Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Arbie wrote: »
    I rang recently on behalf of an older relative who was out of contract for phone/TV/BB. The wait times were 30-60 minutes and the agents we dealt with were awful. They sounded totally bored and got annoyed when I asked about deals/offers. One agent told me the current package was so good they we should be grateful they weren't raising the price!

After 3 calls they offered 6 months at half price but we rang eir who included mobile & better TV package for less. We've called eir a few times to port number, set up caller ID, etc. and they have been quick & courteous.

Would be interested to hear of your experiences with eir, particularly around usability of box and remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Do you know when Vodafone are launching their service?

Sometime this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

RainyDay wrote: »
    Would be interested to hear of your experiences with eir, particularly around usability of box and remote control.

Elderly relative has poor vision & doesn't like technology but finds eir remote and guide better than UPC was. I've used it a couple of times & find it faster than Horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

YanisK wrote: »
    Maybe you could offer some advice to this: recently moved to an apartment where UPC plugs were on the walls so I was certain that I'll take the service with me, however it turns out that they used to have this area connected but do not offer any service until 2018!! So at this point I'm left with about 5 months of contract that I can't practically use.

My options according to them are either cancel for €200 or pass/transfer my account to another person, but neither of them are attractive..

I was under the impression you could cancel without penalty if they could not provide the service, as in when you move. Keep pushing them. maybe you got the wrong operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They definitely don't let you off if they can't provide the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hey folks - anyone been onto the loyalty department lately? Contract is up in the next few days so want to see if they'll do anything for me (paying 80 for BB/2nd Tier TV/Phone).

Have to say that Eir's 4 in 1 package including the Mobile looks decent value @25/month for 12 (understand it goes up to 92 thereafter however - still cheaper than what I'm paying for UPC and Mobile; ~105 and you get a free 4G handset afaik).

Loyalty number still the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

cson wrote: »
    Hey folks - anyone been onto the loyalty department lately? Contract is up in the next few days so want to see if they'll do anything for me (paying 80 for BB/2nd Tier TV/Phone).

Have to say that Eir's 4 in 1 package including the Mobile looks decent value @25/month for 12 (understand it goes up to 92 thereafter however - still cheaper than what I'm paying for UPC and Mobile; ~105 and you get a free 4G handset afaik).

Loyalty number still the same?

Is that deal with the phone not 24 month contract?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

GBX wrote: »

If it's like for like, it would wind up cheaper, even over two years.

105 * 24 = 2520
    (25*12) + (92*12) = 1404

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I was under the impression you could cancel without penalty if they could not provide the service, as in when you move. Keep pushing them. maybe you got the wrong operator.

I think they used to do that. I remember talking to them a few years ago and they mentioned it. They probably got rid of it (assuming they ever had it, could have just been told that to get me to sign up as moving was a concern I mentioned)

GBX wrote: »

It is yeah; still cheaper though plus free handset too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

I emailed UPC the other day as my contract is up. Currently paying 85e per month for Horizon Max TV, Broadband and never used phone minutes.
    Asked whats the best they could do as I'm looking at Sky's offers etc.

Said if I dropped to a standard Horizon TV package (drop 50 channels + 15 or so HD channels), they could lower my price to 80e per month!!!!
    Said there were no offers at the moment as Virgin Media offers are seasonal.
    But if I do want to cancel, be sure to ring their loyalty team first they

Priceless stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I called the loyalty team, I told them I don't use the TV that much & wanted to cancel the TV and first they offered 20 euro off for 4 months. I said no
    They then offered 15 euro for 6 months and I said no.
    I told them Sky's offer was much better at 49 euro PM for 12 months.
    They then offered 6 months half price. I told them I would think about it.
    The thing Virgin media has raised all the pries for their packages.

I'm on the basic package which was 75 euro PM and that price has gone up to 80. so it would be 40 euro x 6 and then 80 euro by 6 total cost is 720

Sky offer TV & BB (Speed of BB is less) for 49 euro PM for 12 months and 100 euro cash back total cost is 488 including the cash back.

I'm really thinking of moving to Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

crazyderk wrote: »
    I called the loyalty team, I told them I don't use the TV that much & wanted to cancel the TV and first they offered 20 euro off for 4 months. I said no
    They then offered 15 euro for 6 months and I said no.
    I told them Sky's offer was much better at 49 euro PM for 12 months.
    They then offered 6 months half price. I told them I would think about it.
    The thing Virgin media has raised all the pries for their packages.

I'm on the basic package which was 75 euro PM and that price has gone up to 80. so it would be 40 euro x 6 and then 80 euro by 6 total cost is 720

Sky offer TV & BB (Speed of BB is less) for 49 euro PM for 12 months and 100 euro cash back total cost is 488 including the cash back.

I'm really thinking of moving to Sky

Is that €49 for tv and broadband including line rental? Sometimes they forget to mention line rental is an extra €30 p/m

Yeah, that doesn't up to what I priced them at for the mother, even with the basic sky pack and hd taken off it was a lot more than that with Bb/phone

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

breeno wrote: »
    Is that €49 for tv and broadband including line rental? Sometimes they forget to mention line rental is an extra €30 p/m

it includes it.
    New to Sky
    Get The Original Bundle + Fibre Unlimited
    €79.50
    €49 a month
    for 12 months (line rental included)
    to be honest the original package is missing allot of channels.
    the above deal is 59 if you upgrade to the variety package

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I'm on an old plan Fibre 120 Chat for €30 a month. I believe I get 120Mb Fibre Unlimited Broadband, unlimited off peak local, National calls & 400 minutes to 22 International countries.

I want to change this to include on peak calls and maybe up the broadband speed for similar cost. This is a fairly minimal change, but no doubt Virgin will make me jump through hoops despite 20 plus years of unbroken custom.

Any suggestions of alternatives I can use for leverage? The key services for me are broadband and international landline to Australia.

Rang there.

Best they could do was 'upgrade' me to Horizon Max (I don't give a **** about TV tbh) & half price (€42.50) for 4 months and then €85 for 8 months.

Will call again and see if I can get 6 months, otherwise it'll one of the Eir bundles for me.

Rang there.

Best they could do was 'upgrade' me to Horizon Max (I don't give a **** about TV tbh) & half price (€42.50) for 4 months and then €85 for 8 months.

Will call again and see if I can get 6 months, otherwise it'll one of the Eir bundles for me.

Remember EIR is a 24 month contract and can't offer a 2nd PVR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Hooked

My dad was in an old contract (with old hardware) and I managed to get him horizon box, 240MB BB and phone for 40 a month x 6, and 80 x the remaining 6. Not great, but not as bad as his old contract.

I'm on the last of the UPC 25 euro x 12 month packages for the same thing! GO FIGURE!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I'm on an old plan Fibre 120 Chat for €30 a month. I believe I get 120Mb Fibre Unlimited Broadband, unlimited off peak local, National calls & 400 minutes to 22 International countries.

I want to change this to include on peak calls and maybe up the broadband speed for similar cost. This is a fairly minimal change, but no doubt Virgin will make me jump through hoops despite 20 plus years of unbroken custom.

Any suggestions of alternatives I can use for leverage? The key services for me are broadband and international landline to Australia.
    I called earlier and took an offer of 240mb Anytime World for EUR50 on a twelve month contract, half price for 4 months. Works out at EUR41.67 a month on average.

My bills have been averaging €33.51 over the last year, and €39.02 over the last 4 months with the wife at home on maternity leave. International calls during the day were causing the high bills.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Remember EIR is a 24 month contract and can't offer a 2nd PVR

Would still work out cheaper for me - paying ~€25 a month for mobile as is so with Virgin = €105 p/m = €1260, or €1050 if I take their 4 months half price offer.

With Eir it'd be €25 x 12 + €92 x 12 = €1404 for 24 months. So I'd be paying essentially €354 (€29.50/month) for a further 12 months service after vs Virgin.

Even if you wanted to cancel it'd be €25 x 12 + €400 cancellation fee = 700. Still significantly cheaper than Virgin.

You could in theory flog the free Smartphone to bring the cost down further too.

Think that Eir deal is a cracking deal personally.

Would still work out cheaper for me - paying ~€25 a month for mobile as is so with Virgin = €105 p/m = €1260, or €1050 if I take their 4 months half price offer.

With Eir it'd be €25 x 12 + €92 x 12 = €1404 for 24 months. So I'd be paying essentially €354 (€29.50/month) for a further 12 months service after vs Virgin.

Even if you wanted to cancel it'd be €25 x 12 + €400 cancellation fee = 700. Still significantly cheaper than Virgin.

You could in theory flog the free Smartphone to bring the cost down further too.

Think that Eir deal is a cracking deal personally.

It is provided you don't want a 2nd recordable box which they can't offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

it includes it.
    New to Sky
    €79.50
    €49 a month

Do the sky basic packages include HD tv channels?

It is provided you don't want a 2nd recordable box which they can't offer

Doesn't matter a ****e to me (and a lot of people I'd reckon).

Do the sky basic packages include HD tv channels?

Nope, HD is extra

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

MarkR wrote: »
    If it's like for like, it would wind up cheaper, even over two years.

105 * 24 = 2520
    (25*12) + (92*12) = 1404

That assumes no discount being applied to the upc packages, which would be 2 x 12 month contracts.

I'm not a UPC fanboi either. I cancelled the TV with them last year and have gone without TV, using an android box, which is all I need. I use UPC BB 240mb and the unlimited phone. Not the best price, but the only one that suits my needs, because I use call forwarding to a mobile and UPC don't charge me for the privilege outside of my package. Eir do charge per call forward and that can add up.

it includes it.
    New to Sky
    €79.50
    €49 a month

Whatever about line rental, Isn't Sky Talk required (€30), actually offer says it comes free with the bb.
    If not, then it's a good deal (apart from the channels, which are basic enough)
    I was pricing daytime calls and documentares on it to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

I played hardball this evening with loyalty

I have Horizon max, anytime calls to landlines including international and 240mb BB currently paying €85 per month.

first I got offered a "one of special " not normally offered of €15 off per month for 4 months, I said no I wanted to cancel
    she came back with 6 months half price and 6 months full I said no off she went again and came back with €42.50 for 9 months and 3 months at €85 with no package change and a 12 month contract in all

well happy with that

patrickc wrote: »
    I played hardball this evening with loyalty

I have Horizon max, anytime calls to landlines including international and 240mb BB currently paying €85 per month.

first I got offered a "one of special " not normally offered of €15 off per month for 4 months, I said no I wanted to cancel
    she came back with 6 months half price and 6 months full I said no off she went again and came back with €42.50 for 9 months and 3 months at €85 with no package change and a 12 month contract in all

well happy with that

Was it an Indian call centre?

Might try again tomorrow so - I assume you took the line of "you can do better than that" etc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

Was it an Indian call centre?

Might try again tomorrow so - I assume you took the line of "you can do better than that" etc etc?

it was but I'd missed a call from a Dublin guy that i asked to contact me through the VM forum here.

I just said sky have offered me 12 months at €45 I'm cancelling unless your price is reduced basically. the girl kept going to her supervisor and I could understand her!

Advertisement