Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wonder how much mileage they're planning on getting out of Who Wants to be a Millionaire repeats? I mean anyone with the slightest interest in it must have seen every ep by now? I have a funny feeling I'll be asking the same question in a years time...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Thargor wrote: »
    Wonder how much mileage they're planning on getting out of Who Wants to be a Millionaire repeats? I mean anyone with the slightest interest in it must have seen every ep by now? I have a funny feeling I'll be asking the same question in a years time...

It is strange how they get away with it, it consistently gets into their top programmes, over 100,000 viewers. Have they shown any of the 2020 series yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Thargor wrote: »
    Wonder how much mileage they're planning on getting out of Who Wants to be a Millionaire repeats?

Don't have many other lifelines left...

Don't have many other lifelines left...

They can always Simplify by repeating the cube!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The Continuity Announcer on Virgin Media One just claimed today was the last bank holiday off the year. Seriously how more embarassing can you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Delta2113 wrote: »
    The Continuity Announcer on Virgin Media One just claimed today was the last bank holiday off the year. Seriously how more embarassing can you get.

She presumably meant the last bank holiday of the summer, I'd give her a break on that one to be fair.

The Deceived will air tonight on Channel 5, I assume it will be airing on Virgin Media one in September.

galtee boy wrote: »
    She presumably meant the last bank holiday of the summer, I'd give her a break on that one to be fair.

- She meant nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

All their weekend programming was sponsored by ... Virgin Media's Festival of Football. :rolleyes:

The same festival of football event that will see RTE showing more free to air Champions League matches than Virgin Media will show.

iseegirls wrote: »
    All their weekend programming was sponsored by ... Virgin Media's Festival of Football. :rolleyes:

The same festival of football event that will see RTE showing more free to air Champions League matches than Virgin Media will show.

What marches are on the FTA channels?

• Advertisement

This is because Virgin’s contract with distributor ITV Studios is an output deal covering a fixed number of hours rather than being tied to the delivery of particular shows.

So ITV deal means that Virgin Media have a set number of hours delivered to them regardless of the programmes! So why not choose other ITV programmes over Love Island. I think ITV Studio had a number of new programmes during the last few months not picked up by Virgin Media Television.

Advertising set to be down 25% from last year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-media-television-expects-to-lose-a-quarter-of-ad-revenue-in-2020-1.4320971

Elmo wrote: »
    What marches are on the FTA channels?

RTE2 have 4 matches
    Last 16's: Manchester City v Real Madrid on (Fri 7th)

Quarter Finals: Atlanta v PSG (Wed 12th)
    Napoil/Barcelona v Chelsea v Bayern Munich (Fri 14th)

Semi Final: 1 free semi final choice

Virgin Media on FTA:
    Last 16's: Juventus v Lyon (Fri 7th on VM2 - same night as RTE2 - hence why it's been shown FTA similar to they way they schedule matches against RTE)

Quarter Finals: none

Semi Finals: expected none

Final: 23rd Aug

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

According to the Sky EPG, VM Two are also showing Barcelona v Napoli on Saturday + two Europa League fixtures - Inter v Gatefe and Wolves v Olympiacos - this week.

Elmo wrote: »
    So ITV deal means that Virgin Media have a set number of hours delivered to them regardless of the programmes! So why not choose other ITV programmes over Love Island. I think ITV Studio had a number of new programmes during the last few months not picked up by Virgin Media Television.

Advertising set to be down 25% from last year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-media-television-expects-to-lose-a-quarter-of-ad-revenue-in-2020-1.4320971

That's an interesting piece - so they've no return on missing out on so many new shows as part of their ITV Studios deal - half the soap episodes, no Love Island along with the upcoming barren spell for any upcoming dramas. They must have been burned by The Jeremy Kyle Show too when they took him off the schedule.

In saying that - they do make full use of the ITV Studios back catalogue. In doing so they've lost their identity whereby VM2 and VM3 has near pure ITV driven content.

That's an interesting piece - so they've no return on missing out on so many new shows as part of their ITV Studios deal - half the soap episodes, no Love Island along with the upcoming barren spell for any upcoming dramas. They must have been burned by The Jeremy Kyle Show too when they took him off the schedule.

In saying that - they do make full use of the ITV Studios back catalogue. In doing so they've lost their identity whereby VM2 and VM3 has near pure ITV driven content.

The few shows up that they have from the deal could be replaced by shows they wouldn’t normally take.

It’s a bad deal if an hour of coronation street is equal to an hour of a repeat of Love Island.

Surely Virgin Media could have taken Poldark.

ITV Studios laughing all the way to the bank.

Also why not bring back loose women?

Any reason why VMTV saw fit to show Wolves v Olympiacos on both VM Two and VM Sport tonight? Basel v Frankfurt, the other game, is relegated to Sport Extra 4 which means Sky customers can’t watch it (although many will be able to via BT Sport or the eir TV or VM TV Anywhere apps).

This time around (after football lockdown) I've noticed they are using the higher number Extra channels. Your Sky explanation might be the reason.

It would have usually been (an old trick Setanta used to play was to put the more attractive fixture on Setanta 1) but in this case the Wolves game was probably the more attractive to Irish viewers so it makes no sense really. The main cohort with an entitlement to VMTV Sport on satellite and not the extra channels would be eir Sport satellite-only subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

What annoys me that Virgin Media could have bought some of the Channel 5 content that Irish people never see.

Supermarket Sweep is back on Itv2 that would be a good addition to VM1 or VM2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

mikeym wrote: »
    What annoys me that Virgin Media could have bought some of the Channel 5 content that Irish people never see.

I presume you're joking. :)

• Advertisement

It's an awful revival. If the original 3e was around, it may have fit their demographic. But Virgin Media Two would rather show Heartbeat and A Touch Of Frost instead these days

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Man united match last night, crowd noise was too loud it was hard to hear the commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Man united match last night, crowd noise was too loud it was hard to hear the commentators.

I wish that was the case for me. The commentary was awful and I would have loved to have heard as little of them as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

mikeym wrote: »

Channel 5 never had any interest in the Irish Market. Channel 4 always did.
    If the programs are Channel 5 commissioned, they may not be for sale.

As for ITV 2, just the rubbish tv channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

RTE2 have 4 matches
    Last 16's: Manchester City v Real Madrid on (Fri 7th)

Quarter Finals: Atlanta v PSG (Wed 12th)
    Napoil/Barcelona v Chelsea v Bayern Munich (Fri 14th)

Semi Final: 1 free semi final choice

Virgin Media on FTA:
    Last 16's: Juventus v Lyon (Fri 7th on VM2 - same night as RTE2 - hence why it's been shown FTA similar to they way they schedule matches against RTE)

Quarter Finals: none

Semi Finals: expected none

Final: 23rd Aug

Atlanta-PSG has been removed from the listings for tomorrow night on rte2. Do they have the rights to show 2 QF? Barca-Bayern still listed for Friday

VM2 showing man city-lyon on sat. Not sure about the EL semis

They’d usually have shown two games at the QF stage, but it would have been one first leg and one second leg. Given there are now four games instead of eight that may have reduced RTE’s allocation accordingly.

No sign of any of the semi finals in both Europa League and Champions League to be shown on Virgin Media One or Two at of yet. I'd be surprised if they don't show the Man Utd semi final on VM Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Did we ever get a public release of the actual vmsport subscribers on sky?

No idea when Virgin Media plan to have their Autumn schedule press release, but ITV had theirs 2 weeks ago. A nice press pack up online through here: https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-packs/itv-announces-its-2020-autumn-schedule-brand-new-entertainment-drama-factual-and-daytime

You'll probably be able to gather through ITV's schedule what Virgin Media's schedule will be like in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

No idea when Virgin Media plan to have their Autumn schedule press release, but ITV had theirs 2 weeks ago. A nice press pack up online through here: https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-packs/itv-announces-its-2020-autumn-schedule-brand-new-entertainment-drama-factual-and-daytime

You'll probably be able to gather through ITV's schedule what Virgin Media's schedule will be like in all honesty.

Only soccer on that is Soccer Aid. ITV cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to the nation's biggest sport.

Advertisement