Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

Just an aside: wasn't the fender bender the teacher's fault as he didn't have his eyes on the road? And he's arrogant enough to pretend it's someone else's.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah, I think that was the point. It was showing even more of his character there. He's so arrogant and used to bullying people into submission, usually women and children, that he thinks he can do it in all situations. I think that's why he didn't mention the suitcase to the police too. You could see him notice it while the officer was still there, but he's so full of himself that he probably assumed it was Joanne hiding stuff to make it look like she'd left or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Faisal is in a very good position now, especially since his persecutors Pebbles and Bam Bam are most likely going to be charged with aiding and abetting Tommy Lee's escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

I think the lock on the fridge door might not help the teacher. The cop noticed it while they were talking. I assume they'll have specifically trained officers to speak to the children and they could learn a lot about his bullying and violent behaviour at home.

Still not sure why Catherine's colleague was shown to be so interested in the lab results.

I wonder if she's been buying medication from Faisel too? They mentioned in the first episode how Claire's support group were seeing more and more people addicted to prescription drugs. Maybe there's another tie in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very good shout...she has been jittery and nervous

Any idea why the little girl won't take off her coat? Eating disorder?

I saw a comment from someone on another forum or elsewhere that it relates to her experience growing up in an abusive home. Apparently keeping the coat on is a recognised behaviour children develop, as if trying to have an extra layer to protect themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Could it be that they were simply trying to set up her recognising the name when her parents came to report her missing.

That's very possible. I find with Happy Valley that a lot of the theories people come up with are overthinking things a bit. I do it myself, and then laugh when the show goes for the most obvious thing, but does it really well. It's something I appreciate about it actually, how "simple" it keeps things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Very interesting, sort of like the way people who have been through a very traumatic experience can often become hoarders, and try to insulate themselves from the outside world, by filling there homes with newspapers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Dare I say that tonight's episode was slightly underwhelming? Know its building to the finale but found it a bit slow

There's an awful lot of stuff to tie together in the final episode

Missed the first 10 minutes, can anyone give me a brief recap. I saw from where Catherine was having a go at the alien guy outside Hepworth's house. What was that about? Did Hepworth call the police himself? And did they show Catherine finding out about TLR's escape?

Catherine's reaction to Royce's escape was uncharacteristically toned down. I was looking forward to her hitting the fking roof, buoyed up by her anger at the alien thing, and upset at Joanna's death.

It was a bit of a different episode all right. I have to fast forward some Royce bits. Can't handle the evil bastard. What a brilliant actor James Norton is.

Awful cruel rant from Ann to Ryan - talk about driving him into Royce's arms. And awful cruelty from Catherine to Claire too.

I feel like Anne's rant might be what saves the day, in a weird way. She definitely shouldn't have done it in that way, but as smart as Ryan is, I don't think be ever really realised the extent of Tommy's actions, and the impact they had on his family. Him realising how much Catherine really has done for him, i think, could be what makes the difference in the end.

The thing about the UFO police job was a spoof but that officer took it seriously and applied. He found out it was a joke and now he's complained Catherine and her boss for bullying (I think) and racist behaviour.

We weren't told but it seems like Hepworth called the police himself.

Richard phoned Catherine from Leeds train station as he & Ryan were heading back. Catherine was just leaving the police station going out to Hepworth's house. Her reaction seemed low key alright.

At the train station Ryan spotted one of the guys who started the fight in the courthouse. He took a pic of that guy and he or Richard sent it to Catherine, who identified him as one of the guys driving the hatchback near the house that was raided a few episodes back. Incidentally Anne mustn't have checked the reg of that car, we saw Catherine give the reg number to a CID guy again last night.

Mrs Faisel and daughters may lead the police to him by mentioning the car incident. The CID man said they were looking for the source of the prescription meds Joanna had and lo & behold, here's a local pharmacist living nearby and having a row with the husband (whom police may think knew or at least have suspicions as to her meds were coming from). The car prang and row could make Hepworth look bad but it could work the other way also.

Darius may well be the key player in the final episode.

Thanks for that @Radio5 .

I think you're right about Ms Faisel and the girls too. I think Faisel is going to try to keep out of it entirely, which is suspicious in itself, and if the police can trace the pills back to him, then it'll look even worse. I think the syringe is important too. The little flashes of Faisel in the kitchen showed him throwing it in where Joanne's phone is too, so presumably they'll find that and maybe be able to link it to him too? Not sure a syringe is something everyone has easy access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Fantastic viewing on every level, I was exhausted after watching last night's episode. I think Ryan will save the day and shoot TLR. I think Anne's rant struck home and Ryan realised that the only one who really looked out for him was his Granny. I think he'll go along with Tommy and trick him into thinking he's going to Marbella. There'll be a showdown and Ryan will save Catherine and shoot his Dad. I also think that Claire will overdose and die and Catherine will be wracked with guilt. Just my tuppenceworth.

Funny you should say that. Mrs CML387 fell asleep during the episode and woke up two thirds of the way through. When when asked what she'd missed, I couldn't think of an awful lot. The posters above have supplied great food for thought though.

A lot of wine being drunk in this episode.

Catherine's ex's wife was quaffing one and let Ryan wander off (Catherine's verdict: "you’re a pissed-up, lightweight, empty-headed … noo-noo"), and so was the newly upgraded to CID policewoman who gave Ryan some devastating home truths. I had a glass of wine in my hand at the time as well to complete the set.

It also doesn't look like there'll be a reconciliation between Catherine and Clare. Calre looks completely and absolutely shattered. Even though she doesn't have that many lines it's a masterclass from Siobhán Finneran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That sounds like a good call.

I definitely fear for Clare..

Terrific episode I thought...some great dialogue...Annes rant was brutal..as was Catherine's to Clare, a lot to pack into that last episode but seemingly it is a good bit longer than a normal episode.

It's only about 10 minutes longer.

I think they'll wrap the Faisel/Hepworth stuff up pretty quickly. We saw the detectives prioritise finding out where Joanne was getting her pills last night. Faisel seemed to think that was something pretty easy to do, so I'd assume they'll be onto him right away.

I have no idea how/if they'll "fix" everything between the family, even if Tommy gets taken down and sent back to prison. It all feels a bit too far gone for a quick apology and hug between Catherine and Claire, I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

There was a character in the film East is East who permanently wore his coat with the hood up. He was the youngest child in that mental household. I thought of him when I saw the little girl in Happy Valley.

I've been thinking that for a while too about Claire - although something like that from the series Unforgotten (which features cast members of other Wainwright shows) is what made me think it, and Sally Wainwright isn't one for what's already been done.

But Catherine is so savage to her, it's the kind of show that'd make it come back to haunt her. Overdose - yeah good shout. I was thinking maybe Royce will kill her.

I was just thinking there that there's no way Tommy would go after Claire because he doesn't even know who she is, but then I remembered she only bloody went to see him in prison! So he knows her, and Neil on sight.

I can't see him setting out with a plan to hurt anyone, other than Catherine, and even then he might have listened to Darius and be happy enough just taking Ryan away. I think Ryan will lead him on a bit, or flat out turn him down, or try and talk him out of running, which will be what turns him back towards his vendetta against Catherine.

I can't really see why they'd reinforce that wedge between Catherine and Claire last night if it wasn't leading to something. I'm not sure Wainwright does red herrings, does she?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes I am worried for Claire... perhaps she will get caught in the crossfire? take a bullet meant for Catherine, sacrifice herself? I found last night too much and had to take a break midway. So the young police woman is Catherine's son's partner... took a while for that to drop. Dont you love the music?

Yes, the town's tycoon Nevison Gallagher's daughter, who was kidnapped in series one and abused by Royce, is now a detective and engaged to Catherine's son. Tough lady.

Yeah the music is great. Opening song by Jake Bugg is excellent, and the soundtrack is great - captures the mood perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I loved Unforgotten, much like Happy Valley it was an excellent, 'can't miss', gritty bit of TV viewing. I'm not to keen on dramas that tend to stray far away from the main story line, and resort to fluffing them out with silly romances.

Unforgotten is returning later this year with Sinéad Keenan taking over the reigns. Chris Lang is another very talented screenwriter so it should be good.

It'd be great to see Sarah Lancashire and Nicola Walker working together again, there's some speculation Sally Wainwright is planning some more episodes of LTIH later in the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

3.05. "Slow" - no. It had moments of breathing room - the chat between TLR and the other bloke in the van was one. Very tough episode because again, it's the extent to which people can hurt each other, Catherine and Claire, Ann and her rant and "not wanted" to Ryan (credit to the bloke who plays Ryan re his body language here). It must be wrenching for Catherine knowing her world has been shaken again. Hopefully Ryan's copped on a bit. Talk they've filmed multiple endings, so the cast don't know what's going to happen.

Still, we had the aliens once more and some mid-convo grammar edits, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

Thanks for reminding me of who Nev was..... It is too long ago now since I saw the first episodes. I wonder if Netflix will pick them up now?

Advertisement