Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Surprising is, because I would expect Dark Souls 1 to do really good, so devs can do their own souls game again. when I hear one of the big 3 funding some devs for a game, I usually think that game was good, but did not do well commercial way for publishers dip in to it again.
    Unless Sony did "Titanfall" on MS ass....
    I believe Namco funded the development of Dark Souls so From would have walked away with just their royalties from such a deal. While the game did well, relatively speaking, I doubt the deal was so generous as to completely fund another title without external publisher involvement.

Furthermore, with the studio consisting of two teams, having the larger of the two be fully funded for a few years while also getting access to some great engineers on Sony's side to help with the development of your new engine probably seemed like a great deal too.

Obviously it's impossible to know for sure but that'd be my guess at least. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    I believe Namco funded the development of Dark Souls so From would have walked away with just their royalties from such a deal. While the game did well, relatively speaking, I doubt the deal was so generous as to completely fund another title without external publisher involvement.

Furthermore, with the studio consisting of two teams, having the larger of the two be fully funded for a few years while also getting access to some great engineers on Sony's side to help with the development of your new engine probably seemed like a great deal too.

Obviously it's impossible to know for sure but that'd be my guess at least. :)

Well, it was odd to see, but somehow I have a good feeling, that this will work out well. As far as I understand, they got the main dude responsible for demon souls and Dark souls 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Does look decent from what we can see. Defo would be picking it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the only reason they're not releasing it for pc is they don't want their precious "next-gen" console games being shown up once again by five year old pc hardware

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes, because mere tech envy is the primary motivator when it comes to any and all console exclusives :pac:

Also: 'they'?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

the only reason they're not releasing it for pc is they don't want their precious "next-gen" console games being shown up once again by five year old pc hardware

I'm sure anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows this.

I'd imagine Sony know this too, so, I wonder if the real reason it may not be released on PC is because they want to sell more PS4s.

Just a thought.

Well, it was odd to see, but somehow I have a good feeling, that this will work out well. As far as I understand, they got the main dude responsible for demon souls and Dark souls 1?
    That's an interesting one actually. Hidetaka Miyazaki, the Game Director from the Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1 was made company president earlier in the year and at the time it was said he was working on another game. That game may in fact be Project Beasts. As to his continued involvement in the project since then? Who knows. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Or they want the profit from a project they're funding? Who pays for something to be made and then goes and puts it on a competing platform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Think Godwin's law needs to be redefined to PC vs Consoles these days the way every other thread is starting to go around here :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    That's an interesting one actually. Hidetaka Miyazaki, the Game Director from the Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1 was made company president earlier in the year and at the time it was said he was working on another game. That game may in fact be Project Beasts. As to his continued involvement in the project since then? Who knows. :o

Aye, thats what I though too. He said, that he wont have anything to do with Dark Souls 2 ( well, sort off ), but still working on other project. I loved DS2, but it felt more of a filler as it did came out only on old gen, now it becomes even more obvious.
    I presume this is a PROPER souls game we waited for and it looks freaking amazing already. I just hope we will get more info on it at E3 and it wont be TBA or 2017 launch :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

F1ngers wrote: »
    I'm sure anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows this.

I'd imagine Sony know this too, so, I wonder if the real reason it may not be released on PC is because they want to sell more PS4s.

Just a thought.

That's pretty much the only reason games are ever made to be exclusive with current generation tech, so they sell the system they're on. Sony fund FromSoft's game with the condition that it only releases on their platform. FromSoft save money on production and publishing costs, Sony get sales for their system which earns them back their investment and then some. They both benefit - but the consumer (me, you, everybody)doesn't, whether you have a PS4 or not. The only other time games are exclusive is from very specific target demographic or the development team is Japanese and don't know how to develop on anything other than whatever they're used to (Nintendo handhelds, Sony devices etc). Demon's Souls was expected to be a niche market (and in ways still is) and was also developed by Japanese development team AND wasn't expected to sell very well, hence why it only appeared on one console and never even got a western release until they realised there was a larger market for it than they expected (something that Sony didn't catch onto until now).

€510 is too much money for one game for me so I'll be missing this one, sadly. I'll just have to move on to other games - FromSoft's publishing goals are no longer in line with what I want as a consumer, simple as that. Unless of course it's multiplat... which is extremely unlikely.

€510 is too much money for one game for me so I'll be missing this one, sadly.

€510?
    PS4 = €400, Project Beast = €70(ish)??

Where did you pull €510 from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

€510?

PS+ maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

That's pretty much the only reason games are ever made to be exclusive with current generation tech, so they sell the system they're on. Sony fund FromSoft's game with the condition that it only releases on their platform. FromSoft save money on production and publishing costs, Sony get sales for their system which earns them back their investment and then some. They both benefit - but the consumer (me, you, everybody)doesn't, whether you have a PS4 or not. The only other time games are exclusive is from very specific target demographic or the development team is Japanese and don't know how to develop on anything other than whatever they're used to (Nintendo handhelds, Sony devices etc). Demon's Souls was expected to be a niche market (and in ways still is) and was also developed by Japanese development team AND wasn't expected to sell very well, hence why it only appeared on one console and never even got a western release until they realised there was a larger market for it than they expected (something that Sony didn't catch onto until now).

€510 is too much money for one game for me so I'll be missing this one, sadly. I'll just have to move on to other games - FromSoft's publishing goals are no longer in line with what I want as a consumer, simple as that. Unless of course it's multiplat... which is extremely unlikely.

Shame about Chaos;Child, Mystereet F, and Psycho-Pass coming out on the Xbox One, besides Mystereet they would have been great PS4 titles, not to mention the amount of great niche titles that ended up on the PS3 and interesting titles on the 360 as well.

From Software have big money behind them now due to being taken over by Kadokawa Corporation whom have no real preference when it comes to what platforms their games come out from and do not really push exclusives ( although this can change ), but with From Software they do want to crack the western market and see them as their flagship brand for their very hit and miss development/publishing department.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

€510?

I'd assume this game would have constant online interaction like all the Souls games since and would therefore need PS+

400+60+50=510

€510 will get you one year of Project Beast assuming you want to play online or for that long, or more if you want to play it longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

What do we think?

Have to say from the trailer didn't really get a massive Souls vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What do we think?

Have to say from the trailer didn't really get a massive Souls vibe.

20 sconds long in fairness.

I am firmly of the view that Dark Souls 1 was better than Demons in almost every way possible - a real masterpiece.

I am still playing Dark Souls 2 but I probably prefer that to Demons too..

Bascially...I am hoping that there is not too much regression with Demons Souls 2 apart from maybe harder bosses etc.

We probably need to get the title changed now to Bloodborne and it will be a PS4 exclusive due to SCE Japans involvement.

Bloodborne is the cover story of this week's Famitsu, and there's an interview with Miyazaki in it as well. Here are some details reported by a Japanese blog who got the magazine early.

- Spring 2015 release window
    - They started work on this right after finishing Artorias of the Abyss, planning it for Sony's new hardware
    - The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities
    - The expected spec for the game is 30fps at 1080p
    - The keywords for the game is "blood" and "beast"
    - There will be melee and long range weapons (guns) this time
    - Character customization is confirmed
    - There will be no map display in the game
    - He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element
    - The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle
    - There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together
    Introducing Bloodborne, the latest Action RPG from renowned Japanese developer FromSoftware, exclusively for the PlayStation®4 system. Face your fears as you search for answers in the ancient city of Yharnam, now cursed with a strange endemic illness spreading through the streets like wildfire. Danger, death and madness lurk around every corner of this dark and horrific world, and you must discover its darkest secrets in order to survive.
    A Terrifying New World: Journey to a horror-filled gothic city where deranged mobs and nightmarish creatures lurk around every corner.
    Strategic Action Combat: Armed with a unique arsenal of weaponry, including guns and saw cleavers, you'll need wits, strategy and reflexes to take down the agile and intelligent enemies that guard the city's dark secrets.
    A New Generation of Action RPG: Stunningly detailed gothic environments, atmospheric lighting, and advanced new online experiences showcase the power and prowess of the PlayStation(R)4 system.

Hello, PlayStation fans. This is Masaaki Yamagiwa from Japan Studio.
    I am here to talk about a new Action RPG, Bloodborne,...

More...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/10/bloodborne-coming-exclusively-to-ps4-in-2015-new-details/#sf3256567

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I said this already on the E3 thread but I would much prefer if the game was 720p 60 fps than 30fps. I find resolution to be hard to notice at times but I can most certainly feel a game thats 30fps and 60fps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I said this already on the E3 thread but I would much prefer if the game was 720p 60 fps than 30fps. I find resolution to be hard to notice at times but I can most certainly feel a game thats 30fps and 60fps

what fps was dark souls? was it 30 or 60? either way I loved it, and have no doubt I will love this game too with a nice graphic update and hopefully some darksoul/demonsoul gameplay style
    fps at 30 won't really matter, only times most people would notice a 30fps would be in fps games like cod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

This. I don't understand console devs obsession with making the game as beautiful as possible but sacrificing FPS. Dark Souls 2, Black Flag and Dragons Dogma are 3 console games that spring to mind. Both Black Flag and Dogma I stopped playing early into each game because the FPS was unbearable

This. I don't understand console devs obsession with making the game as beautiful as possible but sacrificing FPS. Dark Souls 2, Black Flag and Dragons Dogma are 3 console games that spring to mind. Both Black Flag and Dogma I stopped playing early into each game because the FPS was unbearable
    Because it's a reaction to the obsession of the wider gaming audience to pretty things rather than things running at 60fps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hamhide

I can't wait for this, souls game or not, if its coming from fromsoft then its going to be crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Soulwrite

60fps does make most games feel more responsive and tighter compared to 30fps. I would say today 60fps is required by most games and resolution should be traded for it to a point. While resolution can certainly help immersion music and pacing also are factors, but with regards to responsive button pushing game optimization and frame rate does play more of a role.
    Having it as a timed exclusive does seem to make the most sense, allowing them to make PS4 seem an even sweeter deal, and lure people to get a console who can't wait for it to release on other platforms. After 4-6 months they could release a PC version, hell they could even try and release a PS4 controller compatible with the game on PC. They have plenty of options to get money out of the game whist still making PS4 alluring to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Is it a Souls-esque game without the name does anyone know? I'll be buying it either way, and a PS4 to play it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

as long as the framerate doesnt hit blighttown on xbox360 levels...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

First gameplay footage, albeit a cam and very short.

One of the guys from Gametrailers were talking about the above walkthrough they saw, the guy seems very excited about it haha! Check it out here.

• Advertisement

Some more info.
    Hidetaka Miyazaki, director of Demon's Souls, the original Dark Souls and the upcoming Bloodborne sat down with Japanese gaming mag Weekly Famitsu to talk about the new game.

http://kotaku.com/there-are-guns-but-from-softwares-bloodborne-wont-be-a-1589789228

Advertisement