Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What evidence of Gerry Adams' IRA membership do people need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Their track records would suggest otherwise.
    Ohh - what a zinger! What would Gerry Adams' personal track record with cover-ups of sex offenders suggest to you then?
    Yes they will as they did before with these cyclical get Gerry allegations. If only Maria had stated her case and left it at that, she would now be better off.
    Her strident calls for Adams to be the biggest villain of the piece will be her un-doing I think.
    Gerry attracts cyclical allegations, because he's unfortunate enough to have the skeletons in the cupboard to point to. Kind of hard to blame anyone, but himself for that. It's not for you or I to tell Cahill what she would be better off doing. She's the one who's been raped and shafted by her party - so I'm pretty sure she's given the matter more thought than either of us. Her 'undoing'? Do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I believe that this story has been deliberately circulated by people whose only desire is to draw attention away from the fact that, when IRA/SF learned that I had been raped by a senior republican volunteer, they forced me into a brutal investigation against my will before engaging in a systematic cover up to silence me and members of my family.

She, by not recognising the police, was involved in covering up her abuse herself. Why would the IRA or SF have anything to worry about from somebody who wouldn't go to the police and give evidence?

I could possibly believe IRA intimidation was an issue whenever she had her Paulian conversion to recognising law and order. Even in 2010 she was a member of a group who refused to recognise them as legitimate.
    Her story is all over the shop at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

She, by not recognising the police, was involved in covering up her abuse herself. Why would the IRA or SF have anything to worry about from somebody who wouldn't go to the police and give evidence?

I could possibly believe IRA intimidation was an issue whenever she had her Paulian conversion to recognising law and order. Even in 2010 she was a member of a group who refused to recognise them as legitimate.
    Nothing in your posts bears any relation to any public information or facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

For someone who claims not to do victim blaming you sure do blame the victim a LOT!

For someone who claims not to do victim blaming you sure do blame the victim a LOT!

Wanting questions asked of her is not victim bashing. And I am not questioning her claim to have been raped. Merely pointing out that when she 'names' somebody then proof has to be supplied because somebody's good name and right to a defence is being thrashed.
    The frequent SF bashers don't have a problem with that, as per usual.

Try alleging something about the activity of the British and it's a different story though...that HAS to be proved. Joke politics as per usual.

• Advertisement

Wanting questions asked of her is not victim bashing. And I am not questioning her claim to have been raped. Merely pointing out that when she 'names' somebody then proof has to be supplied because somebody's good name and right to a defence is being thrashed.
    His right to a defence is completely unhindered.

Because it's a claim that has no merit.
    Try alleging something about the activity of the British and it's a different story though...that HAS to be proved. Joke politics as per usual.
    Feel free to move on, if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If you were accused of rape would you just say nothing and hope the accusations went away or would you have your accuser in court for defamation/slander? His silence on the accusations of rape against him speaks volumes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

She, by not recognising the police, was involved in covering up her abuse herself.

You are really plumbing the depths of victim blaming by suggesting that rape victims who for whatever reason don't report their own rapes are covering up abuse.

Let's remember what she actually said about reporting her rape to the RUC: she was ordered by the IRA not to tell anyone, not even her parents. And when she was planning to go to the RUC, she said the IRA threatened to let her rapist 'loose' on her.

If you were accused of rape would you just say nothing and hope the accusations went away or would you have your accuser in court for defamation/slander? His silence on the accusations of rape against him speaks volumes imo.

Ah here we go with this man now. If I don't sue therefore I am guilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

What are you on about?

Happyman, if you are setting yourself up as a defender, you need to know what and who you are defending.
    Gerry Adams tweeted, whilst in the middle of a child abuse scandal about fragrant penis1s.
    I dont know what he meant either, but its creepy as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Tragedy wrote: »
    Didn't see this posted here:

See the underlined bit for an explanation of Fr Ned's posts today.

Was she or was she not a member of the RNU?

MouseTail wrote: »
    Happyman, if you are setting yourself up as a defender, you need to know what and who you are defending.
    Gerry Adams tweeted, whilst in the middle of a child abuse scandal about fragrant penis1s.

Do you know who Michael Harding is?

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Was she or was she not a member of the RNU?

Basic comprehension alert!

He quoted a piece by Michael Harding in relation to something else entirely.
    Are you an adolescent giggling because somebody mentioned penis? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

He quoted a piece by Michael Harding in relation to something else entirely.
    Are you an adolescent giggling because somebody mentioned penis? :rolleyes:

What was it in relation to, do you think it was appropriate??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Taking this back to the original op.

Any sort of evidence would do, but that seems unlikely.

What was it in relation to, do you think it was appropriate??

To a joke about his own 'kip'. Gerry is tweeting away on many subjects, Michael Harding is a regular contributor to Irish Times (I think). Is it appropriate for the Irish Times to publish it in the same edition as a rape story?

Sorry, take that as a rhetorical question, I ain't wasting my bank holiday answering on this one.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Taking this back to the original op.

Any sort of evidence would do, but that seems unlikely.

Evidence to convict him in a court? Unlikely alright.
    Evidence to demonstrate his membership outside a court? Ample.

LOL:rolleyes:

These anti-SF lads actually believe in kangaroo courts.
    The rule of law means nothing to them.

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    LOL:rolleyes:

These anti-SF lads actually believe in kangaroo courts.
    The rule of law means nothing to them.

No kangaroo court required - just the application of standard critical faculties. People don't generally need a court to tell them that something that walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and hangs out with all the other duck, is probably a duck alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Regardless of whether he chooses to sue or not, it is a given that she has named somebody as a rapist, without that claim being tested in a court of law, which she had the opportunity to do, but declined.
    It was her and her alone who short circuited this man's right to defend himself. And that is wrong even if it does turn out he is guilty.
    Would you like it if somebody did it to you, is the simple test.

No Happyman, you can't have it both ways.

Either Mairia Cahill gets the benefit of being innocent until proven guilty like everyone else or else you use your judgment to decide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

alastair wrote: »
    No kangaroo court required - just the application of standard critical faculties. People don't generally need a court to tell them that something that walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and hangs out with all the other duck, is probably a duck alright.
    Are you talking about Cahill and dissident Republicans here?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Are you talking about Cahill and dissident Republicans here?

Nope. But then I don't buy into any spin about her 'dissidence' in any case. She seems to have not changed her political outlook from the time she was a poster girl for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

she admitted herself she was aligned to a dissident group.
    Nope. But then I don't buy into any spin about her 'dissidence' in any case. She seems to have not changed her political outlook from the time she was a poster girl for SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

maccored wrote: »

No she didn't, she stated that the group wasn't dissident at the time.

Why are you lying?

Tragedy wrote: »
    No she didn't, she stated that the group wasn't dissident at the time.

Why are you lying?

What has the RNU changed in it's political philosophy since forming in 2007?
    RNU is determined to design our own contribution to the struggle for Irish freedom using whatever tactics are required to ensure the social and economic liberation of the Irish people.

maccored wrote: »

Did she say that she shifted her political beliefs from those she held within SF?

Did she say that she shifted her political beliefs from those she held within SF?

IN 2001- 2005 SF where not;
    determined to design our own contribution to the struggle for Irish freedom using whatever tactics are required to ensure the social and economic liberation of the Irish people.

maybe that is why she left - to find a party that would 'use whatever tactics are required'? Although why a person who, in her own words, 'was always against violence to achieve a political aim' would leave a party who had just enshrined that principle to join one that was less than clear on what they where prepared to do is a mystery, even to little old me.

Warrants a question or two from our legions of concerned journalists, does it not?

IN 2001- 2005 SF where not;
    When she was a poster girl for SF?
    maybe that is why she left - to find a party that would 'use whatever tactics are required'?
    Given that this is contrary to what she has said her relationship with the group, I'll have to call straw man argument there.
    Although why a person who, in her own words, 'was always against violence to achieve a political aim' would leave a party who had just enshrined that principle to join one that was less than clear on what they where prepared to do is a mystery, even to little old me.
    Now I'm going out on a limb here, but maybe that party's role in her interrogation, and subsequent cover up of her rape, might have had some bearing on the decision? Did anyone in the GNU rape her, or subsequently cover it up?
    Warrants a question or two from our legions of concerned journalists, does it not?
    Good thing it's already been covered, reported, and answered, then eh?

• Advertisement

Given that this is contrary to what she has said her relationship with the group, I'll have to call straw man argument there.

Oh yeh, she is a victim and I can't question what she says. I forgot! :rolleyes:

Now I'm going out on a limb here, but maybe that party's role in her interrogation, and subsequent cover up of her rape, might have had some bearing on the decision? Did anyone in the GNU rape her, or subsequently cover it up?

Maybe, if she had joined the ICA or something or even no group at all. But to join one that 'would use whatever tactics neccesary'?

Good thing it's already been covered, reported, and answered, then eh?

I have read her statement on this, but I haven't heard her questioned on it...link?

Advertisement