Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Ferris B wrote: »
    Looks like someone burst his bubble.:)

Started with 2 "bubbles" and still managed to come home with none....but had 23secs to spare and a few passengers still on board so I will take that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Mon 7 July

Rest. Had a little "recovery" swim. Really feeling yesterday's run, which I think I did a little fast, believe it or not. What with a briskish Parkrun the day before and an afternoon sitting in Croke Park, all at the end of what for me is a high-mileage week. Will take it easier this week I think.

12 weeks to go. Here's what's on the menu this week:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10-12 miles including 2 x 4mile @ MP|recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-18 miles easy| 40-50 miles

Will be in Donegal at the weekend so it's a chance to continue with some hill work on the long run.

Tues 8 Jul

5.2 mi @ 10.42 (8.3 km @ 6:39)

This felt like a death march. Absolutely no energy. Treated it as a recovery run for Sunday, no point in pushing it. Even got a stitch!

Weds 9 Jul

Session: 2 x 4 miles @ MP

Felt like a change of scenery tonight and headed over to Sandymount via East Point, East Link, and Irishtown. A fairly cool evening for a change. The goal was warmup, 2 x 4 mile MP blocks with a 5 minute jog recovery in between, cooldown. Goal pace was thus 8:21/mile (5:11 per km)

Rep 1
    8:19 8:21 8:11 8:16 (Avg 8:16)

Rep 2
    8:24 8:24 8:19 7:52 (Avg 8:15)

Overall Avg: 8:16 (5:08/km)

This felt great - so much better than yesterday, hit the MP without much fuss and felt it reasonably easy to sustain. Knew I was a bit behind heading into the final mile of rep 2 and finished strong, which felt even better.

Total with warmup and cooldown: 10.3 miles (16.5 km)

WTD: 25 km (15 miles)
    YTD: 864 km (537 miles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice session D, its the weather thats to blame for the lethargy. Thats what i reckon, i was blowing like a cheap hooker last week trying to hold 7min pace, went out this evening and ran 6.24pace for 5k. Stupid Irish weather.

• Advertisement

Thanks Tang - and well done on your race, just read the report.

Thurs 10 July

Recovery 4.4 mi @ 10:53 (7k @ 6:46)

Plenty of rain this afternoon so this was done mostly under tree cover, five very easy laps of Albert College Park.

Fri 11 July

Rest. Had booked a massage session with ecoli, who gave my hamstring and calves a good going over. He recommended some hamstring and glute strengthening, and pointed out some hip and pelvis alignment issues which might be improved with core strenghtening, which I've been neglecting. Great massage, advice, and general chat - highly recommended! Very reasonable cost too.

Sat 12 July

Easy 5 miles @ 8:56 (8k @ 5:33).

In Donegal for the weekend so did my usual 5 mile loop of the local roads. It's a decent enough little circuit over undulating hills on quiet roads. A lot of motorists slow down when they see a runner/cyclist on country roads but there's always one eejit who just gawks and keeps the foot to the floor. Annoying.

WTD: 25 miles (40k)
    YTD: 547 miles (880k)

Sun 13 July

LSR 18 miles @ 9:25 (29k @ 5:51)

Long run in Donegal on a fairly hilly route. Averaged the same pace as last week's Howth outing, but although this was a much more up and down route (hardly any flat sections at all) it felt much easier and the little hamstring and knee niggles I'd felt last time were pretty much gone. Legs felt great too - I'm putting this, along with the niggle-free feeling, down to Friday's massage, so thanks again, ecoli.

Another solid week, everything ticking over fairly nicely. Race series 10k next week. First 10k since December 2012 so the PB (50:xx) is very soft and will hopefully take a good beating.

WTD: 43 miles (69k)
    YTD: 565 miles (909k)

11 weeks to go…

The schedule is as follows, but will have to be adjusted for Sunday’s Race Series 10k.

Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10-12 miles including 8 miles alternating*|recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-20 miles easy| 45-55 miles

So I will probably keep it easy all week – won’t do the Weds session but will do a medium long easy run (14-15 miles?) instead. Will give the 10k a lash on Sunday with a 46:04 target, based on my recent 36:47 5-mile time.

Any alternative suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Murph_D wrote: »
    11 weeks to go…

The schedule is as follows, but will have to be adjusted for Sunday’s Race Series 10k.

Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10-12 miles including 8 miles alternating*|recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-20 miles easy| 45-55 miles

So I will probably keep it easy all week – won’t do the Weds session but will do a medium long easy run (14-15 miles?) instead. Will give the 10k a lash on Sunday with a 46:04 target, based on my recent 36:47 5-mile time.

That sounds like a reasonable approach to me. I have to adjust my own week too but I'm at a different stage in the plan. I'll be doing 10 easy with hill sprints on Wednesday rather than planned tempo run.

• Advertisement

11 weeks to go…

I suggest 45:59 instead of 46:04 as the target for Sunday;)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I suggest 45:59 instead of 46:04 as the target for Sunday;)

Well yes, that is a nice number alright. 46:04 can be the "silver" target.

RedRunner wrote: »
    That sounds like a reasonable approach to me. I have to adjust my own week too but I'm at a different stage in the plan. I'll be doing 10 easy with hill sprints on Wednesday rather than planned tempo run.

Where do you do the hill sprints, R? It's very flat in my usual running environments - some good spots in the P Park alright, but I've never actually done hill sprints - probably should work a few in to the routine.

Where do you do the hill sprints, R? It's very flat in my usual running environments - some good spots in the P Park alright, but I've never actually done hill sprints - probably should work a few in to the routine.

I was thinking of doing them at the entrance to StAnnes down where Mount Prospect meets the coast road. Do you know the tarmac patchway incline there on the corner?

I was thinking of doing them at the entrance to StAnnes down where Mount Prospect meets the coast road. Do you know the tarmac patchway incline there on the corner?

Ferris B and I regularly use that stretch for strides. It is only 120m or so long and I don't know the gradient. Not sure if it would be long enough or steep enough for Hill Sprints. Although I don't really know the definition of hill sprints either :D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Ferris B and I regularly use that stretch for strides. It is only 120m or so long and I don't know the gradient. Not sure if it would be long enough or steep enough for Hill Sprints. Although I don't really know the definition of hill sprints either :D

You and me both:D

I know that spot alright. Although I don't really know what hill sprints are either. Running hard up a shortish but steepish hill, then jogging down and doing it again an again?

"Hill strides" sounds just as good!

Mon 14 Jul

Rest. Well mostly - did a pilates class and a one mile lap of the park directly afterwards.

Tues 15 Jul

5 miles @ 9:27 (8k @ 5:52)

Easy few miles around Glasnevin and Drumcondra, beginning and ending at DCU. Hot and muggy out again. Unfortunately early morning runs are a little difficult at the moment, so have to tough it out in the heat.

WTD: 6 miles (10 km)
    YTD: 571 miles (918 km)

Where are you doing the Pilates, D? I have struggled to find a decent class locally.

I do it at DCU gym, where I'm based - they have lunchtime classes a few times a week. To be honest though, if I weren't a member I'd probably look elsewhere. It's hard to find a good one alright! They used to have a very good instructor at DCU but she's gone elsewhere, out of the country I believe.

• Advertisement

Weds 16 Jul

12.1 miles @ 9:59 (19.4k @ 6:12)

The idea was to do 14-15 miles but I cut this one short - hot and sunny, and although I started brightly enough, it quickly became a slog and by the end it was more of a shuffle. Enjoyed the route though - across the East Link to Irishtown and out the South Wall to the Poolbeg Lighthouse. Mind you the surface of the South Wall is too uneven and I had to concentrate too hard to be able to enjoy the magnificent views of the bay.

WTD: 18 miles (29 km)
    MTD: 105 miles (168 km)
    YTD: 583 miles (938 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

This Meno's plan Murph that you are on yeah? I'm still tossing up DCM here myself but will likely jump into this plan also. Can't check it in work but have a local copy at home I need to tinker with.

Woden wrote: »
    This Meno's plan Murph that you are on yeah? I'm still tossing up DCM here myself but will likely jump into this plan also. Can't check it in work but have a local copy at home I need to tinker with.

Hey there, Woden, how's it going? I see from the 1000 mile challenge that you're putting in the miles. Yes, I'm following the same plan as last year, designed by meno for sophomore marathoners. :)

I've posted a copy here.

Best of luck with DCM training. Hope to be there myself on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Cheer's got a pdf copy from my phone forwarded onto work. Looks like i'm jumping in to 15 weeks to go with the session type this evening.

Outside the session and LSR I guess you just meet the mileage target as you like with the easy runs then is it?

Best of luck for Berlin!

That's the idea alright. The orginal general instructions are here.

Thurs 17 Jul

Easy 5.1 miles @ 9:27 (8.2 km @ 5:22).

It was getting dark as I headed out along the Clontarf seafront for this one. Nice to run in cool conditions for a change. The tide was completely out, making for a much quieter evening than usual. Lovely night for a run. That's it now till Sunday, I think, although I might just do a couple of km on Sat. I tried a gentle parkrun the day before the Terenure 5 mile in May and I still felt it during the race, so won't do that this time.

WTD: 23 mi (37 km)
    MTD: 110 mi (176 km)
    YTD: 588 mi (946 km)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow D.

Hopefully will bump into you tomorrow D. If not best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Best of luck tomo!

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow D.
    Hopefully will bump into you tomorrow D. If not best of luck.
    DOCO12 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomo!

Thanks all, and same to you, R. Looking forward to it.

Advertisement