Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Yep, I noticed that too, though thats where the comparison stops, he's more Antichrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very solid opening episode of season 3.

The opening section was terrific.

Sally Wainwright is a bit of a genius really let's be honest and Sarah Lancashire is absolutely brilliant as usual she can just convey so much with her face and without saying a word.

I am kind of dreading what might happen to some of the characters already!

Who do we think is taking Ryan to see his dad?....I have a bad feeling it might be Siobhan Finneran and her other half (maybe a reason why she didn't confide in her about it).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Caught up on the new episode tonight. Great to have it back. There's a lot of decent enough shows on TV these days, but within 5 minutes I was reminded of just how far above them all this one is.

Someone mentioned there's a lot going on, some of it kind of confusing, but I remember the previous seasons being like that two. Takes an episode or two for all the connections to be made.

The teacher is vile. I thought JP from Bad Sisters would be the most hated man on TV for a while, but this lad had my blood boiling.

As for who's taking Ryan..... it has to be the sister, right? He seems close to her and her boyfriend, he even told her what the teacher called him but didn't tell Catherine. That'll cause some row, I'm sure. Can't wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Excellent opener, as mentioned, a lot of threads set up and I can't wait to see how they pan out. Sarah Lancashire is fantastic, the exchange with the other woman about being popular was brilliant. In regards to who is taking Ryan to see his dad, I watched this on the iplayer and the showed a previously of the last two series (which I was very glad of). I'll spoiler it in case people didn't see it or it wasn't shown before the live broadcast.

The teacher played by Shirley Henderson, I can't remember what happened to her but it has to be her and some lad. No way is it the sister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Genuinely shocked that it's Claire! Another great episode!

I'm surprised they managed to delay that confrontation for a whole episode. I was expecting Catherine to go ballistic imidiately. I never liked Claire's boyfriend, and him calling Ryan, "our Ryan" when he was on the phone to Claire didn't sit right with me this week either. I'm blaming him for everything!

I've a feeling the PE teacher's going to end up dead and Ryan will get the blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Unbelievably tense last ten minutes.

Great to see Susan Lynch back.

I can't find the spoiler tag at the moment so I can't say much more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This show does several things very well. The anxiety is creates, body language of the characters (shock, horror, upset), e.g. in response to hidden lies and putting people into a bind and opening wounds. A lot of pain is still to come.

Was Ryan a little **** when he was a youngster? I can't recall. The teacher was different in work mode i.e. in front of adults. Line of the episode was from his little daughter, devastating. Followed by Catherine's quips about Ryan's cock and balls graffiti skills which was some welcome light relief and dickheads being a fact of life. 

Post edited by The Black Oil on

The teacher wasn't that different at school, less aggressive maybe, but still a bully. Thought it was interesting what the wife said to Faisel about how the husband gets obsessed with a young lad and tries to break them down so he can build them back up like some kind of inspirational, life changing, mentor. You could hear him in the office saying about Ryan not having a dad. He was caught on the hop when Ryan's granny turned out to be Catherine.

I'm intrigued where that story is going. Is it going to tie in with the drugs/gang stuff. Or is it going to become about Ryan and Tommy?

• Advertisement

The episodes fly. I thought it was about 9.45 last night when it suddenly finished. It is absolutely riveting! Better than Line of Duty, easily.

It has never been implied that Catherine is perfect, but she can be very manipulative.

Wow, what an hour of television. What an opening 10 minutes! Need a cup of tea and a lie down after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭horse7

God I wish they would stream it, riveting.

Why? I love having the old fashioned weekly communal viewing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Whats that teachers game, Is he in some way grooming Ryan for something?

Tommy definitely is.

Poor Joanna was having second thoughts before the pharmacist lost it.

What brilliant writing, directing and acting.

Last week the teacher's wife said he has a habit of picking on a young lad, breaking him down, and then acting like a mentor to build him back up again. She said he gets especially angry at home while he's doing it.

So I was expecting him to start creeping round Ryan, but that scene in the PE hall felt like it had another layer of creepy to it. No idea if he's doing more with the boys or if the actor just played it weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah the wife said that last week so this week's developments seem to follow her theory. I've a feeling he might want to get friendly with Ryan to get back at Catherine also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

You could see that the teacher was behaving as she had predicated, taking on Ryan as his 'problem' case.

The timing at the end, as far as I make out, would mean that the teacher was at school when the crime happened. You'd imagine he should be able to provide an alibi. So they may have to look towards the drugs issue sooner. Joanna did not report him for violence, even though Catherine and I'm sure others knew in their circle knew or suspected what was happening at home.

Strange how Catherine was the only one to notice the car driving around, not once but twice while they were waiting to search the house. Was it the same car that was on the CCTV? if so CID mustn't be all that sharp not to have connected it & the 2 men with what happened in the flat.

It's a tribute to James Norton's skill that I almost feel my flesh crawl when he's on screen.

• Advertisement

I guess it depends on how injecting air kills someone. Does it cause an aneurism or something? They might be able to make a case for him beating her up causing it, even if he wasn't there when she died?

I'd assume he'll be off school now anyway, so maybe the Ryan thing isn't going anywhere.

Not the same car as on the CCTV. That car belonged to the guy they were arresting. The two lads were on the CCTV though.

I was listening to the official BBC podcast for the show this morning and when they were discussing episode 1 they played the clip where Catherine is explaining the dead body to the detectives and they joke that it's probably just a sheep, or an alien lifeform. Catherine replies they get lots of reports sightings of them up this way.

Add that into the weird little joke side plot in episode 3 where the one constable maintained he'd seen lights in the sky or whatever, and I'm wondering if it's actually going to lead to something?

Has he seen the Kinesovic's drugs coming in, or people trafficking, or something dodgy anyway?

I've no idea how actors have the emotional fuel to do this sort of thing, regularly. I did let out an 'oh Jesus' when Catherine insulted Claire's intelligence. Joanna doesn't deserve this at all. This show and putting ordinary people in crazy and horrible situations is just...

The alien liaison thing was good fun. Kept expecting Catherine to say "Hey, Fox Mulder. Shut up!" 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Sarah Lancashire is bloody incredible. Riveting episode yet again.

She is superb. And a long way from Raquel Wolstenhulme (although it was obvious the talent was there even then.)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

I live in Calderdale where Happy valley is filmed,When Catherine said "they get lots of reported sightings of them up this way" I think she is refering to a wellknown ( locally) UFO incident that happened in the 70s involving a PC Godfrey if you google something like "UFO todmorden" it will tell you the full story.

I heard a podcast about it recently (cannot remember where, possibly on BBC sounds). Certainly a very odd case.

I don't for a second believe that Ryan hasn't googled his dad....he would know why he was in prison....he would know he ran over a police officer multiple times killing them....Ann....who he knows (she was at the dinner etc) was beaten close to death and raped for a week...

The accent on the new big bad...is absolutely bloody awful... distractingly so...hope he isn't in it much more...it's a shame.

The dodgy pharmacist storyline is probably the weakest part at the minute..but at least it has kicked up a notch!

The alien task force joke thing..weak as well.

I do think the colleague saw something on Catherine's screen she didn't like...

The main cast are in terrific form especially Lancashire and Finneran.

That is actually a good idea...would make sense putting in the alien thing was for a reason.

• Advertisement

Yes! I had heard about that on an unsolved podcast already - mostly concerned with missing persons or unsolved murders, but one week they featured Zigmund Adamski, the Polish coalman in Yorkshire who disappeared for days and was found dead in weird circumstances. Then the policeman Godfrey had a strange encounter so he tied the two together. That definitely is what she was referring to - Todmorden.

I don't believe in UFOs but the policeman's and the dead coalminer's stories are bloody bizarre.

Advertisement