Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass unmarked grave for 800 babies in Tuam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

while looking for something else I came across this http://theraggedwagon.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/new-evidence-that-irish-children-were-murdered/ - its dated 2009. We should have been doing something about this far sooner than now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Why don't you read what Corless actually said and not what Boland chose to report she said before you come in here making claims?

Full transcript of Corless' interview with Boland here: http://www.rabble.ie/2014/06/07/late-and-off-the-point/
    Very strange how the Irish Times is taking this negative angle. First they ignore the whole story while others are reporting it, then they try to debunk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If you do a google news search for Catherine Corless today, you'll fine loads of links from the whitewash brigade:

Ireland: Historian refutes 'septic tank' story, The Tuam tank: another myth about evil Ireland, etc.

I Heart Internet is not the only one clutching at this straw.

I did just that and didn't find any "whitewashing".
    I found a freethought blog, who edited* her (Corless') paper into a more digestible synopsis; an Irish Times article by Corless herself saying she is being wildly misquoted and a Journal.ie page that has nothing 'new'. (Maybe clarification is whitewashing to you?) Interestingly, Corless initially sought funding to mark the site as a burial ground for the children who died. She bought the death records herself and wants those who died commemorated.

I'm not surprised that so many have readily swallowed - hook, line and sinker - every claim in the Media for the past 2-3 weeks: it confirms their bias.

*there is a FB page with the same entry, so I don't know who actually edited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Firedance wrote: »
    while looking for something else I came across this http://theraggedwagon.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/new-evidence-that-irish-children-were-murdered/ - its dated 2009. We should have been doing something about this far sooner than now :(

Taken from the article:

"For instance, 58 ex-industrial school pupils and former Magdalen women committed suicide between 2000 and 2005."

That's heart-breaking. I'm welling up reading that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

an Irish Times article by Corless herself saying she is being wildly misquoted

No, you didn't.

• Advertisement

Sweetest divine!

dump
    dʌmp/Submit
    verb

past tense: dumped; past participle: dumped
    deposit or dispose of (rubbish, waste, or unwanted material), typically in a careless or hurried way

How would you describe it?

Placed with loving care accompanied by suitable rituals in a marked grave?

They were dumped anonymously in communal graves, a yet to be determined number were dumped in a septic tank, no records were kept.

Yesterday's Independent wrote that they were "buried beside the septic tank". Call it wordplay, but there is a difference between the two phrases.
    And no-one yet knows if a ceremony was conducted or if the bodies were lowered in or dropped or dumped. But, from your emphasis, it is like you want them to have been dumped?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

recedite wrote: »
    Very strange how the Irish Times is taking this negative angle. First they ignore the whole story while others are reporting it, then they try to debunk it.

Innit.

Yesterday's Independent wrote that they were "buried beside the septic tank". Call it wordplay, but there is a difference between the two phrases.
    And no-one yet knows if a ceremony was conducted or if the bodies were lowered in or dropped or dumped. But, from your emphasis, it is like you want them to have been dumped?

Until an excavation is conducted no one can say for sure.

One would think if there they went to the trouble to have ceremony they could have made a wee note about where the bodies were now wouldn't one.

Who wrote that by the way - you seem to have forgotten to provide a linky...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Yesterday's Independent wrote that they were "buried beside the septic tank".

Yes, but they totally made that up. The only facts we know are:

1) 796 children died, and their burials were not registered anywhere

2) The old septic tank was reported by locals to be full of human skeletons, little ones.

That's it for facts, so far.

I did just that and don't want to find any "whitewashing".

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Until an excavation is conducted no one can say for sure.

Then why do you insist on saying they were dumped when even Catherine Corless, who has more information than anyone/most says explicetly that they were not dumped?

Yes, but they totally made that up. The only facts we know are:

1) 796 children died, and their burials were not registered anywhere

2) The old septic tank was reported by locals to be full of human skeletons, little ones.

That's it for facts, so far.

Oh, we have loads more facts. Many of them posted here in this vary thread with linkys and everything.

But some people wouldn't believe it if you brought them back in the Tardis so they could see it with their own eyes. They would claim we were in an alternate universe and timey-wimey.

Then why do you insist on saying they were dumped when even Catherine Corless, who has more information than anyone/most says explicetly that they were not dumped?

She has not said this!

That's twice I've had to call you up on this.

Because being terribly well educated I understand what the word 'dumped' means.

Why I even posted the dictionary definition in post #1309.

No, you didn't.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/tuam-mother-and-baby-home-the-trouble-with-the-septic-tank-story-1.1823393

"She now says the nature of their burial was widely misrepresented"

Don't get me wrong. I seek no apology.

https://www.google.com/search?q=catherine+corless&oq=ca&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=catherine+corless&tbm=nws
    Google search for "Catherine Corless" under the News tab.

I just love being right

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/tuam-mother-and-baby-home-the-trouble-with-the-septic-tank-story-1.1823393

"She now says the nature of their burial was widely misrepresented"

Don't get me wrong. I seek no apology.

https://www.google.com/search?q=catherine+corless&oq=ca&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=catherine+corless&tbm=nws
    Google search for "Catherine Corless" under the News tab.

I just love being right

MODS - any chance of putting it in the charter that people who repeatedly post information that has been debunked time and time again in the same thread be infracted for time wasting and not bothering to read back even a few pages??

She has not said this!

That's twice I've had to call you up on this.

It's the first line of Saturday's Irish Times article. The very first line.

‘I never used that word ‘dumped’,” Catherine Corless, a local historian in Co Galway, tells The Irish Times. “I never said to anyone that 800 bodies were dumped in a septic tank. That did not come from me at any point. They are not my words.”

That's not what you've written. Not in the slightest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's a difference between saying something wasn't dumped and saying you never used the word "dumped".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I Heart Internet, this has already been gone over already.

Again and again it just comes across that you want to do anything you can to de-rail the thread and you appear to be more outraged over the use of one or two words then the overall deaths and treatment of children.

Watch the bloody interview will you!

• Advertisement

Will you for f*ck sake read the f*ucking transcript of the interview or watch the f*cking video of the interview the IT put on their own f*cking website!!!

I'll take the infraction without quibble for that if you feel one is justified mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Are you lot seriously arguing about a WORD!!!!

If you want to argue about a word argue about this one.

WHY?

Why was there 796 bodies in a mass unmarked grave?
    Why was nobody looking into the high % rate of deaths in the Children and Mothers care homes?
    Why was the government of the time doing nothing about this?
    Why was the people who ran the home not properly overseen?

I could go on for pages like this, just like you have, about one word but at least people would be talking about the right thing when they argued about Why.

Arguing about "Dumped" vs Arguing about 796 (And possibly more) dead children.

What the hell is wrong with you.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I Heart Internet, this has already been gone over already.

Again and again it just comes across that you want to do anything you can to de-rail the thread and you appear to be more outraged over the use of one or two words then the overall deaths and treatment of children.

Watch the bloody interview will you!

I watched the interview. You seem to be labouring under the illusion that the 3 minute interview records everything that Catherine Corless said to Rosita Boland. It's be a pretty slim interview if that was the case.

Are you suggestiing that Rosita Boland is lying when she records her interviewee as saying:
    ‘I never used that word ‘dumped’,” Catherine Corless, a local historian in Co Galway, tells The Irish Times. “I never said to anyone that 800 bodies were dumped in a septic tank. That did not come from me at any point. They are not my words.”

Has Rosita Boland made up these words attributed to Catherine Corless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I watched the interview. You seem to be labouring under the illusion that the 3 minute interview records everything that Catherine Corless said to Rosita Boland. It's be a pretty slim interview if that was the case.

Are you suggestiing that Rosita Boland is lying when she records her interviewee as saying:

STOP!!!!!

Just stop!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A word is more important to me than what actually happened - I Heart Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

'Congratulations - You are Now A Level II Apologist'
    'You gain the "Neck Of Steel" passive skill'
    'You gain the "Deflection" defensive tactic'

Will you for f*ck sake read the f*ucking transcript of the interview or watch the f*cking video of the interview the IT put on their own f*cking website!!!

I'll take the infraction without quibble for that if you feel one is justified mods.

I read the transcript earlier, and viewed the video. The transcript is a transcript of the video recording, not a transcript of Rosita Boland's full interview. unless you're suggesting that Rosita Boland wrote her article based on 3min 33s of speech from Catherine Corless.

Are you suggesting, just so I'm clear, that Rosita Boland is lying when she attributes the following words to Catherine Corless?

Are you saying Catherine Corless never said this? Or are you just saying that it's not part of the 3min 33s video clip?

Ravenid wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A word is more important to me than what actually happened - I Heart Internet

No it's not. Whether 800 bodies, or 1, were dumped in a septic pit is very important to me. So important, in fact, that I'd actually like to know what happened.

bumper234 wrote: »
    STOP!!!!!

Just stop!:mad:

Simple question....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Who gives two sh!ts if she actually said the word dumped or not? I'm saying it. If there is one body in that septic tank it was dumped there. Hells, I'm inclined to say that even if they were buried in the ground on the plot the fact that they weren't given a proper funeral would equate with them being dumped in my eyes. They were discarded with, apparently, ne'er a thought from the nuns.

If all you can do is quibble about whether or not she used a word rather than one of its synonyms then your entire argument is piss-poor.

Advertisement