Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Rothmans wrote: »

news gets worse all the time. I'd say they will just keep it at 13,000 and add new members everytime it drops below that.:o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

I really hope we get results tomorrow. It's getting excruciating at this stage :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

With more medicals happening next week and physicals the week after they could be waiting til after then to make offers? It would still be a good month before the start date if it's sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

carzony wrote: »
    news gets worse all the time. I'd say they will just keep it at 13,000 and add new members everytime it drops below that.:o:(

That was always the plan, from the start that's exactly what's been said. The problem is that now by the time the 105 pass out from templemore the numbers will be down to 12,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

teaisgreat wrote: »
    With more medicals happening next week and physicals the week after they could be waiting til after then to make offers? It would still be a good month before the start date if it's sept.

Hopefully that will not be the case, but you have certainly made a fair point. That would be cruel though. This uncertainty is really bothering me!

If it were the case that offers would not be offered for another few weeks, if HRM could even send us an e-mail to keep us informed about what was going on then I'm sure it would ease the pain slightly.

Now that we are on the topic of medicals, did anyone else have their testicles examined? I was not expecting that. I mean if you only have one testicle, are you not competent to carry out Garda duties? Well I suppose you have to have balls to be a garda!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    As constructive as always Santa Cruz, keep up the good work

Thank you. A bit of realism goes a long way. A competition announced last October and not a Garda trained yet. Now put back until September.
    How many times can the Government get away with making the announcement about increased Garda numbers, raising people hopes only to delay the matter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Hopefully that will not be the case, but you have certainly made a fair point. That would be cruel though. This uncertainty is really bothering me!

If it were the case that offers would not be offered for another few weeks, if HRM could even send us an e-mail to keep us informed about what was going on then I'm sure it would ease the pain slightly.

Now that we are on the topic of medicals, did anyone else have their testicles examined? I was not expecting that. I mean if you only have one testicle, are you not competent to carry out Garda duties? Well I suppose you have to have balls to be a garda!

Full medical, men had testicles examined and women had their breasts examined as far as I know.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Thank you. A bit of realism goes a long way. A competition announced last October and not a Garda trained yet. Now put back until September.
    How many times can the Government get away with making the announcement about increased Garda numbers, raising people hopes only to delay the matter again.

Santa is correct though. 8 months has passed and no real developments. Its a joke... what's gonna be their next excuse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

People were on a panel for 4 years and HRM never once made any correspondence with them bar September 2013 to say "good luck to yee all"...
    You only have to wait 4 weeks more (if even)... hang in there and keep the faith. You'll be going soon.

Keep fit in the mean time and maybe practice your mile and a half in 15mins ;)
    That will keep ye ticking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Santa is correct though. 8 months has passed and no real developments. Its a joke... what's gonna be their next excuse ?

No real developments? They've whittled the numbers down to a manageable amount and gone through numerous online assessments, supervised assessments, medicals, PCTs, interviews, etc. I understand the frustration but to say there have been no real developments is clearly wrong.

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    No real developments? They've whittled the numbers down to a manageable amount and gone through numerous online assessments, supervised assessments, medicals, PCTs, interviews, etc. I understand the frustration but to say there have been no real developments is clearly wrong.

it could have been done a lot faster though.. 8 months seems like a massive amount of time and their only at the vetting stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

it could have been done a lot faster though.. 8 months seems like a massive amount of time and their only at the vetting stage..

They always had the start date penned for end of July. They are 4 weeks off that so not too bad. It's not as if they had planned to have us in by January 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

To think this could have been the last day in work for so many of us, with templemore looming for us on Monday morn

Depressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Scouser wrote: »
    To think this could have been the last day in work for so many of us, with templemore looming for us on Monday morn

Depressing!

It sucks alright that the start date has moved but look on the positive side, this time next year some of us will be on the beat as members of An Garda Síochána; now that's a great feeling! Roll on September!!

almeraguy wrote: »
    It sucks alright that the start date has moved but look on the positive side, this time next year some of us will be on the beat as members of An Garda Síochána; now that's a great feeling! Roll on September!!

I was on the beat as a member of An Garda Siochana yesterday evening :P :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lcrossan884

Are you allowed to carry water during bleep test at the pct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

There's really need. The whole thing start to finish is only just over ten minutes.

no way

if you spilled any it would be a serious hazard on the wooden floor - to you and others

a guy beside me had a cold and was hocking phlegm up and spitting it into his tshirt so as to not ruin the floor ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

What's the story with the press ups lads for the PCT? Are they really strict on form?? I know your whole body has to be straight, but what I am more interested in is where I place my hands ( obviously on the floor but how far out etc ). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lcrossan884

Cheers folks i was just wondering, ive been training with and without water, but thought i might as well ask to know for definite, ill be running without from now on LoL!!

• Advertisement

mickaleen wrote: »
    What's the story with the press ups lads for the PCT? Are they really strict on form?? I know your whole body has to be straight, but what I am more interested in is where I place my hands ( obviously on the floor but how far out etc ). Thanks.

Straight back and 90 degree bend at the elbow is what they are looking for.They are strict on form. There was no directions given for placing of your hands.
    I had my hands slightly wider than shoulder width on the day and there were no problems.

Best of luck, when are you going for the test?

I have my medical next Tuesday morning and then physical sometime in the following week. I am doing them press ups like you, slightly wider then the shoulders and doing them fine. Just hoping that will suffice on the day.

I have my medical next Tuesday morning and then physical sometime in the following week. I am doing them press ups like you, slightly wider then the shoulders and doing them fine. Just hoping that will suffice on the day.

Sounds like you won't have a problem with them. Enjoy the day, you will only have to do it once to get through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

If you dont mind me asking, where were you guys placed in the ranking order? Thanks

I placed not too far inside the top 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Any one get any more info from HRM?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Dongaz wrote: »

Nope... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Dongaz wrote: »

Be a while lads. Iv made my peace with it

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭eroc79

Did you get an email confirming your medical for tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭eroc79

Did you get an email confirming your medical for tuesday?

Advertisement