Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 5 "First of His Name": *HAVE* read the books

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Accents never bother me.
    Though often wonder is there some Wire watching ultra pedant from Maryland complaining how Bunk is supposed to be from West Baltimore yet the actors accent is clearly from the posher East Baltimore 5 miles away, or suchlike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Blay wrote: »
    Catelyn's influence I would imagine..Bran was her baby, lot of southron influence on the younger ones. Robb would have been under Ned's tutelage same with Jon for obvious reasons.
    Catelyn wouldn't have an influence on their accents as she is just one person in Winterfell. Plenty of people have one parent who has a different accent but the child will have the accent of the local area it grows up in.

The accents don't bother me. It's only a little thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Catelyn wouldn't have an influence on their accents as she is just one person in Winterfell. Plenty of people have one parent who has a different accent but the child will have the accent of the local area it grows up in.

I'd disagree, I've friends with English mothers and Irish fathers that have lived in Ireland since they were about 2, and all of them and their siblings have completely English accents. I know GoT is fiction but just trying to make a point :P

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I'd disagree, I've friends with English mothers and Irish fathers that have lived in Ireland since they were about 2, and all of them and their siblings have completely English accents. I know GoT is fiction but just trying to make a point :P
    And on the other hand I've friends with an English mother/parents and their accents are pure Irish, which is the norm. And these were all kids who were raised by their mothers. In the time of GoT, Catelyn would not be the main caregiver. The nannies and Septa's would've spent more time looking after the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The actor who plays Aemon Targaryen is 92 now :eek:

I really hope they shoot the scene with him and Sam on the boat ASAP, and have it saved for next season. It would be a real shame to lose out on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

The actor who plays Aemon Targaryen is 92 now :eek:

I really hope they shoot the scene with him and Sam on the boat ASAP, and have it saved for next season. It would be a real shame to lose out on it.

Imagine being 92 and playing the scene of an old man dying...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Imagine being 92 and playing the scene of an old man dying...

And imagine being the person who has to say this to the 92 year old actor:

"Umm..you know that scene where you die that won't air for another year? Well..want to film it now..just in case you..um..you know."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Couldn't they patch him together with cgi or some such the way they did with Tony's mam in the Sopranos? Although those scenes looked fairly shyte, especially looking back on them now.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    And imagine being the person who has to say this to the 92 year old actor:

"Umm..you know that scene where you die that won't air for another year? Well..want to film it now..just in case you..um..you know."
    Completely off topic but for his age, he is doing incredibly well. When I was a child a retired couple moved in beside us and basically became our surrogate grandparents. Both were lovely and had the type of relationship that is very rare. The wife (I'll call her Ann) and the husband (I'll call him John) had very traditional roles in that she raised the kids and he was the breadwinner but for the times they lived in, they were very progressive.

They had three kids and at one stage Ann got so sick that she was confined to bed. John took time off work and took over her role. He had never cooked a meal or ironed a shirt in his life but he was determined to learn so that Ann could focus on getting better. It might not seem like such a big deal now, but back in the 40's/50's when men who became house husbands was considered sissy behaviour, it was something he did simply because he loved his wife and kids and he didn't want anyone else looking after his family. It was assumed that Ann would simply rely on the help of other females but John put the foot down.

All throughout their married life, John was the driver (Ann never learned). Even if they were just going to the shop, John would always hold open the car door for Ann. He drove them everywhere right up until he was in his late 80's and it was only when he had to give up driving that the reality of getting old hit home.

Ann is now in her late 80's and John in his early 90's. When I was a child I spent a lot of time in their house and have great memories. As I got older and moved on with my life I saw them less but I still enjoyed visiting them. I was home at christmas and for the first time it really hit home how old and fragile they are. I gave Ann a big hug but John didn't recognise who I was :( He is very hard of hearing and sight and needs help with walking. Once Ann told him, he remembered me and I was able to talk to him as long as I spoke slowly, clearly and kinda loud.

Sorry for the rambling but hearing how old "Aemon" is brought that memory to the fore and for some reason I was compelled to share it. I think that living to your 90's and still having your mental capacities, while not having your physical capacities but still having a loving family around you is the best achievement in life you could wish for.

For someone as old as Aemon to still be alive and working as an actor is phenomenal. He still has the mental and physical resilience to cope with filming. I'm sure the director does everything in his power to make the scenes Aemon has to shoot as comfortable as possible but he still has to learn lines and act (which he does very well).

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion that because of Aemon's age he is likely to die before the rest of his scenes can be filmed. For his age and what he is still doing, I reckon he is one strong man and he still has a good few years left in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Couldn't they patch him together with cgi or some such the way they did with Tony's mam in the Sopranos? Although those scenes looked fairly shyte, especially looking back on them now.

Poochy died on his way back to his home planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The accents don't bother me. It's only a little thing.

Talking about elocution lessons etc. being southron things like that would matter to her.

Talking about elocution lessons etc. being southron things like that would matter to her.
    I don't think it would. Women accepted that they would marry outside their comfort zone. I think women were more preoccupied with ensuring the survival of their children then they were with ensuring their children had the same accent as them. Catelyn was born a Tully but she raised her children to be Starks. There are numerous references to how Cat had to adapt to her life in Winterfell but there is nothing to suggest that she tried to instill any of the Tully ways of life in her children and this would include her accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Sansa I can understand but Arya's supposed to be salt of the earth, who spends her time hanging around stable hands and cooks and butchers boys. I know it's just a little thing but it bugs me when they take such pains over details of costume and set but ignore something like this that should be cheap and easy to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I don't think it would. Women accepted that they would marry outside their comfort zone. I think women were more preoccupied with ensuring the survival of their children then they were with ensuring their children had the same accent as them. Catelyn was born a Tully but she raised her children to be Starks. There are numerous references to how Cat had to adapt to her life in Winterfell but there is nothing to suggest that she tried to instill any of the Tully ways of life in her children and this would include her accent.

Ned had to build her a sept when she came so she did have an effect on Winterfell. The family had a septa etc. It's not about instilling her accent on them, she would have been overseeing that they learned to speak 'correctly'. Etiquette etc. is a lot more important to people from the south.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that the Stark children would have married southerners just as Rickard had planned for his own children. No harm having them schooled in the way things are done outside the North. You can see the difference in Ned/Catelyn's approach even in the books and the show...Catelyn was on at Arya to wear dresses, act correctly etc. whereas Ned doesn't seem to be into all that and gets her a teacher to train her in arms as soon as they're away from Catelyn, she would have had a stroke at that.

You can see a similar situation in how Mark Addy played Robert. He used his own accent but I think that was the right decision because I don't think Robert was the type of guy to spend time learning how to speak correctly in his youth. They played into that with Stannis correcting Davos' grammar in 'Blackwater'..he was Robert's opposite even in education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Sansa I can understand but Arya's supposed to be salt of the earth, who spends her time hanging around stable hands and cooks and butchers boys. I know it's just a little thing but it bugs me when they take such pains over details of costume and set but ignore something like this that should be cheap and easy to get right.

Yeah, some of the actors make an effort and it shows. Ygritte in real life has an ultra posh voice, which would never work. Hound has a heavy scottish brogue etc

It's a tv show. They all have different accents because all the actors come from different places. It's nothing to do with Catelyn's influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

mrkite77 wrote: »
    Great, thinking about Sanderson and now all I want is for HBO to start on a Mistborn series.
    And to do it before Maisie Williams is too old to be cast as Vin...

Advertisement