Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ha, I thought they were doing something with the sand as a form of protection!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

It would be better I'd they explained in detail somewhere what exactly they were all allowed to bring in terms of toiletries, clothes etc. There is obviously quite a lit going on in the background that isn't explained like the medics getting constant updates etc. I don't know why this is hidden as it in itself is quite interesting as to how the whole thing is organised.
    I would also like to see a bit more detail of what the daily chores entail and the progress they make in creating their camp. I see the women now seem to have a table but it was never mentioned? Can't believe they haven't even made beds yet! They are really only hanging on as opposed to being able to survive indefinitely on their island.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It would be better I'd they explained in detail somewhere what exactly they were all allowed to bring in terms of toiletries, clothes etc. There is obviously quite a lit going on in the background that isn't explained like the medics getting constant updates etc. I don't know why this is hidden as it in itself is quite interesting as to how the whole thing is organised.
    I would also like to see a bit more detail of what the daily chores entail and the progress they make in creating their camp. I see the women now seem to have a table but it was never mentioned? Can't believe they haven't even made beds yet! They are really only hanging on as opposed to being able to survive indefinitely on their island.

I suppose it's all dependent on what they film. It's hard to tell a story if there's no footage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Addle wrote: »
    Do they have toilet paper?
    They must have toiletries. I haven't.noticed any hairy pits.

I was thinking too,that they must supply toiletries,especially with women and time of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

pooch90 wrote: »
    I was thinking too,that they must supply toiletries,especially with women and time of the month.

You couldn't be dealing with periods out there.
    I'd run on packets of the pill or something to defer it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Addle wrote: »
    You couldn't be dealing with periods out there.
    I'd run on packets of the pill or something to defer it.

Just with Jaime talking about PMT it had me wondering. Not all of them could be on the pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

They have no periods since househero got up on all of them......
    househero wrote: »

If you left me on an island with women... Even ugly old ones. They would all be leaving pregnant. And I would be fighting the other men for dominance. #itsNaturesWay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Is it not on tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

moleyv wrote: »
    Is it not on tonight?

Nope, Election coverage instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Am finding this very hard to believe...one lads a waster, then he comes good, saves the day....déjà vu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

hmmm call me cynical but very convenient they all suddenly decided to collect the previously frowned upon nets as a group effort on the one occasion it happens to be full of fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

The fish were alive, if they were planted by the crew they'd be dead

Holy crap, that was nasty!!

Lucky thats all it was, could have done some serious damage to himself.
    He's going to look back and think WTF was I doing!

deco nate wrote:
    The fish were alive, if they were planted by the crew they'd be dead

no no I don't mean they were planted ..... I mean the situation regarding them all suddenly helping to check the nets was done cause they'd obviously found it full earlier and concocted the whole ' oh lets all go pull them in ' bit for a feel good telly moment.

no no I don't mean they were planted ..... I mean the situation regarding them all suddenly helping to check the nets was done cause they'd obviously found it full earlier and concocted the whole ' oh lets all go pull them in ' bit for a feel good telly moment.

Ah got ya :) I thought the posh lad swam out to check the nets saw the fish, then went back to camp and got them to help. Knowing it would be a huge pick me up for the camp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I know it has its issues but I look forward to this programme more than Survivor or Game of Thrones or Mad Men etc, and we get a double helping of it every week, it has to be renewed for a third series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Thargor wrote: »
    I know it has its issues but I look forward to this programme more than Survivor or Game of Thrones or Mad Men etc, and we get a double helping of it every week, it has to be renewed for a third series.

+1 , everyone in the house looks forward to it every week.

They were actually quite mean to Sam today. It seems like they are all happy to criticise but more than happy to accept food when it comes their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Vic annoys me. Can't stand his prejudices against anyone who isn't working class. Class wars annoy me at the best of times, but they're on an effing remote island and currently going through the same gruelling experience - who cares what side of the tracks someone is from. Also, as much as brawn and hard graft is indeed an important element in such a situation, the complete disregard for someone using their brains and intellect to at least attempt to make life easier for everyone is disheartening. Was glad that there was 21 fish there, because Sam deserved that moment for being attacked because of his background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I felt that the editing of the sunset scene was also odd.

There was rain in the camp and everyone bar Sam was working - he was standing looking at the sunset on his own. It just felt that two separate times were edited together to make it look like Sam was faffing around.

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I felt that the editing of the sunset scene was also odd.

There was rain in the camp and everyone bar Sam was working - he was standing looking at the sunset on his own. It just felt that two separate times were edited together to make it look like Sam was faffing around.

Well spotted, I've pointed this out before, it definitely is a case of selective editing to flesh out a "story".

Vic's a mouthpiece, every time he's challenged on something his response is "did I say that?", the other lads are doing well not to tear his arguments to pieces at times.

Lucky find, two large tins of beans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

A bit too lucky if you ask me!

It all turned out fine in the end and they had all the food in the world. I missed the last ladies episode but mrs seafields said it was good but some fishermen turned up gave them a fish?! Suspiciously good ending BUT very enjoyable program overall. I'm going to miss my weekly Lauren viewing ;)

Vic annoyed the crap out of me last night. He went from one of the most enjoyable characters to one of the most draining.

Bear said "if I came back in 6 months the women would still be here".. Yeah, 11 skeletons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

Women got heir **** together finally, how they hadnt addressed sleeping arrangements until that stage though is insane, they didn't really progress at all until the end.
    I go through a cycle of loving and hating Vic each episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭PIORUN

Very suspicious about the final days in the women's island. Baked beans really took the biscuit

very shocked and disappointed to realise this was the last week for the women's island. it never really seemed to get started then suddenly its over. they're there 6 weeks and make their first shelter/bedding 3 days before they leave!???? is that right??

I feel overall it was an anti climax of a series. Not enough big personalities or clashes. week six and I only actually recognise maybe 4 f
    of them. It needed more villians.

In hindsight they obviously had feck all material to stretch over the six weeks if what they showed was the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Vic annoys me. Can't stand his prejudices against anyone who isn't working class. Class wars annoy me at the best of times, but they're on an effing remote island and currently going through the same gruelling experience - who cares what side of the tracks someone is from. Also, as much as brawn and hard graft is indeed an important element in such a situation, the complete disregard for someone using their brains and intellect to at least attempt to make life easier for everyone is disheartening. Was glad that there was 21 fish there, because Sam deserved that moment for being attacked because of his background.

Vic, who is as far as I can see is the moneyed owner of his own business strikes me as the type of boss who can't resist lecturing his under motivated employees on "'ow it's dun right". He probably takes particular pleasure in doing this to 'posh' students working for him. I can just see him grabbing a sweeping brush off me and and grafting away for five minutes then giving it back say with some patronising remark. Like anyone could maintain that kind of enthusiasm on minimum wage 40 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Bear said "if I came back in 6 months the women would still be here".. Yeah, 11 skeletons

10 skeletons. Lauren would have constructed a raft, sailed back to the UK, caught and killed bear and had him for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Vic's comments to Sam were just stupid. He had a chance to air his problems with him and instead going with something constructive like, "My problem with you is that you do Fvck all work that needs to be done, instead you just wander around wasting time on stupid things." he went with the bizarre class argument. It only showed up his own prejudices.

I thought the full net of fish at the end was a bit too Hollywood, not doubting it actually happened, but it just seemed very contrived.

Bears narrative that it was so dangerous for them to be wasting time and energy on it didn't help either.

In hindsight they obviously had feck all material to stretch over the six weeks if what they showed was the best!
    I think that was probably one of the biggest problems with the show. I'd say that they have so much material to trawl through and a lot of it is just nonsense. They have to try and create a narrative from it and I'd imagine that can be quite difficult and is probably the reason for what would seem like strange editing at times.

The women really annoyed me this year and I don't like the way it ended with them being portrayed as amazing survivors when they were a total disaster for most of it.
    Really frustrating that they decided to make the beds and make a proper camp with only a few days left. All the way through I thought they didn't do the basic of things because they just weren't capable of doing it, turns out they were just too stupid to do it early on. It took them 3 weeks(?) lying on an insect invested beach to realise this? :rolleyes:

I don't know why they made such a big deal about having a leader, they just needed to have a meeting every more and agree to tasks.

All that said, it is great entertainment. :)

Advertisement