Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite: Dangerous

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Mining is where it's at, made 149m from 90T of void opals earlier in an hour and a half! And, it's actually kinda fun :o

Also...

468729.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

My Asp just did its best impression of that above pic,6g planet i was landing on but i didnt notice till it was too late,bout 3km up i relised but at that stage couldnt arrest the decent,splat is the technical term i think:P

Id travelled down pretty far under the galactic plane directly below shinrarta. Made it about 1600ly using FSD boosts for the last 100ly or so,pretty bummed the data is gone,two already scanned earth likes i scanned would have been nice,but my trip got me totally familiar with the new exploration mechanics which is why i went anyway.

In all honesty its just presenting the same stuff to find but in a somewhat more focuesd fashion. The stand out for me is mapping the landables,ive found and visited loads of persistent POI's now. Mostly geological but still,its nice to have that feature.

Seen as ive been plonked back in jameson i reckon ill give mining a go. Have a brand new python made specifically for the job.

Are the void opals in pristine ice rings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Yep, go to LTT 4428, just beside Shinrarta. Planet DE2. Fire the DSS at the rings and you'll find the void opal hotspot. Been making savage money so far! I've been selling at Quator Station in Quator for 1.6m a pop

Happy Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gonna have to start this for the Fleet Carrier :D

PS4 version is bordering on unplayable atm. The last patch has led to numerous freezes and blue screens/hard locks when entering instances. Also kicks for no connection to matchmaking servers.

Pity cause i want to play it but i think ill wait till the next patch.

• Advertisement

PC having that pause too, which is great fun in a fight.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Think Im done with the game. refit the cobra to try mining per a guide I found . Cant get the hang of the refinery and limpets .Managed to eject most of the minerals i was refining by clicking on them .couldnt get the collectors to actually collect anything half the time . Any low temp diamonds I found couldnt be abraded off and using missiles destroyed them seemingly . and managed to lose my ship twice in an hour. Eventually sacrificed most of my cargo space to put shields back in. But then run out of limpets within a minute. Read some forums which all say cobraz shouldnt really be used for mining and to use a T6 ..which I now cant afford.At this point Im broke and have no money to refit back for trading, , no insurance money ,so game over basically just going to quit for a while I think.

your using a cobra for mining? Wtf :confused:

I can help you with the money situation if you want but as above the lads I have gotten 300m in less than 10 days are still playing and off mat hunting now and have gotten more of their group playing. They dont need me anymore. :D

So I am thinking this boost is worth it if someone actually likes the game.

But I have seen this boost go south with others not playing the game anymore.\

On PC btw.

dreamers75 wrote: »

I can help you with the money situation if you want but as above the lads I have gotten 300m in less than 10 days are still playing and off mat hunting now and have gotten more of their group playing. They dont need me anymore. :D

On PC btw.
    yeah , the bit about not using the cobra and buying a hauler first is the bit of advice I missed.;)
    ah cheers . tbh I'm going to give it a try again on my own first. sell the mods I have , buy downgraded weapons and do a few explorer runs to make enough to get a t6 and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Dr Bob wrote: »

On PC btw.
    yeah , the bit about not using the cobra and buying a hauler first is the bit of advice I missed.;)
    ah cheers . tbh I'm going to give it a try again on my own first. sell the mods I have , buy downgraded weapons and do a few explorer runs to make enough to get a t6 and try again.

The way I started off was in a high res mining site with my Sidewinder and just tag wanted ships and let the security forces kill them for you. This is not without risk as well as I ended up hitting a few non wanted ships and getting blasted myself.

Listen this rage quitting still happens to me even after 3+ years. It can be incredibly frustrating to do what you think are the simplest things. Keep with it it's a game I drop for a few months but then always come back to.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

For mining if you drop into an area and fly 20km from where you came in, you wont have to deal with a single ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    The way I started off was in a high res mining site with my Sidewinder and just tag wanted ships and let the security forces kill them for you. This is not without risk as well as I ended up hitting a few non wanted ships and getting blasted myself.

Listen this rage quitting still happens to me even after 3+ years. It can be incredibly frustrating to do what you think are the simplest things. Keep with it it's a game I drop for a few months but then always come back to.

I haven't played in months but keep an eye on things with a view to getting back into it at some point.

Last I left it I had 1.2 billion, a fairly-well but not fully engineered Conda and Corvette as my main ships (the former as a bus really, the latter for shooting), but the grind needed to complete the engineering and the "what next" problem put me off. There was 3 of us playing in a wing at one point, but flipping minor systems to our faction only has so much appeal. One of the guys still does it, the other has quit as well.

Haven't gone near Thargoids and I do like my big cruisers. Pity the range on the Vette is so crap though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Pretty much in the same boat. I get an itch to go back in, but when I do, I just grind out some more shillings, enjoy the atmosphere for a while and then get bored.

No interest in engineers at all.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Haven't gone near Thargoids and I do like my big cruisers. Pity the range on the Vette is so crap though!

It can do 30LY now with the gaurdian boost and fully outfitted for Combat.

It can do 30LY now with the gaurdian boost and fully outfitted for Combat.

What's involved to get it to that point? I watch ObsidianAnt's weekly updates so I'm vaguely aware of the concepts but nothing more than that :)

What's involved to get it to that point? I watch ObsidianAnt's weekly updates so I'm vaguely aware of the concepts but nothing more than that :)

Umm its Elite so.....

You have to go to the gaurdian ruins, turn on a machine with your SRV and scan something to get a blueprint, then murder the gaurdian drones, harvest their materials (rinse and repeat a few times to get as much mats/blueprints). Go to a tech broker unlock the FSD boost, find it in a shop and add it.

The gaurdian weapons are pertty much the same but on a different planet.

Both planets are roughly 900ly from Sol.

So just that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

One thing to note before heading to sites for the Guardian FSD is to take a small ship with point defence systems installed. Finding a landing spot can be a right pain and took me ages in an Asp but having your ship close to the site can be a huge help as the point defence system can shoot down the missiles the drones like to spam at you :)

49771593_2129439880428787_310529343841370112_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=9c78da2091bdc3080e71183f0f9e5d44&oe=5CC68639

Im going to hell or space equivalent :D

These are the new players I was helping, all 6 (they have doubled in size) all heading to Hutton right now for their free Anaconda.

The exact guide to the FSD.

I used a conda and parked it right at the front entrance to the site.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/8uxkma/simple_guardian_guide_weapons_and_blueprints/

so ...gradually getting the hang of the whole mining thing , have a T6 which I've been using for mining
    details here https://inara.cz/cmdr/151437/
    but just have abrasion blaster/disp missiles , rather than seismics , and have been chasing Low Temp Diamonds (as they're about .5 mill a pop), but its pretty slow work , there's a low temp hotspot near baris that I've been going to , but its not great..
    ..is there any better way of mining without going after the void opals ,at least until can afford a ship with enough hardpoints to cover all the bases ,or are void opals the only way of making cash?

• Advertisement

Get your stuff for the engineers and dont pay any attention to the money end of it, you will be rich and unlock engineers before you know it.

I think bromettie and another item is needed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Unlocking the engineers is actually a good way to get used to the game imo as the requirements for all the different ones basically force you try a bit of everything.

cheers.
    jacked in the mining as I'm not ready for it yet..a t6 cant crack asteroids , and I spent a lot of my time sifting throigh low level minerals in hotspots and wasting prospectors or hitting surface minerals directly with an abrasion blaster and still not freeing them!.
    gone back to being a space delivery boy ( all the benifits of trading but not having to source or pay for goods!) which I love and might try again in a while when I can afford a good ship with medium hardpoints

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Distant Worlds 2 kicked off in EU last night, and I got exactly one jump from Pallaeni to HR 5413 before the servers crapped out.

Anyway, I'll be dropping a few hundred ly from the travel plane to try and grab some unexplored systems. Can wing up if anyone is interested (CMDR Serial Thrilla, playing on Fleetcomm PG), have a honk 'n' go rate of 2500ly/hr so will likely be taking the scenic route.

Shocked they havent patched the game again before DW2,unplayable for me on PS4. Time outs and freezes.

Starting to get a bit impatient waiting for 3.3.0.2

Saw that a little while ago. I can't imagine there'll be a lot of players left at that stage except the hard-core types.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't give a toss about "space legs"?

Space legs for the sake of space legs,like the X series,is not worth their time imo. It would have to be properly integrated into the game and not just some sort of add on imo. Tbh im not sure they could pull it off so maybe best left alone.

And elite has been about the ships for me,flying them,i view them like classes,i feel by picking a certain ship im taking on a role. So the attachment is to the ships not the holo me character. Hard to see how they could make it worthwhile.

18 months of small updates is a risky strategy,even given the recent influx of players. I can only imagine that they feel they have something really big in the pipeline. Weather that will eventually meet playerbase expectations....who knows.

If i was to speculate id hope for something like an engine update to give them more flexibilty to add content/address bugs. Short term loss for a long term gain. Thats the optimist in me though:P

Saw that a little while ago. I can't imagine there'll be a lot of players left at that stage except the hard-core types.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't give a toss about "space legs"?

No interest in space legs.

That post is all words with no substance, i expect a trailer that blows us all away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

This is a game I've always wanted to be sucked into, but it was always a mile wide and an inch deep (cliche, I know).

Is it worth getting into for single player alone? How's the grind these days?

Advertisement