Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

bren2001 wrote: »
    We don't know how it finishes so it is a bit premature to think they won't get their act together. However, I do agree based on what we have seen. It would be interesting to see two islands with maybe 10 men 4 women and another with 10 women and 4 men to see how the group dynamics change. Although, I would expect just an evenly mixed island.

Will bear provide sheepskin condoms?

If you left me on an island with women... Even ugly old ones. They would all be leaving pregnant. And I would be fighting the other men for dominance. #itsNaturesWay

On Naked and Afraid, the camera crew would leave them at night. One man, one woman and only spooning for warmth. Do you think they provided the pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

househero wrote: »
    Bear actually said the yukka was not native and was put in the island. Odd if they didn't put the same on the blokes island. Maybe they just didn't spot it.
    Did he really say that? I thought they were very particular about what was on the Islands this year after the set up allegations of last year. As a result I think it's only native plants and animals.

Burning protein from internal organs and raised heart rates are some serious side effects of their terrible attempt of survival. Somebody could easily collapse or worse. Their weight loss couldn't be further from healthy or sustainable.
    Oh I know how dangerous it is to approach weight loss in such a way, but I've seen enough people go on that ridiculous C9 diet to know how stupid people get when it comes to losing weight.

Next year, I expect them to be wearing wireless medical monitors like rugby players. And watch them get pulled when they become at risk. The production team can't afford to cause serious harm (or death) they would be negligent.
    They have Doctors on each island monitoring the contestants and they have satellite phones to call for help if needed.

Do those rugby monitors not just track distance travelled along with impacts?

Can't this thread be moved to after hours?
    You've just answered your own question with your next reply! ;)

If you left me on an island with women... Even ugly old ones. They would all be leaving pregnant. And I would be fighting the other men for dominance. #itsNaturesWay

On Naked and Afraid, the camera crew would leave them at night. One man, one woman and only spooning for warmth. Do you think they provided the pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think if we were on the island together, there would be a lot of complaints. I would kick the sh i te out of the pig before I let my dinner run off. I would not go hungy, but the vegans would not be amused #realsurvival

I think the girls hesitation wasn't fear of the pig... But of what people would think if them!

I don't agree with that I have to say, I'm not a fan of what I see as needless slaughter of animals for the sake of a tv show but to give the girls their credit that pig was more hostile and fierce than the piglets.
    It also shows the effect of groups, some of the girls held back and it affected even the "braver" one Lauren. The second time round they had an organised plan and it was in clearing rather than through scraggly branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

God Vic went from one of my favourites last night to the worst one there. His big reveal about the fish he'd caught and his "Three cheers for Vic!" statements were pure cringe.

Funny that none of the others can catch a single fish though, the rods seem to be just a rope on a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

razorblunt wrote: »
    With the move to Wednesday next week I wonder are they in fact going to pull the plug for real?

Election coverage next Thursday so only one show I'd imagine and there's more drama with the women's next episode.
    With any luck, by the time we get back to the men Vic will have been eaten by a whale that he 'almost' caught.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Will bear provide sheepskin condoms?

More like.... After the first day the potter and the nurse would have you hanging from your wrists and ankles on the pole as the carried you towards the fire.

#LeisuresuitLarry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Oh Dear - just watching last nights :(.

I was a little bit cross that having caught the pig, they left it there caught to go and "have a chat about it".

Then the "Right gals, you go left, you go right, I'll grab its legs ..... Oh Fcuk!"

I don't like killing animals but they deserve a bit of dignity FFS.

That one that had to go because of her back - it was just beyond the wit of everyone to make some sort of bed!

And setting the net was totally useless.

pooch90 wrote: »
    Election coverage next Thursday so only one show I'd imagine and there's more drama with the women's next episode.
    With any luck, by the time we get back to the men Vic will have been eaten by a whale that he 'almost' caught.

Ah christ, of course the election and I live here and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭bren2001

And then they go and cut the head off and I presume leave it behind. Pigs cheek, pigs ears, pigs nose I'm sure if you were starving

The head was in the bucket with the snake. They didn't leave it behind. Regardless, they will never be able to eat the full pig, they have nowhere to store it during the day.

I feel the women get a harsh time on this thread. While they are bad, they are not as bad as some are making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

bren2001 wrote: »
    The head was in the bucket with the snake. They didn't leave it behind. Regardless, they will never be able to eat the full pig, they have nowhere to store it during the day.

I feel the women get a harsh time on this thread. While they are bad, they are not as bad as some are making out.

There pretty bad to be fair.Being happy they lost weight while infact they where starving says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just started watching and caught up with this over the past couple of days on the recommendation of someone in the Survivor thread... Thargor, possibly (I'm too lazy to go back and check)...

Anyway, it's really entertaining. Some interesting characters on both Islands, but Lauren is easily my favourite of the lot (even if she was part of the group who walked around in circles for 4 days) - something about a woman who can bring home the bacon... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

All the women have the squits- Bridesmaid's II coming up

So the ladies decided to use their only jerry can with a lid to store the leftover pig meat. They cooked it even though it appeared to turn, then the spent the next day getting the ****s, with one girl crapping her pants.
    The other two jerry cans have no lid and they had to bin that rancid one.

Meanwhile some of them spent most of the afternoon pre dinner sunbathing.

Ankle fishing came very close to paying off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is Lauren more talk than action?
    I know she killed the pig, but the others caught it.
    Maybe it's just the editing, but she seems to talk about doing stuff more than actually doing stuff.

You'll always have selective editing, I guess, but yeah, she did the killing rather than anything. I think, in fairness though she sees herself contributing as a member of a group rather than looking out for herself which the Scottish lass just admitted too.
    Also at least she called things out in the open rather than being passive aggressiveness like that girl with the childlike voice.

Yes I'm really bad with names!

Also at least she called things out in the open rather than being passive aggressiveness like that girl with the childlike voice.

She's very annoying.

Why can't they just clean out the other jerry can?

They've just been given the cheatsheet and told to go get it.

You'd have thought that a few boils of seawater would have gotten them out of the mess or at least closer to a better situation.

Lauren gets lucky and makes a big fuss. I'm wary of her!

John West just happens to be passing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Why the hell does no-one make a bow and few arrows ? Unless I'm after missing something.

I'd be shooting everything that moved if I was in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

This is island they live on pearl islands
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isla_Gibrale%C3%B3n
    In gulf of panama only a few kilometres from major luxury homes and resorts on the bigger islands just off panama canal trade route maybe 60 k from panama city
    Thic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Fair play to justeat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

You couldn't make half of the stuff on the ladies island up.

Only took them ten days to realise they needed that other jerry can.

It's the lack of bedding I still can't get my head around. When they had to de-tick each other last night the closeup should one ladies' hand completely covered in bites.

You'd have thought that a few boils of seawater would have gotten them out of the mess or at least closer to a better situation.
    I was shouting the same thing at the TV. What exactly do the think the reason is for boiling all the other water?

It's just basic stuff, but they are making a total balls out of everything.

Mezcita wrote: »
    You couldn't make half of the stuff on the ladies island up.

Only took them ten days to realise they needed that other jerry can.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories generally, but I'm starting to think that this is all a set up. They are fecking useless. It takes a warning that they're all gonna die unless they get the finger out from the producers before they start to actually do stuff. Idiots.

Like how long did it take them to find the Yucca once they stared to look for it? Didn't look like it took much effort either.

Just watching last night's.

"I feel like we've been stupid to sit out in that heat."

Wow - do you think:rolleyes:. If they were children someone would phone social services.

Some of them must have done "management games" in the past. They need a leader, even if its on rotation.

It's the lack of bedding I still can't get my head around. When they had to de-tick each other last night the closeup should one ladies' hand completely covered in bites.

Do they have toilet paper?
    They must have toiletries. I haven't.noticed any hairy pits.

Addle wrote: »
    Do they have toilet paper?
    They must have toiletries. I haven't.noticed any hairy pits.

Do they have sun tan cream? Some of the women tend to redhead / very pale skin. Yet no one seems bothered in the slightest about sitting in the sun for a few hours.

Do they have sun tan cream? Some of the women tend to redhead / very pale skin. Yet no one seems bothered in the slightest about sitting in the sun for a few hours.

The men definitely do as I've seen clips of them applying it.

It would make sense to ensure that they have some protection as it would open the producers up to future claims of neglect.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The men definitely do as I've seen clips of them applying it.

It would make sense to ensure that they have some protection as it would open the producers up to future claims of neglect.

Yes I saw some of the guys apply it too assuming the women have also

Advertisement