Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I find if you show zero interest whatsoever in what they offer you and keep pushing to just cancel the service that's when you get the best deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I called to cancel and they said I had to email cancel@virginmedia.ie

Is this the normal procedure? Sent the email anyway!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hexosan wrote: »
    I find if you show zero interest whatsoever in what they offer you and keep pushing to just cancel the service that's when you get the best deal

I normally do this every year. But this year they let me. I got right through to cancellation and I had to back track a day later to cancel the cancellation :(

On another note, I rang up today to upgrade to at least get the Disney channels for the kids. They wanted €12 extra per month, fair enough, I'm getting more stations plus more HD stations, but then wanted €60 just to activate the upgrade!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

goz83 wrote: »
    I use call forwarding to a mobile and UPC don't charge me.

Really. Can you tell us more please. Is it actually forwarded to your mobile number? ...or to the upc (landline) app on your phone? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I called to cancel and they said I had to email cancel@virginmedia.ie

Is this the normal procedure? Sent the email anyway!
    Pretty sure that address is wrong, unless they've changed it very recently.

• Advertisement

Really. Can you tell us more please. Is it actually forwarded to your mobile number? ...or to the upc (landline) app on your phone? Thanks.

The way it works is, say you were ringing me. You dial my landline number, it diverts to my mobile, once it connects you start paying your normal rate to a landline. Nothing changes there, but my upc landline is effectively calling my mobile number, so I would have a call from my landline to my mobile on upc bill.
    That's the only cost implication. If you have a plan that has mobile minutes then you don't pay any extra to transfer the call to a mobile. There's no setup charge or charge per call.

If you were using the phone app you could answer your landline with your mobile without having to activate call forwarding in the first place, using data or wifi, but forwarding is better if you have the mobile minutes.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pretty sure that address is wrong, unless they've changed it very recently.

I got an auto email back saying it would be processed.
    Hello!

Thanks for your email. This is an automatically generated e-mail. Your request will be processed by us in the next 5 working days.
    Please note that this email address is used for cancellation of service queries only.

If you use this email address for queries not related to cancellation, there is a risk that your request will not be reviewed.

To contact Virgin Media via email regarding queries not related to cancellation of service, please use this E-mail Form and the relevant department will review your query, and respond as quickly as possible.

We are disappointed to hear you want to cancel your service. We offer a wide range of options, products, packs and price points to suit our customers’ needs. If you would like to discuss these with us, please call us now on freephone 1908.

If we don't hear from you, your request to cancel your service(s) will now be processed. As per our Terms and Conditions, this cancellation will be scheduled 30 days from the date of this email.

We are sorry to see you go and hope you will consider us again in the future.
    We would appreciate if you could take a few minutes to complete a quick survey to let us know if we could have done more for you, please click here.

The cancellation of your service(s) will appear on the bill issued after your cancellation date, and will show the changes made to your account and any charges outstanding up to that date. Please note that if you are cancelling any of your services within your contract period, a cancellation fee of €200 will be applied to your account. If you are outside your contract period you will not be charged a cancellation fee.

You will receive a call from us within the next 30 days to arrange the collection of your equipment.
    If you prefer, you can contact our collector directly on 01 4405310 or email vmequipmentcollections@sierra.ie to arrange an earlier pick-up of the equipment.

As this is an automatically generated e-mail, please do not reply as, unfortunately, you won't receive a response.

However, if you have any further queries please click here to view our FAQs.
    Alternatively, click here to submit a query in relation to your account.
    You can also contact us on 1908 from 9am to 9pm, Monday to Sunday.

Kind regards,
    Customer Value Management Team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The Virgin loyalty team do not appear to be that interested in doing great deals, only got offered €10 off for six months (phone and broadband only, no TV).

The Virgin loyalty team do not appear to be that interested in doing great deals, only got offered €10 off for six months (phone and broadband only, no TV).

They're shocking. Terrible English. Long, drawn out conversations. Trying to give their insight into the speeds and power of the modem. Fake American accents. Absolutely painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

After being offered 6 months half price I decided to go ahead and still cancel as sky are offering 12 months for 49 euro I quoted that to them and they put me on hold for quite some time they then came back and offered me 9 months half price which I'm going to accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

crazyderk wrote: »
    After being offered 6 months half price I decided to go ahead and still cancel as sky are offering 12 months for 49 euro I quoted that to them and they put me on hold for quite some time they then came back and offered me 9 months half price which I'm going to accept.

love it.

What number did you call in order to get the 9 months offer?

I'm on 240MB mobile world right now. Paying 45 a month.

The best they offered me was 4 months half price at 25 a month then 50 a month after that. 12 month contract. And that's Anytime World, not Mobile world.

Or else the 360mb package. 4 months at 30 euro and 8 months at 60 euro. That includes the existing phone package.

Terrible offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

What number did you call in order to get the 9 months offer?

I'm on 240MB mobile world right now. Paying 45 a month.

The best they offered me was 4 months half price at 25 a month then 50 a month after that. 12 month contract. And that's Anytime World, not Mobile world.

Or else the 360mb package. 4 months at 30 euro and 8 months at 60 euro. That includes the existing phone package.

Terrible offers!

I've tv phone and BB which is 80 a month and have been with them for a number of years.

I called the regular number there's an option to select if you're thinking of cancelling

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, the Virgin call centre most of us have spoken to is in the Philippines, not India, so I think it's more a case of recent US colonisation rather than putting on fake American accents ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Called again; got offered the 6 months at half price almost instantly after quoting the Sky offer and highlighting the annual disparity. Told her then that I'd had 'friends' (aka you guys! :pac:) that had been offered 9 months half price and I wanted that, she hopped off the phone and I was on hold for ~10+mins; came back and asked me for their account details (!!!); told her I couldn't give her that information and surely she can only talk to the account holder. But yeah no go on the 9 months, sounds like it was the first she'd heard and she wanted to check it on someone elses to see how to put it through on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

cson wrote: »
    Called again; got offered the 6 months at half price almost instantly after quoting the Sky offer and highlighting the annual disparity. Told her then that I'd had 'friends' (aka you guys! :pac:) that had been offered 9 months half price and I wanted that, she hopped off the phone and I was on hold for ~10+mins; came back and asked me for their account details (!!!); told her I couldn't give her that information and surely she can only talk to the account holder. But yeah no go on the 9 months, sounds like it was the first she'd heard and she wanted to check it on someone elses to see how to put it through on mine.

worth a try eh

You just need to play the game! They can't just give you free stuff cos you're asking. Do as a poster did earlier and keep telling them you wanna leave because a rival has a better deal.
    I tried the whole "my friend got this and that with ye" when I was trying to get sky bill down, got nowhere - yet my missus' sister gave them a sob story and she got her tv for half nothing. They'll have done training on when to not give mad discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

You just need to play the game! They can't just give you free stuff cos you're asking. Do as a poster did earlier and keep telling them you wanna leave because a rival has a better deal.
    I tried the whole "my friend got this and that with ye" when I was trying to get sky bill down, got nowhere - yet my missus' sister gave them a sob story and she got her tv for half nothing. They'll have done training on when to not give mad discounts.

its all about how convincing you sound

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah I think when I call back I'm going to just present the annual figures in terms of Sky/Eir vs UPC plus some kind of story about how I can't afford it anymore despite being a customer for 4+ years and being relatively happy with the service (if you say you're not happy with the service they switch from discounts to 'upgrading' your package). Third time lucky hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

cson wrote: »
    Yeah I think when I call back I'm going to just present the annual figures in terms of Sky/Eir vs UPC plus some kind of story about how I can't afford it anymore despite being a customer for 4+ years and being relatively happy with the service (if you say you're not happy with the service they switch from discounts to 'upgrading' your package). Third time lucky hopefully.

I've found the loyalty department since it got relocated abroad to be absolutely abhorant in trying to source deals. When it was based in Dublin no problems.

I was in touch last night getting information about the 360mb broadband service, I'm an existing customer, and the options I got was

a) Theyd have to cancel my current package and set me up on a new one for €95 a month( basically what new customers get)

b) I could again have my current package cancelled, moved to the 360mb bundle and my Tv removed, and pay a €200 cancellation fee for removing the TV. And this package being €60 a month

The TV btw, which I don't pay for, is free, and sits still in the wrapper upstairs. My main gripe was they said they can't offer a promotion onto an existing promotion. Even though they were more then happy to offer me a mobile promotion, and a promotion before that, onto existing promotions.

So basically in short, no option for 360mb for me, unless I want to bump my bill by €60 a month, why the hell I'd want to do that as an existing customer I've no idea.

Was a crazy situation, guy in loyalty just didnt seem interested. My Sky account is ending shortly and I'm toying what to do. but I'm not going to bother with Virgin and another twelve month extension excluding me from the 360mb broadband for a further time.

All this started by my Da ringing me saying that he enquired about the 360mb upgrade from 240mb, they quoted him a €60 installation fee, he went on his haggle and rant, and ended up getting the upgrade entirely for free, just agreeing to a new 12 month term.

I guess I can't complain to much. I got a cold call from their sales team last year basically saying if I took the TV for free, my package would get half price for duration of the contract.

So I pay €35 a month for 240mb BB, unlimited calls anytime on the phone and something with international calls, and some form of horizon, that sits upstairs in the wrapper. Frustration for me is BB the only interest, and I always make sure I'm on the latest and fastest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I rang yesterday for my mother in law, got offered 15 euro discount first , I said there must be more you can do as she is nearly 80. Finally got 35 euro for first 4 months then 75 for next 2 months after then back to 80 for final 6 months. This is dearer than what Eir are offering on their basic package. Mother in law has BB,tv,phone....

I said there must be more you can do, got a response like "take it or leave it" from guy on phone, if I wanted to cancel then fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

I got offered the same 4 months half price then two months at full price with a fiver discount and 6 months at full price gonna try again Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Is the loyalty dept phone no still the same

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

kenkin wrote: »
    Is the loyalty dept phone no still the same
    you can still catch Loyalty Dept @ 061-272-190

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

After a protracted negotiation with Loyalty, I finally got the 9 months 50% (~€42), 3 month full price (~€84) for a 12 month contract for my existing "Limitless 240Mb, Horizon Max & mobile calls" bundle. I still had a month or 2 to go in my current 12 month. Just keep focused on the attraction of Sky bundle at €49/month. I could have upgraded to 360m for more but that was when then negotiation/offer was focused on 6month half, 6 month full.... but I reckon 240Mbps is piles.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

The girl that I spoke too didn't have good english. She was literally reading word by word from something. If I interrupted her or said that I didn't understand the last part she said, she'd would then repeat the entire script again.

When I told her I was thinking of leaving she immediately replied "Oh please don't leave..pleeeeeeeeease" in a cute Filipino accent. Sigi na anyway! I got a discount and kept with NTL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

sector_000 wrote:
    After a protracted negotiation with Loyalty, I finally got the 9 months 50% (~€42), 3 month full price (~€84) for a 12 month contract for my existing "Limitless 240Mb, Horizon Max & mobile calls" bundle. I still had a month or 2 to go in my current 12 month. Just keep focused on the attraction of Sky bundle at €49/month. I could have upgraded to 360m for more but that was when then negotiation/offer was focused on 6month half, 6 month full.... but I reckon 240Mbps is piles.

mad m wrote:
    I rang yesterday for my mother in law, got offered 15 euro discount first , I said there must be more you can do as she is nearly 80. Finally got 35 euro for first 4 months then 75 for next 2 months after then back to 80 for final 6 months. This is dearer than what Eir are offering on their basic package. Mother in law has BB,tv,phone....

Live chat online with Jayvee for 30 mins and they offered me a plan two euros more expensive at 75 a month??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

VM currently has F all deals to those who use only 240mb BB+phone,since last year when increase went up ,called up and got price even lower and for 2e phone line that went with the 240mb deal, which is not used in this age anymore in my house anyways.

Thus got in touch with a rep here looking to see,would there be a chance to get onto 360mb while remaining on 45e per month,and usual crap either add tv package-no thanks sat+kodi takes care of all needs,thus only option he gave to pay 60e per month.and when mostly using wifi,seems cheaper just to save for decent router.

Now if eir would push their fibre into more areas,that at least would be worth while the increase.since so far didn't see single thing that VM did any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

sector_000 wrote: »

Good luck.

I got the same deal. Took a while though and several threats to plug the whole thing out and leave it in the front garden for them to collect. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just be aware that the loyalty team promise everything and then billing can override it or just don't implement it. I spent several months trying to get a cancellation deal implemented and eventually had to take another offer. Months of incorrect bills.

Advertisement