Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think they were on Netflix for a while a few years ago.

I was listening to a podcast that does weekly recaps on Happy Valley and they had a special this week where they were interviewing the director of the last 3 episodes, Fergus O'Brien.

He said that there weren't multiple endings written and shot. There was only one ending, but only the people involved in the scenes got scripts, and only the crew who were involved in filming those scenes know how it ends. I'm guessing they're all under NDAs too, just to be safe. But yeah, just the one ending written and shot.

He was also taking about how he loves shooting the technical stuff of big action scenes, but also loves when a scene is just a two hander with great actors, and hinted that there's some of both in the last episode.

And then lastly, as far as Happy Valley goes, he said he was watching the final cut of the last episode a few days ago, and he paused it at one point and only 16 minutes had gone past, and he couldn't believe how much they'd already packed in in that time.

So, all in all, very exciting.

It's here if anyone's interested

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes I think they were on Netflix and not to be confused with film of the same name which is still there. BBC had them on their iplayer ... good for people only finding the show for first time and could view it there. I think it was a series that benefited from knowing the early drama.

Yep, definitely was on Netflix.

The lad who plays Ryan is very good I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Siobhain Finneran and George Costigan (Claire and Nev) starred together in a film called "Rita, Sue and Bob too" made in 1987. I'm not sure if it has aged well but I remember thinking it was hilarious. Bearing in mind that it was a long time ago and I probably watched it after coming home from the pub

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091859/

Someone posted something similar a few weeks ago of a scene from S1 where Tommy and the two other guys that were involved in Anne's kidnapping are talking and the younger lad mentions that the rumour is that Gary Gagovski (or whatever his name is) just disappeared but he's wearing concrete underpants in the local lake. I don't know whether she's planned these things all along or was just watching the first 2 series before writing the 3rd and though, ooooh, that's a good one, I'll mention that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Only hours away from the finale.

Some are saying there's a clue in this poster, which shows a fire that hasn't yet been seen in the show.

We're gonna be lighting our own fire, opening a bottle or two and ordering our favourite takeaway.

I was watching something I'd recorded off BBC over Christmas and the trailer for Happy Valley was on it, and I was looking to see if there was any shots we haven't seen yet.

There was one scene of a lot of uniformed police officers running out of the office, putting on their high vis jackets, not sure if that was from the episode where they were going to arrest Josip or something new.

But there was a scene of a silver car, not the little Honda, flying along a country road and into a field, and also a shot of Catherine inside a house with her tazer out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭RossGeller

Yep. It's a house in the countryside on fire. it's Nevison's house, which is where Ryan is staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

F#ck me....I held my breath for large parts of that episode...I also literally have a creak in my neck from the tension of sitting through it.

A really satisfying finale, Sally Wainwright stuck the landing! (Compare and contrast with other shows like line of duty!).

Couldn't really care as much about the b plot with the pharmacist and the PE teacher. Faisal is f#cked thankfully, PE teacher d#ckhead gets locked up.

Sarah Lancashire....give her all the awards already!

Of an action packed finale in parts, the scene with her and Clare in Nev's kitchen and her and Tommy was genuinely utterly brilliant. She ripped him to absolute shreds, outstanding!!!!

Thank feck the main people made it out alive (Tommy - I couldn't give a toss..."a bit of a tussle...I won")

Jesus talk about a busy last day!!!

That was beautifully done. Crikey I couldn't watch that encounter at times. It went on for an eternity.

Not sure what the point of the pharmacist/teacher story was - red herring I suppose.

Anyway, brilliant.

Sarah Lancashire had to be talked into doing a third series (possibly part of the six/seven-year wait). I can see why - imagine how that level of intensity/amount of screen time would affect you emotionally/mentally/physically. She takes acting to another dimension.

I definitely didn't find it as compelling but there are some parallels to the main storyline obviously. Coercive control, abuse, it's affect on kids especially.

Wouldn't have minded seeing that Faisal plonker getting arrested though (obviously it was heading that way, Catherine basically handed him to the police on her very productive last day).

People online pointing out the first episode kicked off with Catherine wearing sunglasses and using a fire extinguisher.

The writing was excellent.

TLR didn't see himself as a villain...there were definitely attempts to humanise him even if he was a "monster".

Very disappointed with the execution of the ending. I know it's fiction but, call for backup woman! Broad daylight break-in to a house with a cop inside. Convenient stone in the field. Then wrapping up the other series plotlines off camera, basically a sentence each devoted and an SMS at the end. Hate to say it but similar to Line of Duty finale - brilliant storyline, characters and tension but fluffed the dismount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I know we're meant to suspend disbelief but not having police outside Catherine's house was a bit nonsensical, also, how the parole officer left her pills at Allison's flat was very convenient

Having said that, the car scene was brilliant and the the confrontation between Catherine and Tommy was amazing, was really well done in how we got to see how deluded Tommy is

I thought she did call for backup?

Tommy was a piece of sh1t through and through. Yeah every so often there were moments where a little humanity shone through, but then he'd go and ruin it all with his arrogance and refusal to accept responsibility for monstrous things, and his idea of himself as the victim.

Obviously the point is that his early life was appalling, and a significant contributor to how dreadful he became, but some people are just innately awful. How far they take that awfulness though, depends on environmental factors. My theory anyway.

I thought that was a perfect ending. I saw a lot of people coming up with all kinds of silly plot twists and end scenarios, but from the start Happy Valley has always been a character driven show, and its always gone for the less dramatic, but equally compelling options, and tonight was no different.

Yes, I was delighted that they didn't go for cheap shockers.

She did call for backup.

The pills thing was believable to me, she had been saying how scatter brained etc her parole officer was.

I agree on TLR, nature versus nurture etc. Even he realised Ryan had a good home, the way she ripped into him was amazingly satisfying.

• Advertisement

She did call for backup. When she went into the house initially she wasn't sure who was in the house if anyone.

The stone in the field thing I will give you but it's very minor imo. It's a field there are stones ha.

I think this is a world away from that absolutely abysmal line of duty ending, it tied itself up in knots plot wise, totally ballsed it.

I was worried that they were actually going to try and humanise him for a minute when he was crying over the albums. But I think in the end they did a good balancing job of making us feel sorry for him but still being clear that he was unhinged and awful. When he said "I forgive you" to Catherine I was relieved that they were keeping him fairly detached from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Baftas for Sarah James Siobhan and Rhys

I meant she should clearly have called for backup before even entering the house which likely had a potentially armed TLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭siblers

She called for back up after she went in, even when she knew someone was in the kitchen, she still proceeded to go on without calling for backup.

They mentioned in the first episode too how Claire's support group was seeing more and more people addicted to prescription drugs, so it's obviously a problem in the area. So not that surprising that another character was using the same supply chain.

Yeah I did think that too. Perhaps she wanted to risk it to confront him.

If she called for backup when in the house..the person in the kitchen would have likely heard her...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A great ending - a whole universe better than Line of Duty!

She did call for backup in the house, she pressed the panic button on her radio.

Maybe she just wanted one last confrontation/conversation with him - she had to have known it would be him in the house. Brave or foolish? Maybe a bit of both.

But the gap between her pressing the panic button and the troops actually showing up was ridiculous - but did allow for that amazing scene between the two of them, so I'll maybe forgive them for it!

It was a great series, the tension I felt watching it every week! I can't remember that sense of stress watching anything in years.

Also the relief that washed over me when Ryan reluctantly started telling the manhunt team about talking to Tommy on the game console.

A right emotional rollercoaster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Great last episode, with a couple of surprises. Great series overall. Very happy I stumbled onto this one a few years ago, pardon the pun.

I was in stitches at TLR & Catherine just shouting "you prick" at each other over the table and giving out about battering each other! Where else would you get it!

Advertisement