Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army & Navy Recruitment 2014 Interview

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ire1995

It wouldnt look bad backing out now if its something you want to do. But taking it then quiting would look foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trouble in P

I would love to serve in the Army in an position but if I accept the job as a recruit and find out I am successful as a Cadet, I will have to leave 3 days into the recruit training. Conveinience of barracks isn't an issue, obviously it would be nice to be stationed close to home but moving away is not a problem. Thanks for your feedback lads

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ire1995

I would love to serve in the Army in an position but if I accept the job as a recruit and find out I am successful as a Cadet, I will have to leave 3 days into the recruit training. Conveinience of barracks isn't an issue, obviously it would be nice to be stationed close to home but moving away is not a problem. Thanks for your feedback lads
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Ire1995 wrote: »
    It wouldnt look bad backing out now if its something you want to do. But taking it then quiting would look foolish.

No it wouldn't.

Training staff will have zero problems with a Recruit who is leaving to accept a place in a Cadetship.

Especially if it is only 3 days into training.

If I was that guy, I would take the enlistment offer and be prepared to leave on offer of Cadetship.

There is no problem with doing this at all and to say so is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

You may never get this far again for general enlistment or the cadets. Don't do something you will regret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If I was that guy, I would take the enlistment offer and be prepared to leave on offer of Cadetship.

There is no problem with doing this at all and to say so is ridiculous.

This is exactly what I did last year. I'm a year in now and don't regret it for a second. I didn't get the cadets last year and otherwise I wouldn't be in the army. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. If you want to be a soldier, be one, take every opportunity. You can apply for the cadets again next year if you want anyway, as a serving member.

Do you think it would be possible to defer my application of the recruits until the next intake and see if I get the Cadets or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Do you think it would be possible to defer my application of the recruits until the next intake and see if I get the Cadets or not?

You are going to find out, so you might as well be a Recruit when you do find out.

If you want to be a soldier, why wait until next year? There are no guarantees. This time next year you could be patrolling around Sunny South Lebanon or else asking some questions on a website.

Exactly as said above. There's no better time than now. I waited until I was too damn old to join in the first place and it's not getting any easier. I wouldn't even ask about deferring. Take the place. I can't stress it enough, take that place if you want to be a soldier first and foremost. If you get an opportunity then to leave, join the cadets and be an officer, if that's what you want, take that then, but don't leave something on the table for the possibility of something else you don't know you have.

Thanks lads, some great advice here. A career in the Defence Forces is what I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

You've been waiting almost 18 months for this opportunity. Thousands applied but relatively few were chosen. I would consider you to be one of the fortunate few that made it this far. There's people that would give their right arm to be in your position.

Best case scenario, you start recruit training and you get a place in Cadet training. Happy days.

Second best scenario, you start recruit training and don't get a place in Cadet training. By the time the next Cadet recruitment happens, you'll hopefully have experience in the Defence Forces and this will stand to you for that competition.

Worst case scenario, you decline the offer of recruit training and don't get a place in Cadet training. You'll be left pondering "what if", "if only", etc.
    Thanks lads, some great advice here. A career in the Defence Forces is what I want.

Go for it!!

Just want to wish everyone starting tomorrow good luck. It's been a long haul from application to finally starting. This forum has been so helpful....thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 grevdawn

Anyone still waiting to hear tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rusty14

grevdawn wrote: »
    Anyone still waiting to hear tomorrow?

Ya.still waiting here. Applied through the curragh and passed the medical. Hopefully there'll be some good news soon

Got back from Dundalk (Aiken) a while ago. 39 guys started today. They'll only be allowed to use mobile phones in their spare time and won't be allowed home for two weeks. All the soldiers were very friendly.

mystic wrote: »
    Got back from Dundalk (Aiken) a while ago. 39 guys started today. They'll only be allowed to use mobile phones in their spare time and won't be allowed home for two weeks. All the soldiers were very friendly.

Did you start there

rusty14 wrote: »
    Did you start there

My son started there this morning.

My son started there this morning.

Thats great news. Fair play to him. Hope he enjoys it. It's been a long 18 months. Still no word from the curragh

rusty14 wrote: »
    Thats great news. Fair play to him. Hope he enjoys it. It's been a long 18 months. Still no word from the curragh

It's going to be an even longer 17 weeks!!

Hope people that applied through the Curragh hear something soon.

It's going to be an even longer 17 weeks!!

Hope people that applied through the Curragh hear something soon.

What Dyou mean even longer ? As in we could be waiting 17 weeks to hear something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

grevdawn wrote: »
    What Dyou mean even longer ? As in we could be waiting 17 weeks to hear something?

Recruit training is 17 weeks

I still haven't got an email with a date, I'm getting a bit worried now...

Anyone heard from the navy yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Feeney23

Rang the Curragh today, still no date. He actually told me he wasn't sure if they have even got a platoon together yet. He said "Youll get an email as soon a they have one together but I don't know when that'll be. Hopefully sooner rather than later". So it's hard to know what to think at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seamen

Quick question for lads already in the army, on the pay scales they show on the military.ie website

Are these rate before or after tax is taken ? also the military service allowance is that taxable ?

MSA is taxable. The pay scales shown are before tax. A 3 star on MSA1 with no extra contributions other than the basic will be coming home with about €298 a week after taxes and deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sparky646

Well lads I done my medical this year on june 11th and applied through the curragh and have heard nothing since after e-mailing them twice to find out if I passed or not. Had anyone who done there medical in june not heard any thing? If i had have failed id no by now would I? any info would be great because this wait is killing me I can't apply for courses or college just In case the army email me I've put my life on hold for this so just hoping they dont email me in a month say in I didn't get in then it's too late to apply for any course or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

sparky646 wrote: »
    Well lads I done my medical this year on june 11th and applied through the curragh and have heard nothing since after e-mailing them twice to find out if I passed or not. Had anyone who done there medical in june not heard any thing? If i had have failed id no by now would I? any info would be great because this wait is killing me I can't apply for courses or college just In case the army email me I've put my life on hold for this so just hoping they dont email me in a month say in I didn't get in then it's too late to apply for any course or anything.

Im in the same situation. Havent heard a thing. When i rang they said that i would of been told if i failed the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sparky646

got this today after i emailed them asking them about it

Dear Mark,

We acknowledge the receipt of your e-mail.

Please note that the complete process prior to induction, has not been completed in respect of all
    potential recruits i.e. medicals, vetting.

Thus some personnel administration has yet to be completed.
    With that in mind, the Defence Forces also await sanction by Government to induct the remaining candidates for the above competition.

It is hoped that this sanction will be received soon.

Therefore we request that you continue to check your e-mails.

Recruitment Office
    Personnel Management Section (G1)
    Headquarters
    Defence Forces Training Centre
    Curragh Camp, Co. Kildare

Tel: 045 - 445035

I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Feeney23

I got an email today asking if I'm still interested. I was told to reply by 10:00 Friday. I applied through the curragh, but the address on the email was from Cork.

Advertisement