Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

I came in the 30's but it took days for me to get notice of my medical after they started. I think HR will focus on them for a few days and we won't hear till next wed or third till after the new instructors start... But I really hope that's not the case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

So pcts could be starting again soon aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

kev-bt wrote: »
    Can you defer stage 5? Also if you fail medical or physical do you get to re-test or are you gone like other stages?

If your BMI is over 30, you fail. They're zero tolerance on that one. There is some movement on the eyesight, if you go get laser surgery. You need to have your 6 week cert though, to pass the medical. Otherwise, deferral.

Plenty of people have failed the physical, some on the bleep test, some on push/pull, some on strength and some on the obstacle course. I don't know anyone personally who has, but apparently, you're given another opportunity in the future to resit the physical if you fail the first time (At the discretion of the instructors etc.) Your best bet is to nail it first time round!

Best of luck! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

If your BMI is over 30, you fail. They're zero tolerance on that one. There is some movement on the eyesight, if you go get laser surgery. You need to have your 6 week cert though, to pass the medical. Otherwise, deferral.

Plenty of people have failed the physical, some on the bleep test, some on push/pull, some on strength and some on the obstacle course. I don't know anyone personally who has, but apparently, you're give another opportunity in the future to resit the physical if you fail the first time (At the discretion of the instructors etc.) Your best bet is to nail it first time round!

Best of luck! :-)

Incorrect on the BMI

They will take a hip to waist ratio measurement

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Incorrect on the BMI

Just repeating what the doc herself told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

I came in the 30's but it took days for me to get notice of my medical after they started. I think HR will focus on them for a few days and we won't hear till next wed or third till after the new instructors start... But I really hope that's not the case!!

Medicals/physicals weren't done by order of merit. Not sure how they did it but wasn't by order of merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Incorrect on the BMI

When there is doubt. A lot of people will fail even if they do take the waist to hip measurement, unless they're in the atlhlete/weightlifting kinda category.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

This is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

There has been a lot of fails and deferrals at stage 5, so we have a good chance of making the first intake. Only time will tell!

Thanks! Lets hope so. After getting so far it would be a shame not to be in the first intake!

Well, I'm placed in the early 130s and I'm hoping to make the first intake :-)

There has been a lot of fails and deferrals at stage 5, so we have a good chance of making the first intake. Only time will tell!

Thanks! Lets hope so. After getting so far it would be a shame not to be in the first intake!

• Advertisement

My sentiments exactly! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭eroc79

Chem Lord wrote: »

Was told to only accept the medical date next week if I would be available to do the pct the following week.

Was told to only accept the medical date next week if I would be available to do the pct the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

If your BMI is over 30, you fail. They're zero tolerance on that one.

I know of someone who failed this and was told that's the end of the road but after using some influence from within AGS was then passed. Bit of a joke that's going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

babybell wrote: »
    I know of someone who failed this and was told that's the end of the road but after using some influence from within AGS was then passed. Bit of a joke that's going on

MOD

We'll nip that right there. It's hear say and it won't be discussed here. It will only lead to trouble. No further discussion on it thanks.

If there's a discussion to be had regarding nepotism, back handers, etc someone can mail me to discuss and I'll talk to the other mods about it and what forum it would be suited to

-KERSPLAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

What sort of problem would make you fail the medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

mrDerek wrote: »
    What sort of problem would make you fail the medical?

Well they have a dispensation under the disabilities act so anything really that they deem that would significantly hinder your performance. The main ones, however are listed in the familiarisation booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

The fact that they are trying to get people through medicals and physicals so quickly might perhaps suggest that they are still making up the first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Rothmans wrote: »
    The fact that they are trying to get people through medicals and physicals so quickly might perhaps suggest that they are still making up the first class.

I see your point but how many PCT's were held? 4 at least. Hardly resulted in 60 fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Did my medical last month and got deferred, sent them in the info they wanted and still haven't heard if they've passed me or not. If they're running more pcts in a couple of weeks I'll be annoyed if they haven't made a decision before then so I can do the pct during the next run of them if I pass

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

The info trickling down is not good

What info???

Supposing everything works out ok and we are given the green light to enter Templemore, does anyone know if you have to pay for your meals out of the €184 weekly grant? I hope not cos I have a family to support and I will have to send every penny home to cover bills and mortgage etc. I dont know how I am going to afford childcare costs too but hopefully it will all work out ok in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Supposing everything works out ok and we are given the green light to enter Templemore, does anyone know if you have to pay for your meals out of the €184 weekly grant? I hope not cos I have a family to support and I will have to send every penny home to cover bills and mortgage etc. I dont know how I am going to afford childcare costs too but hopefully it will all work out ok in the end.

Your accommodation and food is provided and is not deducted from the 184e.

octigen wrote: »
    I see your point but how many PCT's were held? 4 at least. Hardly resulted in 60 fails.

Aye, I thought that too. But that's based on an implicit assumption that everyone passed the medical. Obviously we can't know the fail rate for the medical. However, anecdotal evidence would suggest the rate of deferrals wasn't insignificant! On top of that there are the apparent 41 who failed physical. That would leave hrm struggling to make up the 105. And that's before we bring vetting into the picture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

The Government has announced that new gardaí due to be recruited this month will not now begin training until early September.

The 100 applicants are the first new members to join the force in more than five years.

Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald said sanction had been received from Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin but did not say why the recruitment had been delayed.

Senior gardaí have expressed concern that the strength of the force has now dropped below 13,000 and the new recruits will not be sufficient to bring the numbers above that figure.

It takes two years before a recruit becomes a fully-trained garda.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0717/631398-garda-training/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

33 from the Irish stream passed stage 4. The ministers comments Tuesday 15 July 2014:
    I have been informed by the Garda Commissioner that recruitment to An Garda Síochána is in accordance with the Public Service Management (Recruitment Appointment) Act 2004.
    The Public Appointments Service was established under that Act as a central recruitment agency and the Public Appointments Service undertook the initial stages of the recruitment process for Garda Trainee.

The first intake of approximately one hundred Garda Trainees to the Garda College is scheduled to take place in the coming weeks.
    A total of 33 applicants in the Irish Stream were successful at the Interview Stage and have commenced the Stage 5
    process i.e. Vetting, Medical, Physical Competence Test. It is expected that a number of applicants from this stream will be included in the first intake into the Garda College.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-07-15a.1518&s=garda+recruitment#g1520.r

"The coming weeks" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I wonder when early september will turn into late sept then early oct etc etc blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

20times wrote: »
    Your accommodation and food and haircuts is provided and is not deducted from the 184e.

Twould be great wouldn't it

• Advertisement

Advertisement