Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing weight in 5 weeks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Bruno26 wrote: »
    You say you can cut sugar and grain and still gain weight? I believe this to be near impossible.

I give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

People that listen to tripe you're talking are the same ones that end up going around in circles their whole lives.[/quote]

So eating meat, fish, eggs , butter, cream, olive oil, some cheese- all green veg, some starchy veg, some nuts- some fruit- berries, coconut will have people going around in circles all their lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I found when cal count I was starving myself- You do not need to be in calorific deficit to lose fat- you need to get macros right and cut sugar and grain.

I've used fitness pal app - every day I was at least 1000 cals above what was recommended - still loss fat. See cereal killers movie.

You'd miscalculated what was recommended for you, that's all.

A lot of people do.

top madra wrote: »
    I give up!

How many of books listed have you read?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I found when cal count I was starving myself-

Fair enough but I count and I'm not starving myself at all. I'm on a deficit, eating right and losing weight at a measurable and comparable rate to my calorie count per week.
    You do not need to be in calorific deficit to lose fat- you need to get macros right and cut sugar and grain.

Yes you do. You can lose water weight with certain macro combinations but you will not lose fat without being in a deficit. It doesn't make any sense otherwise.
    I've used fitness pal app - every day I was at least 1000 cals above what was recommended - still loss fat.

The formula you used for your TDEE on myfitnesspal was wrong or you counted wrong. Either one occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

So eating meat, fish, eggs , butter, cream, olive oil, some cheese- all green veg, some starchy veg, some nuts- some fruit- berries, coconut will have people going around in circles all their lives?

Yes, if they eat too much or too little according to their desired goals...

I really couldn't be bothered arguing this with you because you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

You keep raving about eating healthy foods (nobody is disagreeing with that) but eating too much 'real food' as you call it WILL make you fat..

Therefore to get a accurate account of what you're eating you HAVE to count cals..(to a degree)

There is no more to argue about here..

top madra wrote: »
    Yes, if they eat too much or too little according to their desired goals...

I really couldn't be bothered arguing this with you because you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

You keep raving about eating healthy foods (nobody is disagreeing with that) but eating too much 'real food' as you call it WILL make you fat..

Therefore to get a accurate account of what you're eating you HAVE to count cals..(to a degree)

There is no more to argue about here..

You are very intolerant of my views- who's arguing? I'm raving ! Don't bother then- are you being forced into responding?

The thing is by eating real foods you can't eat too much. You get to a point where you are satiated- eat when hungry - and you will stop when satisfied. You won't put on weight. You will lose it. Fat is good.
    I suppose you think saturated fat is bad and believe in the cholesterol myth?

The thing is by eating real foods you can't eat too much. You get to a point where you are satiated- eat when hungry - and you will stop when satisfied.

Which is why you won't starve if you monitor your calorie intake.

Which is why you won't starve if you monitor your calorie intake.

The point I made is there is no need to monitor

Yes you do. You can lose water weight with certain macro combinations but you will not lose fat without being in a deficit.

I disagree. You don't - it's the calorie myth- read it and gary taubes books.

It doesn't make any sense otherwise.
    You are right it doesn't make sense

• Advertisement

That's how you found it.

But your experience isn't a blanket rule for everyone.

Your average person wants that wants to lose weight wants to know they're not overeating so they want to monitor their calorie intake initially. Quite quickly, they have a grasp of what they're taking in by knowing what they're having. It really doesn't need to be head-wrecking.

It's less head-wrecking than having to go out and read all the books you've listed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Going against dogma doesn't go down well here.....

A calorie is a calorie.... Energy in equals energy out. Everybody is the same,....,

First law of Thermodynamic etc..(don't bring up the 2nd law and entropy and conversion losses not to do mention variability and incredibly complicate human metabolic system and the role of hormones etc)

Weighing scales for your body and food is the answer... Hit unfollow and safe yourself the angst

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

ford2600 wrote: »

A calorie is a calorie.... Energy in equals energy out. Everybody is the same,....,

Does your body metabolize each and every calorie the exact same way no matter where this calorie comes from????

I find this hard to believe

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Does your body metabolize each and every calorie the exact same way no matter where this calorie comes from????

I find this hard to believe

I may not have been serious....

At 39 I have never have had excess fat(currently 12% body fat). Whether I cycle 400km a week or sit on my ass all week I don't gain weight.

I have never counted calories or weighed food(once I estimated a particular high fat omelette at 2000 calories just for curiosity) yet have never gained weight.

I miraculously know the right exact amount of calories to eat. Had I got it wrong by 10 calories a day since I was 19 say I'd now be 20lbs overweight...

On the laws of thermodynamics they apply to closed systems, we have a couple of gaping holes....

That's how you found it.

But your experience isn't a blanket rule for everyone.

Your average person wants that wants to lose weight wants to know they're not overeating so they want to monitor their calorie intake initially. Quite quickly, they have a grasp of what they're taking in by knowing what they're having. It really doesn't need to be head-wrecking.

It's less head-wrecking than having to go out and read all the books you've listed anyway.

Easy and very enjoyable to get through those books- audible.

Again I was convince by calorie counting- have seen far greater results and far easily achieved and easy to maintain than cal counting.

Just giving my views- obviously some people don't like an alternative opinion!

Easy and very enjoyable to get through those books- audible.

Again I was convince by calorie counting- have seen far greater results and far easily achieved and easy to maintain than cal counting.

Just giving my views- obviously some people don't like an alternative opinion!

I'm not having a go at your views at all.

I just don't think everyone is going to be able to adhere to the same level of LCHF diet.

I don't think you need to be anal about counting calories and macros but I think the majority would benefit by having some concept of what you're taking on board in the context of their goals, particularly someone who wants to make a lifestyle change.

I may not have been serious....

At 39 I have never have had excess fat(currently 12% body fat). Whether I cycle 400km a week or sit on my ass all week I don't gain weight.

I have never counted calories or weighed food(once I estimated a particular high fat omelette at 2000 calories just for curiosity) yet have never gained weight.

I miraculously know the right exact amount of calories to eat. Had I got it wrong by 10 calories a day since I was 19 say I'd now be 20lbs overweight...

Everyone is different. 80% nutrition 20% exercise. I wold go as far as saying 90-10. You can't out exercise diet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Because you unconciously gauge food intake up and down depending on energy expenditure without tracking it. People all over the world do this. And then there's the largely obese people who don't and just over eat. Not very complicated.

2000 calorie omelette? What was in it 2 dozen eggs and a tonne of oil? You never gained weight, never tracked calories and are trying to use the one time you "estimated" the calorie content of one meal to be justification for it not working? OK!

Or it all balances for the days you eat 10 calories less...

People like to think the body is some magical system with processes to burn off these extra calories if they come from good sources and retain them if they come from bad ones. This isn't true. Can the body become more efficient? Sure. But not to the point of eating anything you want once it's a "clean" source.

I will say eating clean makes the whole process much easier though.

I'm not having a go at your views at all.

I just don't think everyone is going to be able to adhere to the same level of LCHF diet.

I don't think you need to be anal about counting calories and macros but I think the majority would benefit by having some concept of what you're taking on board in the context of their goals, particularly someone who wants to make a lifestyle change.

I agree with most of that- I find it easy- I suppose it suits me- I enjoy it- some family and friends think I'm nuts and can't fathom what I do! I see food in 2 ways- 1. real food (generally good) or 2. an edible food like product( processed-bad)

I agree with most of that- I find it easy- I suppose it suits me- I enjoy it- some family and friends think I'm nuts and can't fathom what I do! I see food in 2 ways- 1. real food (generally good) or 2. an edible food like product( processed-bad)

The types of foods you eat most likely have you feeling satisfied in or around your TDEE anyway.

I just think a lot of people who are changing to a better lifestyle need to be a little more conscious of what they're eating, especially in the early stages.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Because you unconciously gauge food intake up and down depending on energy expenditure without tracking it. People all over the world do this. And then there's the largely obese people who don't and just over eat. Not very complicated.

Why do people all over the world, me included, manage to do and yet the west gets more and more obese?

They just over eat? or over eat the wrong foods which messes up a system which has worked remarkably well throughout evolution.

Animals manage it to somehow

2000 calorie omelette? What was in it 2 dozen eggs and a tonne of oil? You never gained weight, never tracked calories and are trying to use the one time you "estimated" the calorie content of one meal to be justification for it not working? OK!

I'm not using it as a justification for anything, I did it out of curiosity, once. From memory, 100g plus of pure fat(butter, cocunut and olive oil), 5 large eggs, a lot of cheese, a lot of meat, enormous amounts of veg,

Or it all balances for the days you eat 10 calories less...

People like to think the body is some magical system with processes to burn off these extra calories if they come from good sources and retain them if they come from bad ones. This isn't true. Can the body become more efficient? Sure. But not to the point of eating anything you want once it's a "clean" source.

I will say eating clean makes the whole process much easier though.

Using thermodynamic laws, not understanding them, and applying them to a very complicated "engine". is the real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Are you eating too many nuts?

You don't need to monitor intake, but you can eat too much of something? I'm confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Jaysus what have I started!

Well you'll all be glad to know that alot of what you are arguing is kind of irrelevant to my particular situation here. Because Bruno26 I am on a mostly Paleo diet and I do eat when I am hungry, but I am also calorie counting though maybe not counting as much as I am logging it but I actually havent gone over my allocated calories yet in the three days i've been trying this.

I think a mixture of calorie counting, eating healthy and a good exercise regime will get me the results I am looking for. I have found myfitnesspal to be pretty good to keep a track of how I'm doing thus far though. I suppose I really wont know until i see the results at the end of the week.

AltAccount wrote: »
    You don't need to monitor intake, but you can eat too much of something? I'm confused...

Eat the right nuts- macadamia - stop when you satisfied/ satiated

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I calorie count because I like to eat new meals a lot of the time because I get bored. If your the kind of person that eats the same things for lunch / dinner most days then you only have to count calories for a fortnight until you know how much your average intake is. But I think this only works for people who have been training a long time and already know how their body reacts.

If you are not counting calories you are seriously hampering your training IMO. Its as bad as not progressively overloading in the gym or not following a balanced program.

Did you add weight at the last session? "nah i just lifted until I felt I had lifted enough" This is essentially what you are doing with your diet..

Jaysus what have I started!

Well you'll all be glad to know that alot of what you are arguing is kind of irrelevant to my particular situation here. Because Bruno26 I am on a mostly Paleo diet and I do eat when I am hungry, but I am also calorie counting though maybe not counting as much as I am logging it but I actually havent gone over my allocated calories yet in the three days i've been trying this.

I think a mixture of calorie counting, eating healthy and a good exercise regime will get me the results I am looking for. I have found myfitnesspal to be pretty good to keep a track of how I'm doing thus far though. I suppose I really wont know until i see the results at the end of the week.

I was also paleo for a while- found it a bit restictive- then reintroduced some dairy ( butter, cream & cheese). Reading Tim Noakes (Banting) has convinced me of the importance of good (saturated fats)

conzy wrote: »
    I calorie count because I like to eat new meals a lot of the time because I get bored. If your the kind of person that eats the same things for lunch / dinner most days then you only have to count calories for a fortnight until you know how much your average intake is. But I think this only works for people who have been training a long time and already know how their body reacts.

If you are not counting calories you are seriously hampering your training IMO. Its as bad as not progressively overloading in the gym or not following a balanced program.

Did you add weight at the last session? "nah i just lifted until I felt I had lifted enough" This is essentially what you are doing with your diet..

Two completely different things that makes no sense to compare.

I regularly eat different meals but don't see why that would make someone count- if you are using the correct foods no need to count.

I'm talking about the average person who wants to do something that is sustainable for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Two completely different things that makes no sense to compare.

I regularly eat different meals but don't see why that would make someone count- if you are using the correct foods no need to count.

I'm talking about the average person who wants to do something that is sustainable for life.

If you are using the correct petrol in your car , why ever look at the fuel gauge.

papu wrote: »
    If you are using the correct petrol in your car , why ever look at the fuel gauge.

Comparing food intake to petrol consumption - that makes sense!

• Advertisement

Calorie counting, processed food, increase in sugar and grain consumption all happened in the 20th century. Are we getting healthier and leaner?

Advertisement