Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing weight in 5 weeks.

Options
  • 20-05-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭

I'm a pretty disciplined individual but I have put on a few pounds over the last couple of years, stressful job, stressful kids and all that crap. Anyway I basically started counting calories on my fitness pal. I want to lose about 3lbs a week. Was planning on doing 3 40 minute spinning classes a week and 4 half hour jogs on a 1370 calorie in take diet. Do we reckon that will be enough to lose 15 lbs in 5 weeks?

I was also considering doing P90x for the 5 weeks to tone up , possible or not possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

What are your maintenance calories, height, weight?

1370 calories seems extremely low for the amount of exercise you're doing.

Is there any particular reason you want to loae so much in so little time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

What are your maintenance calories, height, weight?

1370 calories seems extremely low for the amount of exercise you're doing.

Is there any particular reason you want to loae so much in so little time?

6ft 2 - 203lbs

Maintenance 3123 - according to a website I used this week.

I work well on goals and projects so I thought if I stuck to something like 15 lbs in 5 weeks, it would be tough but rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

6ft 2 - 203lbs

Maintenance 3123 - according to a website I used this week.

I work well on goals and projects so I thought if I stuck to something like 15 lbs in 5 weeks, it would be tough but rewarding.

So you plan to cut your calories by almost 2000 per day? That's absolutely bonkers.

Healthy weight loss is around 1-2lbs per week. To achieve 1lb, cut 500 cals from what you currently eat. To cut 2 lbs, cut 1,000 (of course, burning it off rather than cutting is also a good option, preferably a combo of cutting and burning).

Tbh I don't see how a crash diet (which is what such a massive cal deficit is) could be rewarding. To keep weight off, you should be making sustainable changes, not exhausting and starving yourself for a little over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

So you plan to cut your calories by almost 2000 per day? That's absolutely bonkers.

Healthy weight loss is around 1-2lbs per week. To achieve 1lb, cut 500 cals from what you currently eat. To cut 2 lbs, cut 1,000 (of course, burning it off rather than cutting is also a good option, preferably a combo of cutting and burning).

Tbh I don't see how a crash diet (which is what such a massive cal deficit is) could be rewarding. To keep weight off, you should be making sustainable changes, not exhausting and starving yourself for a little over a month.

Well I have been relatively sedate on the exercise front of late too. I have been doing it for 3 days and I havent found it that tough to be honest. I made some changes to my diet as well cut out bread and most gluten products but started eating alot more veg and fruit and nuts. I'm sure I will crash at some point this weekend though.

I'll probably look to just cut 1,000 calories then. I wasnt really planning anything because I havent started the exercise regime without the exercise the maintenance is like 2,400 so the calorie drop was about 1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Hi, I don't believe anyone should count calories- pretty impossible to stick to over long term- too restrictive. Cut out all sugars and grains. Eat lots of meat, eggs, butter, cream, some good cheese (fat is good). Eat lots of veg especially green- go easy on starchy veg. Go easy on fruit and nuts- choose berries & macadamia. Basically a mix of paleo & high fat/ low carb (hflc) it's impossible not to succeed following this way of eating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Well I have been relatively sedate on the exercise front of late too. I have been doing it for 3 days and I havent found it that tough to be honest. I made some changes to my diet as well cut out bread and most gluten products but started eating alot more veg and fruit and nuts. I'm sure I will crash at some point this weekend though.

I'll probably look to just cut 1,000 calories then. I wasnt really planning anything because I havent started the exercise regime without the exercise the maintenance is like 2,400 so the calorie drop was about 1,000.

If you cut your calories too severely you're body will go into starvation mode to compensate , metabolic rate tends to drop more with more excessive caloric deficits , sure you'll burn fat , but you'll be burning muscle at the same time.
    You really can't rush this.
    Bruno26 wrote: »
    Hi, I don't believe anyone should count calories- pretty impossible to stick to over long term- too restrictive. Cut out all sugars and grains. Eat lots of meat, eggs, butter, cream, some good cheese (fat is good). Eat lots of veg especially green- go easy on starchy veg. Go easy on fruit and nuts- choose berries & macadamia. Basically a mix of paleo & high fat/ low carb (hflc) it's impossible not to succeed following this way of eating.

Please don't listen to this .

Of course track your calories , it's really easy using myfitnesspal , Nuts , cream , butter are a caloric pitfall , you'll never know how much you've eaten unless you track it.

Please don't listen to this . you obviously know better!

Of course track your calories , it's really easy using myfitnesspal , Nuts , cream , butter are a caloric pitfall , you'll never know how much you've eaten unless you track it.[/quote]

If you cut out all grains and sugar you never need to count calories again. If you like counting then count macros. All calories are not equal and affect the body differently- cream and butter can be enjoyed in plentiful amounts as can certain nuts . See tim noakes, gary taubes, mark sisson, vinnie tortorich.

Just giving an opinion that is gaining support worldwide - listen to whatever you want!
    Counting calories = always dieting = unsustainable
    This is a complete way of life that is easily sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Please don't listen to this . you obviously know better!
    Of course track your calories , it's really easy using myfitnesspal , Nuts , cream , butter are a caloric pitfall , you'll never know how much you've eaten unless you track it.

If you cut out all grains and sugar you never need to count calories again. If you like counting then count macros. All calories are not equal and affect the body differently- cream and butter can be enjoyed in plentiful amounts as can certain nuts . See tim noakes, gary taubes, mark sisson, vinnie tortorich.

Just giving an opinion that is gaining support worldwide - listen to whatever you want!

Where to start....
    Cutting out grains and sugar isn't a magic cure , sure lowering sugar intake is a good idea and would no doubt be beneficial to allot of the general public who over consume .

Yes all calories are equal , by definition , a calorie is a standard measurement it is 4.18 joules , or the amount of energy needed to raise 1kg or water though 1 °C You cannot say " all volts are not equal.

Allot of people count calories on a bulk .Imagine going to a petrol station where none of the pumps had a read out, you just put the fuel in and hope it's enough petrol to get you to where you want to go... this is what you're advocating.. The body is a machine , food is fuel , track your intake whether you want to lose , maintain or gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

If you don't count calories at the start then losing weight is going to be very very difficult. Not impossible but difficult.

No one has to count calories their entire life but to lose weight it's practically essential. Maintaining a healthy weight is a different story

papu wrote: »
    Where to start....
    Cutting out grains and sugar isn't a magic cure ,
    It really is the only cure- read grain brain, wheat belly,

Yes all calories are equal , by definition , a calorie is a standard measurement it is 4.18 joules , or the amount of energy needed to raise 1kg or water though 1 °C.
    They're not- read the calorie myth, why we get fat- low carbs are the key to weight loss. It's possible to eat 5000 calories of the right food and maintain or lose weight

A lot of people count calories on a bulk - that's fine but I'm sure they count macros also.

Hormones also play a huge role in how our bodies hold on to fat and where in the body

Read the primal blueprint, the paleo solution, why we get fat, good calories bad calories, wheat belly , grain brain, the big fat surprise, real meal revolution- get them on audiobook. Watch documentary cereal killers.

Then see if you are still convinced by counting calories.

I know this doesn't make it right but there are not too many if any books on amazon nutrition top 50 that advocate calorie counting.

• Advertisement

desultory wrote: »
    If you don't count calories at the start then losing weight is going to be very very difficult. Not impossible but difficult.

I disagree- no need to count calories at any time - just cut sugar and grain - the weight drops off. Even just try cutting bread and weight will drop off - wheat is the one thing that has to be eliminated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yes all calories are equal , by definition , a calorie is a standard measurement it is 4.18 joules , or the amount of energy needed to raise 1kg or water though 1 °C.
    They're not- read the calorie myth, why we get fat- low carbs are the key to weight loss. It's possible to eat 5000 calories of the right food and maintain or lose weight

Wow. Yeah ignore this guy.

By his definition your body magically just makes the extra calories it doesn't use disappear somehow because they came from nutrient dense foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Of course you need to eat the right foods, that's a given, but if you've no idea how much of anything you're getting on board, then it makes making a change a bit blind.

You it doesn't have to be a long-term rule but you still need to have an idea of the level of calories and macros of what you're getting on board.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Wow. Yeah ignore this guy.

By his definition your body magically just makes the extra calories it doesn't use disappear somehow because they came from nutrient dense foods.

Have you read anything I listed?

Have you read anything I listed?

Yep read a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Wooo, this thread is shaping up to be a good one......

Yep read a few of them.

Really- whic ones? You weren't convinced and still believe in counting cals?

For years I was a believer in counting cals but after reading have changed everything I thought was true about nutrition

For years I was a believer in counting cals but after reading have changed everything I thought was true about nutrition

If you don't count cals how the hell will you know how many you're eating to reach your desired goal?

Primal blueprint, paleo solution. Watched a few documentaries and read a good bit on the topics on their blogs. Very interesting reads and I agree eating clean and natural should be the goal but to say counting calories doesn't work is just not understanding the system. Certain foods take slightly more calories to digest but this is mainly protein having a thermogenic effect of about 23% while carbs and fats is somewhere in the region of 8-10%. That's the only difference that counting calories won't take into account.

Counting calories and eating good nutrient dense food is the solution. At least in the beginning. Down the line you can most likely stop counting unless you hit a plateau.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Counting calories can lead a person to insanity. Fact.

Might work for such a short period but I would normally recommend against counting.

• Advertisement

vidor wrote: »
    Counting calories can lead a person to insanity. Fact.

Might work for such a short period but I would normally recommend against counting.

You make it sound like such a big deal...

top madra wrote: »
    If you don't count cals how the hell will you know how many you're eating to reach your desired goal?

How many of the books listed have you read? Completely changed my views

99% of the population should not count- bulking is different- im talking about fat loss/ maintenance .

Counting cals is unsustainable and head wrecking

Again I will state cut sugar and grain (think about it) .

See tim noakes and vinnie tortorich- eat real food- high fat-low carb.

See mark sisson on grammes of carbs for goals.

I disagree.

I have a good idea, to the nearest ten calories or so, what 90% of my food choices have in terms of calories and macros. It doesn't take long to get to that and it's not head wrecking.

Primal blueprint, paleo solution. Watched a few documentaries and read a good bit on the topics on their blogs. Very interesting reads and I agree eating clean and natural should be the goal but to say counting calories doesn't work is just not understanding the system. Certain foods take slightly more calories to digest but this is mainly protein having a thermogenic effect of about 23% while carbs and fats is somewhere in the region of 8-10%. That's the only difference that counting calories won't take into account.

Counting calories and eating good nutrient dense food is the solution. At least in the beginning. Down the line you can most likely stop counting unless you hit a plateau.

I didn't say counting cals doesn't work- it's unsustainable and very difficult- you end up starving yourself .
    Eat the right foods when your hungry / you will find with elimination if sugar and grains you don't get hunger cravings. You feel satiated. See tim noakes and vinnie tortorich (fat adaptation- even ketosis)

Eating nutrient dense food hugely important also- very good video from mat lalonde

I disagree.

I have a good idea, to the nearest ten calories or so, what 90% of my food choices have in terms of calories and macros. It doesn't take long to get to that and it's not head wrecking.

So if you reach the amount of calories you allow yourself to eat and are starving in the evening do you continue to starve. There is no need for people to live like this.

How many of the books listed have you read? Completely changed my views

99% of the population should not count- bulking is different- im talking about fat loss/ maintenance .

Again I will state cut sugar and grain (think about it) .

See tim noakes and vinnie tortorich- eat real food- high fat-low carb.

See mark sisson on grammes of carbs for goals.

Head wrecking for you maybe..

I can can cut sugar and grain and still eat too much so wtf is your point about them two?

If I'm not counting cals and eating too much = weight gain (it doesn't matter if I cut sugar and grain, if I still eat too much 'real food' I'm still gonna gain weight)

People that listen to tripe you're talking are the same ones that end up going around in circles their whole lives.

So if you reach the amount of calories you allow yourself to eat and are starving in the evening do you continue to starve. There is no need for people to live like this.

Like I said, it's in conjunction with eating decent food so if I've reached my calorie 'allowance' for the day, I'm not starving.

I didn't say counting cals doesn't work- it's unsustainable and very difficult- you end up starving yourself .

Why would you end up starving yourself? I'm basically advocating the same thing as you except with a measurable metric added on. If you're goal is to lose weight and you are losing weight that means you're in a deficit regardless if you count or not. You;re just as likely to be starving doing it your way.

top madra wrote: »
    Head wrecking for you maybe..

I can can cut sugar and grain and still eat too much so wtf is your point about them two?

If I'm not counting cals and eating too much = weight gain (it doesn't matter if I cut sugar and grain, if I still eat too much 'real food' I'm still gonna gain weight)

People that listen to tripe you're talking are the same ones that end up going around in circles their whole lives.

Tripe- you clearly need to update your knowledge - don't get angry- do the research. Just giving a view.

You say you can cut sugar and grain and still gain weight? I believe this to be near impossible. Are you cutting out all fruit except berries? Are you eating dried fruit? Are you eating too many nuts?

• Advertisement

Why would you end up starving yourself? I'm basically advocating the same thing as you except with a measurable metric added on. If you're goal is to lose weight and you are losing weight that means you're in a deficit regardless if you count or not. You;re just as likely to be starving doing it your way.

I found when cal count I was starving myself- You do not need to be in calorific deficit to lose fat- you need to get macros right and cut sugar and grain.

I've used fitness pal app - every day I was at least 1000 cals above what was recommended - still loss fat. See cereal killers movie.

Advertisement