Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Morning lads and ladies...
    Day 2 after the Wicklow 200 & still quite tired; found it hard to get out of bed this morning!
    Any of you still tired after Wicklow 200?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Arequipa wrote: »
    Morning lads and ladies...
    Day 2 after the Wicklow 200 & still quite tired; found it hard to get out of bed this morning!
    Any of you still tired after Wicklow 200?!

Gave the bike a rest yesterday, 20 km commute taken gingerly enough this morning. Feel a bit better today

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

It was my first time and I found it a tough event. I'd done a couple of sportives this year as a build up (Tour of Wicklow, Orwell Randonnee and Tour de Connemara) but the conditions and the distance made the WW200 far and away the toughest event. I was going fine until the first feed stop but I probably went a bit too fast on the stretch between Hollywood and Baltinglass and paid for it later when I hit Sliamh Mann. My knee started to get sore and there was another 80k to go so I drove as light a gear as possible to keep the pressure off. The feed stops were busy and the food was good, enjoyed the banter with the other riders. On the last stretch it seemed like there would be no end to the hills and rain. None of the hills were particularly steep, it was just hard with over 160k in the legs. On the coast road the sun made a belated appearance and there was a tailwind all the way to the finish. Finished with a smile on my face and rolling time just over 8 hours 40 minutes. Knee really felt sore afterwards but seems to be gradually settling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

lissard wrote: »
    On the last stretch it seemed like there would be no end to the hills and rain. None of the hills were particularly steep, it was just hard with over 160k in the legs. .

Hardest part of the day for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Was it just me or did anyone notice the amount of cyclists with punctures within the first hour of the event !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Was it just me or did anyone notice the amount of cyclists with punctures within the first hour of the event !!

Yeah, all the way out of the Greystones to the long Hill. I seen so many but thankfully i never got one for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Toastbongo

Thank you for your compliments Pedro, We really did enjoy the day and sense of occasion for us. My father actually won the trophy for the oldest vet to complete the course on the day. The organisers made a bit of a fuss about him at the end and had photos taken of him being presented with the trophy which was a wonderful way to round of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Toastbongo

Thank you for your compliments Pedro, We really did enjoy the day and sense of occasion for us. My father actually won the trophy for the oldest vet to complete the course on the day. The organisers made a bit of a fuss about him at the end and had photos taken of him being presented with the trophy which was a wonderful way to round off the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Weather made it a lot tougher than I was hoping for. I don’t mind the rain so much but wind is just soul destroying when trying to keep your speed up for periods of time.

I’d planned for an early start (6.15) so that I would get to the first checkpoint about 10 before all the queues (and last year they ran out of water too) but discovered that no-one was going at my speed – the risk of leaving so early I guess. Weather was bad but I’d stuck a thermal wifebeater on under the MAD top so I was just damp but moving well - wind hitting me sideways but meant that the home stretch would have the wind behind me, decided to go for the full 200 at Glendalough as the wind was pushing me up the gap – result.

I’d dropped the gearing by nearly 10% on the Alfine hub, much easier to climb but I currently spin out at about 40-45kph, not a big concern on something like the 200. Top of the gap was wet and cold so threw a gilet on to keep the wind off on the descent and aero tucked all the way down. Hollywood to Blessington was pure torture – last year I’d zipped along the N81 at over 30 and I was relying on this stage to push my average speed up but it was not to be. There was a group of 5 (2 old fellas made out of teak included) of us fighting the savage headwind and lost one fella as he touched wheels and flopped over like he had been shot. Sorted him out and it took another 5 minutes to get going again, which kind of set up the rest of the route to Sleive Mon – fighting headwinds and completely out of rhythm trying to draft the fella in front until the start of the 2 big climbs. The lower gearing was better than last year but still too high - kept chanting my hill climbing mantra of “faster than walking, faster than walking” as I ground up the climb, rainwater pouring off my nose like I was in the shower back home. Big thanks to the powerbar lads – good spirits and tasty free bars. Didn’t stop too long as it I didn’t want to freeze – aero’ed my way back down passing some over-slow people on the way down. A lot of roadies are worse than me for having an inbuilt “happy max” for descents.

With the wind and the big climbs I had little left – tortured myself to Rathdrum trying to work out current ave speeds and ETA until I stopped for a good feed and 2 mugs of hot coffee, then carried on along what is my regular commute, wind against me again…. Never have I been so slow, the climb out of avoca is familiar (which makes it easier?) but the roads around Redcross appear to be made out of special tyre Velcro and I knew my schedule was out of the window, legs were threatening to cramp but I kept on, pushing just below crippling my legs and dreaming of the beers in the fridge (no beer in nearly 7 weeks…)

Kept pushing and reached the top of the arboretum descent, met up with a Piranha Tri Lad and a few others and suddenly had my mojo back – 66.5Kph down there and then along the deputy’s pass I tucked into the pack and kept up, legs getting used to spinning instead of grinding. Once we hit Glenealy on smooth roads and the wind at our backs (and no bloody rain) it felt like I had a turbo – did a bit at the front but happy to cadge a lift for a big chunk and watching my ave speed lift from 19.8 to 21.7 – I was back on schedule. Got to the short sharp hill at Kilcoole? And where last year I stopped, shattered, this time the red mist descended and I attacked and kept attacking all the way to the finish spinning out and looking like a red faced clown ;)

Which was nice.

I read later that a record number of people (3K) had entered but as of 4pm only 167 people had returned from the 200k as loads had chickened out at Glendalough. Thought overall it was very good, I missed the regular signs at every 10Km that were brill in 2013 for judging progress (I had a little sheet of paper with times scribbled down but it was too wet for that) but loads of marshals, loads of first aid and generally good signage at intersections. The new route from Ashford avoiding that washboard road down by the river was a brilliant change and I really appreciated not having my hands battered that close to the finish.

Weather made it harder for me, but if at ~100kg on a really unsuitable bike I can do it then there is no reason why pretty much anyone else can’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

saccades wrote: »

Weather made it harder for me, but if at ~100kg on a really unsuitable bike I can do it then there is no reason why pretty much anyone else can’t.

Plenty of reasons others may not have managed to do it. Just be happy for yourself and leave everyone else out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

Toastbongo wrote: »
    Thank you for your compliments Pedro, We really did enjoy the day and sense of occasion for us. My father actually won the trophy for the oldest vet to complete the course on the day. The organisers made a bit of a fuss about him at the end and had photos taken of him being presented with the trophy which was a wonderful way to round off the day.

Top marks from the organisers, that was a nice touch from them. Well deserved too tho

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

I had done the Mick Byrne 160K a few weeks back and thought the 200 would be comparatively straightforward....lord god was I wrong. I found the Hollywood to Baltinglass section completely draining - it was impossible to get into a decent rhythm and my left knee was locking up something rotten. I was completely demoralised and having serious doubts about the day, but once we turned after Tinahealy I found myself enjoying it - and by Glenmalure I knew the worst was over. The final section from Avoca to Greystones was just wonderful with the help of the tailwind.

I thought the overall organisation/marshalling etc was top-notch and it was a great feeling being applauded into the Shoreline by the people outside (although this may have been an hallucination).

I captured some video footage of the day if anyone’s interested, the lens fogged up after Hollywood, but I was too tired to care.
    http://youtu.be/1gdsYiwjunU

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

It was my first time doing a sportive and very happy to have finished the 200. Quite an eye-opener in terms of the level some people are at and it was a big learning experience in terms of nutrition, gear, training etc required for these. I got around in about in around 9 hours moving time (my phone died on me so don't know exactly). The hardest part for me was probably going up Slieve Mann - very tempted to get off my bike but kept it going nice and slowly.

After reading about previous years I was expecting the organisation not to be the best but I couldn't fault it in the slightest. I think all the marshalls gave a few words of encouragement which was great to hear. I went to the Centra in Rathdrum instead of the organised food stop but the one in Baltinglass was fine.

Great day out and already looking forward to next years event.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

nice video julio- enjoyed that, i did the 160 mb too and was looking forward to a comparably handier day with the ww200, perhaps it was the weather but i found the ww tougher like yourself. put too much energy into the first half of the day and hung on for dear life to a couple fast groups on the final leg. stiff on the bike this am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Plenty of reasons others may not have managed to do it. Just be happy for yourself and leave everyone else out of it.

Sorry, that was a direct copy of the report I stuck in the MTB clubs forum - as goading encouragement for them for next year - in hindsight there are few things I should have adjusted. It's a proper challange and very hard and fair play to anyone attempting either of the 2 spins, never mind completeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 captainchaos

Braved the rain and the wind to complete the 200 in moving time of 9hrs 27mins so quite pleased. Left Greystones at 6am as I knew it would take 10 hrs + to complete ( did seriously consider changing to 100 as I cycled towards Laragh but delighted I went for the 200. I knew that not many were doing the 200 as by the time I got to Baltinglass only about 20 people had passed me!
    Though the food stop was excellent ( avoided Rathdrum TBH) and the stewarding was very good!
    Wondering are the W200 website going to put up results and photos?? ( didn't see any photographers )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

( didn't see any photographers )

I did see one guy with a very pro looking camera setup somewhere between Kilmacanogue and Roundwood. I can't remember exactly where. I didn't see much after that thanks to the rain making my glasses utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Greytop

Toastbongo wrote: »
    Completed My 4th W200 with my 78 year old father today. We went around at a leasurly pace and completed the course in just over 10 hours rolling time. Very satisfying for both of us and I think an incredible achievment for my father at this age and in these weather conditions. At this age the only way to complete the W200 is at your own pace.

The last time we rode the W200 together was in 1983, the secound time the event was ever run and it pissed rain all day that that day as well. I was 16 years old at the time. Nutts !!!!!

78 years of age, and I thought that I was doing well at 65 years, you should be really proud of your dad. It was a miserable day but the good company and crack on route and the tail wind up the hills made it all worth while and I was lucky to be one of the riders home before 4pm, but then I did start at 6am and was at the feed station early so no delays. Did any one else see the 10 and 12 year old's who were doing the 200. They passed me just before Aughavanna and they were moving hard, is there not an age limit for entry as I would have thought that 200K was a bit much for young riders.
    It was my second Wicklow 200 and half through I said never again, but now that the stiffens is gone I am looking forward to 2015 (hopefully it will have stopped raining by then) well done to all. Hopefully I will get out on the bike to night to get the legs moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 captainchaos

Hi Greytop,

Think I may have cycled alongside you for a while as I also remember the 10 and 12 year olds just before Aghavannagh!
    Got in just after 4pm myself!

Jeff

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Saw the same photographer at three different spots. He choose well for good action corner shots at pace. Might actually make me look fast!

Great day, altho a tough day obviously.

Marshalling was superb I thought. Fair play to everyone who did this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

http://spin11.com/store/#!/~/product/category=9695201&id=37211932

Looks nice. Anyone have any experience with the fit of Spin 11 jerseys? I'm a M in champ systems and a size 4 in Nalini if that's any help??

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Greytop

Hi Greytop,

Think I may have cycled alongside you for a while as I also remember the 10 and 12 year olds just before Aghavannagh!
    Got in just after 4pm myself!

Jeff

Hi Jeff
    Yes I believe that we may have being cycling under the same rainy cloud for most of the day and spoke at the top of Slive Mann. I also decided not to stop in Rathdrum as I was to wet and the rain was still coming down. It did eventually stop in Avoca when I took my rain jacket off for the first time. I agree with previous riders that the marshalling was very good and thanks to all the Marshalls who waited in the rain all day to make the event safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

mal1 wrote: »
    Lads like Woulter Weylandt?

WTF - unbelievably low post.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Starting to feel normal again now after a tough day in the saddle last Sunday. Few shout outs;

Thanks to Dragratchet for dragging me up into a fast group on the road to Baltinglass and all the lads riding in it. Despite the headwind and the rain it made that section much more bearable. Also good group riding by everyone in spite of the conditions. Was talking to a guy in blue club gear from near Naas with clip on aero bars.

Thanks also the group that overtook us in the last 20 km so we all rode in strongly together. Esp to the guys and girls from Armagh cc who made up most of the group. Likewise good safe and fast riding all around in that bunch. I was the guy in the green jersey (w200 2004, back when they gave out jersies) if anyone's reading.

Was a strange day, due to the lucky tailwind I didn't suffer much at all on the big climbs, but the constant rain and small climbs wore me down a bit. I find the toughest part is always the series of small climbs after Avoca, not because they're especially hard but you're just knackered by then.

No problems with the organisation or other riders, I didn't see any crashes all day which was something of a miracle given the weather. Maybe I was lucky in the groups I was in but everyone seemed to be sensible and good in group riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

any photos of the day posted anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    any photos of the day posted anywhere?

Only ones I've seen so far are https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.608328445940794.1073741867.345639338876374&type=3

53 in the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

letape wrote: »
    WTF - unbelievably low post.

In context of my next post and the discussion, it wasn't. My point was that it wasn't fair to be calling riders that crash, idiots. Even the pros make mistakes. I wasn't insulting the mentioned rider. I had it out with the Mod already and it was agreed that i should have said more in my post since on it's own, it looks bad.

And in fairness, there's a question mark at the end of the sentence which means it's not me stating a fact or insulting anybody. It's a rhetorical question in relation to the statement made before that one can spot an idiot rider as someone lying in the ditch.

Nobody seemed offended that others take the piss of riders that didn't complete the 200 km and skipped onto the 100km or regarding the couple that crashed during the day. Then i make a rhetorical question regardng the deceased and the thought people start taking action.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

There was still delays at the fooed stop at the first food stop (Baltinglass i thimk ), the problem i see is that too much time is spent checking your card. There is one person doing this inside the door, if this was done by the stewards outside the door then that third person could help giving out food, this would speed matters up by a third. Also I saw a person cycling the Wicklow 200 without a helmet ?, is this a new trend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

bedirect wrote: »
    There was still delays at the fooed stop at the first food stop (Baltinglass i thimk ), the problem i see is that too much time is spent checking your card. There is one person doing this inside the door, if this was done by the stewards outside the door then that third person could help giving out food, this would speed matters up by a third. Also I saw a person cycling the Wicklow 200 without a helmet ?, is this a new trend ?

Almost 3000 entries in the event. You allegedly saw one cyclist along the route without a helmet.
    Is that a new trend? you ask.

The short answer is probably no. I don't think that the actions of one person from 2901 is enough to cite it as evidence of a new trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

Allegedly ? What's this. A person can't post up anything factual anymore ?The person with no helmet just looked out of place. I thought it was a condition of entry that a helmet was worn

Advertisement