Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Souriau wrote: »
    Have TV3 ever use the Sony HD Studio and transmitted any HD programs?

Seems that almost all of their Live Programming comes from their HD studios. HD transmissions will start for the RWC in Sept.

The 12:30, The 5:30 and Late Lunch Live all come from their old studios, I think that VB alternates.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Elmo wrote: »
    HD transmissions will start for the RWC in Sept.
    Does this mean they will be going HD on Saorview ?

Does TV3 transmit HD on UPC or Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Late Lunch Live

You mean the 7o'clock show:P

When's that starting?

Souriau wrote: »
    Does this mean they will be going HD on Saorview ?

Does TV3 transmit HD on UPC or Sky?

TV3HD has not started on any platform, most believe it is unlikely to be available on Saorview :(

7 show starts the 18th

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The 12:30, The 5:30 and Late Lunch Live all come from their old studios, I think that VB alternates.

I think the problem is that they had run things so efficiently in their old studios (all the sets stood alongside each other in the same studio) that the Sony HD studios have probably proved more expensive to run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭xMallx

Just looked up the listings and late lunch live is being replaced by...........a repeat of the 7 o clock show.

xMallx wrote: »
    Just looked up the listings and late lunch live is being replaced by...........a repeat of the 7 o clock show.
    Expect it to be repeated at 3:30 in replace of LLL.

No surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

If there is nothing much on 3e why not shut it down. They would better able to afford to get the main channel out in HD.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    If there is nothing much on 3e why not shut it down. They would better able to afford to get the main channel out in HD.

They lost 30% from TV3s audience closing down 3e would see them lose more ad revenue, HD would not ad addition viewers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Keeping the very valuable EPG slot is the biggest reason to keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

icdg wrote: »
    Keeping the very valuable EPG slot is the biggest reason to keep it going.

Definitely - those two positions are the only assets any obvious buyer in the market would really want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

L1011 wrote: »
    Definitely - those two positions are the only assets any obvious buyer in the market would really want.

Actually, on Saorview they are not that valuable as if they go, then the slots go too. Slots 1 to 10 are available, with +1 slots taking 11 to 19, and new, information taking 21 to 29.

A new TV channel just gets the next slot not far away.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Actually, on Saorview they are not that valuable as if they go, then the slots go too. Slots 1 to 10 are available, with +1 slots taking 11 to 19, and new, information taking 21 to 29.

A new TV channel just gets the next slot not far away.

Saorview really isn't what they're concerned with, though. Sky and UPC are.

Saorview really isn't what they're concerned with, though. Sky and UPC are.

3e has grown largely down to the fact that it is available on Saorview. Saorview should not be total dismissed by broadcasters. Bubble Hits made the huge mistake of thinking everyone had Sky and later on discover how popular Cable was at the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

3e has grown largely down to the fact that it is available on Saorview. Saorview should not be total dismissed by broadcasters. Bubble Hits made the huge mistake of thinking everyone had Sky and later on discover how popular Cable was at the time.

I think RTE make the same mistake as most (possible all) RRTE staff watch TV on Sky or UPC and not Saorview. Some did not even know that RTE have a news channel called RTE News Now - even those who work in the news room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I am sure the staff are well aware of it. The person typing out the teleprompter for some odd reason never included it.

W/E 8/2/15
    1 The Restaurant 133
    2 Red Rock 132
    3 The Cube 127
    4 All Star Family Fortunes 122
    5 The People's Debate 116
    6 Prison Families 113
    7 All Star Mr & Mrs 110
    8 Red Rock 102
    9 Judge Judy 99
    10 Judge Judy 96
    11 Xpose 93
    12 Broadchurch 92
    13 Cowboy Builders 92
    14 Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway 88
    15 Judge Judy 87
    16 Judge Judy 85
    17 Tonight With Vincent Browne 84
    18 Tonight With Vincent Browne 81
    19 Judge Judy 80
    20 Xpose 80

Will Red Rock fall under 100k next week? Tune in same time...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I personally like red rock. I think the schedule let's it down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I know Elmo adds the caveat of "Adults and +15" to his ratings chart, but TV Now has Red Rock stabilising at 170k, so are that many teens watching it, or does the mag include the Player?

• Advertisement

I know Elmo adds the caveat of "Adults and +15" to his ratings chart, but TV Now has Red Rock stabilising at 170k, so are that many teens watching it, or does the mag include the Player?

I honestly don't get the massive difference between TVNow and Medialive. Medialive states it is 15+ only. TVNow is ages 4plus meaning 40,000 aged between 4 and 15 are watching??? What was Wednesday nights audience like in TV Now?

I know that deferred are included in all ratings now, excluding TV3+1 and RTÉ ONE +1, and its only up to an hour or so after the programme ends AFAIK.

I think it will begin to level out between 150,000 and 200,000 viewers (all viewers) until Sept then I'd say it will see an up swing due to a better schedule including RWC.
    I personally like red rock. I think the schedule let's it down though.

Rest of the schedule is letting it down. Also new seasons of The Cube and Ant and Dec are to get underway on UTV Ireland.

Also what pisses me off is how secretive TAMIreland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Also what pisses me off is how secretive TAMIreland is.

Completely agree. Next to impossible to get any information from them through email and phone. Their website is a mess. Annoying that in GB and US ratings are provided straight away the next day. But here, we have to have to wait for the odd press release and a magazine that has 2 weeks old ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Said it before and i'll say it again - for TV3's RWC coverage to be a success they need to stand out for ITV - a simple solution ... go down the Sky Sports route, Launch in HD and re-brand 3e for the duration of the tournament as "3e Rugby HD".

Turn the channel into a 24hr Rugby channel for the duration of the tournament - use the HD studios as a base for the live matches, Highlights, studio analysis, daily live World Cup Shows, match re-runs from the tournament, previous Irish WC matches/WC best matches/Finals, rugby documentaries, delayed/live programming from other tournament broadcasters - Sky New Zealand, ITV, Nine, Fox Sports, NBC Sports etc.

They could make a great job of these rights if the really get their act together!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

irishfeen wrote: »
    Said it before and i'll say it again - for TV3's RWC coverage to be a success they need to stand out for ITV - a simple solution ... go down the Sky Sports route, Launch in HD and re-brand 3e for the duration of the tournament as "3e Rugby HD".

Turn the channel into a 24hr Rugby channel for the duration of the tournament - use the HD studios as a base for the live matches, Highlights, studio analysis, daily live World Cup Shows, match re-runs from the tournament, previous Irish WC matches/WC best matches/Finals, rugby documentaries, delayed/live programming from other tournament broadcasters - Sky New Zealand, ITV, Nine, Fox Sports, NBC Sports etc.

They could make a great job of these rights if the really get their act together!

that is never going to happen

TV3 will show the majority of the games
    3e will show the lower ranked games

ftakeith wrote: »
    that is never going to happen

TV3 will show the majority of the games
    3e will show the lower ranked games
    Ha I know fully well TV3 won't do it because they have the broadcasting imagination of a turnip ...but that's the reason they find themselves in the state they are - they never think outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Only Sky Sports can afford to have dedicated channels like that because they have so many channels. When Sky Sports 2 becomes Sky Sports Darts - no-one really bats an eyelid, because there are plenty of other channels they use. If 3e transformed into a World Cup channel, then it's alienating it's viewers already for their shows. Plus most of the good rugby games are played over the weekends. What you'd have left during the midweek would be one minor match - and then what could you place around that?

TV3 need the boost more than 3e, and so it makes a lot more sense to have the big matches on TV3.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Only Sky Sports can afford to have dedicated channels like that because they have so many channels. When Sky Sports 2 becomes Sky Sports Darts - no-one really bats an eyelid, because there are plenty of other channels they use. If 3e transformed into a World Cup channel, then it's alienating it's viewers already for their shows. Plus most of the good rugby games are played over the weekends. What you'd have left during the midweek would be one minor match - and then what could you place around that?

TV3 need the boost more than 3e, and so it makes a lot more sense to have the big matches on TV3.
    Would disagree with almost every thing you say here - Rugby is now massive in Ireland, this is as good as a home WC to us, Ireland will be favourites to get to the QF's and maybe further.. Not to mention the fact that the numbers watching 3e is small anyway - it's basically all repeats with Family Guy and American Dad..

They could very simple merge the two schedules for the duration of the tournament - if anything it would improve TV3's schedule.

They will lose massive viewership to ITV 1 & 4 if they dont do something different - the amount of achieve rugby matches and programming would easily fill schedules not to mention what TV3 could make themselves.

What I propose wouldn't cost massive money for TV3 but it would mark a departure from what has failed for years.

Would disagree with almost every thing you say here - Rugby is now massive in Ireland, this is as good as a home WC to us, Ireland will be favourites to get to the QF's and maybe further.. Not to mention the fact that the numbers watching 3e is small anyway - it's basically all repeats with Family Guy and American Dad..

They could very simple merge the two schedules for the duration of the tournament - if anything it would improve TV3's schedule.

They will lose massive viewership to ITV 1 & 4 if they dont do something different - the amount of achieve rugby matches and programming would easily fill schedules not to mention what TV3 could make themselves.

What I propose wouldn't cost massive money for TV3 but it would mark a departure from what has failed for years.

I think that first statement is very unfair.

If TV3 decided to put all sports on 3e and rebrand the channel to be more like Network2 in the past it could see an improvement in audiences. But it would need to put 3e in HD first and show all rugby games.

If you look back at Channel 6's first schedules it is far superior to the current 3e schedule.

I think that first statement is very unfair.

If TV3 decided to put all sports on 3e and rebrand the channel to be more like Network2 in the past it could see an improvement in audiences. But it would need to put 3e in HD first and show all rugby games.

If you look back at Channel 6's first schedules it is far superior to the current 3e schedule.
    What would be wrong with the RWC being in HD on 3e?? .. I don't understand where your coming from..

• Advertisement

What would be wrong with the RWC being in HD on 3e?? .. I don't understand where your coming from..

TV3 won't put RWC on 3e alone, it needs it to help improve TV3's audience come September. If TV3 do it right they can be guarantee to have for the first time in their history one or two (if Ireland makes it to the semi-finals) shows in the top 10 most watched programmes, plus it will double its audience share and see TV3 have an average of at least 10% for the year meaning it will be the 2nd most watch TV channel in 2015.

To shift that PR to 3e is where you point out TV3 have a lack of imagination.

Advertisement