Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Joanna mentioned to Faisel that Rob would get obsessed with some lad at school and that's when he'd get particularly violent at home. Ryan also mentioned in the first episode the rumour that he was having an affair with another teacher, but was also gay. And then we saw him take an interest in Ryan when he realised he was having problems at home and was in a vulnerable situation.

I forgot too that they mentioned he was Joanna's teacher when they met, so he's got history with pupils.

Post edited by TICKLE_ME_ELMO on

You said you'd have to be pretty hard hearted not to feel anything for him. I didn't feel anything for him though. Narcissists manipulate people into feeling sorry for them too, and genuinely think they're the victim.

I don't think those saying they felt sorry for him are condoning what he did of course, but they're easily duped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"I think I might have singed one of your crochet blankets"

Gonna miss Catherine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The teacher and the CSA material - hiding in plain sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

The ending scene between Catherine and TLR was exceptional. Acting at its finest.

I felt the Pharmacist and Teacher side stories were odd. The show would have worked without them. It also tied things up too quickly and conveniently at the end. It was like there was an episode missing. It left the following open questions for me;

• Did the teacher just get done for the images on his phone (a very last minute curve ball that seemed too convenient)
    • It was also very convenient for a parole officer to source drugs from the same pharmacist and carelessly leave them at a parolee's house
    • Will the pharmacist get done for the murder. There was no indication of any evidence to put him at the scene of the crime. He may confess but previous scenes saw him with a bit more back bone.

There is also the question about convicting Darius. Is the TLR confession enough? TLR was drunk, high on drugs, suicidal and on the run. I imagine that would reduce any prosecutors confidence in using it.

These open questions and poorly reduced my enjoyment of the ending and of an overall amazing show.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Catherine gave enough information on Faisel to the investigation, for me, that it seems logical he'll get done for the murder. He used the syringe to kill her and then threw it in beside the washing machine in her kitchen. So I assume they'd find that and he's not exactly a criminal mastermind, once they start questioning him properly he'd crack.

Darius was connected to so many other things that it wouldn't just be the murder of Gary Gagovski they charge him with. The two dummies that were arrested at the start of the episode tie him to the dead woman from the flats, the drug money, and helping TLR escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

There had to be a backdrop to that inevitable final encounter between Catherine and TLR. The series would have been different if it was just a story of a prison escape followed by a 'cat & mouse' between TLR and the police (Like Sherwood but with a different location).

It was speculated early on that Hepworth might be grooming Ryan. They reshowed a clip of that meeting in a way that left no doubt (to me) about what was suggested. There may be some question of one of the daughters being a victim, based on her behaviour towards her dad. When he went to the granny Hepworth's house, granny said that Poppy wouldn't talk to her and while the other daughter ran over and embraced him, Poppy didn't go near him. Maybe that related to what she'd seen him do to JoannA, maybe there was more to it.

It was a coincidence that the probation officer had the same supplier as Joanna but surely the police would've been looking at all pharmacists in the town as a matter of course. The female employee at Faisel's recognised the 2 guys that were arrested as the 2 who'd come in to the shop with their 'friend'. So if the police came to the shop, she would've told them thus pointing to Faisel having some contact with Darius's gang. The coincidence with the probation officer just speeded up to make the link before the end of the series. I would have liked to see Faisel getting arrested though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭tinytobe

In all the Happy Valley series there was always one murder going on besides the history of TLR his son and Catherine. And such was the case in the third series of the murdering Pharmacist.

I also felt there were a couple of things left a bit open. Maybe there will be a fourth season? Catherine coming back from retirement to solve some old murder case from years gone by and where her experience and knowledge is needed?

I suppose the Pharmacist would get arrested in the first or second episode and Darius getting arrested and tried as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

I've watched it several times now and it's so so funny. He gets them so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thank you, loved watching this. Was away for it and have just had a lovely return catching up with this and The Last of Us.

What a wonderfully satisfying last episode and not only Catherine and Tommy who were both incredible, but Ryan and Claire.

Ryan coming into his own at last and showing everyone including his grandmother, that he was more astute and canny than any of them had given them credit for and so like Catherine in fact. Seen and recognised by the chief of police when he descrined Mr Hepworth and the way he looked at him (or his bum!) .

Spin off? Sarah Wainright says no. Fingers crossed she changes her mind.

And Claire.. Sarah being told off by Ryan that it wasn't just a question of her putting up with Claire but Claire supporting her and both of them throughout over the ladt 17 years, and Claire rushing to comfort Catherine despite her (Catherine's) meanness to her in her hurt over enabling the visiting of TLR.

Great writing, acting, and gutted it is over, but.. oh... to see Catherine smile after that text at the graveside.... Just totally perfect !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

season 3 - total crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Why?

Provide some reasoning, it wasn't perfect....but total crap? Lol

You managed to watch two seasons I am guessing and liked them enough to watch the third?

gee where do I start?! But the main one - Psychopath has a total transformation via looking thru some photographs?! - Unbelievable! literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

But he didn't! He was still a **** psychopath, he was able to recognize that his son had had a good life but he was still deluded enough to think that he had the right to forgive her and he still maintained that he loved her daughter and did nothing wrong. I'm not saying it was perfect or that it entirely worked for me but yours is a very simplistic reading.

like I said "where do I start?".. it was just crap.. love the previous series'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭dermo2014

Season 3 starts tonight Tuesday on RTE1 at 10:15 for anyone who missed it on the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,526 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement