Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sun 20 July

Dublin Race Series: Fingal 10k

Having raced only one 10k previously, the Aware 10k in the Phoenix Park back in 2012, breaking the old PB wasn’t going to be a big deal. Last month’s Irish Runner 5 Mile time suggested a target of 46:04, and based on some gentle goading from FBOT01 I raised my "gold" time goal to 45:59. That would be a huge bonus, but in reality I'd be happy with anything under 46:53, the McMillan "equivalent" for a sub-3:40 marathon.

Training has been going well so I was confident of hitting the fast end of this range. Didn’t have the ideal preparation with a last-minute invitation from my brother to go to The National’s gig in the Iveagh Gardens last night – that replaced my plans to put the feet up, although I spurned the offer of a backstage pass and, with apologies to the Vintners Association lobby around these parts, I stayed away from the beer too.:pac: So I was feeling good when I got up at 7am for the usual pre-race breakfast of porridge, bagel with honey, and coffee.

With plenty of time on my hands I drove up to Swords early and drove around for a quick "reccie" of the course. It looked flat enough, as expected, bar a couple of drags around the middle and one towards the end. I parked at Airside and hooked up with my good friend BK, who is training for his first marathon. B was faster than me the last time we hooked up at the Terenure 5 mile. This would be his first 10k, and he agreed to stick with me and have a tilt at the 46 mins.

Arriving at the start line about 10 mins before the off I was struck by the congestion, everyone packed into the narrow Main St. I didn’t notice any corralling in place, so we just squeezed into a spot somewhere around the middle, not that we had much choice given the congestion. The race was soon off and the first kilometer was spent at what felt like a slow shuffle through the crowd. I’d thought during the reccie that it would thin out fairly quickly on the N1 section, but this wasn’t really the case so I concentrated on running a good line through all those roundabouts I remember so well from the driving lessons all those years ago. Despite the slow start the pace was back on track by the time we turned off the NI around the 4k mark for the next section, alsong narrow country roads north of the village.

Conditions felt very warm, and I was glad of the first water stop, throwing most of it over my head. A bit of a drag here so I was happy enough to go through the 5k mark at about 23:09, knowing there was some downhill road ahead. B was going well at this point too (and why wouldn't he, letting me do all the work, what with it being his first 10k and all that :p). Things started to feel a good bit tougher (as of course they should) entering the last third, however, and I noticed the pace slipping a bit. Somewhere in the eighth kilometer a local Civil Defence unit had a fire engine out to douse the field with a nice cooling spray, prompting several wisecracks about water charges.

The respite picked us up for a short while to the 8km mark, where I noticed B starting to flag a little. Approaching the village again, the course wound around a couple of corners and I started my now familiar gag reflex about 1500m from the finish. By the 9k mark the dry retching was refusing to die down, especially as we were now running uphill and into what felt like a fresh enough breeze. B was falling away and with a final word of encouragement I pulled away - I knew there was little point in looking at the watch at this stage and just tried to keep it together and finish as strongly as possible. At the crest of the hill, a welcome downhill section followed and the line came into view at last. Still burping away, I found a little bit of speed and just kept it together through the line before doubling up for a final gag just past the finish.

With all this stress I had forgotten to stop the watch but I’d be happy at this stage to be anywhere in the target range. Picked up the goodie bag in the very attractive finish area beside Swords Castle, where I bumped into RedRunner and yaboya1 who’d both posted some seriously impressive times. Still wasn’t sure of my own time - B thought he’d stopped his watch at 46 on the button so there was brief hope of the sub-46 before the text came through with the chip time of 46:28. (B is even more blind than I am and couldn’t see the smaller digits on his watch beside that big 46!)

Splits

Km 1-10
    4:49 4:26 4:23 4:44 4:47 4:46 4:37 4:41 4:49 4:26

Miles 1-6(.2)
    7:28 7:09 7:36 7:45 7:25 7:52 (1:13)

Average HR: 138 (60%) [This doesn't look right to me tbh, my HR is typically much higher than this during a race, although things did feel very comfortable during the first half]

Previous PB: 50:51
    Target: 45:59
    Actual: 46:28
    Verdict: That'll do nicely, given the conditions.

WTD: 30 miles (48 km)
    MTD: 116 miles (187 km)
    YTD: 595 miles (957 km)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done Murph, great racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Congrats Murph that's a huge chunk off your pb, and a great time in these hot conditions so on a cooler day I've no doubt you'd go sub 46. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Great race Murph and a nice PB. Well done.

2014 Goal Times - update

Distance|Goal|Current PB|PB Date
    5k|22:35|22:05|Apr 2013
    5m|37:26|36:47|June 2014
    10k|46:53|46:28|July 2014
    10m|78:22|78:53|Jul 2013
    HM|1:44:32|1:46:25|Mar 2013
    M|3:39:59|3:46:15|Oct 2013

Another one checked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Congrats Murph, well run today, working your way nicely through your running Bucket list. Sounds like the last section was tough with the wind and drag.

TbL

Bucket list? :eek:

Ah here, I know I'm an oul lad but I plan to be still around next year as well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

congrats - 4+mins, thats a nice PB!!

congrats - 4+mins, thats a nice PB!!

Thanks AMK. It was definitely my softest PB so good to toughen it up a little. Sorry to hear you couldn't do the race yourself - must be a big disappointment to miss a goal race like that. But I guess you can find another 10k soon if it still suits your schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Murph_D wrote: »
    Thanks AMK. It was definitely my softest PB so good to toughen it up a little. Sorry to hear you couldn't do the race yourself - must be a big disappointment to miss a goal race like that. But I guess you can find another 10k soon if it still suits your schedule.

was thinking of this, and its not looking like it'll happen too soon.
    Possible late Sept or Oct if I can find one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done Murph. Great running!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great stuff Murph.
    The Berlin crew all look to be in good shape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Good man, well done, the heat must have been a big hazard today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done again D. You seemed a bit disappointed earlier after the race but you've a lot to be happy about.

Mon 21 Jul

10 weeks to go...

Recovery 3.4 miles @ 9:51 (5.4 km @ 6:07)

All is well after yesterday. Legs a little tender around the quads but nothing to worry about. Step back week this week before things ramp up with lots of MP during the second half of the plan.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Well done again D. You seemed a bit disappointed earlier after the race but you've a lot to be happy about.

Thanks R - yeah I guess I was a little bit deflated having gotten nowhere near the sub-46 but it didn't take long to cheer up! Very well done yourself - great start to your DCM buildup.

Tues 22 July

5.1 miles @ 9.45 (8.26 km @ 6:03)

A few easy miles around the roads of Glasnevin and Drumcondra. Followed this with a few lengths of the pool.

Weds 23 July

3.2 miles @ 9:40 (5.1 km @ 6:00)

Did this run on the treadmill right after a tough enough pilates session. Not sure if this is a great idea, but it felt OK. The gym felt hotter than it was outside and I really should have just gone out but was under a bit of time pressure and figured this would be faster.

WTD: 12 miles (19 km)
    MTD: 128 miles (206 km)
    YTD: 606 miles (976 km)

Thurs 24 July

The plan called for 8 miles, with 4 of them at HMP. Having raced last weekend I changed this to 4 @ MP (8:17/mile). However with 23-degree heat out there I had a look at this calculator and decided I could slow this pace about 10 seconds per mile to account for the conditions. Headed out the seafront and into St. Anne's. Mile 1 was into wind, mile 2 was partly into wind and all uphill, 3 was downhill and 4 was mainly wind-assisted. So that partly explains these wildly fluctuating rep times:

8:33 (HR 165 )
    8:57 (HR 169)
    8:18 (HR 166)
    8:09 (HR 174)
    (Avg 8:29) (HR 169 84%)

So this doesn't quite hit the adjusted pace but didn't push it today as the legs still feel quite heavy.

|Miles|Km
    WTD|20|33
    MTD|137|220
    YTD|615|989

Fri 25 July

Rest. Well I did 500m in the pool. And 30k on the bike.

Sat 26 July

Rest. Sore "upper leg" after that bike session. Accompanied Mrs D to St. Anne's parkrun and watched Mark Kirwan break the course record by 40 seconds or so. Impressive. Nice guy too, thanked all the volunteers.

Sun 27 July

LSR 14 miles @ 9:42 (22.4km @ 6:02).

LSR in the Phoenix Park with a friend - followed the new HM route mostly (had to improvise around Farmleigh). Chatted all the way around and this seemed to go by in a flash. Lots of people in 2012, 2013 and 2014 Race Series shirts out there today, even more than usual.

Another good week, everything is still working. Passed 1,000km for the YTD today, which means something to people like me who are metric at heart. ;)

|
    Miles
    |
    Km

WTD|
    |

MTD|
    |

YTD|
    |

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fri 25 July

Rest. Well I did 500m in the pool. And 30k on the bike.

Sat 26 July

Rest. Sore "upper leg" after that bike session. Accompanied Mrs D to St. Anne's parkrun and watched Mark Kirwan break the course record by 40 seconds or so. Impressive. Nice guy too, thanked all the volunteers.

Sun 27 July

LSR 14 miles @ 9:42 (22.4km @ 6:02).

LSR in the Phoenix Park with a friend - followed the new HM route mostly (had to improvise around Farmleigh). Chatted all the way around and this seemed to go by in a flash. Lots of people in 2012, 2013 and 2014 Race Series shirts out there today, even more than usual.

Another good week, everything is still working. Passed 1,000km for the YTD today, which means something to people like me who are metric at heart. ;)

|
    Miles
    |
    Km

WTD|
    |

MTD|
    |

YTD|
    |

Particularly when it was also his wedding day!

Another good week notched up D. Good stuff.

• Advertisement

Mon 28 July

Rest.

Tue 29 July

Easy 7 miles @ 9:20 (11.3k @ 5:37).

This run included a lap and a half of Santry Park, where I unexpectedly bumped into a neighbour, running (fast) with a couple of others. If I'd done another lap, he'd have lapped me.

Weds 30 July

Pyramid session: 4/3/2/1 miles at MP, with 3-4 mins jog recovery. Total with 2 mi wu/cd: 15.1 miles (24.3 km)

Hadn't done this session before (last year at this stage of the plan I'd just done the Frank Duffy and skipped it). I thought it looked easy enough on paper. I was wrong.

4m rep: 33:47 (8:27 avg.)
    3m rep: 24:42 (8:14 avg.)
    2m rep: 16:35 (8:18 avg.)
    1m rep: 08:11 (8:11 avg.)
    Tot: 83:15 (8:20 avg.)

This one took me out the South side of Dublin Bay to Monkstown. Another first - never got further than Blackrock Park before. Screwed up the first rep - half way through I glanced at the watch and somehow came to the conclusion that I was going way too fast, so I slowed way down. Too late, I realised I was looking at the wrong number. :o Put the foot down but it was too late. Managed to make the pace for the rest of the reps but I really needed the jog recoveries, and the last mile was really tough, felt like the end of a race. Was annoyed about messing up the first rep - should have been paying more attention, and should have felt the slow pace sooner. So much for dialling in to MP. But early days yet and overall this was a good workout and I was rightly knackered after it - thought I'd never get home.

|
    Miles
    |
    Km

WTD|
    |

MTD|
    |

YTD|
    |

Thurs 31 July

Recovery 5 miles @ 10:06.

Nice easy trot along the Clontarf Seafront. Tired but feeling OK. It's been a decent month.

|
    Miles
    |
    Km

WTD|
    |

MTD|
    |

YTD|
    |

Fri 1 Aug

Pilates class, followed by 3.1 miles @ 9:44 (4.9k @ 6:03).

Hadn't planned to run today but I'd picked up a new pair of shoes and decided to give them a little test. New Balance 1260v4 - they feel lighter and softer than the Saucony Omni that I've been wearing the past couple of years. Will probably be the marathon shoes this year.

Sat 2 Aug

3.2 miles @ 10:14 (5.1k @ 6:22).

Mrs. M has decided to make her marathon debut this year and is following HHN1 for Dublin, so I joined her for a wet and wintry loop through Fairview Park through East Point and back. Hadn't planned this, but as they say, you never regret going out for a run.

Sun 3 Aug

18 miles @ 8:51 Avg. (29k @ 5:30).

The meno plan specifies two 3-mile MP (c. 8:17) blocks, one in the middle and one at the end of this otherwise long easy run. Headed up to the Phoenix Park through Drumcondra, Phibsboro and Cabra and did the first of the MP blocks in the park and the second in Cabra and the Royal Canal on the way back.

MP miles
    8:21
    8:11
    8:24
    8:21
    8:18
    8:20

Had the watch set up for km and thought I'd got these MP miles bang on so was surprised to see them a few seconds off when I uploaded the data. So that's the first 50+ mile week out of the way. Surprisingly after the struggles on Weds night, I felt very strong today; I think the work is starting to pay off. Took one gel about 10 miles into this, on Chesterfield where I had a good look at the set up for tomorrow's HM. Looks like there will be quite a complicated barrier system, no doubt with the purpose of streaming everyone into the substantial tented village that's under construction. Best of luck to anyone doing this - will probably stand somewhere on the course for a gander.

|
    Miles
    |
    Km

WTD|
    |

MTD|
    |

YTD|
    |

Mon 4 Aug

4.3 mi @ 9:28 (6.9k @ 5:53)

Don't usually run on Mondays but I'm finding it hard to get the mileage in and don't feel like doubling up.

Tue 5 Aug

7.8 mi @ 8:04 avg (12.5k @ 5:01)

I've been toying with the idea of joining a club for a good while now and have always come up with an excuse to leave it for another week. But tonight I decided to head over to Crusaders and try out their track session. I was given a very friendly welcome by one of the coaches, Don I think, who took my details. There were lots of people standing around chatting and others warming up on the infield so I did a few slow laps before the session was called and everyone did some warm up drills and a few strides. I then joined the marathon training group, probably about 20 people, which took off without any briefing in the outer lanes. I had no idea what the session was supposed to be and just followed along. The group soon fractured into several clusters but none of them seemed to be at my pace and I did most of the session by myself at about 10k pace, managing to get lapped at least twice, possibly three times by the faster couple of groups (mind you I lapped the slowest group a couple of times myself). I think it was supposed to be some sort of progression run - either way there was no stopping so it was a pretty good workout and I was working hard. After 40 mins or so everyone stopped and I had a brief chat with one of the other guys about the weekend Saturday run and headed home, not quite sure what had just happened.

WTD: 12 mi (19 km)
    MTD: 36 mi (58 km)
    YTD: 692 mi (1,114 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Mon 4 Aug

Don't usually run on Mondays but I'm finding it hard to get the mileage in and don't feel like doubling up.

Tue 5 Aug

I've been toying with the idea of joining a club for a good while now and have always come up with an excuse to leave it for another week. But tonight I decided to head over to Crusaders and try out their track session. I was given a very friendly welcome by one of the coaches, Don I think, who took my details. There were lots of people standing around chatting and others warming up on the infield so I did a few slow laps before the session was called and everyone did some warm up drills and a few strides. I then joined the marathon training group, probably about 20 people, which took off without any briefing in the outer lanes. I had no idea what the session was supposed to be and just followed along. The group soon fractured into several clusters but none of them seemed to be at my pace and I did most of the session by myself at about 10k pace, managing to get lapped at least twice, possibly three times by the faster couple of groups (mind you I lapped the slowest group a couple of times myself). I think it was supposed to be some sort of progression run - either way there was no stopping so it was a pretty good workout and I was working hard. After 40 mins or so everyone stopped and I had a brief chat with one of the other guys about the weekend Saturday run and headed home, not quite sure what had just happened.

Good on ya Murph for going into the club. It really is the best thing I ever did. Even though during the Summer I'm not making many of their sessions , somehow it's easier to go in during the winter. The first two times I went in I was totally lost but I soon found who was around me pace wise and I always try to keep up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Mon 4 Aug

Tue 5 Aug

Hey Murph. Welcome to Crusaders.

I am probably to blame for taking off at the front of the marathon group training last night :o. The marathon coach usually explains the session at the start but he's on holidays and I just assumed everybody knew the session.

Last night's session was a 40 min pyramid fartlek: 3 mins, 4, 6, 8, 6, 4, 3 @ 10k to half marathon pace with 1 min easy in between.

There's a Google Group for the distance runners with the plans for Berlin and Dublin laid out so people know what's on.

It's a great club where you'll find a range of sessions and paces and people to run with whether you're training for 800m or a marathon at all sorts of paces.

I'll try and look out for you the next time.

Fair play, Paulie, appreciate the post. I only blame myself for not getting to grips with what was going on, not whoever was in charge! See you next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Nice move Murph. I'll be watching your times closer now.

Don't go all groupie and cliquey on us though. Don't forget about all the lonely boardsies out there, ploughing their own furrow.....or in other words too damn lazy to join a club themselves.

When do we get to see you modelling the club singlet?

Ferris B wrote: »
    Nice move Murph. I'll be watching your times closer now.

Don't go all groupie and cliquey on us though. Don't forget about all the lonely boardsies out there, ploughing their own furrow.....or in other words too damn lazy to join a club themselves.

When do we get to see you modelling the club singlet?

Cliquey - moi? Don't worry, 'tis not in my nature. I'm an antisocial misanthropist at heart, don't you worry.

And how does 85-miles-a-week, sub-3 paced training translate as lazy? Methinks it's the club-shunners who are the elitists. :pac:

I haven't deserted you all yet, just dipping my toes in the water. But I have to say nothing about the experience of joining the Irishtown session has put me off the idea, and PaulieYifter's classy intervention above (it seems you're never more than six feet from a Boardsie) has made made the idea even more attractive.

• Advertisement

Weds 6 Aug

Recovery 5 mi @ 10:08 (8k @ 6:18). Felt fine after last night's track shenanigans, which is testament to the quality of the meno plan. Ninth day in a row without a break, which is probably a record for me, although there's been a good few very easy ones in there. But time to rest up for a day or two. Heading out for a pint tonight with the bro.

Advertisement