Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s not an ITV production, so doesn’t come within the VM-ITV deal, but does anyone know if “Quiz”, the drama based on the Millionaire coughing scandal which airs on ITV tomorrow night, has been picked up by any Irish broadcaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    It’s not an ITV production, so doesn’t come within the VM-ITV deal, but does anyone know if “Quiz”, the drama based on the Millionaire coughing scandal which airs on ITV tomorrow night, has been picked up by any Irish broadcaster?

Not sure but it is distributed by Sony who also distribute WWTBAM so don’t see why VM shouldn’t pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I wonder what will be the future of
    Virgin Media TV? Tv channels and media in general are struggling with reduced revenue now due to covid19. I wonder what changes we will see on VM? I’d say the sports channels could be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Virgin Media TV? Tv channels and media in general are struggling with reduced revenue now due to covid19. I wonder what changes we will see on VM? I’d say the sports channels could be in trouble

Sports is used to pull viewers with eg champions league football so VM Sports is going nowhere.
    VM will continue the race to the bottom with endless repeats of ITV material

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Maz2016 wrote: »

They've got to decide whether they want to become Virgin Media ITV. Or focus on quality homemade programming. At the moment it's morphing into an ITV. There wasnt as much reliance on ITV back on TV3 pre-UTV Ireland days. Now they're unashamedly using the ITV catalogue, and apart from sport - they've spent nothing else outside that.

Getting rid on Virgin Media Three would be the first step.
    Only allowing one repeat per episode per programme or special.
    Giving Virgin Media Two a clear audience target market. Putting Heartbeat on before Love Island with A Touch Of Frost on afterwards just baffles me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone think their news coverage during the whole COVID-19 thing has been pretty good, in some cases better than RTE?

ITV repeats aside think they have really grown in terms of Irish news and current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Anyone think their news coverage during the whole COVID-19 thing has been pretty good, in some cases better than RTE?

ITV repeats aside think they have really grown in terms of Irish news and current affairs.

It may be good but they've absolutely nothing on there to have me watching their channels so I remember to watch their news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭Infoanon

iseegirls wrote: »
    They've got to decide whether they want to become Virgin Media ITV. Or focus on quality homemade programming.

They are not VM ITV - many quality new programmes eg 'Quiz' are not shown and the schedules are jammed with ITV repeats (of repeats).
    Any homemade programming is only to meet the licence requirements and the attitude is best summed up by the scheduling of Red Rock - a programme that received significant tax payer funding for this private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

lertsnim wrote: »
    It may be good but they've absolutely nothing on there to have me watching their channels so I remember to watch their news.

Ya, what's funny is their reporters on twitter are very insightful (eg Richard Chambers and Gavan Reilly), but I'd never think of even switching on virgin media to watch news...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

We might be watching the Europa League and Champions League during the summer.

Usually theres nothing on Virgin Media Sport all summer usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭KildareP

The channels just scream low budget and a way to try and cross promote what's on their pay-TV platform and Virgin Media On Demand.

What shows I might watch - Ireland AM, News or Tonight - look so horrible on SaorView it puts me off. Pretty much everything else content-wise airs on ITV in HD.

I didn't even bother with them for the Six Nations earlier on (remember when there was actually live sport on TV :( )- BBC and ITV between them showed all matches in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

For the it's number of days, the sound isn't working on VM2 in my house. Anyone else experienced this?

I just have cable going into back of TV.

For the it's number of days, the sound isn't working on VM2 in my house. Anyone else experienced this?

Does the cable go to an aerial? Or is it a cable from a cable company? What part of the country are you in ?

Or

Are you watching on Saorview ? I’ve not had problems
    Are you watching using analogue Virgin Media? Analogue cable on its way out
    Are you based in Dublin? No analogue cable in Dublin

Elmo wrote: »
    Does the cable go to an aerial? Or is it a cable from a cable company? What part of the country are you in ?

Or

Are you watching on Saorview ? I’ve not had problems
    Are you watching using analogue Virgin Media? Analogue cable on its way out
    Are you based in Dublin? No analogue cable in Dublin

In Dublin - but we're essentially in the middle of a farmers field
    Cable going into the back of the TV runs to an aerial up on the roof.

Only VM2 has the issue. All other channels work perfectly.

In Dublin - but we're essentially in the middle of a farmers field
    Cable going into the back of the TV runs to an aerial up on the roof.

Only VM2 has the issue. All other channels work perfectly.

Thanks Double checked no problem here in Dublin with VM2 this thread might help >>>>
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056057752/119/#post113006137

Re: VM news they’ve also dropped all celebrity gossip news from news shows this improved their output also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I notice the DOG for VM1 on saorview right now has ONEhd on it..they must be too lazy to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Maz2016

In limerick and ive had issues on VM2 as well as has my brother in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Have you checked the correct audio stream is selected. The narrative option has no sound

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Didn't the government hand over some radio spectrum to the broadband companies and there were fears from Virgin and others that their channels would have interference and disruption as a result.
    All because of Covid 19.

It might be related.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Didn't the government hand over some radio spectrum to the broadband companies and there were fears from Virgin and others that their channels would have interference and disruption as a result.
    All because of Covid 19.

It might be related.

Not related as it only the sound on a single channel in a mux that's affected. If the issue was with interference from a mobile basestation all channels on a particular mux would be affected.

Try a retune or factory reset of the TV.

As regards the temporary allocation of the 700MHz band to 4G mobile, cleared of broadcasting for over a month now, why would VM say this would cause interference to their services? This band with other spectrum is to be auctioned off for 5G services later this year or early next year in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

VM2 showed the same episode of Tipping Point this evening at 5pm that they showed yesterday at 5pm. They’re a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

VM2 showed the same episode of Tipping Point this evening at 5pm that they showed yesterday at 5pm. They’re a class act.

At least you knew the answers to all the questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 G10B

There is a transmission issues here.
    Your TV is set with audio description on. Turn this option off & audio will return. This is just a work around assuming you're not visually impaired.

The actual problem is with Saorview transmission.

This was incorrectly setup on TV3/TG4 (by rtenl/2rn) for years.
    The nar channel is not an alternative to the eng audio channel. nar audio should be added to the eng audio by the receiver/tv.
    As the nar audio channel is silent it clobbers the eng at the moment as its setup to as an alternative language audio stream.

An email to 2rntech@2rn.ie with description of issue should get it sorted... (It took a while but they fixed it before)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

mikeym wrote: »
    At least you knew the answers to all the questions :D

They’re showing the same episode yet again, 9.30am Friday morning. Crikey.

They’re showing the same episode yet again, 9.30am Friday morning. Crikey.

It will be repeated at least 6 times within the next few months no doubt.

The 5pm episodes of Tipping Point are repeated the following day at 9.30am.
    The 4pm episodes of Tipping Point are repeated on Sat and Sun afternoon.

They like to eke out every last bit of their programme rights.

Eggheads was due to start on VM2 on Tuesday, but was replaced by Britain's Brightest Family (repeats)

Eggheads was due to start on VM2 on Tuesday, but was replaced by Britain's Brightest Family (repeats)

What is with that, didn't they do the same with pointless at one point.

What is with that, didn't they do the same with pointless at one point.

Pointless had a few false dawns, but they did eventually air about 80 episodes from a series that was first broadcast on BBC 4 or 5 years earlier - and some questions were so out of date.

They're extending the News @ 5.30 to an hour from tomorrow. That means that The Six OClock Show will air at 6.30 instead for an hour.

Pointless had a few false dawns, but they did eventually air about 80 episodes from a series that was first broadcast on BBC 4 or 5 years earlier - and some questions were so out of date.

They're extending the News @ 5.30 to an hour from tomorrow. That means that The Six OClock Show will air at 6.30 instead for an hour.

So they are moving Emmerdale to 7:30?

So they are moving Emmerdale to 7:30?

Yep, Emmerdale at 7.30 and Corrie at 8.30 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

ITV/UTV continue to have Emmerdale and Corrie at 7 and 7.30pm on those nights.

• Advertisement

Can someone explain how VM manage to have absolutely terrible Skype connection for every guest they talk to? I understand connectivity is based on network connectivity. However, no other station I've broadcaster I've watched during this lockdown has had terrible quality on such a consistent level. They generally get good picture and send quality, whereas it is absolutely piss poor every time on VM.

Advertisement