Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

paulie_irl wrote: »
    this must have been another accident Eamonnator is talking about !

the lady I attended to got admitted to A&E that all I know!

I've only done the race twice and both times I've seen people sprawled at that corner. It's a pity that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Did 220. Marshall put me the wrong direction thinking i was with a group from a Swords cycling club that were heading in another direction. Food wasn't bad. Good route but not as well organised as other sportives.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

Tough day out. Right from the start going up the long hill and the road to Roundwood struggled to fine any groups to get in. Apart from the tailwind over the Wicklow Gap the first 100km was really hard going, especially the 20km from Hollywood to Blessington. Stopped at the food station for 30 mins and that was to long as was cold getting back on the bike and took about 20 mins to warm up.

Got into a 3 man group from Blessington to the turn before Tinahely, was a great help but the legs were shot from there on home, got over the Slieve Mann (hammered rain, hard going) and Shay Elliot. Straight on home from there, Redcross was a drag and a half.

Thanks to the Marshall's and helpers, well run and improvement on previous years.

http://www.strava.com/activities/150971615

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

zindicato wrote: »
    who was the fella that i shouted ''boards jersey sighting ''going up the long drag in avoca?

Saw a guy in green boards kit at the food stop in baltinglass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

What a day. Must have rained for about 7 of the 8 hours I spent on the bike. Average speed 25.2km which I'm happy with because of the weather.

Never stopped or filled my bottles in ballintinglass and ran out long before sliver man. My back completely gave out due to creak in neck and the rain. Got the best water ever at the top and my gels started working then. Shay Elliot was better.

Best sandwhich ever in rathdrum and pain killers for my back. Run home was hard. Not a lit of talking in the groups today. I think most people suffered.

My beer now tastes great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

So did yer man with the 2013 medal complaint get a medal this time? If not, we'll never hear the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

did the 200 today, the rain coming down around 6:30am as i drove down the n11 scared the bejaysus out of me.. luckily it held off once we got moving, untill we were on the road to laragh. tough but enjoyable day despite the weather, only adds to the epicness of the whole thing i spose.. highlight was getting a quick breather while a young kid corralled a herd of cows towards our group on some tiny road on the home leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

First time doing the 200. Really enjoyed it. Marshals did an excellent job. I didn't think the wait in Baltinglass was that bad considering the numbers involved. Sandwiches were top notch. Whoever told me the 200 is easier than the Orwell Randonnee lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've only done the race twice and both times I've seen people sprawled at that corner.
    It's not a race!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

The way some lads were coming down slieve Mann you would have thought they were on the tour. Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

cheerspal wrote: »
    The way some lads were coming down slieve Mann you would have thought they were on the tour. Idiots.

I do the W200, to enjoy myself. I imagine most people are the same.
    Yesterday, I was overtaken at great speed on the descent from Se Elliot, by three guys. I would dearly have loved to have able to keep up with them.
    I can only imagine the buzz, they got from descending so quickly and so safely. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Lumen wrote: »
    It's not a race!

Phew! That was a close one. My sincerest thanks for the correction and I'm sure the rest of the boards users will benefit from that.

Allow me to rephrase

I've only done the event twice and both times I've seen people sprawled at that corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Phew! That was a close one. My sincerest thanks for the correction and I'm sure the rest of the boards users will benefit from that.
    Your probable sarcasm suggests that you don't think the distinction is important. I do think it's important for several reasons that ought to be obvious (insurance, expectations, people crashing out on corners for no good reason).

That said, I came fairly close to running out of road at 70+kph on the Orwell Randonnee (which I knew perfectly well was not a race), so there's no accounting for idiotic mistakes even from people who should know better.

OTOH with thousands of cyclists on the road, many of them tired and/or excited at the awesomeness of it all, it's hardly surprising there are a few scrapes.

I don't see that problem with it provided they don't put others in danger. If they hurt themselves then that's their risk. I didn't see anybody put anybody else in danger so why be bothered.

Lumen wrote: »
    Your probable sarcasm suggests that you don't think the distinction is important. I do think it's important for several reasons that ought to be obvious (insurance, expectations, people crashing out on corners for no good reason).

That said, I came fairly close to running out of road at 70+kph on the Orwell Randonnee (which I knew perfectly well was not a race), so there's no accounting for idiotic mistakes even from people who should know better.

OTOH with thousands of cyclists on the road, many of them tired and/or excited at the awesomeness of it all, it's hardly surprising there are a few scrapes.

I think the guy knows the distinction and is just saying that it is a slip of the tongue. I think that all doing a 200 km event knows the difference, well i would hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

mal1 wrote: »
    I think the guy knows the distinction and is just saying that it is a slip of the tongue. I think that all doing a 200 km event knows the difference, well i would hope so.

You hope in vain.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I do the W200, to enjoy myself. I imagine most people are the same.
    Yesterday, I was overtaken at great speed on the descent from Se Elliot, by three guys. I would dearly have loved to have able to keep up with them.
    I can only imagine the buzz, they got from descending so quickly and so safely. Fair play to them.

I have no problem flying down when dry but with that wind and the roads very wet it was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

I thought the day was in general very well organised, the scanning in of the cards really speeds up registration and the marshalling was very good. Sometimes it's the little things that can make a difference though, my companion punctured just coming into Rathdrum, he changed the tube and pumped it up as best as he could then came up to the food stop where he thought there would surely be a track pump available, but there wasn't, luckily the Orwell car was there and they very kindly sorted him out. Also there was no mechanical support at Rathdrum, where both 100 and 200km routes had their food stop, I'd have thought it's a logical place to have it, could have done with a small drop of chain lube myself, the water on the road down to Rathdrum seems to have degreased mine better than I can do at home, when it dried out it was making some alarming noises.

I have to say I was very envious of some of the team car/van setups on the road yesterday, looking at lads/ladies getting hot food/drink and dry gear was making me think I'm going to have to crack the whip with our lot before next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

The fact that some riders have the confidence , competence and bike handling skills to descend fast and safely does not label them as idiots.
    For some the whole reward for climbing a big mountain is the sheer thrill of a fast descent
    If you felt happy to descend at whatever speed you were doing then in your opinion anyone travelling faster was an idiot !:confused:

. Headwind for 80% of the day added to the delight. .
    Dont know what rout you were on but our group had a fabulous tailwind most of the day . Apart from Hollywood - Baltinglass and sections of the Baltinglass - Avoca it was a great help . Any day you have a tailwind up Wicklow gap, Ballinabarney, Slieve Maan And Shay Elliot is a good day :confused:

• Advertisement

. Any day you have a tailwind up Wicklow gap, Ballinabarney, Slieve Maan And Shay Elliot is a good day :confused:

tail-wind up the wicklow gap was great yesterday, absolutely flew up it (relative to my usual grind up)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Enjoyable day, despite the weather. Big big shout out to the Powerbar guys on top of Slieve Maan; they do a super job every year.

Came into Baltinglass, saw a huge queue and was too wet and cold to stop. No control, no medal but hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Set off well enough and, according to strava, set a few PR's up through Kilmacanogue. I felt tired before I started and probably over did it on the bike in the lead-up so my legs felt heavy - I thought they'd kick into action, which they never really did over the day. A lesson learned for the next Sportive. Definitely the most miserable I've felt on a bike in a long while - time for me to look at the amount of cycling and, in particular recovery, I'm doing.

All was looking good until a puncture just after Laragh - 1st of 2 on the day. That sort of set me back and struggled to find my rhythm for the rest of the day. Further mechanicals also didn't help - was stuck in 25T on the rear, so was murder going up Slieve Maan and Shay Elliott.

I second the marshalling and Powerbar guys - top notch as ever and no issues. Food was better as well in the stops - sandwiches and snacks better than the last few years. I got cold after Baltinglass food stop and the headwind (the only one of the day really) was murder for the next 20odd km. Shout out to the Fitzcycle lads on to of Slieve Maan who pumped up my tires ion the lashing rain - fair play.

Final mechanical was getting stuck in the small ring on the front with about 30 km to go - so spun like a demon home. Had a 2nd puncture within the last 15km which did me in.

All in all glad I did it - lessons learned all round in terms of rest and bike readiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Pretty damn faultless. I only stopped for food at Rathdrum, thankfully no quibbling over 1 food item person. Got as much food as I wanted.

Nice improvements over the finishing stretches , giving an easier ride in, ( fly over the M11 onwards )

Feeling that the organisers have listened to previous quibles over the years.

historically, what would be a very fast rolling time across the 200 course?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Mixed feelings this time, compared to last year. Miserable day to be on the bike, cold developing shiver at stops, which made stops short and purposeful. Was hoping to enjoy fast descends, but rivers on roads didn't add too much confidence and lashing rain hurt looking straight. It turned up from being an enjoyable and observing ride to rather a fly through survival speeding to the dry, which actually did improve my time by an hour to 7.5 hours at ~27kph avg. Didn't even talk to anyone this year...

Being not local, had no clue of where I was, but better surface this year, marshaling was excellent with clear signalling and direction, fair play to these lads standing in the rain for hours. My friend rode into a crash on the road, but luckily nothing serious except bruise on his elbow. Everyone else seemed to be alright too.

Other than that, bike behaved, gatorskins see W200 2nd time puncture free. Rear hub pawls sound a bit loud after all this rain, might require a quick service. Brake pads, that came with 105s brakes, have seen a lot of abuse during the day, but were excellent otherwise.

Thanks again to marshalling, organizers and those in front who sheltered from the head wind at times.

The fact that some riders have the confidence , competence and bike handling skills to descend fast and safely does not label them as idiots.
    For some the whole reward for climbing a big mountain is the sheer thrill of a fast descent
    If you felt happy to descend at whatever speed you were doing then in your opinion anyone travelling faster was an idiot !:confused:

I wouldn't describe descending at 60+ km/h on a soaked and windy road safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Pulling the brakes at 60kph on a soaked and windy descent can be more dangerous! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ah it's not that windy, you can take almost all of those bends without braking.

• Advertisement

Good for you so I presume you descended at an appropriate speed in a safe manner.
    However that does not mean that someone else who descends faster and feels competent and confident in their ability to do so is an idiot. They would also feel that they were descending at an appropriate speed.:)

Advertisement