Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragic yet worrying scenes in waterford last night

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Did you decide that somehow describing him as a "student" (of what?drinking cans and smoking weed?) Somehow puts him in a better light? If he is as you seem to feel yet another blameless innocent victim of the brutal corrupt gardai, then why would you feel the need to "spin" his image in this way?
    Well we know for a fact he was a student. Calling him a terrorist, criminal or scumbag based on wishful thinking is conjecture at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

In fairness, even if I was completely innocent I'd considering running from the Dungarvan police after another young man died in police custody less than a year ago.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/watchdog-probes-death-in-garda-cell-29461538.html

Have you proof that something illegal was done to cause his death?

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Did you decide that somehow describing him as a "student" (of what?drinking cans and smoking weed?) Somehow puts him in a better light? If he is as you seem to feel yet another blameless innocent victim of the brutal corrupt gardai, then why would you feel the need to "spin" his image in this way?
    The fact that you think calling a student a "student" is somehow spin says more about you than it does anything else.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Well we know for a fact he was a student. Calling him a terrorist, criminal or scumbag based on wishful thinking is conjecture at this stage.

"There is no one so blind as those who do not wish to see"

Shady Tady wrote: »
    "There is no one so blind as those who do not wish to see"
    Random proverb... Is this thought for the day or what?

• Advertisement

Random proverb... Is this thought for the day or what?

Relevant proverb mainly aimed at fools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Can you explain how facts can be "known" if they are unproven?

Because not everything can be proven beyond reasonable doubt. Doesn't make it untrue. I'm satisfied on the balance of probabilities that the overwhelming anecdotal and reported evidence is representative of the facts.
    So guilty until proven innocent then. I hope you aren't a policeman with a mentality like that.

Innocent until proven guilty is a criminal law concept. We are not in a criminal court. People can indeed be guilty of a crime even if they are not proven to be so in a court of law. Or do you think nobody who committed a crime ever got off?
    ... and your reason you stating as fact that anyone was with him when he fell???

I didn't. I said they left him behind. Most likely before he fell. If they hadn't they could have helped him.
    So you are neutral except you'd like to see more charges even though you really have no idea at all what really happened...
    Reeeight.

I'm not neutral. I dislike scumbags. I'm satisfied I know enough to justify my opinion.
    In fairness, even if I was completely innocent I'd considering running from the Dungarvan police after another young man died in police custody less than a year ago.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/watchdog-probes-death-in-garda-cell-29461538.html

You should let his family know it was suspicious. They're getting involved in suicide prevention events.

"Jessie Kirby and her brother Edgar (playing the role of Donnie) and sister, Rebecca (assistant director), who have had two cousins take their own lives in the last year, one just this morning (at time of writing) in the local gardai station. His name was Nathan Kirby, and he was 21 years old."

http://eile.ie/2013/08/01/youth-suicide-irelands-silent-serial-killer/

Ah, I see. So on balance of probability from anecdotal and hearsay evidence you have come to the steadfast conclusion that everybody was guilty of whatever.
    Why wait for the court case.

Ah, I see. So on balance of probability from anecdotal and hearsay evidence you have come to the steadfast conclusion that everybody was guilty of whatever.
    Why wait for the court case.

For criminal charges to be brought of course. I would think that would be obvious. Do you only believe things that are found to be true in court? That must be an awfully uncertain life you lead. Yet somehow you believe anything which suits that chip on your shoulder no matter where you read it. Odd that.

For criminal charges to be brought of course. I would think that would be obvious. Do you only believe things that are found to be true in court? That must be an awfully uncertain life you lead. Yet somehow you believe anything which suits that chip on your shoulder no matter where you read it. Odd that.
    Ah yes, that chip on the shoulder (or was it a conspiracy?) that anyone who dares to question AGS about anything must have. So, why do YOU have a chip on your shoulder about the judiciary and anyone with the cheek to contradict you? Lose da hattitude!
    And sorry, we were talking about criminal cases, where the proof needs to be a little bit better than "I hate young people" or "the Mirror said something that matches my prejudices".
    You are saying you don't care whether things are proven in court or not. Go on, tell us, are you AGS or not? Edit:posting history says most likely yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Yes, I know. The gentleman was cleared of all charges. This is what "not guilty means". He was judged to be not guilty of assault because he was defending himself. If you have a problem with trial by jury that is a side issue.

Neither of us have any evidence as to why the gentleman with the previous conviction for assault was cleared on this occasion.
    You're merely making an assumption that the jury bought his shaky defence, there could be any number of reasons why the prosecution failed to secure a conviction.

You are wrong. It can be. It depends on the context. I've just proven this to you by way of example.

I gave two hypothetical situations, there was no context.
    So someone gives you a dig, it's ok to stab them, yeah?

Ah yes, that chip on the shoulder (or was it a conspiracy?) that anyone who dares to question AGS about anything must have. So, why do YOU have a chip on your shoulder about the judiciary and anyone with the cheek to contradict you? Loss da hattitude!
    And sorry, we were talking about criminal cases, where the proof needs to be a little bit better than "I hate young people" or "the Mirror said something that matches my prejudices".
    You are saying you don't care whether things are proven in court or not. Go on, tell us, are you AGS or not?

I care if they are proven in court because only then can someone be punished for their crime. Outside of that I make my own decision on whether I think someone did something or not. It's called an opinion and I make it based on what I believe the truth is.

And the chip I describe is the one that makes you dredge up the most remote evidence to justify your campaign to smear all Gardaí as corrupt, useless and lazy yet also makes you ignore all the more pertinent evidence shown to the contrary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Only came across this story now. Always nice to see poetic justice. Reminds me of the Manchester scumbag who died in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

The fact that you think calling a student a "student" is somehow spin says more about you than it does anything else.

That's not an answer brown bomber. You desperately started reffering to him as a "student" in an effort to compare him to say, my nephew, who is heading down to UCC tomorrow to do his final final year exam after working very hard for three years.
    There is no cedibility in reffering to the late Jamie Ducey as a ""student" anymore then a mafiosa bosses solicitor reffering to hi s client as a "legitimate business man". Its horse****.

I care if they are proven in court because only then can someone be punished for their crime. Outside of that I make my own decision on whether I think someone did something or not. It's called an opinion and I make it based on what I believe the truth is.

And the chip I describe is the one that makes you dredge up the most remote evidence to justify your campaign to smear all Gardaí as corrupt, useless and lazy yet also makes you ignore all the more pertinent evidence shown to the contrary.
    Oh, well since you just told us for a fact you only need to go with your gut, or feeling in your bones or itchy ear or whatever for proof then I guess you've got just stacks of evidence this particular allegation up, huh.

That's not an answer brown bomber. You desperately started reffering to him as a "student" in an effort to compare him to say, my nephew, who is heading down to UCC tomorrow to do his final final year exam after working very hard for three years.
    There is no cedibility in reffering to the late Jamie Ducey as a ""student" anymore then a mafiosa bosses solicitor reffering to hi s client as a "legitimate business man". Its horse****.
    But a mafiosi boss ISN'T a legitimate businessman whereas this boy most certainly provably WAS a student.
    So your analogy is horse****.

But a mafiosi boss ISN'T a legitimate businessman whereas this boy most certainly provably WAS a student.
    So your analogy is horse****.

Less of that language please or I'll have to start a thread in feedback about my feeling being hurt and why no one did anything about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The senior garda and his wife were at their home in Dungarvan when they heard the sound of glass breaking around midnight. http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/waterford-incident-18-year-olds-body-was-found-near-stream-630696.html

That was a Thursday night.
    Friday is a schoolday for a "student".

But he may not have been a "student" as the young mans facebook profile states he is employed at..... Coffee shop at Amsterdam, Netherlands (18 June 2013 to present)

Oh, well since you just told us for a fact you only need to go with your gut, or feeling in your bones or itchy ear or whatever for proof then I guess you've got just stacks of evidence this particular allegation up, huh.

That doesn't make sense. Is it supposed to be a question? Are you saying you don;t hold any opinions that have not been proven in a court of law? Because that's just not true.

That doesn't make sense. Is it supposed to be a question? Are you saying you don;t hold any opinions that have not been proven in a court of law? Because that's just not true.
    Doesn't make sense to you.
    I have plenty of opinions on things which aren't criminal cases. For those there's a thing call a court of law which decides on guilt.
    In fact, saying somebody is guilty prior to the court case is libel.
    But what would you know about any of that complicated legal stuff, eh?

• Advertisement

I have plenty of opinions on things which aren't criminal cases. For those there's a thing call a court of law which decides on guilt.

I can tell you that libel no longer exists in Ireland. It's now called defamation. Your legal knowledge is outdated. It's also only defamation if you cannot prove on the balance of probabilities that something is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would that not be slander?
    Need to get things right in a law thread lads.

I can tell you that libel no longer exists in Ireland. It's now called defamation. Your legal knowledge is outdated. It's also only defamation if you cannot prove on the balance of probabilities that something is true.
    Well you can't prove jack so I guess that defamation then.
    Thanks Matlock.
    BTW, whatever the article law is called it is still libel. Sorry to burst your bubble there. They mean the same thing.

Would that not be slander?
    Need to get things right in a law thread lads.
    Traditionally slander is word of mouth and libel is written.
    There's a permanent record of several people here proclaiming guilt so that's libel.
    Which, yes, is the same as defamation for those who think using another word for the same thing makes them sound clever.

Well you can't prove jack so I guess that defamation then.
    Thanks Matlock.
    BTW, whatever the article law is called it is still libel. Sorry to burst your bubble there. They mean the same thing.
    Traditionally slander is word of mouth and libel is written.
    There's a permanent record of several people here proclaiming guilt so that's libel.
    Which, yes, is the same as defamation for those who think using another word for the same thing makes them sound clever.

You seem to be missing the point. There is no libel or slander anymore. There was legislation brought in called the Defamation Act which replaced both torts with defamation. There happens to be a defence of honest opinion set out in the legislation as well. Once again, you seem to know nothing of what you speak of.

EDIT: There is also a requirement that a defamatory statement reduces a persons reputation in the eyes of his peers. As this lad appeared to hang out with violent criminals I think I'm safe enough.

You seem to be missing the point. There is no libel or slander anymore. There was legislation brought in called the Defamation Act which replaced both torts with defamation. There happens to be a defence of honest opinion set out in the legislation as well. Once again, you seem to know nothing of what you speak of.

EDIT: There is also a requirement that a defamatory statement reduces a persons reputation in the eyes of his peers. As this lad appeared to hang out with violent criminals I think I'm safe enough.
    Of course there are still libel and slander. These things haven't ceased to exist because they are now covered by a law which calls them defamation. You are still confused by the entire concept of synonyms?
    You cannot have an "honest" opinion as you do not have the facts of this case to hand and you have been told repeatedly you do not.

Of course there are still libel and slander. These things haven't ceased to exist because they are now covered by a law which calls them defamation. You are still confused by the entire concept of synonyms?

No don't be getting insulting because you have once again been shown to have no knowledge of the law. Neither slander nor libel exist anymore because they have both been amalgamated into one. In the same way you do not refer to the countries East Germany and West Germany because they are now the country Germany.
    You cannot have an "honest" opinion as you do not have the facts of this case to hand and you have been told repeatedly you do not.

My opinion is based on what I believe to be true, making it an honest opinion. You are free to disagree with my opinion or what I have based it on but that does not change whether it is an honestly held opinion or not.

No don't be getting insulting because you have once again been shown to have no knowledge of the law. Neither slander nor libel exist anymore because they have both been amalgamated into one. In the same way you do not refer to the countries East Germany and West Germany because they are now the country Germany.

My opinion is based on what I believe to be true, making it an honest opinion. You are free to disagree with my opinion or what I have based it on but that does not change whether it is an honestly held opinion or not.
    Slander and libel do not exist? No, they do exist, they are just covered by a law which happens to group them as defamation. Are you really contesting this? Next you'll tell me killing someone unlawfully doesn't exist because that's called murder. Ozzy doesn't exist anymore because he's rejoined Black Sabbath.
    Puh-lease.

Slander and libel do not exist? No, they do exist, they are just covered by a law which happens to group them as defamation. Are you really contesting this? Next you'll tell me killing someone unlawfully doesn't exist because that's called murder. Ozzy doesn't exist anymore because he's rejoined Black Sabbath.
    Puh-lease.

No I won't be contesting it because once again you will ignore what you are being told as is usual and reference the ridiculous to support you.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

You are missing a trick. I studied media law once upon a time. You have to able to prove the truth of your accusation. You have already admitted you can't. You'd lose. That is if you weren't defaming a dead person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement