Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sat 9 Aug

6 miles @ 8:53 Avg (9.6k @ 5:31)

Managed to tweak my back while sweeping leaves in the back garden the other day so there was no question of abandoning or shortening the two-day rest period. If you have a dodgy back you'll know what I mean. I woke up not sure what I would do today - there was the option to join a club run in the Phoenix Park but the planned session there didn't really suit so I opted for St. Anne's parkrun. A lovely morning for it, with the added surrealism of the start/finish area being almost engulfed by a funfair. Was delighted to bump into marthastew and Joe and join them for a km or so of the run. A privilege to join Joe for part of his comeback event! They were both looking well and chatting to everyone around as usual. :) Good to have an opportunity to congratulate marthastew on her gutsy performance at the HM last week too. Completed the parkrun in about 24:30 and headed around the park for another couple of miles. Long run tomorrow but will not make the prescribed mileage this week, but that's OK given the back and a couple of niggly ankle issues as well.

WTD: 23 mi (37 km)
    MTD: 47 mi (76 km)
    YTD: 703 mi (1,131 km)

Sun 10 Aug

20 miles @ 9:07 (32k @ 5:40)

The second 20-miler of the plan specifies 10 miles easy (9:07-9:57) followed by 10 miles steady (8:35-8:40). Last year this was my favourite run in the entire plan, despite having to bang it out in the Donegal hills. So I was looking forward to this one.

One of the nice things about where I live is the relative proximity of the various Dublin waterways and today I planned to head into town and run the Dodder river as far as Templeogue, continuing on to turn around in Tymon Park in Tallaght (if you'd told me a few years ago that one day I would do that I'd have thought you were quite mad). It's a route that takes in the Tolka, the Royal Canal, the Liffey, the Grand Canal, and the Poddle as well as the Dodder. Mrs M. joined me for the first 6 miles as part of her own LSR. We kept to the slower end of the pace range to suit her LSR pace and when she turned around at Dartry Park I picked it up a little and was soon cruising through Templeogue towards the halfway point. Even though I'd been out this way recently visiting ecoli's massage parlour I didn't recognise the turn up Wellington Lane towards Tymon and found myself crossing the M50 footbridge and into the grounds of the National Basketball Arena, where I stopped briefly to take a gel. Reset the watch here because it was going haywire, and headed back on the same route. Found it relatively easy to keep to the desired pace until the last few miles and started to fall a bit behind, but dug out a final mile at around MP to keep the clock happy.

Miles 01-10: 1:35:52 Avg. 9:35 (5:57/km)
    Miles 11-20: 1:26:21 Avg. 8:38 (5:22/km)

Happy with that but it was tough enough to let me know that the PMP can't be taken for granted at this stage. Lovely day for a run though, and happily got home well before the monsoon.

WTD: 43 mi (69km)
    MTD: 67 mi (108 km)
    YTD: 723 mi (1,164 km)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ah it makes sense now. I think I've figured out who Mrs. Murph_D is:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Super run today. Well on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Great to see you on Saturday, I'm thrilled your training is going so well, that's a super long run to have under your belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sun 10 Aug

20 miles @ 9:07 (32k @ 5:40)

The second 20-miler of the plan specifies 10 miles easy (9:07-9:57) followed by 10 miles steady (8:35-8:40). Last year this was my favourite run in the entire plan,
    [/I]

Great long run Murph, brilliant to get that one ticked off. Good on ya. +1 on liking this type of run, it was my favourite one last year too. I clearly remember doing it. :)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Great long run Murph, brilliant to get that one ticked off. Good on ya. +1 on liking this type of run, it was my favourite one last year too. I clearly remember doing it. :)

Thanks - I think I remember you posting that at the time too. Great run in Galway. Didn't realise it was your local race, for some reason I thought you were from Donegal!

Mon 11 Aug

Rest. Drove to Donegal where we'll be based for most of this week and next.

Tue 12 Aug

7.5 mi @ 9:13 (12k @ 5:44)

A nice easy 7+ miler in the local hills, although not the easiest route I ever ran.

Weds 13 Aug

Session: 10 mi @ MP

The plan specified 2 mi w/u, 10 mi at MP, 2 mi c/d. I set off on what would be another hilly route, not one of the ones I usually run around here. After the warmup I started into the MP miles at a nice downhill section which then gave way to a pretty intimidating hill - could see it looming away into the distance, then around a bend where it helpfully climbed even more steeply for a bit more. Of course this meant there'd be plenty of downhill too and I think I'm learning to deal with downhill running a little more aggressively, letting gravity take hold and upping the cadence (although on the other hand I could be doing it completely wrong - not that it's likely to be an issue in Berlin). MP is 8:18 (5:09/km) so I was delighted to complete the 10 miles pretty much on the button, although it was a tough slog over the final 4 miles or so.

MP miles: 10 @ 8:16 (5:08/km)

Total for the day: 14.1 miles (22.7 km)

WTD: 22 mi (35 km)
    MTD: 89 mi (143 km)
    YTD: 745 mi (1,198 km)

Thu 14 Aug

Recovery 5 miles @ 9:38 (8k @ 5:59)

Pleasant loop along narrow country roads with the missus. Little traffic, cool conditions. Nice.

Sat 16 Aug

Easy 8.25 mi @ 9:24 (13.3k @ 5:51)

Did the hill from Weds session in reverse, so more hill practice. Should stand me in good stead for the final stages of the Frank Duffy next week. Light misty rain kept me nice and cool on another hilly loop. Idyllic really - stopped to let a herd of sheep pass at one point. They looked pretty wary of my hi-viz shirt.

WTD: 35 mi (56 km)
    MTD: 102 mi (164 km)
    YTD: 758 mi (1,220 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thu 14 Aug

Recovery 5 miles @ 9:38 (8k @ 5:59)

Pleasant loop along narrow country roads with the missus. Little traffic, cool conditions. Nice.

Sat 16 Aug

Easy 8.25 mi @ 9:24 (13.3k @ 5:51)

Did the hill from Weds session in reverse, so more hill practice. Should stand me in good stead for the final stages of the Frank Duffy next week. Light misty rain kept me nice and cool on another hilly loop. Idyllic really - stopped to let a herd of sheep pass at one point. They looked pretty wary of my hi-viz shirt.

WTD: 35 mi (56 km)
    MTD: 102 mi (164 km)
    YTD: 758 mi (1,220 km)

Out my way the sheep are happy if you're wearing a high viz vest, it's the lads trying to sneak up on that that they're wary of :)

Nice run today.

TbL

• Advertisement

Sun 17 Aug

18 miles @ 9:03 avg (29k @ 5:37)

Today's long run incorporated 8 miles at MP, in 2 mile intervals followed by 2 miles easy. It's very windy today in SW Donegal so at the last minute I switched the planned route so that the out section would be against the wind. Another hilly route with about 100m of climb in the first 6k, most of it during the second MP mile, which being also into the wind made for quite a sorry looking split! The homeward half was naturally easier but still plenty of climbing and descents - at the end of this I was as tired as I've ever been after a long run. Murdered a steak sandwich.

MP miles: 8:17 9:00 8:19 8:29 8:08 8:13 8:30 8:09 (Avg: 8:23)

MP is 8:18 but given the conditions I think that's probably close enough. A tough week - I reckon 53 miles is the second or third heaviest week I've ever done.

WTD: 53 mi (85 km)
    MTD: 120 mi (193 km)
    YTD: 776 mi (1,249 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great session today D. I was shattered after 17 with 3 mp-ish miles so fair play to you.

Mon 18 Aug

Rest. Badly needed too. After all I'm supposed to be on holiday.

Tues 19 Aug

6.3 mi @ 9:41 (10.2k @ 6:01).

Recovery-type run, legs still a bit leaden after Sunday's long run. Hot and sunny and didn't enjoy this too much. Ran with the missus and kept having to ask her to slow down. :o

WTD: 6 mi (10 km)
    MTD: 126 mi (203 km)
    YTD: 782 mi (1,259 km)

Weds 20 Aug

10 miles @ 9:33 (16k @ 5:56)

Enjoyable late evening 10-miler on an undulating route from the hills down to the seashore and back. Some strides towards the end. Not as tough a route as the last couple but it's hard to do flat around here so challenging enough despite the easy pace. Will probably rest up the next two days before Saturday's race.

WTD: 16 mi (26 km)
    MTD: 136 mi (219 km)
    YTD: 792 mi (1,275 km)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow D, the weeks hill training in Donegal will stand to you.

Best of luck and enjoy it

TbL

Best of luck and enjoy it

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Give it loads tomorrow Murph. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck Murph.
    The hills in the park will be nothing compared to your recent training ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck in the morn, Murph....and most importantly enjoy!!

• Advertisement

Good Luck Murph!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck tomorrow.

Thanks all. Sure I'm only an ancient aul "hobby jogger" but will try to stay upright at least. Good luck to everyone running this or any other race over the weekend.

77:07 for me, a PB of 1:46. Report later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done Murph. Another good day for the Berlin gang :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Another PB! Well done Murph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done D.

Nicely done Pops.

Well done.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Good man well done! The old dog for the hard road has the saying goes!!!!!

• Advertisement

Brill another pb, good on ya!

Advertisement