Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

jfh wrote: »
    i was at a race yesterday & the winner did about 10 hill sprints directly after the race, whats the rationale on this?
    He probably ran it as a session at his tempo pace then finished off with a few hills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

He probably ran it as a session at his tempo pace then finished off with a few hills

that would make sense. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

I'm in the middle of preparing for Rotterdam in April and I've been out of action for about three weeks I'm slowly resuming training I've seen on my Garmin connect app that I've build up nearly 170 mile since November and I've about 6 & 1/2 weeks until race day would it be okay to remain in a good mindset that I'll be able to complete the marathon if I remain injury free and I'm able to get more runs in and continue with the likes of swimming/cross training/yoga and bike work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Any harm to doing those Hill sessions on a treadmill?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

Never ran on a treadmill ������

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Casey78 wrote: »
    Any harm to doing those Hill sessions on a treadmill?

No, hill training is one of the few things a treadmill is actually good at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Can anybody recommend a runner with a wide toe box but normal width everywhere else ?

I’m struggling to get a pair of runners that are not toe squashing torture devices . I buy the same brand same edition runner but somehow they change and I change brand find one that works and then they change again . I go up a size in runners and have spent a fortune over the years buying and then realising I can’t run over 5/6 miles at a go in them !!

All suggestions welcome ! Dr.google suggested Altra runners but they seem like minimalist shoes? Anybody have experience of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a runner with a wide toe box but normal width everywhere else ?

I’m struggling to get a pair of runners that are not toe squashing torture devices . I buy the same brand same edition runner but somehow they change and I change brand find one that works and then they change again . I go up a size in runners and have spent a fortune over the years buying and then realising I can’t run over 5/6 miles at a go in them !!

All suggestions welcome ! Dr.google suggested Altra runners but they seem like minimalist shoes? Anybody have experience of these?

Brooks tend to have a wider forefoot than any other brand I have tried. Adrenaline for stability, Ghost for neutral.

Brooks tend to have a wider forefoot than any other brand I have tried. Adrenaline for stability, Ghost for neutral.

Thanks - I’ve tried brooks a few times . They just didn’t work for me - Last year I wore Adrenaline briefly but my toe nail kept getting caught in the mesh - also wore ghost a few years back - these were ok but I tore my calf wearing them and have been allergic ever since . My physio advises me that I’m a neutral runner as my arch is very high and I couldn’t physically over pronate but gait analysis says otherwise and reckons I’m a slight Over pronator . I really just want comfortable shoes .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Altra - I've used them to run several 24 hour races, and for road training. I like them a lot. The toe box is the best of any shoes I have used, or even seen!

I bought mine in Run Logic. Not sure if they still have them.

Edit : They're not minimalist. Mine are maximumalist. Zero drop though, which I don't really notice, but can cause some people problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

New Balance range has a decent toebox. I have hobbit feet and recommend. Especially the 1080v10

Enduro wrote: »
    Altra - I've used them to run several 24 hour races, and for road training. I like them a lot. The toe box is the best of any shoes I have used, or even seen!

I bought mine in Run Logic. Not sure if they still have them.

Edit : They're not minimalist. Mine are maximumalist. Zero drop though, which I don't really notice, but can cause some people problems

Thanks ! I think that must be were I got minimalist from - “zero drop” getting my terminology all confused!! Is it hard to transition to zero drop shoes?

New Balance range has a decent toebox. I have hobbit feet and recommend. Especially the 1080v10[/quote

Thanks - I’ll take a look at them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Reebok floatride runners have a very generous toe box while being a good fit everywhere else! I have mine a while now & absolutely love them. No issues at all & in fact the most comfortable runners i have bought in a long time. Worth a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I found Mizuno to have a generous toe box too - i wore the Wave Riders (21 iirc) for a while and they were very comfortable. I've no problem with Nike Pegasus either, they are roomy. I found Brooks Ghost to be tight in the toe box, they took me a long time to break in and i still can't wear them for longer than an hour without getting blisters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

New balance I love them. Not saying your feet are as awkward as mine, and I'm certainly not as well experienced in runners as you or the posters above but it took me until 3 weeks ago to twig my toes were being strangled for years!

Apparently you're supposed to go up a size too, which I never knew so it was like Vietnam down there. I got a pair of new balance a few weeks ago, went up a size, and they feel great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

New balance I love them. Not saying your feet are as awkward as mine, and I'm certainly not as well experienced in runners as you or the posters above but it took me until 3 weeks ago to twig my toes were being strangled for years!

Apparently you're supposed to go up a size too, which I never knew so it was like Vietnam down there. I got a pair of new balance a few weeks ago, went up a size, and they feel great.

I go up a half size. A full size sounds like a lot to me but i'm no expert either :)

ariana` wrote: »
    I go up a half size. A full size sounds like a lot to me but i'm no expert either :)

My toes are happy a full size up. But sure all you have to do is try them on and decide which fits better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Question on tempo running.

Am reading mixed opinion on this.

The idea behind a tempo run is to increase your anaerobic threshold, correct?

What side of the line do you run it on?

My threshold HR is 145.

In order to work on increasing it should I run at 145 or just below, or should I run at >145?

Have read both advised.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My toes are happy a full size up. But sure all you have to do is try them on and decide which fits better.

Same here, I'm a 6.5 in normal shoes and a minimum 7.5 in running shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Lazare wrote: »
    Question on tempo running.

Am reading mixed opinion on this.

The idea behind a tempo run is to increase your anaerobic threshold, correct?

What side of the line do you run it on?

My threshold HR is 145.

In order to work on increasing it should I run at 145 or just below, or should I run at >145?

Have read both advised.

The fitter, more aerobically developed you are the more aggressive you can be in my opinion

Cardiac drift as well as effort fluctuation on course profile / weather will be more variable as well so with this in mind unless you are running 80-90+ mpw consistently for years you will benefit more from being conservative (some may disagree with this but based on my own personal experience)

It should be noted though that AnT is on a spectrum it is not a magic pace. A 5k/10k workout can benefit AnT but it is just not the primary target, likewise a steady long run slower than MP can affect it also in a positive way.

KSU wrote: »
    The fitter, more aerobically developed you are the more aggressive you can be in my opinion

Cardiac drift as well as effort fluctuation on course profile / weather will be more variable as well so with this in mind unless you are running 80-90+ mpw consistently for years you will benefit more from being conservative (some may disagree with this but based on my own personal experience)

It should be noted though that AnT is on a spectrum it is not a magic pace. A 5k/10k workout can benefit AnT but it is just not the primary target, likewise a steady long run slower than MP can affect it also in a positive way.

Thanks KSU.

When you say conservative, do you mean keeping it on the aerobic side of the line or do you mean not straying too hard into anaerobic?

Just trying to figure out which side of the line drives adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Lazare wrote: »
    Thanks KSU.

When you say conservative, do you mean keeping it on the aerobic side of the line or do you mean not straying too hard into anaerobic?

Just trying to figure out which side of the line drives adaptation.

I would say stay in the aerobic end as the climbing heart rate for many with cardiac drift will usually have you nearer true AnT in latter stages of a session and generally helps maintain form that might be compromised by fatigue elsewhere.

This is why alot of the time with athletes I generally will have tempo runs closer to MP efforts than LT for sustained efforts (closer to LT for cruise intervals or the likes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Agree with KSU, but just in addition.
    You're training for a half right ? As far as I can recall.
    Some session that would benefit you are,
    After a warm. (Lactate buffering session) Under/over's, 6 mins above threshold by approx 5 bmp, 2 min under by approx 5 bmp then 3 mins over. Cruise intervals 800's depending on you ability. 6 x 800 every 4 mins, so if you take 3 min to run 800 you have 1 min recovery.
    400 building up to 20 x 400, static recovery is hr back to 120, then go again. If you're hr is not back down in 90 sec you need to slow the pace down.

Brilliant stuff. Thanks.

I've three weeks of base left and am then beginning a half block.

ariana` wrote: »
    I found Mizuno to have a generous toe box too - i wore the Wave Riders (21 iirc) for a while and they were very comfortable. I've no problem with Nike Pegasus either, they are roomy. I found Brooks Ghost to be tight in the toe box, they took me a long time to break in and i still can't wear them for longer than an hour without getting blisters.

Nike Pegasus are my go to shoes for a few years Now - a size up but they just don’t work anymore !! I had pegs 35 for the marathon - were a dream . I bought 36 afterwards they hurt so went back online and bought 2 pairs of 35s ( on sale ) but nope somehow they just hurt !!

Only reading this now but went shopping at lunch time and came away with Mizuno wave riders !! I was torn between them on NB 880s so fingers crossed !

Thanks ! I’m a six in non running runners but a 7 in runners but weirdly today in the running shop my feet measured a 7 - so maybe I’ve spent a fortune all these years along wearing the wrong size !!

Thanks ! I’m a six in non running runners but a 7 in runners but weirdly today in the running shop my feet measured a 7 - so maybe I’ve spent a fortune all these years along wearing the wrong size !!

Tell me about it. I never knew and thought you just get your own size. But I never felt a tight obvious squeeze. It was a stealth attack :D The comfort now is so relieving!

Did you get runners in the end? What did you get? :D

Edit...nevermind just saw your other post. Hope you get good wear out of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Anyone ever run while they’ve been in Euro Disney or know if it’s possible to run while there.?

• Advertisement

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Anyone ever run while they’ve been in Euro Disney or know if it’s possible to run while there.?

Pretty sure Browneyes did a half marathon there, not sure if it was fully within it's grounds but means there should be decent space to run.

Advertisement