Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Some of the regulars at Millom parkrun in Cumbria wear football boots as it is so muddy!

A good few runners in Vicarstown and Oldbridge were wearing XC spikes the times I visited (they're all on grass and it was winter).

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LukFwd

Anyone know of any organised runs happening around Lahinch on Jan 1st or 2nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

I have recently started easing myself back into the swing of things after taking a couple of months off following the Dublin marathon. Rather annoyingly, I have been getting a mild burning sensation on the ball of my left foot for the past few weeks which doesn't seem to be going away.

A brief Google suggests I may have Plantar Facitiis which seems to be a common enough problem amongst runners. Has anyone suffered from this or have suggestions how to treat it? I have been trying to break in a new pair of runners which feel a little on the big side which may be a contributing factor. Debating whether or not to go to the physio but I suspect it will be a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

A brief Google suggests I may have

Dr. Google is never the smartest route. I wouldn't go self diagnosing plantar just yet!

Try a different pair of runners. It's happened me before where I got a burning sensation from runners that were slightly too big. I put it down to the friction of the foot moving around in the runner.

Go back to a tried and tested pair of runners and see. Beyond that, go to physio.

Beyond that, pray it's not plantar.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Plantar fasciitis pain not usually under the ball of foot.

Will refrain from any more medical advice, see physio, osteopath or doctor for proper assess and advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Plantar faciitis is much more associated with pain in the heel than pain in the ball of the foot I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I get a pain there when i overdo it, usually if I upped my mileage or just had a particularly hard week ending with my long run. At its worst I had to take a few days off, now that I recognise it i know to pull back the next day if i start to feel it and its gone then the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Just a random questions on runners. You are better to go a half size up for long distance running? Im size 9 and just ordered 9.5 kayano's *insert nervous emoji*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

BKWDR wrote: »
    Just a random questions on runners. You are better to go a half size up for long distance running? Im size 9 and just ordered 9.5 kayano's *insert nervous emoji*

I've never heard that before tbh.

There will be variations between brands alright in terms of sizing and fit but I'd be wary of applying a blanket rule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Personally, I always go up half a size in Asics runners and Merrell's walking boots. I too wear a 9 but find the 9.5's fit me perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

kal7 wrote: »
    Plantar fasciitis pain not usually under the ball of foot.

Will refrain from any more medical advice, see physio, osteopath or doctor for proper assess and advice.

Apologies, that was me being stupid and typing without thinking. I meant my heel, not the ball of my foot :rolleyes:

Booked into a physio anyway as its pretty much a constant burning sensation in my heel despite having not run in a couple of weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Personally, I always go up half a size in Asics runners and Merrell's walking boots. I too wear a 9 but find the 9.5's fit me perfectly.

I'm the same with always needing a half size bigger in everything asic's. They just seem narrower. Mizuno, brooks and nike all feel standard sizing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Completely depends on the model of shoe, as things can vary across different shoes from the same manufacturer. I'd wear a lot of Nike shoes and for example I'd be a 10.5 in the Zoom Streak, but a 10 most other Nikes. Same for the old Adidas Adios 3, I was always a half size up. I've taken a chance buying stuff online that I haven't tried on before and it's always a bit hit and miss tbh. But sometimes that deal is too good not have a punt :)

healy1835 wrote: »
    Completely depends on the model of shoe, as things can vary across different shoes from the same manufacturer. I'd wear a lot of Nike shoes and for example I'd be a 10.5 in the Zoom Streak, but a 10 most other Nikes. Same for the old Adidas Adios 3, I was always a half size up. I've taken a chance buying stuff online that I haven't tried on before and it's always a bit hit and miss tbh. But sometimes that deal is too good not have a punt :)

Yeah im running in NB Synact shoes and thought if im gonna put the mileage in to maybe upgrade to a pair of kayanos. I had GT2000's a couple years back and remember being told (too late) that asics to go up a half size.
    Ordered them off sportsshoes.com so hopefully they are a decent fit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I always get my running shoes half a size bigger than my office shoes, and if they're Adidas then I get a full size bigger because I find them very narrow.

You're doing the right thing!

Depends on the shoe. Almost always same size for me across the board.

Thanks for responses for shoes, i dug up an old photo i took of my original GT2000's and they were a half size bigger. So when they arrive i will know! Thanks

Another question about Heart Rate...Had a resting heart rate of 58 , took it handy over xmas and its back to 70 resting.

I always train faster on my own, just find it hard to slow down (sounds weird) but went out for a run at lunch, now wasnt taking it handy but wasnt busting a gut , was fairly manageable , the splits were even which suggests that but the heart rate....i was wearing a heart rate monitor...

498983.JPG

I know this wasnt a long run, my pace on long run might be 5'40 + but i just find it next to impossible to get the Heart rate down to Z3 + Z2 for endurance which is where i need it to go , training for a marathon. What am i doing wrong? is it just fitness level? Like if i slow RIGHT down it feels like id be quicker walking!
    (Heart rate / zones calculated based upon 220-age)

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

(Heart rate / zones calculated based upon 220-age)

220-age won't give an accurate max hr or set of zones. Use this guide/calculator to get a much better idea of what your zones are: https://datacranker.com/heart-rate-training-zones-calculator/

It won't be 100% accurate, but will be much closer.

deconduo wrote: »
    220-age won't give an accurate max hr or set of zones. Use this guide/calculator to get a much better idea of what your zones are: https://datacranker.com/heart-rate-training-zones-calculator/

It won't be 100% accurate, but will be much closer.

Thanks for that! I've gone in and done a custom job on the zones in strava based upon the data from the last 20 mins AVG HRM on the run i just did and this is the adjustment, which looks better i have to say. Will monitor it, i might do a handy park run tomorrow and see what that spits out

498995.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

Marathon query

When would it be advisable to do any sort of strength training if I'm doing a short to medium run on Tuesday's & Wednesday's a medium run on Thursday's and a long run on Saturday's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Marathon query

When would it be advisable to do any sort of strength training if I'm doing a short to medium run on Tuesday's & Wednesday's a medium run on Thursday's and a long run on Saturday's?
    In an ideal world I'd like like to do my strength training after a session or the day after it on a easy day. Then try and do plyometrics the day before a session. It never really works out that way for me. I'd recommend anyone getting in on the habit of doing now rather later in the season. Also log it like your runs if that's on paper or strava etc like me (although I keep my strength training private)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I agree with this - there's a lot of science behind doing S&C on the same day as a hard run/Session.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I agree with this - there's a lot of science behind doing S&C on the same day as a hard run/Session.

Any links?

I do it on my easy days, but I dont go mad, I will only have doms if I've missed a week. I've tried it both ways and its just what works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Marathon query

What you consider Strength training will have a bearing

If you see it as Core, dumbells,bodyweight exercises, plyometrics I would say fine to do on any day (including easy days or Session days) Alot of the UK club system tend to operate with Core etc day before a session. You might feel DOMS but the nature of endurance running means that this won't affect benefits of the session.

With True strength lifts (close to maximal effort with low reps). These generally are heavily based in Nervous system and as a result are highly fatigue-able so require a good bit of recovery as such they shouldn't be done on easy days as will impede overall recovery between session (unless you are in base mileage phase)

The benefit of doing these on session days is that they are keeping hard days hard and easy days easy but also workouts prior to lift can aid HGH production which can complement your lifting. Ideally recommendations are approx 3 hrs between run workout and lifting as it is close enough so that your body has not yet hit adaptation phase post run workout but long enough to allow you reprieve from the run workout. This is not always possible with life commitments but ideally you want to do the run before the lifting as it poses less of an injury risk (lift movements more controlled and the ability to bail on a lift mean fatigue can be managed from an injury risk assessment vs gravity and its impact on muscle force in running motion which can't be controlled - when your foot hits ground body weight is gonna follow suit no matter what sort of bio-mechanical form and muscular stability is supporting it)

Hey folks,

I'm pacing our local 10K this weekend and while I'm comfortable with the pace (50 mins) I'm not sure what the best approach is to take.

The course itself is a reasonably typical rural route with a couple of dirty climbs thrown in near the end and then a fairly fast downhill finish for the last 1K or so.

The first 4K is one of those subtle drags that you'd think was flat in the car, then there's a couple of km on gentle ups and downs, followed by a decent downhill stretch which brings you to the foot of a long and relatively steep climb, there's a turn at the summit, another gentle drag, short downhill then another dirty long drag with a steep bit at the top before turning again for the final 1K downhill.

Anyway, tldr, would I be as well just going out at a steady pace and holding it for the entire distance or would it be better to bank some time on the easier sections ?? I have a feeling I could lose a few going up that long hill at 5 min per km pace.

Cheers cm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm pacing our local 10K this weekend and while I'm comfortable with the pace (50 mins) I'm not sure what the best approach is to take.

The course itself is a reasonably typical rural route with a couple of dirty climbs thrown in near the end and then a fairly fast downhill finish for the last 1K or so.

The first 4K is one of those subtle drags that you'd think was flat in the car, then there's a couple of km on gentle ups and downs, followed by a decent downhill stretch which brings you to the foot of a long and relatively steep climb, there's a turn at the summit, another gentle drag, short downhill then another dirty long drag with a steep bit at the top before turning again for the final 1K downhill.

Anyway, tldr, would I be as well just going out at a steady pace and holding it for the entire distance or would it be better to bank some time on the easier sections ?? I have a feeling I could lose a few going up that long hill at 5 min per km pace.

Cheers cm

If i was following a pacer i'd expect them to run even splits. It depends on the size of the group but you could keep them informed as you go, the course knowledge could be reassuring, especially when there's a downhill bit coming up.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Cheers cm

I think the main thing is communicating wiht the group, if people gather around you at the start to let them know about the course and where you intend picking up time or dropping it off and keeping people in the loop of whats to come but to stay as close to the even splits where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I think the main thing is communicating wiht the group, if people gather around you at the start to let them know about the course and where you intend picking up time or dropping it off and keeping people in the loop of whats to come but to stay as close to the even splits where possible

If the race organiser hasn’t specifically asked for even splits, I’d tend towards even effort rather than pace. From what you describe that’s a tough course to pace (and to race), so I’d be taking it easy on the outward drag, making up where possible, trying to limit the damage on the final hills and trusting/encouraging the group to express themselves towards the end, if they can. If not, they cling to you all the way to the end. As said above, your talking then through the course will really help. Ultimately, pacers who talk and encourage get more buy-in from struggling runners, I think, even if you’re annoying the sh*t out of them.

You’ve done the course homework anyway. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the replies - the main takeaway is the importance of communication with the group on the day.

I'll catch up with the race organisers later this week to see what approach they have in mind as well.

Advertisement