Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

The new crime boss guy Viktor does have a cringey accent as mentioned - found him familiar: he was the policeman in Shameless.

Wonder why they're making all the villains Serbo-Croat/Polish.

Ryan was a bit of a cheeky little smartarse all right, but not massively so - nothing more than expected for a lad who's lost his mother (and father) and his uncle and grandfather avoided him for a good while (which was horrible). I think it was implied that Catherine worried how he'd turn out in the future, given his bloodline (it was particularly driven home to her in light of Susan Lynch's character's son, if you remember that storyline).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I was just thinking about the uncle and grandad ignoring him. I know they came round eventually, but he basically grew up without a strong male presence in his life. And given how close Claire and Catherine are, it makes sense that Neil is kind of the most constant presence for Ryan over the last few years. Makes you wonder, if the Grandad and uncle had been as much a part of Ryan's life as Catherine was, would he even be that bothered about his dad now?

Yeah the way his uncle and grandad blamed him in relation to his mother until he was eight or nine was one of the things I found most brutal in a very brutal show.

Actually my friend's oldest boy's father is a complete p.o.s. Has never ever wanted anything to do with him, but the young lad's stepdad (absolute gem of a man) has been in his life since he was very small, and he's not bothered about his biological father - maybe he will be eventually but he's 20 now, so he's doing well. Very well adjusted, level-headed young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,901 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

James Norton was on The One Show on BBC this evening. I've never seen him in anything but Happy Valley (never even heard of him before I saw it), and the difference between him and the character Tommy is absolutely head-wrecking!! I still can't quite wrap my head around it!!

• Advertisement

Yes he's a most pleasant chap. And a wee bit posh. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 85,410 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Anything's possible. I remember seeing Daniel Craig in Our Friends in The North back in 96. It was about a group of friends, and how their lives panned out over thirty years. Daniel Craig's character ended up looking like a 50 odd year old long haired rough looking junky. I never imagined that he would ever be James Bond.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think McMafia felt like an audition for it tbh...and he was really good.

I put a tiny bet on James Norton being the next James Bond years ago, and Paddy Power actually paid out on it for some reason. I think it was around the time Craig was supposed to be finished, but then he ended up doing another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

That was brilliant tonight, so much going on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Why would they pay out on a bet that you hadn't won?

I have no idea. It was literally about €5 or something tiny like that. I'm not a frequent gambler so I've no idea why it happened, but it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

^^^Surely security would have been tighter in the court because TLR was already a prisoner? Was there a reason he didn't remain in handcuffs for the duration of the hearing? I'm not familiar enough with the law here or in uk to know what's "normal", but considering his history, I felt security was inappropriately lax. But perhaps deliberately lax in order for the storyline to work?

Sarah Lancashire is brilliant, that's a given. 2 episodes left...

It's a police drama. You can't take it that seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

What? You mean...it's not real?

It has always been believable for me until now. (And if I remember correctly, security was tighter when he attended his mother's funeral in the 2nd series.)

Episodes 3 and 4 have taken place over the space of a couple of days. So I'm guessing episode 5 will be Wednesday, and episode 6 will be Thursday, which is also Catherine's last day on the force.

Two possible endings I've got are, the bad one, retiring police officer doesn't make it to retirement. Or.... the last thing Catherine does as a police officer is put Royce away for good, or kill him 😄 I can't see her deliberately killing him, but Sally Wainwright has said that there's a definitive ending to the series. So I think the end of TLR would be a more acceptable ending for the viewer than the end of Catherine.

I'm not sure how she'd do it but it would be great if they had some kind of showdown and he actually admitted all the things he did to her daughter. And either she records it and gets to arrest and charge him for it, finally, or, at the very least Ryan finally gets the truth and once he's arrested and back in jail, doesn't want anything to do with him anymore.

The harsh way Catherine is treating Claire makes me think Claire will be killed off without things being ironed out between them - cue a lifetime of guilt for Catherine on top of everything else. It's that kinda programme unfortunately.

@TICKLE_ME_ELMO - "definitive ending" usually means death. :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Catherine Cawood is the Jack O'Neill of the West Yorkshire police. I fear for how many more 'Catherine is right' moments we're gonna get. You can stick your misplaced dogooding and..!

Wankatron?

The brief moments of little girl in the Hepworth family are still so sad. They pack so much into an hour, particularly in how much people tend to present themselves to the world. The leaving do dilemma was some welcome relief. Ryan, lad, please see sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭cml387

When they walked into thehouse you were thinking "that little girl will be the first to see her mother dead". But no, that would be too obvious. There was another twist in the tale.

I guess it depends on what you think the show it about. I've been thinking rather than it being a case of Catherine vs Tommy in the literal sense, it's more about the figure of Tommy hanging over their lives since Ryan was born. Catherine trying to protect Ryan from him, both literally, and from knowing the full truth of what he did to Becky, has been the running theme since S1. So if that was the case, for me anyway, a definitive ending would be Tommy back behind bars and Ryan willingly cutting all ties with him.

But we shall see.

I heard them reference that, but can't remember actually seeing it in the show myself.

Final episode will air the night before the new public holiday - sweet!

That would be a lovely happy ending, but it's not that kind of show! But you may be right, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Tracking Joanna's phone will lead police back to the house. Husband doesn't (yet) know it's still there in the kitchen. I knew the minute the cop mentioned the garage that something was significant in there.

The scene in the traffic was superbly done, very realistic. Did the pharmacist's daughter film some of the row between her dad and Rob?

The 2 guys starting the row at the Courthouse were like Dingles starting a fight in Emmerdale, very am-dram.

I think the point about how it may end up between Claire and Catherine could be on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭cml387

It doesn't look too good for Mr Teacher:

• History of controlling behaviour towards wife.
    • Seemed in agitated state e.g. after fender bender(didn't our pharmacist friend seem a very cool character all of a sudden)
    • Slow to report his wife missing
    • Wifes body hidden in suitcase in garage😮

I think Faisel, who seems to have gone from bumbling idiot to master criminal overnight, will use the traffic incident to implicate Rob. Presumably there'll be house to house done, he'll say they had a run in that morning, he seemed agitated, the daughter's recording of it will back him up.

We still don't know what the forensic results on the drugs will bring up. I know they conformed it was whatever Joanne said it was, but Faisel made a big deal about the blister packs being traceable. I assume that will be his undoing eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think this could be a good shout....I still maintain, there is something off about Catherine's colleague...could she throw a spanner in the work.

It seemed a tad far fetched with the escape (I dreaded it going the OTT way of line of duty)...surely he would be handcuffed in the dock...the lock down failing...seemed a wee bit far fetched (but then again seemingly as someone posted it happened before..but this fella is a murderer..Catherine's boss raised concerns).

I am guessing Catherine guessed Ryan was at the trial...if not it would have been a two minute job to call the school and check.

I definitely fear for Claire above anyone else tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's more of a people crashing into each other affair.

How much of this can be proven? Aside from Joanna's parents and Catherine's observations that she was vulnerable.

Faisal was very calm, given what's on his conscience. I wonder if the gang will get him first.

Advertisement