Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Delta2113 wrote: »
    A historic day in Irish Politics and what coverage was given? - that's right -sod all.

Historic politics has no place on the schedule when there are episodes of "All Star Mr & Mrs" and "All Star Family Fortunes" to be repeated for the 5th time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Historic politics has no place on the schedule when there are episodes of "All Star Mr & Mrs" and "All Star Family Fortunes" to be repeated for the 5th time.

What's annoying is they have good political reporters, but they don't do the rte effort of covering the big events properly/fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

now that you put it like that, I agree it’s was historic.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Delta2113 wrote: »
    A historic day in Irish Politics and what coverage was given? - that's right -sod all.

It was on three of RTÉ’s channels - One, Oireachtas and News Now. I’m sure that Virgin made the right call. Most viewers will watch RTÉ One’s coverage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It was on three of RTÉ’s channels - One, Oireachtas and News Now. I’m sure that Virgin made the right call. Most viewers will watch RTÉ One’s coverage anyway.

Why do they bother doing the covid 19 updates if that's the reasoning?

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »

Indeed. I regard the Virgin channels as pretty much irrelevant.

Indeed. I regard the Virgin channels as pretty much irrelevant.

Virgin Media One would be irrelevant to themselves if they hadn't continued with COVID-19 updates what they lost from the soaps they gained from their news coverage. And really only for the UTV Ireland News crew have they actually come near to a proper news service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

lertsnim wrote: »

Because there's a world of a difference between Covid 19 and the formation of a historic coaltion government. Covid 19 crisis is happening every day and is affecting all of the lives of Irish citizens in a way that yesterday's events at the Conference centre are not. If VM had covered the latter there would have been a welter of complaints as to why 4 channels on Saorview were covering the same event.

Because there's a world of a difference between Covid 19 and the formation of a historic coaltion government. Covid 19 crisis is happening every day and is affecting all of the lives of Irish citizens in a way that yesterday's events at the Conference centre are not. If VM had covered the latter there would have been a welter of complaints as to why 4 channels on Saorview were covering the same event.

I know it's important and I am glad they are showing it. I wasn't questioning why they were showing it but the reasoning of the post I quoted. I thought that was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭iseegirls

If they want to be taken seriously - then they need to be covering these events. They knew on Friday that this would be happening, but nothing put in place to cover it. There's no way they should be thinking "ah sure, RTE will cover it". No way ITV would allow BBC a free run at it if a similar event happened in the UK

Across the time of the vote, you had the English shows of Harbour Lives, Tipping Point and DIY SOS on VM1,2&3 - all of which were repeats from previously aired a few days earlier. It just shows where Virgin Media's priorities lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Gogglebox coming back to Virgin Media.

I hate that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

mikeym wrote: »
    Gogglebox coming back to Virgin Media.

I hate that show.

I like it and think the Irish version is done well

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I like it and think the Irish version is done well

I think its a show you either love or hate. Don't think much of either version TBH.

Will be interesting to see if Yeats is back in September, it all sounds like it is just newstalk.

Elmo wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if Yeats is back in September, it all sounds like it is just newstalk.

He's done with his television show too. He said so on the radio earlier. His last show on Virgin Media television is July 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Elmo wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/veteran-broadcaster-ivan-yates-to-step-down-from-weekday-newstalk-slot-and-the-tonight-show-39331432.html

Looks like he is going from both TV and Radio.
    Pity as i liked his style of presenting, not afraid to call out a lot of bulls*it when he had too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Watching Ivan tonight he seems as engaged and on top of things as ever. I wonder will he regret this latest retirement after a couple of months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

Watching Ivan tonight he seems as engaged and on top of things as ever. I wonder will he regret this latest retirement after a couple of months...

He'll be back by Christmas doing a weekend show somewhere.

The schedule is getting so bad on VM2 and VM3 - its basically a copy of ITV3 these days.

Wonder why they didn't go for specific channel names - look at how Sky have created channels like Sky Comedy, Sky Documentaries etc..

Instead Virgin Media have 3 channels which show the exact same thing, on repeat and all from ITV catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Correct, I see very little difference between VM1, VM1+1, VM2 and VM3. Same branding, same content - just at different times.

So glad I have access to the ITV channels directly so don't need to bother with anything from VM.

• Advertisement

JDxtra wrote: »
    Correct, I see very little difference between VM1, VM1+1, VM2 and VM3. Same branding, same content - just at different times.

So glad I have access to the ITV channels directly so don't need to bother with anything from VM.

Same here.

Even take this Saturday, and removing all ITV and ITV Studios programming, here's the schedule:

Virgin Media One:
    09.00 Ireland AM
    12.55 Champions League Weekly
    17.00 Red Rock (r)
    17.30 News
    23.00 Autopsy - Joan Rivers (r)
    00.00 Best Of Ireland AM
    01.30 Special: Disclosure (r)

Virgin Media Two:
    ---- Everything is ITV/ITV Studios related.

Virgin Media Three:
    07.00 Kids (r)
    09.00 Judge Judy (r)
    15.00 Red Rock (r)
    00.00 Law & Order: SVU (r)
    01.00 Judge Judy (r)

Not even shocking anymore, just more embarrassing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What I think is amusing is that people still post things like "why do virgin media do x?" when it's so clear that the controllers of the channels simply do not care. At times it strikes me that they simply have a random video playlist on. But they (I guess?) are making money from this low effort output, so why would they change?

Is it possible for their licence to be reviewed on the basis of perceived quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

My opinion is that they only exist as a means to advertise broadband and television services from Virgin Media.

If they cover their costs, great - however their main existence is not to broadcast great, original TV. Its effectively just keeping the Virgin Media name prominent because the channels are in everyone's TV guide.

They have soaps and some big ITV shows, but mostly they just spew out the cheapest content possible that is just about acceptable. It doesn't matter if people watch it. They still see the Virgin Media name when skipping past it in the EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

In fairness to Virgin Media their news is good as is the Tonight Show even if Ivan Yates’s views annoy me sometimes. Their other home produced content is not great though.

AJB39 wrote: »
    In fairness to Virgin Media their news is good as is the Tonight Show even if Ivan Yates’s views annoy me sometimes. Their other home produced content is not great though.

Their news is good? You must be kidding. It’s too sensationalist for my liking, and also lacking any in depth analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

I’m not kidding. While their news isn’t on the same level as RTE’s it’s not that bad in my opinion. Yes their headlines are often sensationalist but their reporting is decent enough. Paul Colgan and Gavin Reilly in particular also give good analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I live in N. Ireland and I tend to watch RTE News most. I find VM News ok but not of the standard of RTE. BTW I think RTE News is better than either BBCNI or UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

AJB39 wrote: »

I completely agree. I always liked their style of news. It can be sensationalist at times but I think they do a good job. They have some very good reporters.

• Advertisement

I watch all the news outlets I can - Irish, British, NI, etc. Also the Russian, French, Turkish, Chinese international channels. They all have their own agendas. I just feel that Virgin’s news is like what you would get in your local newspaper, an example being their southern correspondent who always manages to get a sob story or a negative angle. It’s not for me, but each to their own.

Advertisement