Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite: Dangerous

Options
1125126127128129131»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It may be a **** grey ball of rock with no redeeming features, but it's the first planet I've "first discovered" in my Elite career. Onwards and upwards.

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nice! Earth likes are where the money is at. When I did the trek to Sag-A* I think I went maybe 2 or 300 LY above or below the main "plain" if that makes sense, passed through's loads of undiscovered systems and bagged a decent amount of Earth Like first discoveries too.

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye out for them alright.

I went a good ways to the galactic west before pointing my nose at Colonia so I'm hoping it brings me on a less trodden path as I make my way there.

And so after ~350 jumps, including my initial "get far enough away so your route is unique", I made it to Colonia.

Zero ELWs on the way, alas.

I stopped occasionally to scan planets, FSS'd a few full systems along th eway, etc.

Overall, I managed to net ~60,000,000 creds for the trip. Obviously nowhere near the profit for mining or wing missions, or even Robigo, but still. Another bucket list item checked, now to see how the engineers out here do.

I'm half way from Colonia to Sag A*.

And after ~450 jumps and no ELWs, like buses, two come along at once. Two in consecutive systems. Now watch me die before getting these babies back to a station.

• Advertisement

Hit Sag A*, took some nice screenshots then headed off to the Great Annihilator, man warping in that system scared the **** out of me.

Waiting on a FC lift back to the bubble, I don't have the heart for the ~480 or so jumps back manually, and I don't have the balls to learn the FSB boosting tricks (yet). Still, it was a worthwhile journey. Saw the sights, got some great screenshots, first footfalled a good few planets, plenty of systems and got 100 mil in credits, or thereabouts.

Really enjoyed that little diversion but I think I'll spend some time in the bubble learning the ins and outs of powerplay, and unlocking a few engineers back that way. Maybe outfit my Corvette properly for PvE combat. Do some mining, haven't done that in years.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I found unlocking all the engineers a good taster for all the different things you can do in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Wonder will the layoffs at Frontier affect the game.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

A few shots from the last while of playing. Did a few Booze Cruises, engineer visits, took another trip into the black, previous trip to Sag A*, etc.

Rackham's Peak, on one side the whole galaxy. On the other, nothingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Anyone playing this on steam deck? Does it play ok ?

• Advertisement

Finally reached the end of my outward journey to Beagle Point. It's taken three months (not constant play) in real life, but I can finally turn around and start the return leg. A short visual representation of the journey, thanks to the folks over at the Elite Dangerous Astrometrics. It also includes my previous trip to Colonia, Sag A*, the Great Annihilator and a skip where I took a lift on a passing Fleet Carrier back to the Bubble, before heading out again around the eastern edge of the galaxy. Really satisfying to have done it, I will admit to being more intimidated about the trip back. Might take a break before getting stuck back in - although there's an event on in the Bubble that I want to get back for, so perhaps not.

Anyway, screenshots. Some of the (very profitable) local flora along the way:

I really like this last one, between the sunset, the lander lights, the starfield above, the ship in the background, it was a really nice lonely moment. Kinda reminded me a little, for some reason, of Anne Hathaway's character at the end of Interstellar. Just way out in the middle of nowhere on your own.

Some random ship / star shots:

I found a system with two pairs of paired suns (and another waay of away) which I thought "That's just silly" but who knows. Apparently they do exist! No planets unfortunately, or it might have made for some great shots.

A distant black hole distorting the view of the distant galactic plane.

A rather pretty looking gas giant I found later in the trip.

Finally though, I reached the carrier commemorating the first Distant Worlds voyage back in the day. A fitting half way point to my trip.

And now I power back up for the long trip home. Hoping to find some worthy sights along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

@Dave_The_Sheep I really enjoyed reading about your trip, thank you for sharing.

And that's why we do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Stopped playing this game before the engineers were added. Had around 20 upgraded ships, and a lot of cash (ill gotten gains of smuggling slaves from Robigo).

Is it worth picking up now?

Engineering your ship is a lot easier now than it used to be. Far less grindy. Though still a degree of it to be fair. If you never did engineers, that won't really mean anything though. Not sure if Fleet Carriers were a thing when you played before.

It's still the same sandbox game, so it's really what you make of it as before. Nothing has changed about the core of the game, just there's a few layers on top (exobiology, AX combat, etc).

There's a bit of a focus story wise on the Thargoids at the moment, they've added some Thargoid Titans (think super capital ships) which there's some AX events going on around. If you enjoyed the combat side of things you may get a kick out of it.

Oh and there's four 'new' (read as: variants) ships coming out this year (or soon anyway, on the Frontier scale of things).

Personally, I really like it as you may have guessed. YMMV though obviously.

Alright. I'm back at Colonia, going to hitch a ride the rest of the way. I have no idea what I'm going to do now.

Advertisement