Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing weight in 5 weeks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

On a side note since switching diets I've actually only averaged about 1400 calories a day and have not been even close to hungry on any day. I've dropped 3 lbs this week, probably mostly water weight but I have to say I feel healthier and dont crave anything at the moment.

You're doing it wrong, should eat 4000 kcals / day and you'll lose even more weight!

... or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

This is all getting a little pedantic now.

The average calorie intake for an adult male that is moderately active is 2600-2800 calories. so lets say you overeat by 200calories in order to get fat you would have to eat more than 8kg of brocolli. Now does anyone here really think that its possible to eat 8kg of brocolli a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

What?

It was a question on your previous statement I quoted in my post, can you not answer it?

I'd imagine its physically impossible- maybe it is- I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

So B, you're on this diet for 3 months? Come back when you've maintained the diet and weight for 5 years.

If I eat 10,000 worth of calories from fat sources daily and zero from carb sources, will I get fat?

No .. because you'll probably die! :-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Now does anyone here really think that its possible to eat 8kg of brocolli a day?

I'd give it a bloody good try.

I'd need a room with some heavy-duty ventilation, mind.

I'd give it a bloody good try.

I'd need a room with some heavy-duty ventilation, mind.

Instead of man v food we have Alf Veedersane vs Brocolli! I think people would pay to see that. :D

rocky wrote: »
    So B, you're on this diet for 3 months? Come back when you've maintained the diet and weight for 5 years.

Its not a diet- hate that word. Its just eating real food that humans are designed to eat.

I calculated what I ate yesterday for the sake of this thread- probably closer to 3,500 cals. I was hitting 4000 previously. I feel I now eat a little less as I rarely feel hungry. However still eat over what is recommended calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Get your head around this theory- eating those foods makes you satiated- therefore you dont stuff yourself as you stop when satisfied. It works- try it.

This is practically what I said and you replied with the following;
    Weight will be lost due to elimination of sugar & grains and therefore most carbs also. Eat over daily calorie amount and you will still lose fat

I've always been thinking it but now it's pretty obvious you're a troll.

desultory wrote: »
    This is practically what I said and you replied with the following;

I've always been thinking it but now it's pretty obvious you're a troll.

Again go read the books, google their names. Why would I be bothered to troll.

So basically offer an alternative view and you are a troll.

To sum up eat real unprocessed food- forget about calories.You will feel healthier and better before.

Everything in moderation is bs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Now don't jump on me and attack me as it seems you all here like having a go at each other. :)

Genuine question (from someone with scant knowledge in this area).

Is the elephant in the room here ketosis? In other words, using Bruno's way of eating will cause one to be in ketosis for an extended period of time?

Won't this inevitably lead to weight loss?

Again go read the books, google their names. Why would I be bothered to troll.

So basically offer an alternative view and you are a troll.

To sum up eat real unprocessed food- forget about calories.You will feel healthier and better before.

Everything in moderation is bs.

You're not just offering alternative views. You're changing your view as the thread goes along to suit the argument.

I don't know how reading a book is going to change the very nature of calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Its not a diet- hate that word. Its just eating real food that humans are designed to eat.

I calculated what I ate yesterday for the sake of this thread- probably closer to 3,500 cals. I was hitting 4000 previously. I feel I now eat a little less as I rarely feel hungry. However still eat over what is recommended calories.

Factual definition of a diet :

"the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats."

Please tell me how it's not a diet now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Now don't jump on me and attack me as it seems you all here like having a go at each other. :)

Genuine question (from someone with scant knowledge in this area).

Is the elephant in the room here ketosis? In other words, using Bruno's way of eating will cause one to be in ketosis for an extended period of time?

Won't this inevitably lead to weight loss?

Not quite ketosis. Ketosis is practically zero carb. Paleo and even LCHF diets aren't low carb enough to be keto.

Ketosis doesn't inevitably lead to fat loss. It leads to fat loss when you eat less calories. Which a lot of people do due to satiety. But it is important to note they are losing weight because of satiety and less calories consumed. NOT because a high fat diet is some kind of magic pill where you can eat as much as you want.

Lets try not add semantics on to this argument we know he means it's not a diet in the sense of a short to medium term solution.

I can also quote definitions

a special course of food to which a person restricts themselves, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.

restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight.

Impossible to do the above all the time. If one views their nutrition this way its punishment.

a special course of food to which a person restricts themselves, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.

restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight.

Impossible to do the above all the time. If one views their nutrition this way its punishment.

Wait WHAT!? This is exactly what you're advocating when you're saying cut out grains and sugar!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Not quite ketosis. Ketosis is practically zero carb. Paleo and even LCHF diets aren't low carb enough to be keto.

Ketosis doesn't inevitably lead to fat loss. It leads to fat loss when you eat less calories. Which a lot of people do due to satiety. But it is important to note they are losing weight because of satiety and less calories consumed. NOT because a high fat diet is some kind of magic pill where you can eat as much as you want.

Ketosis is really interesting. I believe going back a couple of thousand years. Many people depending on season would have lived on ketosis. Check out the charley foundation.

I believe a exhibition has started in Dublin Science Gallery called Fat that carries out free tests on people. I think I should go.

Wait WHAT!? This is exactly what you're advocating when you're saying cut out grains and sugar!

I don't look at grains that way. I see grains as a food we are not designed to eat. I believe we are better served by eating more nutrient dense foods like meat, fish, eggs etc. over grains.

I don't feel I am resticting myself at all. Example - I'd far prefer eat bacon and eggs for breakfast than cereal and toast.

You don't need carbs to function but you do need fat and protein- see ketosis.

I don't look at grains that way. I see grains as a food we are not designed to eat. I believe we are better served by eating more nutrient dense foods like meat, fish, eggs etc. over grains.

I don't feel I am resticting myself at all. Example - I'd far prefer eat bacon and eggs for breakfast than cereal and toast.

You might see it that way but a lot of people would define what you do as leaving out large food groups which is exactly what you describe as unsustainable.

• Advertisement

You might see it that way but a lot of people would define what you do as leaving out large food groups which is exactly what you describe as unsustainable.

Exactly I'm just stating my personal attitude to food. Of course most people see it differently. Some friends and family think I'm crazy and can't get their head around it.

For me cal counting was very restrictive. This way is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You'll be able to function fine on zero carbs for the rest of your life? that's absolutely insane and dangerous to be advising it to other people.

Why would you use that sentence and then reference "Ketosis"?

Do you understand what Ketosis is doing fundamentally? It's responding to you restricting carbs into your body thus depleting your glycogen levels and in an attempt to preserve whatever glycogen levels are left.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As with another active thread right now, this one is going around in ever decreasing circles of argument. Please start a new thread if you MUST debate along off topic lines. Im not going to split out whats been posted here, just going to apologise to the op for such a derailment of a thread seeking advice.

Just to come back to the OP, have you revised your broad plan at all and, if so, what have you changed?

Just to come back to the OP, have you revised your broad plan at all and, if so, what have you changed?

I'm going to try to eat 8kg of brocolli a day for a week and see if i put on any weight.

then I am going to eat 10,000 calories were of fats a day and see if I dont gain weight.

I'm going to make it into a documentary in the "Supersize me" mold! I think it may make me a millionaire! :D:D:D

On a serious note though I have actually found out a sh*t tonne about food and peoples perceptions of it. Its led me to read up on Paleo more and to have a look at Ketosis, grains and sugars.

My whole concept behind this was to lose a few pounds and get healthier and fitter. In the few days I have been tracking calories I have rarely gone over 1400 calories and have not been hungry at all. I'm on a non strict Paleo diet but have the odd treat for example I had a Croissant this morning.

Overall I have been happy enough with how things are going and I am way more informed than I was. So no need for the apologies Mod I have learned alot!

So, no plans to push it to lose the weight in 5 weeks?

By the time you eat the 8kg of broccolli, it'll be so passé. I'll already have turned into a giant floret.

So, no plans to push it to lose the weight in 5 weeks?

By the time you eat the 8kg of broccolli, it'll be so passé. I'll already have turned into a giant floret.

Having looked at everything and alot of the advice given here I dont think
    3lbs a week is a healthy goal so I'm going to try to do 1.5-2lbs a week. With that said when I weighed myself yesterday after a workout I was already down 3lbs but that could have been water weight.

Starting Weight: 14st 3lbs or 90.2Kgs on 19/05/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Is this guy talking rubbish? Cause he sure makes sense to me......

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Is this guy talking rubbish? Cause he sure makes sense to me......

He knows his stuff- his podcast is great

• Advertisement

Turned off the video when he compared losing weight to unclogging a sink. Makes zero sense.

Looks good on video though!

Advertisement