Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Never is a long time!

I think it will all have to do with what happens to the VM brand. LibertyGlobal will only own 50% of the merged U.K. operation but retains 100% of the Irish operation, which will, it appears, go back to being grouped with what is left of UPC (Poland, Slovakia, and Switzerland - the sale of the latter, formerly Cablecom, recently fell through).

There will be all sorts of legalities tied up in the Virgin deal, it was meant to run for 30 years, as I recall, but with a break clause after 10 years which passed in 2017. I think they’ve invested so much in the brand here that they’ll try to continue using it here rather than going back to the previous brands but these things sometimes take on a life of their own. I also think Liberty Global will probably look to get out of Ireland either way at the right price down the road. As a group it has all the look of a business in wind down having sold off or created JVs for most of its operations, with only four countries with wholly owned operations left.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

icdg wrote: »
    There will be all sorts of legalities tied up in the Virgin deal, it was meant to run for 30 years, as I recall, but with a break clause after 10 years which passed in 2017.

I found the original Trade Mark legal document on this, between Virgin Enterprises Limited and NTL Group Limited, dated April 3 2006 (ending at midnight (GMT) on 2 April 2036)
    “Minimum Term” means the period of 10 years from the Commencement Date;

“Term” means the term of this Deed which is to be a period of thirty (30) years from the Commencement Date unless terminated earlier in accordance with this Deed;

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1270400/000110465906053116/a06-15794_1ex10d2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

icdg wrote: »
    Never is a long time!

I think it will all have to do with what happens to the VM brand. LibertyGlobal will only own 50% of the merged U.K. operation but retains 100% of the Irish operation, which will, it appears, go back to being grouped with what is left of UPC (Poland, Slovakia, and Switzerland - the sale of the latter, formerly Cablecom, recently fell through).

There will be all sorts of legalities tied up in the Virgin deal, it was meant to run for 30 years, as I recall, but with a break clause after 10 years which passed in 2017. I think they’ve invested so much in the brand here that they’ll try to continue using it here rather than going back to the previous brands but these things sometimes take on a life of their own. I also think Liberty Global will probably look to get out of Ireland either way at the right price down the road. As a group it has all the look of a business in wind down having sold off or created JVs for most of its operations, with only four countries with wholly owned operations left.

Malone has a fierce grá for Ireland all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Are they going to show the new series of who wants to be a millionaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Are they going to show the new series of who wants to be a millionaire?

I’d say there will be very new shows on Virgin for the foreseeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

what series of WWTBAM is airing on VMTV ONE, I hadn't realised that ITV have a new series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    what series of WWTBAM is airing on VMTV ONE, I hadn't realised that ITV have a new series.

Virgin Media One are (re-)showing Series 32 at the moment. This is the series that originally ran from 1/Jan/19 to 6/Jan/19 and 4/Mar/19 to 10/Mar/19. 3rd time they're showing this series, and 4th if you count in their repeat on the following Saturday.

Virgin Media TV, have showed Series 33 twice which ran between 24/Aug/19 - 20/Oct/19.

However, they haven't shown Series 34 yet - which are 10 episodes in total. This is the first series where they haven't shown it at the same time as ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Would be lovely if VMT invited Swimmers Jackson onto Ireland AM.

@iseegirls never understood why RTÉ commission Say Yes To The Dress when the american version didn't do all that well, and DIY SOS seems a very strange comission since Baz's life changing series was so well received and considereding that DIY SOS never really did well for TV3/Virgin Media. I wonder what the audience on the BBC is like, I think its probably one of the BBC's worst lifestyle formats. IMO.

Is it owned by BBC Worldwide?

From searching around - seems like the BBC Studios' Unscripted Productions is the main producer for DIY SOS under BBC Studios. https://www.bbcstudios.com/case-studies/diy-sos/

Not sure what that got bundled into for Virgin Media even back when they first aired it. Searching through the BBC Studios catalogue - there isn't any other programme there that Virgin Media/TV3 showed before apart from DIY SOS.

Few stats for anyone interested. TV3 showed S14-S19 between 2013 and 2015. And then The Big Build one hour series' S24 - S28 from 2016 up to the 3rd May 2020.

S29 is what RTE2 will be showing.

• Advertisement

EastEnders ! I think they had Dr Who at one point also.

EastEnders ! I think they had Dr Who at one point also.

Eastenders switched to RTE1 in 2001. Dr Who 2007-2009 for the 2 series they showed, so this would have been before when DIY SOS started on the channel. Just seems like an odd show that they would go out of their way to purchase, unless it was bundled in with other rights.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Eastenders switched to RTE1 in 2001. Dr Who 2007-2009 for the 2 series they showed, so this would have been before when DIY SOS started on the channel. Just seems like an odd show that they would go out of their way to purchase, unless it was bundled in with other rights.

Have to agree, wonder how they got it. Did they get it in 2015? You'd wonder why they didn't go after other BBC programmes that RTÉ don't pick up.

RTÉ always had a choice to take EastEnders under their long term agreement with BBC Worldwide, up to 2001 they'd decided not to.

I think VM2 should bring back the comedies it used to show - Family Guy, American Dad!, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Curb Your Enthusiasm, How I Met Your Mother etc. Letting go of them was a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I think VM2 should bring back the comedies it used to show - Family Guy, American Dad!, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Curb Your Enthusiasm, How I Met Your Mother etc. Letting go of them was a mistake

Is that what's needed now though? Have we not moved into a time where original content is key? All of the shows you mentioned are available on streaming services. Surely VM and RTE should be focusing on original content? That's the space in which they can be different rather than showing content produced by other TV stations all the time.

@iseegirls Also Law and Order SVU and Bull are two strange ones. And Judge Judy, surely they come with other american rights.

Is that what's needed now though? Have we not moved into a time where original content is key? All of the shows you mentioned are available on streaming services. Surely VM and RTE should be focusing on original content? That's the space in which they can be different rather than showing content produced by other TV stations all the time.
    I would agree with you. If they at least got rid of the reality shows from the VMT stations and cut down on the ITV programming, that would at least be an improvement.

@iseegirls Also Law and Order SVU and Bull are two strange ones. And Judge Judy, surely they come with other american rights.

All guesswork, but here goes:
    Judge Judy been with them since Day 2 - part of Viacom/CBS TV Series. Bull is under a CBS TV Distributor as well - maybe that got thrown in when they renewed Judge Judy.

Looking back at other Distributors - the main one back when they started was 20th Century Fox. Nearly everything from 1999-2000 was on TV3 (from their wiki page) - Martial Law, Family Guy (they only showed 1st series), Futurama (same - only 1 series), Strange World, Judging Amy, Stark Raving Mad, Snoops, Angel, Buffy, Roswell, Harsh Realm, Then Came You. A few other ones a few years later like Tru Calling, Arrested Development, Wonderfalls around 2003, and then around 2009 there was Glee and Modern Family.

Universal TV Programs then for Law And Order: SVU. They had Just Shoot Me , Will And Grace, Crossing Jordan, American Dreams, Las Vegas, Dragnet from them over the early years too. Again though - seems odd they've only continued with Law And Order: SVU.

I've no idea how these rights work anyway, pure guesswork. Maybe they can just get particular rights for single programmes.

It's a pity the channels like VM2 and VM3 are now just morphed into an ITV archive nowadays.

Virgin Media Two ploughing on with next repeated series of Love Island (the 2019 summer one) when the 2018 version finishes on Sunday. Even though it didn't even appear in the Top 20 ratings for April.

Virgin Media One changing schedule again at 9pm.
    Mon: (was Gogglebox Ireland) Countdown To Execution (4th time to be shown)
    Tue: (was Hatton Garden Heist) The Missing Evidence: Death Of Marilyn Monroe (8th time to be shown, first shown in 2013)
    Wed: Gogglebox Ireland (Series 2 - first shown early 2017)
    Thu: (was Police Code Zero) I Married A Waiter (ELEVENTH time to be shown)
    Fri: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (6th time to be shown)

This is just getting lazy. No wonder they're struggling so badly at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Is this the last week of Emmerdale before the episodes run out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DjMidas

Hi
    Hoping someone out there might be able to help me.. This is a long shot, i have two old and I mean old, from the good ole days, Cte Fm transmiters. A Tx250 and a, i think s 36 transposer.. What i require is a copy of the manuals and schematics for both. Have tried googling but no luck, so I am hoping i might find help here...
    Cheer

Virgin Media Two ploughing on with next repeated series of Love Island (the 2019 summer one) when the 2018 version finishes on Sunday. Even though it didn't even appear in the Top 20 ratings for April.

Tue: (was Hatton Garden Heist) The Missing Evidence: Death Of Marilyn Monroe (8th time to be shown, first shown in 2013)

If I were in charge of VMT, LI wouldn't be on at all. I'd replace it with a wildlife documentary or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

how did they do ratings wise up against WWTBM on UTV at 9pm. even though clarkson is not some peoples favourite person I would say those that had a choice watched it on utv rather than whatever VM1 had on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I can't believe they decided to show re-runs of any of the Love Island shows. Do they not realise is basically a social media experience and that's why it gets high viewing numbers in real time? It's a program that appeals to people who love to gossip with their mates on social media, and people tune purely so they can join in the gossiping.

I can't believe they decided to show re-runs of any of the Love Island shows. Do they not realise is basically a social media experience and that's why it gets high viewing numbers in real time? It's a program that appeals to people who love to gossip with their mates on social media, and people tune purely so they can join in the gossiping.

It's rubbish. Especially after what happened to Caroline Flack, I don't think it should ever continue now. I'm not one of those people it's aimed at; I prefer music programmes and comedies/dramas. This is just one reason I was so opposed to Doughty Hanson purchasing Channel 6 back in 2008; because DH were going to make a dog's dinner out of the channel. I would rather Channel 6 had died a natural death without being purchased. I know it probably wouldn't have survived on it's own but I'd have rathered it had completely closed down than being bought over and ruined. RTÉ is much better

I just see it as pure laziness. Over the 2 series - they'll have 100 episodes - and so that has 9pm covered for over 3 months. And they oddly seem content with that then.

You have the madness of whats on before and after it some night. Heartbeat is being stripped across 8pm every weekday, and then you have shows like A Touch Of Frost after Love Island. Who are they targeting again on this channel - it's a right mess.

I just see it as pure laziness. Over the 2 series - they'll have 100 episodes - and so that has 9pm covered for over 3 months. And they oddly seem content with that then.

You have the madness of whats on before and after it some night. Heartbeat is being stripped across 8pm every weekday, and then you have shows like A Touch Of Frost after Love Island. Who are they targeting again on this channel - it's a right mess.

I can't see ITV being able to repeat a full series of Love Island considering the circumstances surrounding the death of its host.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Do they not have full series rights to Heartbeat? You never see the earlier series. At least they would be something different

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Do they not have full series rights to Heartbeat? You never see the earlier series. At least they would be something different

Which series do they show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Which series do they show

No sure but they never show the earlier ones..

Advertisement