Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

very shocked and disappointed to realise this was the last week for the women's island. it never really seemed to get started then suddenly its over. they're there 6 weeks and make their first shelter/bedding 3 days before they leave!???? is that right??

I feel overall it was an anti climax of a series. Not enough big personalities or clashes. week six and I only actually recognise maybe 4 f
    of them. It needed more villians.

In hindsight they obviously had feck all material to stretch over the six weeks if what they showed was the best!

Seemed to be a very cute blonde woman behind the camera most of the time and rarely saw her. Think she might have been wearing a black bikini most of the time. Maybe was just edited to show a couple of people all of the time or else the others contributed little

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Good to see Sam's fishing net work.
    Hopefully it will end their dependence on Vic and more of the men will call him up on the bollix that he comes out with.

Anyone else notice how the men seem to always be collection loads of firewood, which looks like hard work.
    But on the women's island you never see them putting in hard work to collect firewood.
    The fire just seems to amble on by.

I also don't like the portrayal that the women were super successful.
    Sure they were doing well by the end.
    But if the production team hadn't intervened twice, then they would have had to have been taken off the island for their own safety.
    And I still don't understand how the vegetarian lasted 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Good to see Sam's fishing net work.
    Hopefully it will end their dependence on Vic and more of the men will call him up on the bollix that he comes out with.

Anyone else notice how the men seem to always be collection loads of firewood, which looks like hard work.
    But on the women's island you never see them putting in hard work to collect firewood.
    The fire just seems to amble on by.

I also don't like the portrayal that the women were super successful.
    Sure they were doing well by the end.
    But if the production team hadn't intervened twice, then they would have had to have been taken off the island for their own safety.
    And I still don't understand how the vegetarian lasted 6 weeks.

She was in leisure land altogether coconuts are damn expensive.
    I missed the part about the tins of beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

To be fair to Vic he has a lot of energy and he brings home the bacon (I mean fish). The others really look up to him. But he could be be a much better leader if he wasn't so full of it. The I'm honest working class Yorkshire grafter, you are a dishonest lazy southern toff 'argument' was just plain ridiculous in the context of the Island.

All in all I love the show, people come out of very well (for a change) and it does illustrate a lot of stuff we take for granted. While I look forward to an other series I fear they are going to cast some real aseholes (with staying power this time) or they are going to have a mixed island. The latter could be OK but could ended up being presented as a string of cliches and stereo types.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

Seemed to be a very cute blonde woman behind the camera most of the time and rarely saw her. Think she might have been wearing a black bikini most of the time. Maybe was just edited to show a couple of people all of the time or else the others contributed little

It really seemed that the 3 camera women didnt get a look in. They spoke a bit to the camera now and then but there weren't really around or so it seemed.

This might be down to the others didnt get great footage of them on their go-pros.

Each group seems to have their own stars with leading roles supporting roles and finally tiny roles. I thought in this sense the women group was well distributed. and we got to know alot about all members but like I said the camera women were always in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

The final episode from the mens island airs tomorrow night (Wednesday) at 9pm and then on Thursday at 9pm we have Episode 13 - Bear Grylls: Surviving The Island, Bear meets the men and women who made it through six weeks on a Pacific island, to see how they coped battling hunger, thirst, and each other, in one of the biggest tests of their lives

Forgot to mention there is an American version of The Island starting on May 25th! NBC will air the 6 episode series.

11149336_1457980457825870_1771694422443215352_n.jpg?oh=c042bae6d0d2d2104ab9ff60b680d0cf&oe=55FCBB1C

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I know it wont be as good and will probably be an encyclopedia of fake American reality show cliches but Ill take it, thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The last 30 minutes of the female island appeared to be an exercise in channel 4 feminism and seemed rather suspicious they went from near death to thriving in a flash, having said that it does appear that the secret to eating well on these islands is to master fishing particularly the net fishing once you have a descent meal(+ water) every day the rest of it is just organizing the camp,.

I have a feeling that in order to drive home the feminist point we will see in the last episode of the men's island have the place descend into lord of the flies or some sort of epic failure prior to bear turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Why didn't the men continue to set traps for kamen and crocodiles? Since they did catch one..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Why didn't the men continue to set traps for kamen and crocodiles? Since they did catch one..

But the species of Caimen that they caught were endangered and the producers didnt realize they were on the island so i think they might have been told to stay away from them.

Did they catch one in a trap or was the American alligator just lying there when they were checking the Cayman traps?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Thargor wrote: »
    Did they catch one in a trap or was the American alligator just lying there when they were checking the Cayman traps?

the Caimen was caught in one of their traps

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I know it wont be as good and will probably be an encyclopedia of fake American reality show cliches but Ill take it, thanks! :D

'The British' actually come out quite well of the british one. Maybe the Americans will too if they resist the temptation to cast a bunch of opposites. Chances are someone be accused of 'not being a good American'. I hope two American characteristics you don't always see on reality TV come to the fore good manners and a can do attitude.

What's the American Yorkshire? Texas?

Episode one of the American version is out now, men only no womens team, supposed to be off to a good start.

Episode one of the American version is out now, men only no womens team, supposed to be off to a good start.

what channell is that on

Ummm, I think you'll be waiting a long time to see it on any channel...

gotya

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm normally quite good at getting my American cousin to send me over the recordings but I can't seem to get in touch with him. Have you seen it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Meanaspie

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm normally quite good at getting my American cousin to send me over the recordings but I can seem to get in touch with him. Have you seen it yourself?

The pirates must have gotten hold of it on it's way across...

• Advertisement

Pretty dramatic episode 2, Im liking this so far, preview for next week looks intense...

Pretty dramatic episode 2, Im liking this so far, preview for next week looks intense...

Yeah I'm liking the US so far. They were all very American initially, going on too much about their feelings and emotions, but that veneer was quickly eroded as it started to get tough.

That young guy that left was an absolute nut job. It's mad how quickly people's body's breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah I'm liking the US so far. They were all very American initially, going on too much about their feelings and emotions, but that veneer was quickly eroded as it started to get tough.

That young guy that left was an absolute nut job. It's mad how quickly people's body's breakdown.
    Tbh he was a nut job from the start!

He had a big scar on his skull from a motorbike accident, there was a guy who looked a lot like him in my town when I was a kid who was in a coma for a while after cracking his skull years ago on a motorbike aswell and he turned into a nutjob with the exact same loud and aggressive mannerisms as that guy, he used to go around cursing at people and kicking doors in until he committed suicide.

The guy who didnt want to lose his dignity in front of his kids didnt really get his wish, you could tell the camermen are really part of the production crew rather than contestants the way they said fcuk that when told not to film it. It was a bit lame cracking up like that after 48-72 hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

He had a big scar on his skull from a motorbike accident, there was a guy who looked a lot like him in my town when I was a kid who was in a coma for a while after cracking his skull years ago on a motorbike aswell and he turned into a nutjob with the exact same loud and aggressive mannerisms as that guy, he used to go around cursing at people and kicking doors in until he committed suicide.

The guy who didnt want to lose his dignity in front of his kids didnt really get his wish, you could tell the camermen are really part of the production crew rather than contestants the way they said fcuk that when told not to film it. It was a bit lame cracking up like that after 48-72 hours though.

and he after putting himself out there as the leader...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Argghh the American one is muck.
    All action and drama with pumping music right from the off.
    Colours turned up to 11.
    Fast food TV basically.

mikom wrote: »
    Argghh the American one is muck.
    All action and drama with pumping music right from the off.
    Colours turned up to 11.
    Fast food TV basically.

I was expecting it to be worse so I'm not that bothered with Americanization of it.

You're right about the colour though! None of this sending them in during the rainy season nonsense like the Brits got!

I have to say I've found the American Island far more watchable than I anticipated. Needlessly over dramatic with the promos, music and overblown colours but some of the men are genuinely likable and interesting to watch. Three men gone with just over a week on the Island passed, one with quite a serious injury too.

I loved how they reacted to catching the endangered turtle in the fish nets, the mouth to mouth resuscitation was pretty surreal.

well that American version limped home to a very dull conclusion. Just like most american survival shows it focused on trying to pitch lame drama between the contestants instead of focusing on their food and shelter like in the UK version but everyone was so hungry and tired it was just a big pile of nothing.

The British version was way more dramatic, they were actually suffering and trying to survive, this one they just lounged around until it was time to go home...

• Advertisement

It's back! Season 3;

10580265_464734503715973_7649066115144344091_n.jpg?oh=476ed74437c2b1f115a367055505dbcd&oe=5798A779
    The show returns for a third outing on Monday 28th March at 9pm. In the new series, 8 women and 8 men are abandoned at opposite ends of the island and must swim to shore to find water and set up camp.

Can they survive when stripped of all the luxuries and conveniences of 21st century living? Will they be able to access the skills of their forefathers and find the hunter-gatherer within? And what will they learn about themselves when life as they know is stripped back to its basics?

Advertisement