Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 7 "Mockingbird": *HAVE* read the books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

The look on Lysa's face just before he shoved her!!! Love it.

I presume they changed it to "your sister" as she hasn't been referred to "Cat" much in the show, only Catelyn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Blay wrote: »
    Brienne won't be going to the Quiet Isle anyway given that she's already north of it.

In the books there is still some doubt that it's Sandor in the graveyard but in the show it would be obvious. Could go either way really atm, Arya could finish him or leave him and just have him show up later with no gravedigger hints etc.
    Then what does the show do if he's brought back to kill Robert Strong in subsequent books? That's why deviations from the books should be avoided if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Then what does the show do if he's brought back to kill Robert Strong in subsequent books? That's why deviations from the books should be avoided if at all possible.

The show runners know what is in store for the rest of the books, if Arya puts Needle through his heart then Sandor obviously won't be showing up later for the trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I can't see them killing the Hound, that would be a large departure from the books.

They shouldn't have killed Biter and Rorge either, now who's going to attack Brienne?

Just in general it's the little things pointless things they change from the book that's so annoying, Peter's last words to Lysa Arryn "only Cat" before he throws her out of the moon door is one of my favourite quotes from the series, changing it to "your sister" takes the bite off I think.

I'm gonna be really pissed off if they kill the Hound, but they are leading towards it. The way Arya cleaned out his wound, she would be more likely to give him the gift of mercy the way things stand now. And the illustration of where the heart is, how to kill quickly.

I forgot about Biter and Rorge attacking Brienne, so there must be some alternate story there. Do they need to have some attack on her? I can't recall the details.

Agree re "only Cat".

I thought the colours were beautiful in the Eyrie scenes. They seem to be stripping out fools and singers. No Marillion.

People often mention Littlefingers accent, I really don't notice it at all! I did notice Jaime sounding a bit more Danish this week though.

I forgot about Biter and Rorge attacking Brienne, so there must be some alternate story there. Do they need to have some attack on her? I can't recall the details.

I thought the colours were beautiful in the Eyrie scenes. They seem to be stripping out fools and singers. No Marillion.

Brienne being attacked is how the BwB capture her, she's a bit under the weather after it.

Marillion had his tongue pulled out by Ilyn Payne in Season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Brienne being attacked is how the BwB capture her, she's a bit under the weather after it.

Marillion had his tongue pulled out by Ilyn Payne in Season 1.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten both of those things!

One thing I don't like is how the Eyrie always looks so cramped this season, there's a claustrophobic feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Oh yes, I'd forgotten both of those things!

One thing I don't like is how the Eyrie always looks so cramped this season, there's a claustrophobic feel to it.
    I do like that, from the descriptions in the book the Eyrie is quite a small, cold, isolated, lonely place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Brilliant episode, although I am finding Arya's scene a but cringey atm... This season is definitely the best so far imo, closely followed by season 1. (I think I said it was the weakest a few weeks ago but after reading AGOT again I appreciate it so much more.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

The Eyrie was done well. Sansa building Winterfell in the snow is such an nice image. Yes it was probably rushed but it's always a case with TV versus the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Another great episode.
    Not sure what my favourite scene was, either Arya stabbing that guy in the heart, or Lysa going out the moon door.
    I know at this stage in the book I was really starting to like Littlefinger, The Hound and Oberyn. At least Littlefinger doesn't die!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

I took the scene where the Hound gives the wounded man the gift of mercy as a strong indication Arya will be doing the same for him later on. Especially as he was almost showing her how it's done. Plus there was another mention from the Hound of Arya's list of names. I would wager the Hound saying something along the lines of "now you've another name you can mark of your list" just before Arya stabs him in the heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Aw man, I think that scene between Oberyn and Tyrion was one of my favourites in the whole series. Beautiful and it makes me so sad that the character is gone barring some significant deviation from the book.

It should make for quite the showdown next week. The Mountain does look babyfaced but other than that I thought they absolutely nailed getting across this guy is a ****ing monster. Thought his only line was done well too, a very chilling moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bopper wrote: »
    I took the scene where the Hound gives the wounded man the gift of mercy as a strong indication Arya will be doing the same for him later on. Especially as he was almost showing her how it's done. Plus there was another mention from the Hound of Arya's list of names. I would wager the Hound saying something along the lines of "now you've another name you can mark of your list" just before Arya stabs him in the heart.

I think it's the opposite. She knows how to do it but will still walk off. A lot of swerves are in there to basically troll book readers. Can't think of more other than Joffrey coughing and the camera lingering on him during the wedding, a long time before he was actually poisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I loved the Tyrion and Oberyn scene.

As for Arya and the Hound: I think they're focusing on that he showed her how to quickly put someone out of their misery only for her to deny him the same.

edit: What Liam O said :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

As I said earlier I loved the inclusion of Hot Pie, how them knowing Arya's alive plays out I don't know though. Also Pod telling her not to mention Sansa by name was spot on advice which she laughed off was a bit odd. I'd imagine we'll see the harsher side of this before the season's out. I started re-reading AFFC the other day and Brienne was specifically keeping her cards to her chest. The inclusion of Hot Pie makes it ok though.

I had hoped that Sansa building Winterfell would be the opening of episode 10 but oh well. It was ok but I have this scene placed on a pedestal in my head so was probably never going to live up to it fully, I'd have liked the scene to be longer though. I laughed again at Littlefinger's accent but it leveled out after a while. Why they changed it to "Your Sister" annoyed me as it was totally pointless and seemed like it was done to annoy the readers. It was a great end to the episode all the same

Peter Dinklage has lead sewn up for all the awards and Pedro Pascal surely has at least a nomination for support. Charles Dance may yet have a say in that though :P 3 great scenes.

The Mel scene was odd. Was there ever any suggestion that Shireen would be used as a sacrifice? It didn't sit well with me. Stannis would never allow it anyway. If it wasn't for Davos he really wouldn't presented in a good light at all, hopefully arriving at the wall changes that.

Dany like for others was a bit meh. If we need a quota of nudity then Emilia Clarke should be obliging (tongue in cheek relax)

You wouldn't know the Wall was preparing for the mother of all battles either. I guess episode 9 will have enough attention on it though.

Arya's first scene was a bit odd. I don't buy that the Hound would let his guard down and get attacked/bitten. However the 2nd was very good, I hope the Hound doesn't get Mercy killing the Quiet Isle theory but for TV purposes I can understand it. I'll not be happy about it though.

It was a very good episode though, not quite at last week's level but the next 3 will be the 3 best one would hope. Waiting 2 weeks won't be fun though.

Edit: Oh and the Mountain scene confused me too. Why was Gregor killing those men with Cersei watching? Who were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I loved the Bronn scene, felt so sorry for Tyrion, but they were great.

As I said earlier I loved the inclusion of Hot Pie, how them knowing Arya's alive plays out I don't know though.

Makes no difference, in the books the brother at the Quiet Isle told them that the Hound had been travelling with Arya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Edit: Oh and the Mountain scene confused me too. Why was Gregor killing those men with Cersei watching? Who were they?

They looked like prisoners, I just presumed he was executing them.

The best option for those prisoners was to pick up the flail that was on the ground and bury it in the side of one of the Gold Cloaks' head and run:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Just saw it, excellent episode again.
    I really start to like Brienne too, or the actor who plays her, shes sooo good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

How amazing was that 'Thank you' from Arya :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Will it be the last we see of Bronn?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The best option for those prisoners was to pick up the flail that was on the ground and bury it in the side of one of the Gold Cloaks' head and run:pac:

I don't think they were in much of a state to run. :pac:

I don't think they were in much of a state to run. :pac:

**** it sure take a swing anyway..they're going to die either way:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Great episode. Really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Some people just love ruining it for the non book readers. That thread is a minefield.

This was a great episode. I actually quite liked the small deviations from the book - especially the Pod and Breinne changes. I suppose it accelerates her meeting with LS - no need to pad out her search and include the Quiet Isle or her travelling party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Dinklage did great last week with a lot of heavy dialogue. He did even better this week with none - his reactions to Oberyn's story were superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

bopper wrote: »

I think that might be a bit of misdirection. It's entirely possible that the Hound will do something to piss Arya off again and she'll leave him. Or she mightn't have the bottle.

If they do go for her mercy killing him though it could be one of the most poignant moments in the entire series and I wouldn't necessarily write it off just because it doesn't fit with the books - after all, it's possible that the grave digger isn't Sandor or if he is, it's perfectly reasonable that he won't appear in the series again and it's left intentionally vague.

Littlefinger kissing Sansa was hella creepy. I know the actress is 18 or whatever now but her character isn't and while Gillen's accent is bollocks the physical acting he does - body language, expression and so on - nails it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I don't think the your sister bit was to intentionally annoy readers. Probably closer to what another poster said. "only Cat" would make sense to us, but it might have left some people confused. I would have preferred it though. Would have had a better flow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

jebidiah wrote: »
    I don't think the your sister bit was to intentionally annoy readers. Probably closer to what another poster said. "only Cat" would make sense to us, but it might have left some people confused. I would have preferred it though. Would have had a better flow!

I think that's really selling show-watchers short.

Lysa constantly went on about her since they got there and Cat was called "Cat" many times.

If they delivered the line clearly I don't think people would've been left with the impression that Petyr is a crazy cat person and that's why he pushed Lysa out the door.

Advertisement