Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Random running questions:

Who ran 10km for the first time in about 3 years today???? Who??? Who???

Me!!!! 10km!!!! Double digits baby! :pac:

Was there Womble Hill, Mortons Mountain and Old Bawn Death Climb in the same run???

Yes there bloody was!!!!!!

That is all :o:D

*cough * 14 and a half km today :D .

I'll stop doing this now :o or maybe once more when I get to double digit miles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I was going to ask this in the 'Women's issues' thread, but then I thought, well RED-S affects men and women.

There's been so much in the media in the last year or two about runners - men and women - underfuelling and the negative results of that (whether mainly physical, like Bobby Clay, or physical and psychological, like Mary Cain). I think it's great that there's heightened awareness of this and that coaches / elite athletes etc are becoming more aware that you don't have to be a specific body type or have specific one-size-fits-all weight goals to be a good runner.

However, I know weight is important to runners and Sonia O'Sullivan etc would not have run as fast if she was carrying a lot of excess body weight (I think she even referenced that in her own column after the Mary Cain story broke). Hopefully more awareness of long term health etc will be useful to coaches and elite runners as they try to balance nutrition and leanness when they have big races coming up.

But I was wondering, how common do people think that under-fuelling / RED-s etc is in recreational runners? (I don't want people naming names or referencing local runners they think look a bit thin :)) I'm more wondering if people have found themselves becoming more conscious of their weight, whether that's because it might help performance or because they feel they have to look a certain way to be a runner?

(This isn't a cry for help, I just read a good article on Fast Running
    https://www.fastrunning.com/opinion/comment/why-does-society-push-for-me-to-under-fuel/28524

and I was talking about it with people. It made me think that running COULD make people have different standards of weight to the 'non-running' population (I think this is true for me - if I was comparing myself (& I know I shouldn't be!!) to other women, I'd be comparing myself to the women in my club, not a more sedentary person), and maybe it could also mask disordered eating / under eating because people often accept that runners are light / might be careful about what they eat whereas weight loss / excessive attention to food etc might raise red flags to family and friends if the person wasn't a runner.

I just wondered what people thought - is the pressure around body image (whether from ourselves or from external sources) something that recreational runners in Ireland suffer from, or is it just an issue for the elites?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I have to disagree with you on the quality of that opinion piece.

I think she jumps to her conclusion that society is the cause of her RED-s far too easily with little to no evidence other than anecdotal.

From the article I thought it was quite clear that the cause of her nutritional issues were far simpler than that. In my opinion it was just her own lack of knowledge and ignorance of the subject.

She even states it herself, she was completely uninformed and just didn't know what to eat.
    There was no one pressurising her to eat the wrong foods, she wasn't malnourished.

She blames magazines and TV shows for not providing her with the necessary information.

That's pretty lazy, she has all the information she needs at her fingertips.
    When you're younger you need people to teach you these things or set you in the right direction, even just to tell you that you don't know much about nutrition and to read up on it
    That's her parents' responsibility, her coachs' responsibility, teammates, her own etc.

I think she needs to shoulder the responsibility of this or at least share it with the people that brought her up without informing her before she runs with the society has failed her argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Has the Irish weekly running news ceased on Fast Running?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

OOnegative wrote: »
    Has the Irish weekly running news ceased on Fast Running?
    No (or at least, not as of two days ago): https://www.fastrunning.com/events-and-races/weekend-round-ups/scullion-5th-at-houston-marathon-irish-weekend-round-up/28649

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I just wondered what people thought - is the pressure around body image (whether from ourselves or from external sources) something that recreational runners in Ireland suffer from, or is it just an issue for the elites?

I would say that there is some pressure on men, Helen, but not to the same degree of pressure as there is for women, particularly for younger women.

I've always thought of myself as skinny but I think running is the only sport I've ever done where people get compliments for this. When you are at your lightest, you get "looking fit" or "not a pick on you".

I'm sure I have talked about competitive male runners who look a bit "heavy" or are "carrying a bit of weight", when discussing their performances with some of the coaches; like the detached dissection of a racehorse's frame. Beyond "fitness", it's probably one of the first things brought up when you're rationalising a lacklustre performance.

And while I think there is an awareness and acceptance that people with different body shapes can excel at running, the underlying assumption is always that lighter is better - whatever your natural shape - and bigger guys generally come in for more detailed examination of their bodies.

The complicating factor is that the parameters of 'normal' in running are completely skewed. For example, Chris Solinsky is sometimes put forward as an example of what a 'large' man can do - the fastest "big guy" in the world. He was 6'1" and weighed 75kg (about 4 kgs more than I do), but that's a pretty extreme description of 'large'.

So, if it's part of the culture at the top of the sport, and the framing for 'large' and 'skinny' are so distant from conventional understanding, I think it's inevitable that it permeates discussions at the recreational levels too. There are some good academic articles in discourse analysis amongst runners looking at some of these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

28064212 wrote: »

Cheers, that’s not showing up for me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

What do people generally do when they missed out on a weeks worth of marathon training?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

mickwat155 wrote: »
    What do people generally do when they missed out on a weeks worth of marathon training?

Test the waters on the first day back. Short and slow. If you're fine, chuck in another easy day or two and then you should be good to go. Do not under any circumstances try to fit in the missed session(s) after you get back.

You just have to suck it up. It's rare that you'd get 16 weeks without some kind of niggle, minor injury, chest cold.......

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

Itziger wrote: »
    Test the waters on the first day back. Short and slow. If you're fine, chuck in another easy day or two and then you should be good to go. Do not under any circumstances try to fit in the missed session(s) after you get back.

You just have to suck it up. It's rare that you'd get 16 weeks without some kind of niggle, minor injury, chest cold.......

I hurt myself last Friday after a 14 mile run I knew something wasn't right at mile 12 but I stupidly pushed on because in my head the rest of the run felt good and plus I was stubborn and this happened I'm only a novice runner so I'm not 100% sure what I've done the pain isn't as bad now it's around my glute and hamstring on my right leg im 10 weeks out from Rotterdam my first marathon I've just been resting since it happened then I'm going to my physio on Tuesday so fingers crossed hopefully the fight isn't over yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

How close to a race do you stop the supplementary workouts (S&C, yoga etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I was going to ask this in the 'Women's issues' thread, but then I thought, well RED-S affects men and women.

There's been so much in the media in the last year or two about runners - men and women - underfuelling and the negative results of that (whether mainly physical, like Bobby Clay, or physical and psychological, like Mary Cain). I think it's great that there's heightened awareness of this and that coaches / elite athletes etc are becoming more aware that you don't have to be a specific body type or have specific one-size-fits-all weight goals to be a good runner.

However, I know weight is important to runners and Sonia O'Sullivan etc would not have run as fast if she was carrying a lot of excess body weight (I think she even referenced that in her own column after the Mary Cain story broke). Hopefully more awareness of long term health etc will be useful to coaches and elite runners as they try to balance nutrition and leanness when they have big races coming up.

But I was wondering, how common do people think that under-fuelling / RED-s etc is in recreational runners? (I don't want people naming names or referencing local runners they think look a bit thin :)) I'm more wondering if people have found themselves becoming more conscious of their weight, whether that's because it might help performance or because they feel they have to look a certain way to be a runner?

(This isn't a cry for help, I just read a good article on Fast Running
    https://www.fastrunning.com/opinion/comment/why-does-society-push-for-me-to-under-fuel/28524

and I was talking about it with people. It made me think that running COULD make people have different standards of weight to the 'non-running' population (I think this is true for me - if I was comparing myself (& I know I shouldn't be!!) to other women, I'd be comparing myself to the women in my club, not a more sedentary person), and maybe it could also mask disordered eating / under eating because people often accept that runners are light / might be careful about what they eat whereas weight loss / excessive attention to food etc might raise red flags to family and friends if the person wasn't a runner.

I know from my own (purely personal and anectdotal) experience that, like the runner writing the article, I sometimes bonk on long runs and during/after tough sessions. I had two very recent examples of this, and they have shaken my confidence in the lead up to my next race in a couple of weeks. The problem was almost certainly fuel related - i.e. bad preparation for the session, not eating enough before (including the days before) the session.

For me, this has nothing to do with body image - I am skinny and would actually like to gain some weight. My BMI is in the normal range, but at the low end of that range, and I'd like to have more 'wiggle room'. I often get slagged for complaining about this, but I find it as difficult to put on weight as most others find it difficult to lose. I know this is partly to do with food choices (quality and volume), but also metabolism, and my own exercise load, including cycling, walking, and everything else (e.g. there are a lot of stairs in my house!)

On the other hand, to slightly contradict the above, I suppose my desire to gain some weight could theoretically be put down to body image - I don't think I 'look' as healthy as I would like, and sometimes I've been mildly shocked looking back at photos depicting me at 'marathon weight', some of which border on cacecthic. I have what I would consider a good appetite but genuinely struggle to eat enough of the right kind of foods, during marathon training especially. But I really think it's more to do with just wanting to feel stronger and to have more muscle mass. Do I do strength and conditioning to help with this? Sometimes, but certainly not enough. So I know there are things I have to do, and do better, to 'look' the way I would like. I like to look reasonably fit and healthy and strong, and for me that would involve being about 7-10 lbs heavier, a weight I have only briefly achieved, in the immediate aftermath of quitting the smokes nine years ago.

I think it is beyond doubt that there are cultural and societal pressures on people (mostly women, but also - and increasingly - men, especially younger men) to look 'good', whatever that means at any particular point in time. Apart from all the bullish*t about 'beauty', dress, and grooming, in the current era, marked by unprecedented obesity, it is probably more prized than ever to look athletic and 'fit'. I don't see why this wouldn't affect recreational runners as well as elites, although there is less at stake, perhaps.

Do I know many recreational runners with obvious eating disorders (of the 'deficiency' variety)? No. But I do know plenty of people, myself included, whose training and racing ambitions, however grand or modest, are not matched by their dietary ambitions. Some of this is down to lack of knowledge, some to lack of commitment or 'willpower' (I don't like to use the word lazy, especially in relation to people who are obviously physically and mentally active.) I think there's no doubt that social conditioning around what 'good' looks like make it far easier to get away with undereating than overeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Murph_D wrote: »
    I know from my own (purely personal and anectdotal) experience that, like the runner writing the article, I sometimes bonk on long runs and during/after tough sessions. I had two very recent examples of this, and they have shaken my confidence in the lead up to my next race in a couple of weeks. The problem was almost certainly fuel related - i.e. bad preparation for the session, not eating enough before (including the days before) the session.

For me, this has nothing to do with body image - I am skinny and would actually like to gain some weight. My BMI is in the normal range, but at the low end of that range, and I'd like to have more 'wiggle room'. I often get slagged for complaining about this, but I find it as difficult to put on weight as most others find it difficult to lose. I know this is partly to do with food choices (quality and volume), but also metabolism, and my own exercise load, including cycling, walking, and everything else (e.g. there are a lot of stairs in my house!)

On the other hand, to slightly contradict the above, I suppose my desire to gain some weight could theoretically be put down to body image - I don't think I 'look' as healthy as I would like, and sometimes I've been mildly shocked looking back at photos depicting me at 'marathon weight', some of which border on cacecthic. I have what I would consider a good appetite but genuinely struggle to eat enough of the right kind of foods, during marathon training especially. But I really think it's more to do with just wanting to feel stronger and to have more muscle mass. Do I do strength and conditioning to help with this? Sometimes, but certainly not enough. So I know there are things I have to do, and do better, to 'look' the way I would like. I like to look reasonably fit and healthy and strong, and for me that would involve being about 7-10 lbs heavier, a weight I have only briefly achieved, in the immediate aftermath of quitting the smokes nine years ago.

I think it is beyond doubt that there are cultural and societal pressures on people (mostly women, but also - and increasingly - men, especially younger men) to look 'good', whatever that means at any particular point in time. Apart from all the bullish*t about 'beauty', dress, and grooming, in the current era, marked by unprecedented obesity, it is probably more prized than ever to look athletic and 'fit'. I don't see why this wouldn't affect recreational runners as well as elites, although there is less at stake, perhaps.

Do I know many recreational runners with obvious eating disorders (of the 'deficiency' variety)? No. But I do know plenty of people, myself included, whose training and racing ambitions, however grand or modest, are not matched by their dietary ambitions. Some of this is down to lack of knowledge, some to lack of commitment or 'willpower' (I don't like to use the word lazy, especially in relation to people who are obviously physically and mentally active.) I think there's no doubt that social conditioning around what 'good' looks like make it far easier to get away with undereating than overeating.

Funny, I had you down as a chubby fooker. Must be mixing ya up with someone else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Apologies if this a stupid question, but I'm not overly familiar with the road.
    Would there be any safety issues running this route in the dark?

https://www.strava.com/segments/645949

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

zico10 wrote: »
    Apologies if this a stupid question, but I'm not overly familiar with the road.
    Would there be any safety issues running this route in the dark?

https://www.strava.com/segments/645949

All on footpaths, prob not street lighting all the way but 99.9% of way

Only part id wonder is the little bit, the hill, into the summit car park.
    But I would run it in the dark

Streetlights all the way, including the road up to summit carpark, which is a residential street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I haven't run it at night and can't comment on street lights but I'd have no hesitation running there, it feels very safe and the footpaths are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Thanks for the replies, guys. I ran the route last night and it was perfect for what I wanted. Paths and roads were very quiet, which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

Currently coaching an operation transformation 0to5k group. A lot of different abilities within this group as its a mixture of fitness, yoga, mindfulness classes etc..

My point is when this ends as in previous years people are left in limbo, as everyone just goes back to doing there own thing.
    I'm thinking of taking these people 'under my wing' to encourage them to stick at it. (had a good few requests for this). Anyway drawing up a form to help me and them set out a few plans and expectations.

NAME:

PHONE NUMBER :

AGE CATEGORY :

ABILITY :(can run comfortably) 3k 5k 10k 10k+

PB:

GOALS :eg complete 5k/10k, lower PB, increase distance

Is there anything else I should put in. Maybe a wee disclaimer. All members of a running club but I know I'll have more looking to join that won't want to join the running club. The local GAA organise a 5 and 10k in the summer, so will be looking for coaching. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

If they are members of a running club can they not train with the club?

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    If they are members of a running club can they not train with the club?

Lots of running club members train outside the club, either alone or in organised groups. Not unusual at all. Not all clubs have training sessions that meet everyone's needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

joe35 wrote: »
    My point is when this ends as in previous years people are left in limbo, as everyone just goes back to doing there own thing.
    I'm thinking of taking these people 'under my wing' to encourage them to stick at it. (had a good few requests for this).
    Good luck with it. My club runs a c25k every year with around 100 doing it and probably 90% plus completing the program. Despite getting numerous requests to continue on with something most fade away after a short period. We try to get them involved in club training or group runs for different levels but it never lasts too long. I'd be interested to see how you get on with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Currently coaching an operation transformation 0to5k group. A lot of different abilities within this group as its a mixture of fitness, yoga, mindfulness classes etc..

I'm thinking of taking these people 'under my wing' to encourage them to stick at it. (had a good few requests for this). Anyway drawing up a form to help me and them set out a few plans and expectations.

NAME:

PHONE NUMBER :

AGE CATEGORY :

PB:

Is there anything else I should put in. Maybe a wee disclaimer. All members of a running club but I know I'll have more looking to join that won't want to join the running club. The local GAA organise a 5 and 10k in the summer, so will be looking for coaching. TIA

Next of kin or ICE (in case of emergency). Hopefully it will never be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

At the end of the program my local club bring the group along to Parkrun as their first official 5k. They get a great welcome and encouragement there and they are introduced to somewhere they can continue their running journey should they wish to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

NAME:

PHONE NUMBER :

AGE CATEGORY :

PB:

Half the battle is motivation but holding yourself accountable to a coach and/or peers i find really helps!

Very best of luck with this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

They are members, but within the club there are no coaches willing to take on with coaching these athletes. At adult level it's very much do your own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

How does one breathe while running? What's the best way to maximise use of lung capacity? Does one ever push the abdomen out to try to get more air in? I'm aware that holding the head up and shoulders down is generally a good idea. And mouth or nose? I know that when not running breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth is generally considered the healthiest way to breathe. But is it practical while running?
    Thoughts appreciated
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Sussex18 wrote: »
    How does one breathe while running? What's the best way to maximise use of lung capacity? Does one ever push the abdomen out to try to get more air in? I'm aware that holding the head up and shoulders down is generally a good idea. And mouth or nose? I know that when not running breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth is generally considered the healthiest way to breathe. But is it practical while running?
    Thoughts appreciated
    S
    I've never been able to take in enough air through my nose so definitely through the mouth. My buddy who runs marathons advised me to breath at the pace of my steps. Using the footsteps to count in in out out in in out out. It seems to work for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Wondering how hard people would think progressing from 6k runs to a 10k would be in four weeks would be?
    I'm signed up for a 10k on the 8th of March and between work and the weather I haven't been able to get out training as much as I'd like. I'm doing 6k runs in about 38 minutes currently. I'm not that bithered about doing the 10k in a really good time, I just want to finish it but in a reasonable time i.e I'd like to finish before they reopen the roads to traffic :D
    I'm experiencing a few aches and pains so far, shin splints, sore knees and hips. How much of a strain would it be to get up to a respectable 10k in four weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

You'll survive alright but sort the pains out, its not supposed to be sore!

Advertisement