Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sat 23 Aug

Dublin Race Series: Frank Duffy 10-Mile

I’ve written here before that this is my favourite race besides DCM itself and I was looking forward to it, although to be honest I hadn’t thought about it that much in the build-up as I was on holiday in Donegal. Not being in Italy or Greece meant it was somewhat easier to get the holiday runs in this year (although nothing like the holiday heroics of Ferris B, TbL et al.) But at least there was a bit of hill practice, which might be put to use in the Park towards the business end of the proceedings.

Although the marathon target time translates to 78 mins, McMillan was predicting 77:35 based on my most recent race, the Fingal 10k, so I set the watch for 4:47/km (7:42/mi) allowing a little leeway. Secretly I hoped if conditions were right I might sneak a sub-77, and the outside absolute C goal was to at least better my PB of 78:53 set in this race last year.

Parked at the polo grounds around 9:30 as usual and did a gentle 2-mile warmup with Mrs. M. before jumping into the Wave 1 corral and saying a quick hello to Redrunner. The race was off with the usual efficiency and although the pace felt easy for the first couple of miles down Chesterfield Ave and around by the Zoo (7:25 and 7:38) the legs didn’t feel particularly fresh, but got through miles 3 and 4 along the North Road drag without any bother (7:48 and 7:46). Towards the Castleknock Gate I came across Redrunner who was obviously in trouble with the hamstring and I exchanged a few words of sympathy before moving on. I was looking forward to the long downhill Chesterfield section at this stage, hitting the half way point (Mile 5: 7:35) at about 38:12 (timing mat here, but no splits given afterwards).

Felt OK down Chesterfield although the sun was making for warmer conditions than anticipated – more discomfort from the glare than anything else really as I hadn’t brought my sunglasses or visor. At this point I began to suspect I had overcooked things (though I was feeling fine) as I was being passed all the way down the Avenue, but I decided to trust the pace, although a bolder soul might have pushed a bit here to bank some time. Was surprised that the marshals were allowing us to run over the cobbles at one of the roundabouts – easy to trip up here so I kept an eye on the surface. The narrow path beyond that was a bit crowded and I slowed a little. Had been tracking a couple of D&D runners but they faded towards the bottom of Chesterfield so I was on my own again passing the Wellington Monument (Miles 6 & 7: 7:45, 7:36).

The hill down to the Islandbridge Gate didn’t present any problems, but I didn’t enjoy the road section too much into a slight headwind as the field began to thin out a little. Felt a little light-headed between the 8-mile mark (7:37) and the turn back into the park at Chapelizod but once in the park things began to look up as there was more opportunity for a bit of shade. The climb up to the Upper Glen felt easier than the Garmin data indicates (Mile 9: 8:13) and like many others I wondered what the point of the Irish Indo “fake finish line” here was (advertising opportunity, I suppose). By now I was feeling a bit stronger and starting to pass a good few of the people who’d passed me earlier. Upper Glen Road felt tough but fair and I could see that I would be at the faster end of my various goal times, so I stepped it up a little (or at least it felt like I did) through the final section on Furze Road. A guy breezed past here and I tried (unsuccessfully) to get in his slip stream but finished feeling good enough to know I probably could have pushed it a bit more (Mile 10: 7:44). Stopped the Garmin at 77:07 which turned out to be my official chip time as well.

All the same, delighted with the progress so far this year. Delighted too for Mrs. M. who improved on last year’s time by 9 minutes. We were chatting to a couple of friends afterwards when FBOT01 came over and we heard about his brilliant 62-mins outing – well done, Mark – another good result for the Berlin crew (not to mention the St. Anne’s parkrun regulars).

Previous PB: 78:53
    Target: 77:30
    Actual 77:07
    Verdict: Happy, but it coulda been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done, D (and Mrs M). Any day you beat your PB and your pre race target is a good one in my book so make sure you enjoy it.....all road lead to Berlin now:)

Definitely enjoyed it, M. I think it's just that I stayed in the comfort zone a little too readily today. I'm aware that Berlin is the ultimate goal and the build-up races are really just fitness tests but I haven't found the gumption (as you obviously have) to push through the comfort zone to see what might lie beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Very solid run today D. Congrats to Mrs M too!

Sun 24 Aug

Recovery 5 mi @ 9:32 (8 km @ 5:55)

Nice to be back out the Clontarf seafront again. Easy few miles out to the wooden bridge and back to Fairview Park. Exchanged waves with a few others wearing yesterday's Frank Duffy shirt, which is easily the nicest and most wearable souvenir of the race series so far (if still a little clunky in its graphic design). Legs felt great, no niggles to report, which is the most important thing. So far so good.

WTD: 34 mi (55 km)
    MTD: 155 mi (249 km)
    YTD: 810 mi (1,304 km)

• Advertisement

2014 Goal Times - update

Distance|Goal|Current PB|PB Date
    5k|22:35|22:05|Apr 2013
    5m|37:26|36:47|June 2014
    10k|46:53|46:28|July 2014
    10m|78:22|77:07|Aug 2014
    HM|1:44:32|1:46:25|Mar 2013
    M|3:39:59|3:46:15|Oct 2013

Halfway there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Murph_D wrote: »
    2014 Goal Times - update

Distance|Goal|Current PB|PB Date
    5k|22:35|22:05|Apr 2013
    5m|37:26|36:47|June 2014
    10k|46:53|46:28|July 2014
    10m|78:22|77:07|Aug 2014
    HM|1:44:32|1:46:25|Mar 2013
    M|3:39:59|3:46:15|Oct 2013

Halfway there. ;)

You can sort the bottom two in the next 5 weeks.
    The 5k can wait ;)

Won't be racing the Dublin HM so not sure I'll get a chance to do one at all this year, maybe Waterford on December 6, although I'd prefer a week or two later. You're right about the 5k - maybe the final Parkrun of the year.

Mon 25 Aug

Rest.

Tue 26 Aug

8 mi @ 9:26 (12.9 km @ 5:52).

The legs felt terrible on this one, really heavy. Tried some strides but the right quad was protesting so I only did two. Surprising how crap this felt considering the Sunday recovery run felt great. Delayed reaction, I suppose.

Weds 27 Aug

14 mi MLR with 10 @ MP

The meno plan gave the option of leaving this session till tomorrow if still in race recovery mode but I have a piss-up function to attend tonight so I decided to get it out of the way. Felt great and had no problem sustaining the MP (8:17) over the ten miles. Only occasional glances at the watch, meaning the MP is beginning to feel quite natural. Did an out and back along the Tolka and Canal to Castleknock and while the outward half was easy enough I knew the return leg would be more difficult - a fresh headwind meant that maintaining MP was no gimme. The homeward effort felt more like HMP to be honest, and delighted to get this done successfully considering how bad yesterday's run felt. The dodgiest part of this run happened when I passed by a walker in the Tolka Valley park and startled him, causing him to jerk his arm out in front of me and into my stomach just as I passed. A tiny bit winded but it could have been worse. :)

Total with 2 mi w/u and c/d: 14 mi @ 8:46 (22.8 km @ 5:27).

WTD: 22 mi (36 km)
    MTD: 177 mi (284 km)
    YTD: 833 mi (1,340 km)

Nice session today Murph. Decent wind out there so good to get MP miles under your belt in less than ideal conditions...enjoy the function;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Nice session today Murph. Decent wind out there so good to get MP miles under your belt in less than ideal conditions...enjoy the function;)

+1, sets you up nicely for Berlin. Congrats on the Frank Duffy.
    I hope the head isn't too sore today

Thu 28 Aug

Recovery 5.1M @ 9:49 (8.2k @ 6:06)

A bit hung over and tired. Wanted to do this on grass so went to the Polo Grounds in the PP and went round and round like a goldfish for eight and a half laps. There's a sign saying "Polo Grounds: No other sports allowed" but no one said anything. :)

WTD: 27 mi (44 km)
    MTD: 182 mi (293 km)
    YTD: 838 mi (1,348 km)

Fri 29 Aug

Rest.

Sat 30 Aug

Easy 3.5M @ 9:17 (5.6k @ 5:46).

Gentle jaunt past Croke Park and through Drumcondra. The F16 fly-by was impressive, but Croker will be noisier on Sunday.

Sun 30 Aug

LSR 22M @ 9:16 (35.4k @ 5:46).

Beautiful morning in Dublin for the first 22-miler of the year. Out to Howth Head via East Wall and Clontarf with a lap of St. Anne's on the way. Over the hill via the tramline. There's a point just past the summit where you get a glimpse of the bay and the mountains that on a day like today would remind you of Naples or San Francisco - a definite lift on a long run like this one. Tough enough on the way back into the customary headwind. Glad to have this one out of the way. Another good week at the end of a solid month, by some way the highest mileage I've ever clocked up.

WTD: 53 mi (85 km)
    MTD: 207 mi (334 km)
    YTD: 863 mi (1,389 km)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice running D, great confidence booster getting that 22 miles done. With your wife on the football today or i'd be shown the door by own misus.

Fri 29 Aug

Rest.

Sat 30 Aug

Gentle jaunt past Croke Park and through Drumcondra. The F16 fly-by was impressive, but Croker will be noisier on Sunday.

Sun 30 Aug

Beautiful morning in Dublin for the first 22-miler of the year. Out to Howth Head via East Wall and Clontarf with a lap of St. Anne's on the way. Over the hill via the tramline. There's a point just past the summit where you get a glimpse of the bay and the mountains that on a day like today would remind you of Naples or San Francisco - a definite lift on a long run like this one. Tough enough on the way back into the customary headwind. Glad to have this one out of the way. Another good week at the end of a solid month, by some way the highest mileage I've ever clocked up.

Nice run, Murph. Another good solid month and you will be home and hosed!

Agree about that view from Howth....love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Another auld lad showing good form, nice LR Murph, you're going well.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Fri 29 Aug

Rest.

Sat 30 Aug

Sun 30 Aug

That explains the rather loud airplane I could hear but not see yesterday.

Per FBOT, +1 on the views from howth. That's one of my favourite routes. I nearly ran it this morning but decided last minute to leave hills out of my run and headed southside instead...not nearly as nice.

Btw forgot to say..great long run

tang1 wrote: »
    Nice running D, great confidence booster getting that 22 miles done. With your wife on the football today or i'd be shown the door by own misus.

At least she snagged a couple of premium level tickets so whatever the result I can recuperate from the 22-miler in relative luxury! Up the Dubs.

Mon 1 Sep

Rest.

Tues 2 Sep

8.1 mi @ 9.02 (13 km @ 5:37)

This was just about easy pace for me. Finding it hard to keep it slow on easy runs, long or short. Don't remember this being a problem before this marathon block - hopefully it means I'm getting swifter of foot but don't want to be doing these runs too fast.

After this I was on steward duty at the Grant Thornton 5k in town. Bumped into couple of people I know, including Killerz who'd just run a PB - nice going. Great conditions but it's not the easiest course so fair play.

Wed 3 Sep

The plan specified 10 miles alternating MP+ 3% (8:32) with MP-3% (8:03). I vaguely remember making a bit of a balls of this session last year so wanted to do better. Headed up to the Phoenix Park via the canal and Broombridge Road. Felt pretty good throughout. Made things harder for myself by hitting the lap button by accident in the middle of one of the reps so some mental arithmetic was called for later in the session.

8:30 8:00 8:25 8:00 8:46 8:03 8:32 8:03 8:32 7:57 (Avg 8:17)

Did most of the PP miles on the trails, following a heads up from KielyUnusual on his North Road thread. Hadn’t run much of this route before and was very impressed, until I got took a wrong turn near the Furry Glen and ended up in some woods where I came across three rather dishevelled gentlemen, one of whom greeted me with a too-friendly “hello”. That explains the 8:46 mile, although I got out of there quick enough. :eek:

Total with wu/cd: 14.6 mi @ 8:42 Avg (23.4 km @ 5:25)

WTD: 23 mi (36 km)
    MTD: 23 mi (36 km)
    YTD: 886 mi (1,425 km)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Was one of them The Bitter Lemon?

LOL. Ya never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

LOL. Ya never know.

Could have been tang1;-)on a stakeout! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hey Murph,

Wasn't me as I was otherwise engaged.

Quick question why when 3 overly "friendly" lads tried to engage you in conversation did you do your slowest mile of the session, if you really wanted to get out of there it should have been your fastest :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hey Murph,

Quick question why when 3 overly "friendly" lads tried to engage you in conversation did you do your slowest mile of the session, if you really wanted to get out of there it should have been your fastest :)

TbL

Maybe he was reversing!

Hey Murph,

TbL

I see you have an alibi alright.

The slow mile was probably due to tree cover playing havoc with the Garmin. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wed 3 Sep

The plan specified 10 miles alternating MP+ 3% (8:32) with MP-3% (8:03). I vaguely remember making a bit of a balls of this session last year so wanted to do better. Headed up to the Phoenix Park via the canal and Broombridge Road. Felt pretty good throughout. Made things harder for myself by hitting the lap button by accident in the middle of one of the reps so some mental arithmetic was called for later in the session.

8:30 8:00 8:25 8:00 8:46 8:03 8:32 8:03 8:32 7:57 (Avg 8:17)

Did most of the PP miles on the trails, following a heads up from KielyUnusual on his North Road thread. Hadn’t run much of this route before and was very impressed, until I got took a wrong turn near the Furry Glen and ended up in some woods where I came across three rather dishevelled gentlemen, one of whom greeted me with a too-friendly “hello”. That explains the 8:46 mile, although I got out of there quick enough. :eek:

Total with wu/cd: 14.6 mi @ 8:42 Avg (23.4 km @ 5:25)

WTD: 23 mi (36 km)
    MTD: 23 mi (36 km)
    YTD: 886 mi (1,425 km)

Post of the year!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

RedRunner wrote: »
    Could have been tang1;-)on a stakeout! :-)

Jaysus no!! D has met me.

Thu 4 Sep

Recovery 5 mi @ 10:29 (8.1 km @ 6:31).

Very pleasant few miles along the seafront as darkness was descending. Haven't been out this late for a while!

Sat 6 Sep

Easyish 5.1 mi @ 8:56 (8.2 km @ 5:33)

This included the St. Anne's parkrun, ably directed by FBOT01 and timed by yaboya1. Heard the news about Ferris B's setback. Gutted for him - I would be beside myself with frustration if I had to drop out at this stage, whatever the reason. But great that the issue was caught before it was too late.

WTD: 33 mi (53 km)
    MTD: 33 mi (53 km)
    YTD: 896 mi (1,442 km)

• Advertisement

Sun 7 Sep

22 mi @ 8:59 (35 km @ 5:35).

The plan called for 10 miles easy, 10 at MP and a 2-mile cool down. I usually plan out the very long runs in advance, or at least run a route I've done previously, to make sure I get the distance right without being stranded miles from home. But today I decided at the last minute to wing it, trusting the Garmin and my growing geographical knowledge. Decided to check out the first half of the DCM route, running into town and picking up the route at Stephen's Green through the liberties, Thomas St, the quays, and the Park.

The Garmin had promised me it was 80 percent charged before I set out and I thought this would be enough. However while still on the way up Chesterfield Ave it started to beep and threatening to die on me. Got through the first 10 easy miles but sure enough the watch died a mile into the MP section, on the Upper Glen Road. Mindful of what happened to yaboya1 the other day I tried not to get too distracted and managed to get it started again, but immediately started to do the mental arithmetic to compute an appropriate route home. Decided to head back to Dublin 3 via the shortest route where I'd be familiar enough with the surroundings to get the distance right. As it happened the watch stayed on all the way back, and I was able to pop into the house and grab another one to finish the run (we're posh in our house - 2 Garmins). With all the distraction, and the hot weather, I didn't manage to hit MP on much of the second half. This was harder too because of the crowds converging on Croke Park from all directions - understandably these Kilkenny and Tipp lads aren't great with footpaths, although you'd think they'd be familiar enough by now with the Croker area. :roll eyes:

Anyway, happy to have this one in the bag, even if my watch dependence made it more stressful than it should have been.

Miles 1-10 - 8:59 avg. (5:35/km)
    Miles 11-20 - 8:37 avg. (5:22/km)

Will have to make up for this on the MP session during the week.

WTD: 55 mi (88 km)
    MTD: 55 mi (88 km)
    YTD: 918 mi (1,477 km)

Advertisement