Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

^^^ Jebus, far too much information in that last post ^^^ Pre-taper madness?

Mon 8 Sep

Rest.

Tue 9 Sep

5.1 mi @ 8:58 (8.3 km @ 5:35)

Early pre-breakfast few miles on the seafront. Dead calm.

Wed 10 Sep

14 mi @ MP + 2 mi c/d.

The plan suggested 14 mi at MP (8:20/mi) with no warmup. This really shows the value of a proper warmup - felt really weird for the first couple of miles, there seemed to be little connection between effort and pace. But settled in on the way up the Royal Canal to Ashtown and across for a circuit of the Phoenix Park. Warm late afternoon in Dublin (17 deg C) so this was a tough enough outing. Idyllic conditions in the park (they're cutting the hay at the moment, that's how nice the weather is) marred by heavy traffic as it was rush hour.

Didn't record mile splits but in the spirit of a metric Berlin marathon I'll give the 5k splits for the 22.5k @ MP (target 25:50)

25:31 25:39 25:56 25:38 (12:26)

Didn't feel good at all on this run, possibly due to the heat, plus lack of sleep last night. I'm usually pretty light on the feet but if felt like I was hitting the ground with a lot more force than usual. But delighted to be able to grind this out under the conditions. Finished with a very leisurely cooldown.

WTD: 21 mi (34 km)
    MTD: 76 mi (122 km)
    YTD: 939 mi (1,511 km)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Murph_D wrote: »
    ^

Wed 10 Sep

14 mi @ MP + 2 mi c/d.

The plan suggested 14 mi at MP (8:20/mi) with no warmup. This really shows the value of a proper warmup - felt really weird for the first couple of miles, there seemed to be little connection between effort and pace. But settled in on the way up the Royal Canal to Ashtown and across for a circuit of the Phoenix Park. Warm late afternoon in Dublin (17 deg C) so this was a tough enough outing. Idyllic conditions in the park (they're cutting the hay at the moment, that's how nice the weather is) marred by heavy traffic as it was rush hour.

Didn't record mile splits but in the spirit of a metric Berlin marathon I'll give the 5k splits for the 22.5k @ MP (target 25:50)

25:31 25:39 25:56 25:38 (12:26)

Didn't feel good at all on this run, possibly due to the heat, plus lack of sleep last night. I'm usually pretty light on the feet but if felt like I was hitting the ground with a lot more force than usual. But delighted to be able to grind this out under the conditions. Finished with a very leisurely cooldown.

Wrap it up now you're sorted.
    Just like the phoenix park, the hay is in the barn (great metaphor). Enjoy the 2.5 week taper and the race

The hay is in the barn - I like that. Will try to keep it safe over the next two and a half weeks.

Thu 11 Sep

50 mins recovery: 5.1 mi @ 9:53 (8.1 km @ 6:09)

Lunchtime run from DCU to Marino via Griffith Ave and back. Had to dodge a lot of dawdling schoolboys.

Sat 13 Sep

3.1 mi @ 8:18 (5 km @ 5:10)

Paced Mrs. M to a parkrun PB. :) Wasn't wearing a watch so happy that this turned out to be pretty much exactly at my MP. Dialing it in. :cool: Ferris B was timekeeping today. I've a feeling he'll be back sooner rather than later.

WTD: 29 mi (47 km)
    MTD: 84 mi (135 km)
    YTD: 947 mi (1,524 km
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

The hay is in the barn - I like that. Will try to keep it safe over the next two and a half weeks.

It's far from hay you were reared! or barns for that matter

• Advertisement

Sun 13 Sep

16.2 mi @ 9:08 (26 km @ 5:40)

Headed south to Dun Laoghaire pier for this one, bumping into the Stews just after turning around for the homeward leg. A bit of Berlin chat, naturally. Nice run at easy pace. Stuck in a couple of sub-MP kms near the end, because this might have to be done on the big day.

WTD: 46 mi (73 km)
    MTD: 100 mi (161 km)
    YTD: 963 mi (1,550 km)

Weds 19 Sep

10 miles @ 8:32 avg (16.1k @ 5:18)
    Was feeling a little tired and had a couple of twinges in the right calf so took an extra day's rest (the only run skipped over the course of the plan so no big deal). This morning's session was 10 mi with 8 at MP. After a mile or so of a warm up I launched into the MP but got a stitch pretty much right away (possibly due to going out too soon after breakfast). It was a couple of miles before it settled at which point the run got more comfortable and I was able to make up the lost time easily enough.

Followed this run with a trip out to ecoli's for a massage - a bit of tightness around the hamstring and hips but the calves were in good shape, apparently. Great rubdown, safely out of the way with plenty of time before the big day.

I treated myself afterwards to a McDonalds (yes, I know :o) and in the queue a guy taps me on the shoulder and asks am I an ultra runner (I was still in my gear). We have a little chat and he turns out to be Shane Healy, the 1996 Olympic 1500m man. Friendly chap!

WTD:10 mi (16 km)
    MTD: 110 mi (177 km)
    YTD: 973 mi (1,566 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sounds like all the athlete's are dining in McDonald's nowadays so :).

Are we meeting there for a pre-race meal in Berlin?

I hear Burger King is popular with the DCM crowd. :)

Thu 18 Sep

4.4 mi @ 8:40

Although I joined the club a few weeks ago I haven't been doing any sessions there as I'm committed to the meno plan. But I went along tonight as I had to pick up the singlet and joined the easy run in Sean Moore Park and the Irishtown Nature Reserve. Very pleasant, if a bit faster than my normal recovery pace. I can see already how being in a club makes you faster. Hopefully not too late for an oul fella like me.

• Advertisement

Sat 20 Sep

MLR at the Race Series HM: 13.1 mi @ 9:16 (21.1 km @ 5:46) Chip Time: 2:01:44

Final longish run before Berlin. Ran the whole way with de missus who had a great day and an 18 min PB. Really enjoyed the event. Apart from parkruns, I've never done a race as a training run and it was much more fun than I'd anticipated. Great day with ideal conditions. Nice to get a shout out from Ferris B on the second Chesterfield stretch. We bumped into Mrs. FBOT01 afterwards who'd also had a very good day. Big numbers today - took forever to get out of the Park!

Well done to all the organisers, volunteers, pacers and participants - another flawless Race Series this year.

WTD:29 mi (46 km)
    MTD: 129 mi (208 km)
    YTD: 992 mi (1,597 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good man D. Everything is going super for you at the moment and many congrats to Mrs Murph_D!

Not long now for you. You're going to do great in Berlin.

Sun 21 Sep

3.7 mi @ 10:34 (6 km @ 6:28)

Accompanied herself on her recovery run on the seafront, before heading for Croke Park. Lovely calm autumnal morning. The less said about the GAA the better.

One week to go...

WTD: 33 mi (52 km)
    MTD: 133 mi (214 km)
    YTD: 996 mi (1,603 km)

Tue 23 Sep

3.1 mi @ 9:09 (5.1 km @ 5:41)

Hate these little taper runs - I often find them uncomfortable and sure enough got a stitch towards the end of this. Dunno why, but this happens to me every year. Still - didn't trip over any kerbs or fall into any holes or play chicken with the traffic so all's well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Sunday D, hope you run the race your training deserves.

Weds 24 Sep

5.1 mi @ 8:41 avg. (8.2 km @ 5:24)

Last of the little pace runs - this one was supposed to have 3 miles at MP (8:16) but unlike yesterday I was feeling good and knocked them out at 8:02 average. Helped by a guy running close behind me for a good while, I decided to stay ahead of him and then when I completed the MP miles he sailed past and thanked me for the pacing. Cheeky fecker. :pac:

Passed through 1,000 miles for the year, somewhere in Fairview Park, fittingly enough. Wondered how this compared with last year and on checking discovered I hit the magic number for 2013 on... Sept. 24. :cool:

WTD: 8 mi (13 km)
    MTD: 141 mi (227 km)
    YTD: 1,004 mi (1,616 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Weds 24 Sep

5.1 mi @ 8:41 avg. (8.2 km @ 5:24)

Last of the little pace runs - this one was supposed to have 3 miles at MP (8:16) but unlike yesterday I was feeling good and knocked them out at 8:02 average. Helped by a guy running close behind me for a good while, I decided to stay ahead of him and then when I completed the MP miles he sailed past and thanked me for the pacing. Cheeky fecker. :pac:

Passed through 1,000 miles for the year, somewhere in Fairview Park, fittingly enough. Wondered how this compared with last year and on checking discovered I hit the magic number for 2012 on... Sept. 24. :cool:

WTD: 8 mi (13 km)
    MTD: 141 mi (227 km)
    YTD: 1,004 mi (1,616 km)

You looked to be cruising nicely when you passed me at the end of Vernon Ave. Was good to see a nice little spring in your step :pac:

FBOT01 wrote: »
    You looked to be cruising nicely when you passed me at the end of Vernon Ave. Was good to see a nice little spring in your step :pac:

Didn't spot you - were you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Didn't spot you - were you running?

No. I was walking the dog on the outside path. You were pretty much gone by me when I spotted you zipping along so too late to let a roar at you without disturbing the neighbourhood:)

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday D, hope you run the race your training deserves.

Thanks B. Hope the hip is coming along nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well D the big day is nearly here. Not sure when you are travelling so wanted to get my good wishes in now. You've had a brilliant training cycle so I am confident you will hit your target. I hope the planets align for you in Berlin and everything goes perfectly. Best of luck!

Thanks R. When I signed up for this I was just coming out of what you're dealing with now injury-wise so delighted to have gotten this far. Your own recuperation will be even better I'm sure.

Thu 25 Sep

Recovery 2.1 mi @ 9:15 (3.3 km @ 5:46)

Last outing on home soil before the big one. Bag packed, having a beer. Rarin' to go!

Wiedersehen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thu 25 Sep

Recovery 2.1 mi @ 9:15 (3.3 km @ 5:46)

Last outing on home soil before the big one. Bag packed, having a beer. Rarin' to go!

Wiedersehen.

Best of luck Murph, you're in great shape to nail that PB, hope you enjoy the experience

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck Murph_D, hope you have a great race. Enjoy the day and the celebrations afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck, have a great race

Sat 27 Sep

Berlin breakfast run - 5k slow.

Enjoyable, friendly, noisy jog from Charlottenburg Palace to the Olympic Stadium. Bumped into yaboya1 in the U-Bahn en route, and we hooked up with WithCheesePlease and Belcarra during the run. You had to be careful enough - there were some cobbled surfaces and saw a couple of people tripping and falling and one guy limping very painfully indeed. Not what you would want at this stage. However we all survived and made into the magnificently preserved stadium for some equally magnificent jam doughnuts and coffee.

Off now to find some safety pins - none visible at expo and none in the bag. None of the local shops have any either. Funny the mundane details that can preoccupy your mind before a big event. Wo sind meine sicherheitschnadeln?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck man

Hard work is done man now time to reap the rewards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Solid training is all done - just the matter of putting it all together.
    Hope it all goes well on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Best of luck Murph,I've no doubt you will fly it :)

Advertisement