Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2014

Options
  • 21-05-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone done this cycle before ? Seems a right toughie ! Any tips ? (apart from dont do it ) :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

greenspurs wrote: »
    Anyone done this cycle before ? Seems a right toughie ! Any tips ? (apart from dont do it ) :)

I've done it the last three years. Tips would be;

- Check the weather the night before and dress appropriately. Bring waterproof jacket regardless. I'd also have leg warmers and arm warmers stashed in the back of my jersey.

- Check your bike thoroughly the night before; tyre pressure, clean and lubed chain, etc... Bring at least two spare tubes and the means to change and inflate them.

- Good padded shorts, and for me at least, chamois cream with some spare to be applied mid ride. Get a long spin in this weekend to make sure your set-up is comfy for a long day in the saddle.

- Take an easy pace and enjoy the ride, some big climbs about 120k in, so go at a slowish version of your preferred pace and don't bother trying to keep up with anyone.

- Bring extra food and eat and drink regularly as you ride. Don't depend on the food stops as your only source of nourishment.

- Enjoy the day and the banter with others out there. There'll always be someone going at roughly your pace, regardless of what that pace is, and I say that as a slower rider. Keep smiling and relaxed and you'll get through fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Entry for this years Wicklow 200 has closed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rayr

Got number and card in post this morning. My first time to do the W200 and first 200 full stop. Have done a number of 160s so looking forward to it. From previous experience do people,wait for the first food stop at 85k or stop before then?
    Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Surprised there isn't the usual massive thread about it this year?

I've done it twice. Once in glorious sunshine (my first Sportive - I got to hold Sean Kelly's bike - swoon) and once the year it was held underwater.

Great craic both times. It's very sociable and you meet all sorts.

If you search here you'll find all sorts of detail on how to approach the day. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Signed up for this. My first time doing a 200. Bring on the pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

rayr wrote: »
    Got number and card in post this morning. My first time to do the W200 and first 200 full stop. Have done a number of 160s so looking forward to it. From previous experience do people,wait for the first food stop at 85k or stop before then?
    Thx.
    The first 80k whizz by. We only collected water as the queue for grub was too long. Bring food anyway in case. Use petrol stations around the food stop for anything you need not provided like a quad expeesso !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Keep a bit of energy back for the run in from Avoca (155km). There are a few surprisingly tiring drags coming out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Keep a bit of energy back for the run in from Avoca (155km). There are a few surprisingly tiring drags coming out of there.

Write it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

When reading the information and they say that the climb out of Avoca is the last climb of the day and it's a fairly flat run in from there remember one thing: They lie, oh christ do they lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Kids keep getting sick which means I cant get out for rides, even when I take time off work to do so. AAAgghhhh! Not going to have the ideal number of miles in the legs so could be a bit of sufferfest unfortunately.

Pace. Eat lots. Enjoy (hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

The Mick Byrne Randonne is this weekend. Also 200k around wicklow but with 50% more climbing and only for €15. If you have trained the W200 is not nearly as tough as others like the Sean Kelly 160K. My advice is to skip the food stops and go to the local Centra for decent food.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

i thought the food last year was pretty good tbh, spose depends what time you hit the stops, how long you'll be q'ing. i defo agree with having a few quid to buy water elsewhere, especially if its as hot as it was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rayr

borntobike wrote: »
    The Mick Byrne Randonne is this weekend. Also 200k around wicklow but with 50% more climbing and only for €15. If you have trained the W200 is not nearly as tough as others like the Sean Kelly 160K. My advice is to skip the food stops and go to the local Centra for decent food.

Yeah looked at that one. Maybe next year if W200 goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

thanks guys... Was surprised there was no thread about this event!
    "If you have trained the W200 is not nearly as tough as others like the Sean Kelly 160K"
    Wow really ? I know the s kelly 160 is a toughie, but i thought the climbs in the 200 looked tougher...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

"If you have trained the W200 is not nearly as tough as others like the Sean Kelly 160K"
    Wow really ? I know the s kelly 160 is a toughie, but i thought the climbs in the 200 looked tougher...

im doing it without paying .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

figs666 wrote: »

Why? You can do the W200 course any day, why turn up on someones elses event?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

figs666 wrote: »

Still smarting from last year's edition?.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Anyone got any tips on what to bring for fuel?

Was thinking about the following;

6 gels
    5 Berry Power bars
    Two 750 ML bottles
    Tube of High5 Zero Xtreme Electrolyte Drink Tabs
    3 bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

cheerspal wrote: »

6 gels
    5 Berry Power bars
    Two 750 ML bottles
    3 bananas

thats a fair bit of grub (and extra weight) tbh, id burn through a lot of calories on the bike and wouldn't take half that. did the mick byrne yest and in addition to the food stops (3) provided by the sorreto lads, i brought 3 x gels (didnt use) 3 lidl muesli bars (ate them all) a bottle with high5 tab in and a bottle with a carb mix in. there are two decent food stops on the wicklow where you can get your fill of calories. still everyone's metabolism is different you know yourself best. better to have it than not

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

6 gels
    5 Berry Power bars
    Two 750 ML bottles
    3 bananas

I'd go down to 1 gel, 3 bars, 2 bottles, and 2 bananas. There's food stops with real food along the way, that's a massive amount to be carrying! Last year there was sandwiches, bananas and (I think) some fruitcake. Much easier on the stomach than all that energy food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

6 gels
    5 Berry Power bars
    Two 750 ML bottles
    3 bananas

I'd eat a fair bit when on the bike. I aim for about 1 piece of food or gel per hour and maybe both if leading up a climb. Better to have it than not and the gels don't weigh that much.

I have a high5 rack pack for the W200. Probably wont use it all as ill have my food with me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'll be bringing two energybars and ONE gel (only as an emergency). To drink ill have two bottles and spare high5 tablets. No need to carry any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

I think I burn out more quickly not sure. Was out on Saturday and did 100km and 2000m climbing had the following;

Porridge for breakfast

3 Gels
    1 Banana
    2 Power bars
    Drank 4 750ml bottles

Was a bit knackered on the way home.

I know there will be food stops in Wicklow and garages. Just dont want to be bonking my way home.

Might drop the bananas and can buy them in shops or get them at the stops. They will be the heaviest things next to water.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

6 gels
    5 Berry Power bars
    Two 750 ML bottles
    3 bananas

Last year I brought 3 bananas, 5 bars, two bottles with hi-5 4:1, 2 spare sachets of 4:1. So pretty much what's on your list apart from the gels which do nothing for me. Ate the bananas and four of the bars, skipped the first food stop but had tea and a sandwich in the second, and it worked out fine.

IMHO, bananas are a great eat as you ride food with handy bio-degradable wrapper, fine to be chucked into the nearest field. You could get away with much less if you use the shops en-route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Does anyone know if it will be possible to enter on the day?? I know registration is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I usually take enough food to get me to the first food stop - two or three bananas and a granola bar - plus a bit to spare for later on. I find I need to eat early and often on a long run like the Wicklow. In addition I'll have high 5 in the bottles plus some additional high 5 to make up a second set of bottles. I also carry two or three gels and one or two more granola bars just in case. I try to eat more soid food - cake/sandwiches - at the foodstops. Normally I end up using one or two of the gels on those drags out of Avoca.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

No it won't be possible on the day. The best you can do is see if you can find someone who is registered but now can't make it - arrange a transfer with them. There was a thread requesting a transfer here last week IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

In my experience the W200 is considerably tougher than the Sean Kelly 160. More climbs (including small ones between the big ones) and of course 40 extra kms.

But I hasten to add, agreeing with the original poster, not nearly as tough as the Mick Byrne, which I am currently recovering from. Damn tough day in the saddle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Merged with Wicklow 200 thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pharma

Good god that's a lot of food. I do 100k on just water. 220k yesterday on water and three bananas. 30km avg

I think you can train yourself not to need all that food.

Try eating High Fat, Low Carb during rest of week, I know it's counter intuitive but it works. Get much better blood sugar control.

Advertisement