Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Its 2 months into a 24 month contract, is it not a little early to be making predictions to whether it will continue or not?

It's fallen hard and fast enough that it's hard to see 24 months being achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

can they keep going on 6-7% without substantial cutbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RAKM

I am not a regular soap watcher at all but I decided to watch Red Rock out of curiosity. I have stuck with it and I really think it's a pretty good show. I just can't help thinking that if it was on another channel it would be liked a bit more. Is it a bit like if something is featured in the Irish Times people are almost spellbound by it? if the same thing is in the Irish Daily Mail for example it is treated with a bit of disdain.
    A lot of their progs are pretty ok. I personally prefer their news at 5.30 cos it's short and mostly is just Irish news. Their other progs such as 7o'c show and a lot of their morning TV do not look that different to the many other similar offerings on all the other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Like most things it needs something decent on before it so that there's an audience and TV3 are failing miserably on that count

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Figures have stabilised / improved in the most recent weekly figures so it may not be curtains just quite yet. Having the football on before it may have grabbed some new viewers that have stayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

L1011 wrote: »
    Figures have stabilised / improved in the most recent weekly figures so it may not be curtains just quite yet. Having the football on before it may have grabbed some new viewers that have stayed.

I think with Operation Transformation ending, it has helped them a slightly bit more. Still though, the programmes that are before it are not helping it at all.

I find the figures for Ant & Dec remarkable every week though. 85,000 on TV3 for a repeat, while 104,000 for a new episode on UTV Ireland this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

iseegirls wrote: »
    I think with Operation Transformation ending, it has helped them a slightly bit more. Still though, the programmes that are before it are not helping it at all.

I find the figures for Ant & Dec remarkable every week though. 85,000 on TV3 for a repeat, while 104,000 for a new episode on UTV Ireland this week.
    EPG Position on the major platforms is a major factor in that ... I wonder how long TV3 will have the rights to the older episodes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Do people not realise they are watching a repeat? Did they not see it last year or are they not regular watchers?

How strange that 85,000 viewers watch a repeated show at the same time 104,000 watch the new show at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

L1011 wrote: »

What are the figures?

The strange thing is that the series TV3 are showing is from 2 years ago. They've shown this series four times (twice on a Saturday in 2013 & 2014, with a repeat Sunday), and so on Saturday - it's their 5th time showing it (6th on the Sunday).

I haven't seen this series, but normally the opening jokes are surrounding the big news of the week, while the quiz would normally be all about events of the week. Even questions like "Who won today's Six Nations game?".

I think I've seen it mentioned that they have the rights to Jeremy Kyle and other ITV Studio repeats till 2016. Now whether that is the start, mid or end is anyone's guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Carnacalla wrote: »
    What are the figures?

Hanging around the 105,000 and 121,000 for 15+, it should help that its up against weaker programmings on RTÉ ONE. But as point out before the rest of TV3's programmes have alot to be desired, The 7 O'Clock Show hasn't made an impact but perhaps the audience levels are up from previous shows at that time slot.

Vincent Browne is proving his worth topping the list, but then so does Judge Judy with 94,000 viewers but she only makes it into the top ten once.

I assume that these are all repeats
    All Star Family Fortunes
    The Cube X2
    Celebrity Catchphrase
    The Celebrity Chase
    Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway
    All in the top 20 and all new episodes going to UTV Ireland?????

Other programmes in the top 20 include Can't Pay, Take It Away, Long Lost Family and My Big Fat Gypsy....

Also do end credits point viewers to u.tv?

Elmo wrote: »
    I assume that these are all repeats
    All Star Family Fortunes
    The Cube X2
    Celebrity Catchphrase
    The Celebrity Chase
    Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway
    All in the top 20 and all new episodes going to UTV Ireland?????

All Star Family Fortunes was a new episode (same as UTV), and TV3 retain the rights to all new episodes.
    The 9pm Cube was a new episode (last in Series 8)
    The Celebrity Chase was a new episode, which oddly premiered on TV3 before it was broadcast on ITV/UTV (last Sunday at 6.30pm).

All Star Family Fortunes was a new episode (same as UTV), and TV3 retain the rights to all new episodes.
    The 9pm Cube was a new episode (last in Series 8)
    The Celebrity Chase was a new episode, which oddly premiered on TV3 before it was broadcast on ITV/UTV (last Sunday at 6.30pm).

TBH its really bad for both channels, the both really need to look at how their Saturday Night schedules work as neither have access to all ITV programmes.

Who owns the rights to Take Me Out?

Why does TV3 have access to new Celebrity Chase and UTV Ireland has access to the normal Chase????

TBH its really bad for both channels, the both really need to look at how their Saturday Night schedules work as neither have access to all ITV programmes.

Who owns the rights to Take Me Out?

Why does TV3 have access to new Celebrity Chase and UTV Ireland has access to the normal Chase????

TV3 own the rights to Take Me Out, surprised they haven't started that. They also have the new ITV Keith Barry hypnosis show this Saturday.

Yeah it's very confusing surrounding new episodes regarding The Celeb Chase. Maybe because Series 4 started back in 2014, TV3 had rights to the whole series, even though ITV never got to air all the episodes last year. For the normal series, TV3 are only on Series 4. I wonder will they keep going until. It really is confusing.

TV3 are taking IFTA awards over 2 night one for Film and Drama the other for TV.

Brainhacker announced as part of 2015 may not return?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I understand they won't be broadcasting the ceremony itself, but rather a highlights package incorporating aspects of the "red carpet" (or whatever the IFTA equivalent is), highlights of the ceremony, and post ceremony reaction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

ftakeith wrote: »

Good to see the job going to someone who has lived in Ireland (she happens to be Irish) before joining TV3. Did they every replace Jane Gogan when she left TV3 or did the job die until the arrival of Ben Frow?

The viewing figures are dire

1 UEFA Champions League 143
    2 Red Rock 136
    3 The Cube 121
    4 You're Back In The Room 112
    5 All Star Family Fortunes 105
    6 The People's Debate 96
    7 Catchphrase: Mother's Day Special 94
    8 Long Lost Family 93
    9 At Home With Irish Country Music 90
    10 Tonight With Vincent Browne 90
    11 Red Rock 89
    12 FILM: Sex And The City 2 85
    13 Tonight With Vincent Browne 85
    14 Judge Judy 82
    15 Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway 82
    16 Xpose 82
    17 Judge Judy 79
    18 Xpose 77
    19 Judge Judy 70
    20 Michael Flatley: Lord Of The Dance 70

But UTV's aren't much better

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

yes they are , add up there corrie and emerdale and that would add up more thatn their top 20 haha

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

that your back in the room watched it last week most of it seemed liked acting wont be watching it again , good to see there ant and dec is down in the ratings. wonder will the show a repet of get me out of here when utv ireland has the new episodes bet they will they are scum

• Advertisement

Anyone get to read the Sunday Times article in full, seems TV3 were banging on the minister's door but knew they couldn't prevent UTVIreland going on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Not surprised at that , TV3 want nobody on saorview and don't want to pay for transmission on it either

Only just seen this in next week's TV Now, but looks like TV3 will be adding a news edition for 8pm across the week. This has been done very quietly. No mention on any site or press release. Possibly to trial it out at this time.

Only just seen this in next week's TV Now, but looks like TV3 will be adding a news edition for 8pm across the week. This has been done very quietly. No mention on any site or press release. Possibly to trial it out at this time.

Makes sense TBH but again they should have done it when they had Coro St. It's where Ireland Live should be positioned.

Will it come with a revamp?

Medialive put up monthly ratings showing news programming

Programme|Nov|Dec|Jan| Feb
    Six One|436|443|460|409
    Nine News|412|398|453|474
    The 5:30|162|N/A|162|138
    Ireland Live|N/A|N/A| N/A| N/A
    Ireland Live at 10|N/A|N/A| N/A| N/A
    ITV News at 10|N/A|71*|N/A|N/A
    ITV News at 6:30|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A
    UTV LIVE|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A

*Christmas Day following Downton Abbey 114,000 viewers, TV3's St. Stephen's Day airing of the same show got less than 160,000 viewers it did not enter their top twenty.
    **All other figures are averages based on time slot.

Makes sense TBH but again they should have done it when they had Coro St. It's where Ireland Live should be positioned.

Will it come with a revamp?

It would be good if it followed a different angle on certain news events of the day. Hopefully it's not an exact repeat of the news from 5.30.

Yep they should have had it at 8 last few years when they had the rights to corrie and emmerdale. Only Emmerdale at 8 on a Thursday was the only obstacle, but that could have been moved to later.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Very interesting move alright. Billed as "TV3 News at 8" in listings which probably works out better than "The 8:00".

It would be the first positive thing TV3 have done in the news department in many years. Reinstating a weekend news service, particularly with the general election only twelve months away would be a good move.

While it's an interesting move TV3 are going to end up having Ireland PM from 5:30 to 8:30.

Is there a mass audience for poorly produced in-house programming in prime time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

So is Xposé going to be within this 3 hour window?

Coming up on Ireland PM
    At half five we have the news, fashion and entertainment at 6pm, cookery and interviews at 7 O'Clock follow by the news at 8

5:30 The 5:30
    6:00 Xpose
    7:00 The 7 O'clock show
    8:00 TV3 News at 8

• Advertisement

When did TV3+1 start broadcasting?

Advertisement