Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 5 "First of His Name": *HAVE* read the books

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Interesting stuff. I thought poor old Ser Jorah was looking a bit wrecked, Danys storyline is becoming boring on tv, hopefully they inject it with something juicy soon.

Poor old Poderick, setting dinner on fire, bless him, he has a good heart, but he is dim! I think Brienne will be good for him.

Interesting that Arya is still naming the Hound aloud as on her list, she needs him right now, she wouldnt survive long without his protection.

Great to see the Nights Watch finally do something other than stomp about in the cold practising being soldiers. I was not expecting Locke to go so suddenly. And this means that Bran CAN warg into people and totally control them!! Or at least people of Hodors mental capacity. Poor Hodor, he was frightened to see the blood on his hands.

Good to see one of Crasters daughters helping out in the fight too, very Terminator like when Jon Snow thrust the sword out through his mouth!

Wasnt expecting Rast to go the way he did either, thought there were wights or something coming for him them whoosh, it was Ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah cersei & iron bank was more cersei being clueless than broke.
    Also one thing really annoyed me was when Sansa said 'I'm a virgin' I was like 'No you're a MAID' get the lingo right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Here's a preview for next weeks episode http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4555JFLZuA and it looks like a good one. Jaysus we're past the halfway point already, doesn't time fly...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Liam O wrote: »
    The fact getting to the eyrie is portrayed as being so easy is another annoying thing.

To be fair, Littlefinger made a point of stating how secure it is. But I would have liked even a short sequence of their ascent to the peak, it was one of the more memorable images from the books for me.
    hussey wrote: »
    Also one thing really annoyed me was when Sansa said 'I'm a virgin' I was like 'No you're a MAID' get the lingo right :)

Kinda bothered me as well. Some of Arya's lines when her and The Hound when they were brought in by the farmer and his daughter seemed a bit out of place too.

Not a big issue but an unnecessary 'modernisation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

No Coldhands :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Cersei playing roles masterfully -

1. faking alliance with Margery / Mace, common bond - Joffrey was cruel, tommen is good.

2. being "the good child" to Twyin, agreeing to a marriage for Tommen and herself, echoing his sentiments about family legacy while reminding tywin that she still is with him while her brothers are not.

and 3. the calm but bereft relative of a murder victim and mother to a daughter to Oberyn (himself a father of 8 daughters).

Three judges all to quietly influence.

Before she unleashes her claws!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

A lot of mention of Cat in this episode. ;)

Arya reminded us of the brotherhood as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If we only found out one thing this episode, it's that Lord Baelish knows where to put his Littlefinger:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

A lot of mention of Cat in this episode. ;)

Arya reminded us of the brotherhood as well.
    Arya also started doing her water dancing again and talked of Braavos. She'll be heading off soon I think.

Is there anyone on her list that herself and the Hound could have a run in with? Strikes one off her list and the Hound gets injured. Where is the Mountain these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Ser Meryn is the best fighter in the Seven Kingdoms. Can't believe The Hound would put him down like that.

Ser Meryn did a good job shutting Sansa up, the whiny little *****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

25 minutes until first break. Makes a nice change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Ser Meryn is the best fighter in the Seven Kingdoms. Can't believe The Hound would put him down like that.

Ser Meryn did a good job shutting Sansa up, the whiny little *****.

Where are you getting that Ser Meryn is the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Arya also started doing her water dancing again and talked of Braavos. She'll be heading off soon I think.

Is there anyone on her list that herself and the Hound could have a run in with? Strikes one off her list and the Hound gets injured. Where is the Mountain these days?

I heard we'll be seeing the mountain actually committing the atrocities we hear so much about before his duel with Oberyn. I can't remember where I heard it so I can't be certain if it's true but if it is they're gonna be some fúcked up scenes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Where are you getting that Ser Meryn is the best?

I am most definitely joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still No Brown Ben, The Seconds Sons have been mentioned a few times, hope we see him soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Would Dany go f*ck herself. Coming across as a smug arrogant b*tch in the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Next week looks like the mutts nuts. Serious book diversion for those adverse to spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Thought the John Aaryn reveal should have been done better. That for me in the books was a "F*CK!!!" moment. Had to take time and digest it all when I found out Littlefinger had basically set the whole thing in motion!! Thought they kind of rushed it here.
    The whole Pod and Brienne comedy act is wearing a bit thin for me as well. Going all over the shop with his horse..hmmm..bit too benny hill . And the fact that Brienne was basically going at crawling pace when she was talking about heading for the wall. Eh..you'd want to hurry up there love!!
    Overall not a bad episode. Wonder what they're gonna do with the whole Hound/Arya thing...how are they gonna tie that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Still No Brown Ben, The Seconds Sons have been mentioned a few times, hope we see him soon.

There is no Brown Ben in the show. Daario owns the 2nd sons.

They merged the 2 or 3 sellsword companies Dany recruits outside Yunkai into just the 2nd Sons.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this going forward.

Maybe they'll have Quentyn with the Windblown and they'll be the company Jorah and Tyrion approach outside the wall of Meereen after the death of Qaggaz (or whatever his name is).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bloody show is starting to piss me off, reminds me of Harry Potter movies, they left out a guy called Mundungus Fletcher, he had a few bit parts in the early books but played a very important role in the later ones, he was cut out of the films but brought in at the end all got very messy.

One thing I missed on the shows here was Vargo Hoat and his lisp, betting that is why he was left off, seeing the mountain butcher him on screen would have been good. The guy loyal to Bolton that Hodor/Bran killed wasn't the same feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bloody show is starting to piss me off, reminds me of Harry Potter movies, they left out a guy called Mundungus Fletcher, he had a few bit parts in the early books but played a very important role in the later ones, he was cut out of the films but brought in at the end all got very messy.

One thing I missed on the shows here was Vargo Hoat and his lisp, betting that is why he was left off, seeing the mountain butcher him on screen would have been good. The guy loyal to Bolton that Hodor/Bran killed wasn't the same feel.

The Hoat one is a strange one, was there a need to change his name to Locke and send him to the wall, seemed a bit pointless I wonder does he play a bigger part in the book, all We have is hearsay he's dead.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The Hoat one is a strange one, was there a need to change his name to Locke and send him to the wall, seemed a bit pointless I wonder does he play a bigger part in the book, all We have is hearsay he's dead.
    They changed the Harrenhal stuff and created scenes for Tywin/Arya, which had a knock on effect for other characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Oranage2 wrote: »
    all We have is hearsay he's dead.

Jaime sees his head in Harrenhal.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

This episode seemed to be focused on undoing all the book diversion that happened last episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

One thing I missed on the shows here was Vargo Hoat and his lisp, betting that is why he was left off, seeing the mountain butcher him on screen would have been good.

Didn't he die from his wounds after Brienne bit off his ear when he tried to rape her? I remember hearing somewhere (probably here in fairness) that GRRM made them change the name as the character was so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Cheers I've forgot quite a bit.

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Didn't he die from his wounds after Brienne bit off his ear when he tried to rape her? I remember hearing somewhere (probably here in fairness) that GRRM made them change the name as the character was so different.
    His ear got infected but that's not what killed him. When the mountain returned to Harrenhal he kept Hoat alive but cut off pieces of him, like his hand, feet, arms, legs and feed them to the other prisoners. It was a slow, painful death.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Overall not a bad episode. Wonder what they're gonna do with the whole Hound/Arya thing...how are they gonna tie that up?
    They'll probably have a run in with bandits or something and the Hound gets injured. Arya better not give him the gift of mercy though or readers will have an absolute fit at another theory being spoiled by letting us know for certain what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Jon and Ghost reunion. "I missed you boy" :):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    His ear got infected but that's not what killed him. When the mountain returned to Harrenhal he kept Hoat alive but cut off pieces of him, like his hand, feet, arms, legs and feed them to the other prisoners. It was a slow, painful death.

Yuck, I'm glad we're spared that vision of loveliness...

Advertisement