Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run run run run run run run....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

The Whoop strap. My impression so far (2 months in) is that it's a useful tool in the kit but as with any piece of technology, you need to be careful not to rely solely on it and I would prefer 'feel' and intuition to take priority. The problem with 'feel' though is that it sometimes gets tangled up with emotion. For example, my first week back after Covid I was keen to test my fitness and just get back to training again. I had planned a tempo session for a Wednesday evening but was also on work experience that week and doing a lot of manual labour. That morning, the Whoop strap basically told me I'm utterly wrecked. Recovery was 36% (all time low, even with Covid recovery was ~40%) and also my resting HR was elevated. I didn't feel awful and I really wanted to put in an effort to feel like a runner again but I couldn't ignore that data so I canned the planned session that evening and did it the next evening instead.

There have been other instances where I've noted a higher HR (or low HRV), or simply a bad/interrupted sleep so I'd adjust my effort on the run or simply reduce the volume. The first thing I check now every morning is my recovery % and it's nice and simple. One simple metric that summarises my body. I like that. The problem, and maybe it's just me, is that sometimes is I get disappointed or I feel like I've failed if my recovery is bad - especially on a session day. Your daily strain is another metric that's a core feature of the system. You basically get a score out of 21 for how much stress you put your body through and this is useful also as it's unaware of activity type, miles, pace etc and purely based on time x HR. What I don't like are these strain leaderboards that glorify how much stress you can put your body through in training. I don't take part in any of those as it's a little irrelevant and tends to attract the obsessives. If anything, there should be a sleep/recovery leaderboard as that's the real metric of good athletic performance, not how much you can hurt yourself in training. There are 5 key metrics you get feedback on daily and all relevant to you overall health and performance. They are respiratory rate (this was off the charts during Covid), bloody oxygen levels, resting heart rate, HRV (heart rate variability) and skin temperature. What's really interesting for me is the breakdown of your sleep. It detects not only when you get in and out of your bed, but also the sleep cycles and interruptions and gives you an overall figure for how long you've been sleeping. A lot of people make the mistake of counting time in bed as time asleep and that's understandable when we don't have any data behind it but Whoop opens your eyes up a bit to what's really going on behind the scenes. You could spend 9 hours in the bed and have a crap sleep where you only actually spend 5 hours asleep or you could spend 7 hours in bed having uninterrupted quality sleep. It's easy to look at that and say the 9 hours in bed is better but when you dig into the details it's a completely different story.

It's definitely a nifty piece of tech and it markets itself towards the young, active and social-media oriented population, which can be a little off putting. It's not a game changer, the ability to capture this sort of data has been around for years but Whoop just packages it nicely and does a good job presenting it in the app. Practically speaking it's very simple and unobtrusive. The strap sits permanently on your wrist and occasionally you attach a small battery charger for a few hours to charge it up. I do find though it needs to be very tight on your wrist for good HR readings and this sometimes feels very uncomfortable. One unexpected bonus feature for me is the haptic alarm clock. I can set my wake up time on the app and then put the phone in another room to charge. I also don't wake up my partner with a loud alarm when I need to get up early for a run and she's certainly appreciating that.

On the financials, I bought a yearly subscription so I've basically committed myself to trialling it for a year. This ended up costing €288 for the year or €24 a month. It's the cost of an expensive pint a week and so far I think I'm getting decent value out of it.

Monday 18/04 - Rest

Tuesday 19/04 - 14.5 miles

• AM: 5 miles @ 7:32 m/m
    • PM: Track: 3 x 800m (off 400m) - 10 miles

With another race planned on Thursday evening (4 miles) I've opted to take a similar approach to last week and just trying to get some miles in early in the week but no need for a full session tonight. The crew were doing 8 x 800m, a saucy session. After a lengthy 6 mile warmup, I was told to jump in for 3 or 4 reps which should be just enough. I hit 2:23 on the first one, feeling good and then decided to close the gap on the front group. I stuck to their back for the next two reps running 2:20 and 2:20 again. I decided to leave it there and shut down the engine. I felt good for these efforts and certainly feel like I'm getting back into a good rhythm.

Wednesday 20/04 - 10 miles @ 7:22 m/m

Beautiful sunshine this morning in Midleton and I really enjoyed this early run down to a sleepy Ballyannan woods for a few loops. I felt like I was the only person on earth until I saw a woman with her dogs who utterly ruined my fantasy.

Thursday 21/04 - Race! Ballintotis 4 mile

I honestly wrote a race report which was very good and I saved it as a draft but having the same page open in another tab led to very bad things, mainly my entire report being lost. I may do another one but I should really just get my log updated. In summary I was happy with another decent race, felt good and finished strong. I love summer evening races. I know it's not summer yet but you know, almost.

Mile 1: 5:00

Mile 2: 5:02

Mile 3: 5:01

Mile 4: 4:47

Summary: 6th in 19:58

Full results

Friday 22/04 - 13.5 miles

• AM: 5.5 miles @ 7:30 m/m
    • PM: 8 miles @ 7:36 m/m

Saturday 23/04 - Grass session - 2 x 10 min, 2 x 5 mins off 2 mins (11 miles)

10 mins @ 5:21 m/m

10 mins @ 5:20 m/m

5 mins @ 5:09 m/m

5 mins @ 5:15 m/m

Sunday 24/04 - 11 miles @ 7:44 m/m

Post Alan Partridge in the 3Arena (total disappointment), I met some Donore folks in the Phoenix Paradise for some easy miles, taking it easy before the half marathon next weekend in Limerick. Kind of suits having a taper week next week as I'm off to Galway for another week of work experience in the fields.

Weekly mileage: 70

Monday 25/04 - 5 miles @ 7:14 m/m

Tuesday 26/04 - 5 miles @ 7:28 m/m

Wednesday 27/04 - 10.5 miles

• AM: 6 miles @ 7:10 m/m
    • PM: 4.5 miles @ 6:57 m/m

Thursday 28/04 - 8 miles @ 7:20 m/m

Friday 29/04 - 8 miles @ 7:04 m/m

Saturday 30/04 - 5.5 miles @ 7:26 m/m

A much needed low volume and low intensity week, not only as a taper but I was doing horticulture work placement on a small farm in Loughrea, similar to what I did 5 weeks ago in Wexford. The difference this time being I wasn't just blasted with Covid so I noticeably had more energy and I have to say I really enjoyed it. The weather was also unreal. I (well, my coach mainly) decided early on in the week that I wouldn't be doing any workouts and that the work for the half marathon was done so the aim was just to relax and enjoy the week and that's exactly what happened. I was staying in a fantastic renovated farmhouse (Airbnb) which was really peaceful and I enjoyed some really nice runs on the rural Galway roads, the sort of roads where everyone and I mean everyone waves at you. You just know you're in Galway with those distinct stone walls and pristine GAA pitches. I was feeling really good on the runs as the week progressed and throwing in strides here and there, a far cry from the last few weeks where easy runs had been a struggle so I arrived back in Cork feeling ready to rock for Limerick.

Race Report! Limerick Half Marathon

Following my bout of Covid around Paddy's week and the few weeks of upheaval with the house move, I figured I needed to put a big race on the calendar. How about Limerick half followed by Cork full I said? Sure why not. It felt like a big ask at the time of registering for Limerick when I was spluttering my way through the first session back, a 4 mile tempo where I could barely manage marathon effort. I knew fitness was somewhere there though, it was just a case of being patient, showing up each week and I'd break through the lethargy. No doubt I had felt the effects of Covid for a few weeks, I struggled with breathing in workouts, didn't have that extra zip and my day to day easy runs never quite felt normal. Every week though the veil was lifting and it was only through a couple of decent races in the last two weeks that I felt form returning and honestly those races gave me huge confidence going into Limerick. I really didn't think my PB of 68:03 from The Hague in 2020 was going to be threatened in Limerick but I was just hoping for a solid race and a decent time to springboard me onto Cork. I figured a 69:x run would be a good result given the course profile and probability of running it solo. This would also indicate a run in the region of 2:26 in Cork which would be very much welcomed.

I'd travelled up from Cork with clubmate John and we met East Cork's Tim O'Donoghue for a 10 minute warmup around the city before heading for the start. I knew Tim was in with a big shout of the win but we spotted Peter Somba on the line who went on to run a staggering 64 minutes taking the win over Tim who still came home in a big PB of 65 minutes. Inspirational stuff. The atmosphere was great around the city, it felt like a big city marathon with so many volunteers, marshals and guards around. I guess it was a bit of a big city marathon.

We lined up with the crowd of 1800+ and after a quick prayer we were ready for the 10:30 throw in. Looking around the line, I knew I wasn't going with Peter or Tim and I knew John who has been in great form was going to attack this one. My plan was to sit off and run my own race trying to hold around 5:10-5:15 mile pace.

Miles 1-3: 5:05, 5:12, 5:16

The gun went and off we set for a 13.1 journey of fun and pain. Straight to the front went Tim and Peter and John tucked in behind as expected. I was there behind them for maybe about 90 seconds before I realised I was getting caught up and I relaxed to let a gap form. The gap really started to stretch but I wasn't particularly running slow either. It turns out they really blasted off and they were running in the region of ~4:50 mile pace as Tim later told me they went through 4 miles in 19:30. Wrong train for me, glad I got off. I couldn't hear any stamping shoes behind me so all I had left to focus on was the widening gap ahead me and now solely focussed on running my own race today, inevitably solo. I glanced down for the first mile and was a little stunned to see 5:05 especially given the already big gap. I did question should I be up with there with club mate John and going for it but my overriding feeling was that I'm grand here and if anything, that first mile for me was too fast. I'm already on massive PB pace. The next two miles allowed pace to settle, they were bumpy but I was feeling good, breathing was relaxed and working my way into the race. Support was really good and having names on the bib was nice. Who doesn't like the sound of their own name, especially when it's encouraging you in a race. I hit the 3 mile mark in around 15:30 which was actually spot on for 5:10's though I questioned if I'd maintain that pace given there were 10 miles to go. At this point, John who at one point was almost out of sight, was quickly coming back to me and I couldn't even see Peter and Tim ahead of him. I think the early hot pace had really caught up with him but I was hoping he was maybe intentionally slowing down to reattach with me so I just made this my short term target to get up to him.

Miles 4-6: 5:08, 5:08, 5:08

As the splits suggest, I was feeling good here and had gotten myself into a good flow. The course was nice and steady here with a good running surface as we moved through mainly housing estates. I also noted it was getting a little hot which I usually don't mind but kept ensuring to take on water at every stop whether it got splashed on my neck or down the hatch. It was just before mile 4 when I reattached with John and hit the 4 mile mark just under 20:40. I knew straight away he hadn't intentionally come back to me and was struggling. I said him to relax and sit in but that was probably just annoying to hear. I started pulling away and just had to keep focus on my own race. I was in 3rd spot now and I said to myself that holding this position to the finish now regardless of the time would be a good result in a big race. The 6th mile was a nice downhill back towards the city and I got some great shouts as the later waves of the half started passing me on the other side of the road. It was a nice few miles.

Miles 7-9: 5:21, 5:04, 5:19

As expected, those nice miles didn't last forever. I was hit with a spicy half of a mile climb on mile 7 and really felt the squeeze. I didn't really know the course very well and in a way this was good as I was just tackling the hills as they came to me and trying to just run the whole thing with an even effort. When I hit the top of the hill I was recovering the ghastly breathing and making my way back into the city, soaking up the wide open roads and the support. This was another lovely section, I really enjoyed it. I was really flying it on mile 8 hitting a 5:04 mile but looking a the elevation afterwards, it wasn't just because of the great support, it was a generous downhill. I told myself, possibly out loud during that mille that there was a big result on the cards today. I think for the first time I felt a PB was possible, which I knew would be on if I ran 5:10 mile average or better. This was at least something for me to focus on for the remainder as I knew I was clear behind me and there was absolutely no sign of the first two leaders. I crossed over Sarsfield bridge at the end of mile 8 and support quickly dried up. 5 miles to go I told myself. I was passing the odd marathon runner and gave them a bit of encouragement as I know how lonely and tough it can be out there over 26 miles. The 9th mile was quite tough into the wind but I was able to distract myself with sums pretty well and when I passed the official 9 mile mark I calculated that I actually was just about 5:10 pace which would be a sub 68. I quite liked the sound of that but I also had been warned about the tough closing miles. I was ready to try anyway and was feeling strong.

Miles 10-12: 5:10, 5:19, 5:18

I was still feeling good and while mile 10 was pretty quiet and uneventful, I hit the marker in exactly 51:50, an average pace of exactly 5:10 per mile. Lovely round sums. That was already a quicker time than I ran in Dungarvan so that alone was a nice moment that confirmed I'm back in good shape whatever happens in the last 3 miles. It got hard from here on though. Mile 11 was into what was now a very stiff and unwelcome headwind. I noted the top marathon runners starting to pass me on the other side of the road. I wished I was on that side of the road. I recognised an acquaintance coming towards me on the other side of the road. He was coming 4th in the marathon on his way to a 2:34 in his hometown race so we both moved over to the centre of the road to offer a hi-5 which was a nice moment, thick in the business end of our respective races. Anyway, back to the business. Mile 11 was a struggle as I battled into the wind trying to concentrate hard on closing out what has been a very good race to this point. I saw the 5:19 coming up and that kind of threw doubt on the PB attempt. I'd really need to put in a quick finish but I'd also heard of tough drags over the closing stages and I was starting to feel them. They were actually no worse than the climbs earlier in the race, it's just that you're so much more fatigued and they feel twice as hard. Mile 12 was a similar grind coming in at 5:18 so that was the PB off the cards, which didn't sour things at all since a PB would have been a massively unexpected bonus. I knew a 68 was almost a certainty and that would be a big result for me along with the podium finish. After a real grind of a climb on mile 12, I knew the final mile would take care of itself and I felt I had a little kick left in me.

Mile 13: 5:04

It took a minute or two to for me to recover from the previous miles but I did eventually get going on the final mile and was just waiting for that bridge to reappear. At this stage I couldn't be but delighted with the run, it exceeded my expectations so I was really enjoying pushing for that last mile to try and bring it home strong. The bridge felt like it was ages coming but then I saw the '500m to go' sign and I kicked as much as my little legs would let me. The raucous support was brilliant coming in and I was loving it. There's something so special about these marathon days that brings out the best in both participants and spectators. I finally turned on to the cobbles of O'Connell street and crossed in 68:22. That's the job. Delighted. What a good day.

A really welcome return to the half marathon distance after 2+ years and I think the longer races are really where I come into my own. I think I enjoy them better anyway. All in all, a fair course and I think conditions were pretty reasonable and I'm taking away great memories of this race. I'm hoping for a solid few weeks of miles now but I'll go into Cork aiming for a similar run with no real pressure other than a solid race, a marathon under the belt and then I'll turn my focus to DCM later in the year.

P.S I cannot walk today

Summary: 3rd in 68:22

Full Results

Post edited by jebuz on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done, that's a great time & great race report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Brilliant running as always. Nice to see its not just us slower lads that feel those drags and pulls! North circular (miles 9 and 10 for you I think?) is a sneaky part of the route. Oddly very little support, still a long way to go with the thoughts of those two big pulls coming behind the gaelic grounds and then back up towards town. I always find that section of the route very tough. The last mile is exactly what you'd want tho. Perfectly flat.

Well done on the podium. No mean feat for a big city race .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Super stuff. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thats an amazing run - congrats.

As you've progressed over the years - do you get used to the solo races??

When you PB'd in The Hague - had you company then (or people to chase/ chasing you) - I'd say with a deeper field, that 68.22 would be worth a 67 high??

Thanks SB and congrats on a debut sub 3 marathon, a superb achievement on a tough course and great to see the great training pay off. Yes I remember mile 9 being particularly tricky having just come from the buzz of the city centre to almost deafening silence and a hearty headwind. A real testing course but I have to say I really enjoyed the challenge. Last mile, ideal!

Thanks AMK. That's an interesting question on the solo races, I've never even thought about it but that probably means I have gotten used to them. I don't think I'm particularly prone to running solo, I like to race regularly so they're inevitable. I've experienced plenty of races with company and as you say the deeper field and the thrill of running in a pack usually brings out the best in you. In the Hague I did have a steady group, I felt great the whole way and was able to peel away from them at the end which then got really tough. I seem to do well when running solo though, maybe because I fill the void with PB calculations and other stupid random thoughts. I'd like to think that the run in Limerick was a better run than the Hague and probably worth a 67 on a faster course with company. Let's hope I get that performance out of myself later this year but it's one thing talking about it, I need to go and do it!

Yes this appears to be a very boring week of just easy running, and it was, but I think it was also an important week of milage and focus seems to be good. The primary goal was to recover from Limerick but also finding a balance so I could continue to build strength for the Cork marathon and I think I did ok there. The result in Limerick has basically whispered in my ear 'go on, give Cork a crack' and I have to say I'm a little looking forward to that prospect. I've never woken up, rolled out of bed and driven down the road to run a marathon. This has to be one of the most low key and unstructured build ups to a marathon but I am liking it and I don't really feel the same pressure or weight I would if this was a big city (e.g Berlin) marathon. The Monday off this week was absolutely mandatory as I was like a newborn calf getting out of bed and walking was in general a chore. From Tuesday I doubled up most days and ended up getting in a solid 80 mile week and feeling pretty fresh by the end of the week. I'm pleased with that considering I had exams to deal with also. It's kind of hilarious that I thought I could run the Midleton 5 mile on Thursday, I think I almost knew Monday morning that it was not happening so I just went to watch others suffer. Next week is probably going to be really tough in terms of intensity and volume and I'll probably peak in weekly milage there but at the end of the week it's only going to be 3 week until Cork so I'm ready to put in a good shift.

Monday 02/05 - Rest

Tuesday 03/05 - 10 miles

• AM: 5 miles @ 7:35 m/m
    • PM: 5 miles @ 7:08 m/m

Both runs in Walshtown woods 5 mins from my house which I am becoming very very fond of. There are deer but they always run away from me.

Wednesday 04/05 - 13 miles

• AM: 6 miles @ 7:14 m/m
    • PM: 7 miles @ 7:27 m/m

Thursday 05/05 - 10 miles

• AM: 5 miles @ 7:19 m/m
    • PM: 5 miles @ 7:19 m/m

Friday 06/05 - 20 miles @ 6:25 m/m

With plant school exams on the menu in Limerick all this weekend, running would have to take a back seat so I decided to just ensure I got my long run in this week and set off early on Friday morning with a rake of awful podcasts lined up. This was nice, I chose a hilly route and I felt strong throughout (a far cry from Monday morning) and time flew by even though I was a right Tony solo.

Saturday 07/05 - 10 miles @ 7:02 m/m

Post exams head-clear around the Marina with a retro iPod shuffle. Lovely.

Sunday 08/05 - 16 miles

• AM: 5 miles @ 7:15 m/m
    • PM: 11 miles @ 6:47 m/m

Only one exam today and already getting sick of the drive up and down to Limerick. I sneaked in a nice 5 miler in Walshtown woods early morning which really got my brain fired up and then post exam I went for a really enjoyable 11 miles in Moanbaun woods. It kind of looks like I was letting off steam which maybe I was but I actually felt quite good. I think I like running in woods. Very nice finish to the week.

weekly miles: 80

Post edited by jebuz on

• Advertisement

Monday 09/05 - Rest

Tuesday 10/05 - 17 miles

• AM: 7.5 mile tempo (12 miles) First session since the Limerick half and this was a bit of a tester. It was a sunny but very blustery morning and wanting to get a hilly tempo in, I headed solo for the bumpy Midleton 5 mile loop. I was going for an effort slightly harder than marathon effort but wanted it to be controlled as it was a longer workout. I knew from the get-go that it was going to be a pure grind as I was straight into the headwind for the first mile. Time did seem to fly though and two laps later I was done and pretty relieved to finish. I averaged 5:29 m/m pace which is about marathon pace but felt way tougher than marathon effort. I'm around long enough not to read into it and given the wind and fatigue from the half I trust that on race day, that pace will feel a lot easier. My calves were absolutely shot on the cool-down, almost the same pain after getting out of bed post half marathon. This just confirms that following a raced half marathon, no matter how much you think you have recovered, you probably haven't.
    • PM: 5 miles @ 7:24 m/m

Wednesday 11/05 - 13 miles

• AM: 8 miles @ 7:16 m/m
    • PM: 5 miles @ 7:06 m/m

Thursday 12/05 - 15 miles @ 6:57 m/m

Nice relaxing morning long(ish) run into the depths of the Midleton countryside. I took an unplanned route change and stumbled upon a massive hill, which I accepted and climbed.

Friday 13/05 - 7 miles @ 7:39 m/m

Saturday 14/05 - Grass session: 3 x 10 mins & 2 x 5 mins (2 min rec) - 13 miles

This was a very good session and exactly the one I was hoping for 3 weeks out from Cork. The sun was shining and the ground firm and I enjoyed this one with a nice group around me. I'm really moving well this week, feeling fresh and strong and just need to hang on to this form now with no room for silly chest injuries or anything like that.

• 10 mins @ 5:17 m/m
    • 10 mins @ 5:11 m/m
    • 10 mins @ 5:09 m/m
    • 5 mins @ 5:00 m/m
    • 5 mins @ 4:58 m/m

Sunday 15/05 - 15 miles @ 6:54 m/m

This was originally planned to be peak milage day, 20 miles in the morning and 5 miles in the evening. However, after the session yesterday my coach suggested postponing the 20 miler until Wednesday morning. The reason being I'm heading for Meath next Tuesday evening for a Kia series 5k and I had planned just completely training through this weekend and doing the 5k as an afterthought, more-so for the team. However, I was advised to go in a little bit fresher to the 5k and to do the 20 miler on tired legs the next morning (ouchey). This is where I had to be a little open minded and flexible because I had been gung-ho on this week being my peak milage and getting in the big 25 mile day. I didn't need to give it much thought though, it really doesn't change much at this stage other than what would have been a satisfying 90 mile week in my head. I happily headed out on a sunny Sunday morning with less homework and enjoyed this with a few club-mates and still hitting a solid 80 mile week. Job done, time to rest.

Weekly miles: 80

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Nice timing for you for that grass session, which would be nice and forgiving on your calves/body while getting a very good quality session in. Great to run that well at this stage. Good luck with the last few weeks 👍️

Monday 16/05 - Rest

Tuesday 17/05 - 10.5 miles

• AM: 3 miles @ 7:39 m/m
    • PM: Race! Kia Series Enfield 5k

As much as I didn't fancy an almost 6 hour roundtrip drive to Enfield on a Tuesday night, I felt a little bit of duty to show up for the team as we were very stretched with just 3 men and 3 women confirmed. I'd also created the spreadsheet to track our attendance and results so I'm already too invested into this series. Luckily though we decided to carpool so I travelled with John and Bernard from the club which made the whole evening much more enjoyable. We arrived groggily to Enfield at around 6:30pm for an 8pm kick off. It felt very cold and windy when I got out of the car, not very May. I picked up the number and went to the toilet accessed via a very dodgy, dark nightclub in a hotel which brought back so many interesting teenage memories. We headed off for a quick warmup around 7pm, extra layers on. During the run the evening sun started piercing through the clouds and we all felt very warm. We did the last km of the course and quickly learned that it would be a very quick downhill finish. This meant though that there were inevitably drags elsewhere which was good to know. I saw a good few familiar faces who would be at the pointy end and I had a feeling we'd be seeing a similar depth to the Streets of Kilkenny 5k. It suddenly felt like the right race to be at, and it made sense being so close to Dublin. DSD, our main rivals for the Kia Series club title seemed to be fielding a very strong team so we'd all need to put in the shift. Lucky for us we had a last minute addition in Michelle Finn turning out for the women.

I went into this race with no real expectations other than to compete, get a good placing and help the club to another win. I didn't really ease up for this apart from downgrading my long run from 20 miles to 15, with the 20 miler now scheduled for the morning after the race. I had done two workouts since Limerick, both marathon oriented sessions so I hadn't done any 5k specific work on the track in a long time. That said, I was silently optimistic about a decent run, certainly something around 15 mins. I have been feeling good in everyday runs and in particular the session last Saturday indicated to me that I still have a bit of pep in me.

After another mile or so jog down to the start line we were ready to go. The evening had really cleared up, the sun was out but there was still a stiff breeze hanging around. The race would be all left turns, pretty easy to remember particularly if you have trouble turning right. It was a tight squeeze on the start line but I managed to get to the front which meant I would need to go and then justify it.

Mile 1: 4:46

The gun or whistle went, or maybe it was a klaxon. Skinny sharp elbows were flying as they always do in a 5k and I held my own to stay out of trouble and on my feet, the ultimate priority. A front pack quickly formed which I would not be welcomed in. In there were guys capable of 14-14:30 so I would sit happy on the next train which was gathering steam nicely. The first km was up a drag and into a wind so in a way it was ok as we were full of running. A great little group of 8 or 9 or so seemed to form and we were clipping along at 15 minute pace as I noted the clock hit 3:00 at the 1 km mark. I was perfectly happy sitting at the back of this group and felt very relaxed and strong. We turned left after the 1km and pace kind of picked up but I just intently focussed on the pack ahead of me not letting an inch of daylight form and observing everything happening at the front.

Mile 2: 4:52

Knowing the shape of the course now including the very fast last km, I was still happy to sit in the pack for this section until the business end where no doubt there would be carnage in the group. As it was, we were all still there and hit 2km in around 6 flat. I was happy to see that and really felt a good run was on today as I still felt so relaxed and strong. I was tempted to move to the front and push it on but it was early yet but I said I'd hold off and let the 3rd km play out. This was a draggy section and as a group we definitely slowed but only marginally. I noted a lot of guys in the group starting to really feel the pressure now and breathing was becoming heavy. I was alongside clubmate John and it was just a great buzz to be there with him on a Tuesday night in Enfield trying to put it up to some top club runners over 5k. Amongst the group was a 2:20 and 2:22 marathon runner which was encouraging if anything. We hit 3k just over 9 minutes so I knew we had slowed slightly. There was 1km of the drag left so without really thinking I took to the front of the group and pushed it. I figured we all needed to push hard here and the last km would look after itself. There were two guys ahead of the pack coming back to us. One was a DSD vest so that was another valuable position if myself and John could get past him.

Mile 3: 4:46

Front running a group isn't always the most enjoyable but for some reason I think I liked it this time. Maybe it's because I felt good and was confident about pulling away. From being the one doing all the observing, I was now at the front with no idea of what was going on behind me. I could hear the footsteps behind me so clearly I wasn't pulling away but at least the pace was picking up for a good finish. It gets a little hazy here but I think another runner took over near the end of the 4th km from Tara AC. I didn't check the clock at the 4km mark because I was just too focussed on racing now, time will take care of itself. I saw the last left turn coming up which means we have about 3 minutes of running left. Go. Everybody starts to wind up now. We turned left and seconds later we passed the dangling DSD vest who we had been reeling in for a while. Tara AC vest takes up the lead and then I'm soon passed by a Rathfarnham vest who was looking strong and seconds later John also came passed me. In a way I was delighted that we were both up there battling but still, he's another competitor so I was just going to treat him like any other runner. I tried to stick with the lads as best I could and we were back and forth a few times with positions constantly swapping. Eventually near the end with maybe 400m to go, they got a small gap on me and I was just lacking that extra turn of pace I needed to stick with them. I did manage to hold in there really well though, almost reeling in Tara AC right at the end. The finish line came into view and I was well under 15, a little too well under. I crossed 10th in 14:47 and a little stunned with that time. After hanging out with a steel railing for a while, I composed myself and had a glance at the watch which said 14:54. It turns out everyone had the same experience and due to a timing error, they were around 5 seconds off on the official timer. That didn't matter, it still gave me a very pleasing time of 14:53, final km in 2:50. I was very happy with that run. I knew I had given that my all at the end and I was pleased with how I raced it and how I was able to relax and sit in early on. Maybe that move I put in at 3k was a little premature and I didn't quite have the finish in me but I don't regret it at all as I think we all needed to pick it up. All good signs in general, particularly after a heavy week of training last week and only weeks out from the Cork marathon.

Club-mates John (14:51) and Bernard (15:29) also put in seriously good runs so even with the DSD men's team beating us I was feeling confident about another club victory and this was later confirmed as the women finished 1st, 3rd and 4th. After a quick cool-down we piled back into the car, had a quick feed at a petrol station and headed off the long journey back to Cork but all of us extremely proud of our runs. It really was a genuinely enjoyable evening with good company and topped off with good runs. I didn't get back to my house until just before midnight and it was time to turn my attention to the small matter of 20 miles in the morning.

Summary: 10th in 14:53

Full results

Wednesday 18/05 - 21 miles @ 6:29 m/m

As much as I love running, I opened my eyes around 7:15am the next morning and the first thing that hit me was a pang of horror as I knew I needed to run 20 miles this morning. It's a Wednesday, this isn't right, this isn't normal. I can see the logic behind it, get out and run long on tired legs bla bla bla. I can't even remember how my legs felt, I was just in auto-mode. A little toast, a quick coffee and I was out the gap. I was on the road and moving by 7:40am, earphones in, podcasts lined up and a rough route in my head. It turned out that I was just being overly dramatic and I think I actually enjoyed it in the end. By 6 or 7 miles I was moving well and even veered off course when I realised I was on the Ballintotis 4 mile course so I decided to do the whole loop. Then I headed back for Midleton and did the Midleton 5 mile course loop. Because of my insistence to do race routes to entertain myself, I unfortunately (or fortunately) ended up tacking an extra mile onto the run. I felt good overall, it was a nice hilly route and that's probably the last long, long run for this block. Still though, Wednesday long runs just feel wrong.

Thursday 19/05 - 10 miles

• AM: 5 miles @ 7:37 m/m
    • PM: 5 miles @ 7:35 m/m

Understandably, I was utterly goosed for both of these runs.

Friday 20/05 - 7 miles @ 7:21 m/m

Saturday 21/05 - Grass session: 3 x 10 mins & 2 x 5 mins (2 min rec) - 13 miles

And back to the farm for another grass session. I half expected to be given a little less this Saturday with the race just 2 weeks away. Alas no, same as last week. I was glad to have good company again for this and the splits are very similar to last week. Very happy again with it.

• 10 mins @ 5:21 m/m
    • 10 mins @ 5:13 m/m
    • 10 mins @ 5:08 m/m
    • 5 mins @ 5:00 m/m
    • 5 mins @ 4:59 m/m

Sunday 22/05 - 16 miles @ 6:58 m/m

The plan today was to run the last 15/16 miles of the marathon route to get used to the geography and topology of the second half which is quite challenging. We kicked off the run at the 11 mile marker but really couldn't stick to all of the route, especially around parts of the railway line at the Marina which is still closed, and the South Link. Avoiding the South Link was more of an effort to not die. We made it up to Turner's Cross roughly on schedule but I was starting to suffer with a blister. At least I have identified which socks not to wear for the marathon. I just cannot deal with blisters again, I can't. The route definitely gets tough around Togher and that's around 18-20 miles into the race so I was really glad we did that part today. Once you get over the tough drag at 21 miles then it flattens out and it's a nice quick finish, if you happen to be feeling good. The blister was agonising by the time we got back to the city but I'm not too worried about it with a day off tomorrow and a lesson learned about those socks. All in all, another good enjoyable weeks training and the start line for Cork edges even closer.

Weekly miles: 78

Post edited by jebuz on

I continue to be blown away by your racing . Just incredible to read. Great stuff.

Monday 23/05 - Rest

Tuesday 24/05 - 15 miles

• AM: 5 miles @ 7:28 m/m
    • PM: Track: 4 x 800m, 6 x 400m (400m rec) - 10 miles

A good old fashioned tough grind at the Mardyke this evening. Not a session I'd typically expect to be doing 10 days out from a marathon but it's given me a good confidence boost and I came away feeling very pleased. We had the pleasure of training this evening with the fastest woman over 800m in the country, Louise Shanahan, who fell in (for 600m) of our 800m and our 400m reps. Lovely to have that sort of company and she's still so down to earth about it all. I felt really good tonight, the splits were much better than I anticipated not having done track work in a good while and I paced it pretty evenly. It helped having such a good solid group and I did my time at the front for a few reps which always helps with focus. Possibly one of the best track sessions I've done and funny enough I'm feeling like I could run a really decent 5k/10k right now as well as hopefully a decent marathon!

Splits: 2:21, 2:20, 2:19, 2:18, 68, 67, 65, 64, 65, 65

Wednesday 25/05 - 12 miles

• AM: 7 miles @ 7:35 m/m
    • PM: 5 miles @ 7:22 m/m

Thursday 26/05 - 13.5 miles

• AM: 9 miles @ 7:24 m/m
    • PM: 4.5 miles @ 7:20 m/m

Friday 27/05 - 7 miles @ 7:24 m/m

Saturday 28/05 - Grass session: 5 x 5 mins (2 min rec) - 10 miles

Great big group today at the farm on a scorching hot Saturday morning. Today I just sat right at the back, kept out of trouble and took a ride off the group with the focus now on getting fresh for next Sunday's marathon. There was really no reason to go to the well today or push the pace since my fitness isn't going to improve over a week. I felt nice and relaxed for these, despite the glorious heat.

• 5 mins @ 5:15 m/m
    • 5 mins @ 5:20 m/m
    • 5 mins @ 5:16 m/m
    • 5 mins @ 5:16 m/m
    • 5 mins @ 5:18 m/m

Sunday 29/05 - 11.5 miles @ 7:23 m/m

Ran the last 10 miles of the course today with a few lads running the half and full. We started around Turners Cross which is around 17 miles. It's really going to be a tough part of the course both physically and mentally with plenty of drags and twists but at least I have a good idea of what to expect now on the day. It's looking like a good weekend next weekend as in very pleasant weather, let's just hope it's not an absolute scorcher between the hours of 8:30 and 11. Whatever happens, I'm very happy with the shape I got myself in during this block and the races I ran, especially considering how it started with a belly full of Covid spluttering. One week left where the goal is utter self preservation.

Weekly miles: 69.5

Post edited by jebuz on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great to see you going so well, C. Berlin 2016 seems like an age ago.

You may have answered this already, so apologies - but do you "fall in" to the club's training structure or are you doing your own thing and leaning on the group where you can?

Looking forward to seeing how you get on in Cork, best of luck with it all between now and the finish line

Thanks D, good to hear from you. I've pretty much fallen in with the majority of club sessions for as long as I can remember and I've personally been better off doing that than going rogue. Some people do train better alone but most do better in groups so people just need to figure out what suits them. I think there are still too many decent runners out there who continue to train solo without considering a club or coach. It's possibly a control thing where people need to be driving their own sessions or maybe it's a time thing, I don't know. I've observed though that most runners start to reach their real potential when they fall in with groups, train around people better than them, learn how to pace sessions properly and race more regularly. The semantics of the actual session are less important.

At this point and having the years behind me, I don't worry too much about session specifics and just go with whatever the coach prescribes. If I run a good honest session, pace it well and my heart and lungs are worked, then it's going to improve me no matter. That said, there are occasions where I will suggest something else or cut back/add volume so it's not always a one-way street. I've taken a slightly different approach to last summer (Blistergate Berlin 2021) where I was doing a few specific marathon sessions (long tempos or long runs with X @ MP) outside of club sessions but I just went back to the roots of Berlin 2016 here which was the same simplistic approach of falling in with the group for sessions and getting a basic long run in. Who knows how it will work out but I seem to have been racing all other distances quite well off this and besides it's just more enjoyable training with the club and I like the banter. I also like not knowing what's on the menu each week, all I have is a rough target milage of 80 a week and I tailor the easy distance and miles around how recovered I'm feeling.

Post edited by jebuz on

I was actually about to ask a question related to sessions so thanks D for opening the floor..haha.

In those club sessions do you go to the well quite a bit or is it usually fairly controlled and you finish knowing you had more in the tank?

Being a solo trainer its rare I go to the well - most sessions are relatively controlled - more specifically in training for the shorter stuff. I'm rarely feeling flogged. Just wanted to see what your opinion was on that.

All the best for Cork. Hope the weather plays ball. Looking forward to seeing the result on Strava.

The floor is wide open 😁 That's not a straight forward answer for me because I think "the well" is very subjective and based on perceived effort. For some they think they are going to the well but they're not and then others are constantly going to the well and over-reaching but think they're training fantastically. Going to the well for me is when I can't maintain a consistent pace (or increase my pace) throughout the session (e.g first rep is the fastest and then every subsequent one gets slower). In that sense, I rarely go to the well as I have a good idea of how to pace myself by now and I tend to finish sessions like I can do one or two more reps. There are times when I know I have gone to the well and drank too much and that's ok every now and then, maybe even a good thing but you just can't possibly sustain going to into that zone every week or multiple times a week, that's what racing is for. I see a good few people leave their races in training and I kind of understand why. It's a low pressure environment, you're around other competitive people, you want to prove your fitness, you want to improve so badly that you think you need to tear the arse out of it and empty the tank. Wrong. You shouldn't be feeling completely flogged after sessions, you're looking for just the right amount of stress to stimulate adaptations but not so much that it's taking from your next session or your next race or even worse, causing constant injuries. You sound like you have a good approach as in you're not flogging yourself and feeling in control and I'd rather see more people err on that side rather than the other extreme. That said, if you had some training partners of similar fitness you could be potentially pushing yourself that little bit harder, making bigger gains and the perceived effort might feel the same as long as you're not going into that over-reaching zone. I've done plenty of solo sessions and there's something about running sessions solo where the effort feels harder than it is compared to having a group.

Thanks for that.

All the best for the weekend. Run well.

• Advertisement

Very best of luck the weekend! Looking forward to the race report all ready😊

Monday 30/05 - Rest

Tuesday 31/05 - 11 miles

• AM: 4 miles @ 7:15 m/m
    • PM: Track: 15 mins @ MP (~5:30 m/m)

This went grand, I sat in with 2 other lads who are running the half on Sunday and we just ticked off ~82 second laps at 5:30 mile pace. I'm never quite sure what to make of this session because the actual workout contributes pretty much zero fitness gains for Sunday so its only purpose is a 'stretch of the legs' or a psychological boost to hammer home that the planned pace is comfortable. The pace did feel comfortable...I think. My HR was steady just above 150 bpm by the end of it so I know I wasn't working terribly hard but it was a humid evening and it didn't feel that easy but at the same time all I was thinking the whole way through was "is this ok? am I good? is this comfortable enough for 26 miles?. See what I mean! Maybe I'm better off not doing that session but no harm done, I think the low HR was enough validation that I can give in and around 5:30-5:35 a go on Sunday (weather permitting).

Wednesday 01/06 - 5 miles @ 7:12 m/m

Thursday 02/06 - 6 miles @ 7:xx m/m

Friday 03/06 - 6 miles @ 7:xx m/m

Saturday 04/06 - 5 miles @ 7:xx m/m

OK enough logging, time to race. Let's hope I make it past 12k this time. Compeed on both feet? check!

Post edited by jebuz on

A slight delay I know. I had a manic 2 weeks busy in work straight following the marathon, which was in a way very fortunate timing. Anyway I owe one marathon report...

After living in Cork for nigh on 8 years now I think it’s fair to say this is the hometown marathon and one that’s been on the to-do list for some time now. People go into this marathon under no illusion that it’s tough. It’s not just the hills, or the inevitable loneliness but the June bank holiday warmth can also wreak havoc as we’ve seen in past years. But there’s a special lure when a marathon is on those routes you have trodden day in and day out for 8 years, not to mention the fact you only have to roll out of bed and drive down the road on the morning of. 

The Cork marathon wasn’t really on the menu until an unpleasant bout of Covid hit in mid March. My first session back from the evil was a spluttering 4 mile tempo @ 5:32 min/mile on March 24th. A horror show, with me the starring role and I felt utterly abysmal. A few days later, in an attempt to keep myself focussed and to give myself a target, I entered the Limerick half on May 1st which was 5 weeks away and felt like a big ask. Cork was lingering in my mind also and would be 5 weeks after Limerick but first things first though, I’d train for the half and see what happens. Week by week I continued showing up, struggling through easy runs and workouts but just getting the work done. Only during the week before the Limerick half when I was on horticulture work experience in Galway did I finally start to feel right again. I ran a very good half coming 3rd in 68:22 and only 20 seconds off my PB so with that result and given that I was feeling good again, I said full steam ahead with Cork. I followed up Limerick with a solid block, feeling really good in sessions and running a few decent shorter races in between including a 14:53 5k 3 weeks out. The training wasn’t particularly complicated or even fully marathon focussed, I just showed up at the club sessions, did what the group was doing and threw in some mid week medium-long runs. The 5 weeks post Limerick was actually a very enjoyable block and I was in a good groove. 

With all of that, I went into Cork feeling in good shape, well rested and relaxed. Considering it was 4 years since I’d completed a marathon, I was hoping to just put down a solid performance and one I can build on for Dublin in October, all going well. Compared to the block I put in for Berlin last summer, it was way less intense and I didn’t feel fatigued nor was I praying for taper time. It really felt no different than training for a 10 miler or half marathon and I never ran over 80 miles per week. If I ran like I knew I could, there was no doubt I was going to take some time off my PB of 2:31 so it was just a matter of how much. Pace-wise, Donie told me the night before the race to just try and run 5:30 miles, to run my own race and not worry about who’s around me. This was exactly how I wanted to run it. 

The Saturday evening before the race I went into the expo, met a few pals and dropped 3 x 250ml bottles of Maurten with a friend, Viv, who would be on a bike. I wasn’t going to be military around where he should be, he just said he’d be out on the course and he’d find me and I was fine with that. I’d carry 1 gel with me and take another 15 mins before the start. On the bottom of the each bottle I placed a single word on a label I had printed out, intended to ground me and keep me focussed. “Relax”, “Focus” and “Steady” were the words and I figured it would be a nice little surprise each time I got a bottle and looked at the bottom. After the expo and a nice relaxing coffee, I headed home and relaxed for the evening. I had a pizza and some pasta and an electrolyte drink and that was pretty much my carbs locked and loaded. Other than that evening, I didn’t change my diet all week. The weather predictions were interesting. About a week out we were forecasting very warm but calm conditions. However the night before, it was now looking cool and rainy but again no heavy winds. As long as the winds kept at bay I would be happy though obviously the preference is cool temperate also. 

On the morning, I slept really well but woke to a howling wind and rain in Midleton. Drat. I do happen to live at 120m above sea level also so it’s almost always windy. Undeterred I went about my usual morning routine. Brown bread toasted, fig jam and coffee. Then I got into my car and drove into the city. It was surreal driving to a marathon considering most of the ones I have done have been to foreign countries and out of my natural environment. This was lovely. I threw on an audio book, sipped on my coffee and relaxed. I had picked out my parking area and got there around 7:30. The race wouldn’t start until 8:30 and without a real warmup to do I wasn’t sure what to do next. It was raining quite heavy. If I sat in the car long enough I wouldn’t have to run 26 miles but instead I figured I’d go for it. I got out, threw on an old ragged hoody and legged it half a mile down to the city centre. I was feeling fresh. Funny enough on a random back street, I met Tim O’Donohoe, the pre-race favourite and part of our training group. I’ve seen how he’s going in training and I was fully sure he’d do the business today. He was looking very relaxed anyway and after coming 2nd a few years back I could see a glint in his eye, he was out to win today. I hung outside Pennys with Tim for a bit, hiding under a canopy and doing poor stretches as the rain was now hammering down, but straight down which was a good sign of minimal wind. The temperature was ideal, I just hoped these conditions would stay constant for the next few hours. 15 minutes to go and the energy on Patrick's street was starting to rise as the runners herded themselves into the start coral. I popped a Maurten gel, did some strides and then joined the waiting herd for our epic journey around the streets of Cork. I had no idea who would be running today but a little personal goal going in was to podium today. On the line I finally had a better idea of who was around and knew I would have my work cut out for a podium. Gary O’Hanlon, course record holder (2:21) and 4 time (I think) time winner, Alan O’Shea, local stalwart and former winner, Eoin Mullan who I didn’t know much about in terms of marathoning but he was just a couple of places ahead of me in the national master XC taking 3rd spot back in February and ran 67 in the Antrim half last year. As far as the marathon was concerned, this was the 5 (including Tim) that I figured would be battling for the top 3. Little did I know that there was another contender in the mix, a Polish runner, Pawel, who had come 4th and 5th in the race in ’18 and ’19. 

Almost time to go. The plan? Run 5:30’s, relax and try enjoy this one. Don’t get caught up in an early fast pace. Plan for the hills in the second half. I wasn’t at all nervous on the line, just ready to go and I couldn’t wait to get stuck in. I didn’t want to know my mile splits today. The topography of the course would mean mile splits would likely be erratic so I just didn’t want to know so I could focus on feel. I adjusted my watch to show the timer and the average pace and no split notifications. 

Miles 1-3 (5:28, 5:34, 5:28)

Off we go. Because the marathon is mixed in with the relay, it was a fast enough start with a lot of relay runners charging off. I was swallowed up a bit but fully expected that. It was lovely running up Patrick’s street and onto Grand Parade, getting into my stride, able to smile and soak in (while getting soaked) the atmosphere around the city. At almost every corner there were supporters and I heard my name a few times and who doesn’t like the sound of their own name? There were a couple of Leevale relay runners gone out just ahead of me so I stayed focussed on those but really not feeling under any stress at all yet and the 5:30 pace was feeling very comfortable, as hoped. 

We made our way out to Blackpool, turned and came back into the city. It was a little quieter around there but when we got back into the city, the roars could be heard again. We passed by the race on the other side of the road and I got a few shouts from workmates and friends who were doing the relay. Now we headed along St.Patricks quay where I saw loads more friendly faces and was able to throw them a smile and thumbs up. I saw Donie (coach) at the 3 mile mark as I noted it was around 16:30 and spot on pace. Along this stretch I could also see how the race was unfolding ahead of me. Alan had gone out very hard, as had Gary and Eoin but my plan was set in stone and I stuck to it. I had a strong belief that I would be seeing some or all of those 3 later in the race and the possibility of a top 3 was always there. I was sitting in 6th position in the marathon but in my head I was 5th as I hadn’t accounted for Pawel who was at the time neck and neck with Tim out front. 

Mile 4-6 (5:36, 5:35, 5:32)

I was starting to settle down now after the excitement of the first few miles around the city. The shouts and support died down and I needed to start focusing on keeping steady. I was after passing the first clubmate from the relay team and was tracking another one who was running a similar pace to me. It was a long straight stretch down the lower Glanmire road and effort was still feeling fine. There was a headwind here coming from the east, which is rare as we’re typically used to the westerly wind round these parts, in fact all parts. It was a noticeable wind where effort slightly increased but very manageable. I hit the relay changeover around 5.5 miles and it was good fun running through here and getting a few shouts from people. Mile 6 was long and straight and brought me up to the Dunkettle roundabout and it was time to take on the tunnel. This should be fun. 

Miles 7-9 (5:13, 5:32, 5:31)

This was fun. The tunnel comes early enough in the race to still enjoy the novelty factor of running through a tunnel you’d normally get arrested for. There was a steep decline and then a tasty drag coming out but I was feeling really good on the climb here and just as daylight revealed itself again I said something out loud along the lines of ‘it’s on today’. Nobody else heard me, probably because I was alone. I was reeling in a relay runner from Fermoy and this was a nice little target and something to focus on as Gary, Eoin and Alan were out of sight. I hadn’t seen Tim since the start line and still wasn’t aware he had company. GPS is no doubt dodgy through the tunnel so take the 5:13 with a pinch of that actually didn’t happen. Mile 8 was in the hard shoulder of the Ring road and still making ground on the relay runner. Just after the 8 mile mark I got to the ramp and faced a small sharp climb. I heard footsteps behind me and could only assume it was a relay runner, and it was. I happened to know the guy and we exchanged some well wishes in our respective distances. Shortly after that I caught the Fermoy relay runner. He was close to home, maybe a mile left so I think I told him he was nearly there. He sat right in behind me and it was good to have the company.

Miles 10-12 (5:25, 5:28, 5:35)

Onto mile 10 in and myself and Fermoy are swanning around some housing estate in Mahon. I was keen to see how I was doing at the 10 mile mark but I knew the watch average pace (which was reading 5:30 exactly) would be wonky with the tunnel. The Fermoy runner put in a big finish for his leg and pulled away from me at the end before handing over to a new runner. I was happy with that as here was a little micro target for me to make it up to that new runner but I wasn’t going to go chasing him, I’d just run my pace and hope he comes back a bit. I hit the 10 mile mark around 55:20 so that means my true pace is 5:32, ideal. Now it was on to the beloved Marina, the scene of so many long runs over the years. How nice to race down this section on the marathon, particularly when I’m feeling good and in control. I was flowing nicely along here, really enjoying the whole race up until now and before long I had almost caught up with the Fermoy relay runner. It was around the start of the 12th mile my friend Viv on the bike found me and I was happy to see him as it was about time I thought should take on some sustenance. He handed me a bottle and I just wanted to chat to him to tell him about the race. You’d swear he was running the race as he was keeping serious and focussed on his duties, which was great really. I took a look at the bottom of the bottle, ‘steady’ it said, and steady it was. I did notice pace drop here for a bit but that’s ok, I was taking a breather and wanted to be able to take the drink on while relaxed. I’m an awful drinker while on the move. 

Miles 13-15 (5:42, 5:38, 5:32, halfway in 72:52)

Up over the sharp pedestrian bridge and down again to hit the halfway point in 72:52. I was delighted with that, exactly where I wanted to be and more importantly feeling confident that I could do it all again even in a hillier second half. I had said to Donie the night before I’d try hit halfway in mid 72 to 73 low so this was a great little booster. Mile 14 was straight down the railway line and I was now with the Fermoy runner at the start of the mile. We’d known each other from the odd race and when he glanced around and noticed it was me he was very sound and almost automatically took up pacing duties. I told him he was running spot on the pace I wanted to go and I was really glad of the company. It was around the middle of the mile however I just naturally pulled away from him and found myself on my own again. As I passed the 14 mile mark I smiled and thought of the session I had done last summer with John, a 14 mile marathon pace session at 5:32 average. I’ve just done that again just now but I’m not done yet, 12 more! Unfortunately John didn’t make this marathon due to a few setbacks but he was shortly about to line up for the half marathon and I’d get a shout from him soon. It was really nice to run on the railway line again though as it’s been closed for a long time. Mile 15 was along the marina walkway, a lonely stretch and an uneventful mile as I passed Pairc Ui Caoimh and the relay leg was coming to an end shortly. I had only one Maurten gel with me and was at the end of this mile I decided to throw it down the hatch. It settled nicely and on we go.  

Miles 16-18 (5:25, 5:35, 5:28)

I was looking forward to the end of this relay leg as I knew I’d see lot of familiar faces around there. It would also be the start of the half marathon and a few of my club mates would be running that so I’d also see them. In that sense it was great to break the marathon down into the ~5 mile relay leg sections as they’re very manageable chunks mentally. Mile 16 was along centre park road, another typical haunt for sessions and lockdown time trials. I could see the mass of people up at the changeover ahead but also loads of people out jogging for the 10:15 half marathon start. I got a shout from a lone fellow around here who also told me I’m 6th in the marathon. I was almost going to correct him that I’m actually in 5th, but who am I to know? Maybe I am in 6th and of course I was. As I approached the relay changeover, the crowd was spine tinglingly raucous. I got some great shouts and encouragement from John and a few others who all told me ‘they’re coming back to you’. I didn’t know if they really were or not but I liked the idea of it and was generally loving all the attention. Soak it up I say. If I had to pick a mile in the marathon though where I struggled, I think this was it. Nothing major, just a distinct sense of fatigue in the legs and the knowledge I’ve another 10 miles to go. It was luckily short lived as I was revitalised when a fresh Fermoy relay runner, another fella I’d be friendly with, took up the baton. He came flying out of the traps and settled right in front of me as I stuck to his back. Up onto the Link road we go and I had a couple of small words with David the Fermoy runner. It doesn’t even matter what the words were, it’s just reassuring to be able to have a little chat at mile 17 in a marathon. Magic Viv appeared out of nowhere again here and again really happy to see him at this point. I took on some more Maurten drink and was running steady alongside David. I looked at the bottom of the bottle, “Relax” it said. It’s a real grounding energy for me when I look at a label I made up the day before while sitting chilled out at my desk at home. Apt timing for that message also, with 9 miles to go there’s still a hell of a long way to go. We take a left turn up another sharp ramp, it’s Togher time. This is where the hills get a little more serious and this is where the race starts to get real. Mile 18 is nice and steady. Viv is still alongside me with David still running strong on the other side. I take another drink before he sets off again to tend to Donal ’10 things’ behind me. It’s time for the climbs. 

Miles 19-21 (5:36, 5:24, 5:12)

The 19th mile is by far the toughest in the race. It almost a whole mile of climbing up Connelly road but I was well prepared for this having ran this section of the course on my last few long runs. I started to pull away from David here and I knew I was probably on my own from here on in. I was moving well up this climb and noticed in the distance that Eoin who was in 5th was starting to appear larger. I don’t think he was growing but rather slowing, and this was a great incentive to work up the hills and really get going for the last section. I just knew, I had a sense that I wasn’t going to struggle today and that I had plenty left in the tank. Energy levels were good, motivation was good and I really was enjoying my first marathon in 4 years. It was feeling already like a special day. I got to the top of the climb and passed Tory Top park, a bit of a milestone in the race as this is the highest point. That doesn’t mean the hills are over however. Mile 20 took me past the Lough, a Cork landmark and as I passed it I knew I was closing in on the much maligned 20 mile point of the race. It’s just an arbitrary round number but people speak of the race beginning here which I think has some truth to it. I hit the 20 mile mark in 1:51:xx so a quick calculation told me I’d actually slowed in the second 10 miles, not by a lot but my hope was to be there a whole minute quicker. This wasn’t a set back my any means, I’m still in and around my target pace and beside I’m feeling like I’ve plenty left in me. The 20 mile mark comes at a good point if you’re feeling good as it’s immediately followed by a lovely downhill and this is where I put in a 5:12 mile though I had no idea at the time I was running that pace, thankfully. I was really closing in on Eoin now and I was fully sure I’d be seeing him soon and we might have a bit of a race on our hands for the last few miles. Mile 21 would include the tough climb up Farranlea road by the Leevale clubhouse. This was a mile I’d been warned about by people who have run the course before. It’s a real pace killer and comes at a crucial point in the race. After this section though it’s pretty much all flat running home but if you happen to get it wrong it could be a very sorry way home. I had my eyes lasered on Eoin who was now maybe 200 meters ahead of me and still coming back. I still had to be sensible on this climb so when I came off Victoria cross road I took to the climb cautiously, I allowed the pace drop a little and then steadied myself when it flattened out as it's not over yet. I got some nice support at the Leevale water station at mile 21 and took a small sip of water. The days of thumbs up to the spectators were fading now, I had only energy to focus on what’s ahead of me, not to the side of me. 

Miles 22-24 (5:35, 5:26, 5:41)

I turned left up to Beantown cafe and this was the last climb the race. I focused hard here, not gaining any ground on Eoin but moving and breathing was controlled. Not particularly great breathing, considering the climbs but it’s all relative. I finally got to Beantown, who do delicious scones, and I'm really feeling the cumulative fatigue mixed with the preceding climbs and I needed a breather. If hills were video games, then I’d cleared the final level, defeated the boss hill and ahead of me lay a safe passage back to Patrick’s street. Ahead of me also was 5th position, and ahead of that I couldn’t even see. I figured if I could take that 5th position and get home keeping this pace, this would be a very good day at the office. Mile 22 was down Model Farm road, nice and flat but I was still in recovery mode from the hills but was now starting to gain on Eoin again. I passed through the final relay changeover point and noticed a few people but again didn’t quite have that energy to smile and wave. There was a nice sharp downhill in the middle of mile 23 and I used this to slingshot myself right up to Eoin. It was a matter of mere meters now and the confidence of taking 5th was strong. It was near the end of the mile when I came up alongside him. I don’t know the guy but he just said to me in a Northern accent “are you relay or full”. “Full” I replied, almost apologetic. “But It’s all flat from here on in, sit in there”, I told him, or something to that effect. Sat in he did, and I took up the lead. In a way I liked having company and a potential race on my hands but also I’d love nothing more than to just pull away now and finish this race. We turned on the straight road as the 24th mile kicked off. Again with the wind coming from the east, it was right in our faces and this started to feel really tough, especially as you stare down the barrel of a whole mile ahead of you. It was a stronger wind now. Well I think it was, maybe it was more-so the fact that it wasn’t mile 3 anymore. It could have been raining, I couldn’t tell you. It rained a lot that day. I could hear some grunting coming from Eoin behind but he was gallantly and stubbornly sticking to me and showing his true grit at this stage of the race. This was great. I didn’t expect to see Viv again (in fact he was actually apologetic about not getting to me enough) and it was pretty good timing as I asked him to go up and check who was ahead. I could see two runners but they were a good bit away so I wasn't sure what race they were in. He came back to me and told me it was marathon runners Gary and Alan. At mile 24 it felt like a little bit of a big ask to reel them in but something sparked in me and I started pushing the pace. Little did I know I wasn’t actually pushing the pace but rather restoring the pace. I took a small drink off him. The bottle could only say one thing, “Focus”. That’s all I needed now. I heard a grunt of almost resignment from Eoin as I started to put in a gap and I trudged through the headwind. I passed the Kingsley hotel as I hit the 24 mile mark. Water? No thanks, time to bring it home.

Miles 25-26 (5:35, 5:30)

I was gaining ground quickly on Gary. Could I catch him? Probably not given how quick road is running out but I’m going to try. I was now racing down the Mardyke walkway, the route I warm up on every Tuesday night, alongside the track I train on every Tuesday night. This is where I live, and work and train. I wasn’t having those thought then, I’m just having them now, for past Conor. This felt like a quick mile. I felt like I was flying, and picking it up but I wasn’t. I was running he same pace but persevering through the fatigue, the inevitable fatigue at this stage. Looking back now, I’m so pleased that I never actually slowed down in this marathon, which is a first. I hit the 25 mile mark and in there, along with the growing discomfort was pure and utter joy. I knew I was finishing strong, I knew I’d ran this well and paced it as planned but there was still a distant change of a better placing. Gary was still getting close and coming back to me but I also suspected given his pedigree, he’s not one to capitulate and would have enough to hold on. The gap was probably too big. I ran along the leafy walkway by the river, under the canopy of the looming green trees. This was a strange section, it almost felt like it wasn’t part of the race. Nobody was around. I ran in utter silence apart from my clapping shoes and gasping for the finish line. Finally I emerged onto the North Mall. I was hurting a bit now, it felt like it should at the end of a race, any race. I was putting in a big finish and it was sapping my already depleted energy. There's nothing quite like the fatigue of mile 26 in a marathon. It should have its own word. I turned at the bridge and some great shouts of support. Now straight onto North Main Street where the awkward cobble stones wouldn’t be putting any dent on my run, not today. Now left onto Washington street. A guy fell off his bike just at the corner. I distinctly remember seeing him just lying there on his back as someone rushed over to help him. It was a mild fall, I couldn't really have stopped could I? Gary was still coming back but as expected he had enough of a gap as we were only 400m from the finish. I put in as much of a finish kick as I could and thoroughly enjoyed that stretch down Patrick’s street as I glanced at the watch. I now knew I’d be coming home a 2:25 marathon runner. I crossed a happy boy, 5th place in 2:25:44. The second half was also bizarrely 72:52, neither a positive nor negative split but bang on. I was in a little daze and couldn’t quite believe it was over. Gary couldn’t believe it either and asked me was I a relay runner. Nope, and I nearly had you, I smiled. I had never chatted to him before, a nice guy. 

I shortly turned around to offer my congratulations to Eoin who I’d managed put 30 seconds into over the last 2 miles and there's no doubting he kept me honest over those last few miles and the entire 2nd half to an extent. He’d also run a massive PB so we were both in good spirits. I turned again, still a little dizzy and wobbling and was a little shocked to see my parents coming towards me. Is this real? They’d blagged their way onto the course and came over to me where I wrapped my arms around them both. It was a really nice moment for me and meant a lot that they had come all the way to watch. Then I saw my girlfriend Elena who was nearby leaning over a barrier. Seeing faces of loved ones really added to the occasion and emotions were a little raw. I then had to walk to the exit by myself. It was deserted and I had a short few moment to reflect on what had just happened. I couldn’t be but pleased with that run, it couldn’t have gone smoother and was executed pretty much to plan. This was exactly the marathon I wanted to run, steady, controlled and something I can build on. Even if I don't run another marathon, I'd happily finish up with that time.

I hung around for a while more to watch the half marathon runners come in but before long I was an absolute shivering wreck as the rain continued to pour down. Elena had to walk me to my car and I was a pathetic mess but a happy pathetic mess. I drove home and then dove straight into a hot steaming salty bath where I soaked in that elusive feeling of running a good marathon. It’s very, very rare that a marathon goes to plan like that and I’ve had many attempts at this stage which is why I knew to just enjoy it when it happens. 

I’ve realised a few things with this marathon. The training was simple, I had the confidence to under-train if anything and leverage the years and years of consistency and miles in my legs because that’s where that performance came from, not an 8-10 week block of training. I’m also not convinced that I need to do marathon paced sessions. Two of my best and most controlled and enjoyable marathons have come from just following the club sessions and doing no-frills easy 20 milers. This seems to work for me. If I compare the build up for Berlin and Cork, I was so fatigued from Berlin and went in slightly overcooked and under pressure. In Cork I went in undercooked and relaxed and ran the time I was hoping for in Berlin, on a harder course. The main thing is making the line however. I think I have a recipe for what works for me and it would make sense for me to just repeat this again for Dublin later this year, but that’s for another day. 

Cork is a fantastic little marathon. It's low key but really well supported and I really liked the route even if it is a little testing compared to the typical foreign routes. Maybe that's what makes it interesting. What’s next? Pretty much chill out for 2 weeks, see how the recovery goes and then we start again when the time is right. 

Summary: 5th in 2:25:44

Full results

The finish straight, last 200m or so. God that finish line was a sight to behold.

24 miles. Finally getting that gap on Eoin.

Post edited by jebuz on

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Excellent read and congratulations on a great run.

You kept us waiting for that report but well worth the wait. Hard to know what else to say really. A perfectly executed marathon. One of those days where it all just fits into place. You're a 2.25 marathoner - a pretty amazing achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Wow, that was some read. What a run, so well raced and the confidence to push yourself at 24 miles, that's incredible. Thanks for sharing, really interesting to read from someone at your level! Congrats on the super PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

A smashing read and a smashing race, well done, bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Really enjoyed that, many congrats on a great race. I like the relaxed attitude before and during, I think it can make a huge difference - provided you're in shape of course, which you obviously were. You describe the course very well - it's a great marathon, very underrated IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

An exceptional performance - wow!

Must feel magic when it all comes together and to know this during the event - tops the lot.

Brilliant performance captured perfectly.

• Advertisement

Brilliant read, well done on a perfectly executed marathon!

Advertisement