Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The nicest guy you could meet" Family beg young driver to slow down

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

stoneill wrote: »
    Young man died.
    Does he deserve sympathy?
    Life is precious, who knows what may have become of him.
    Cause of death was his own stupidity but who hasn't done stupid things.

your right of course. How many cars have you stolen? And I guess you are offering to recompense the car owner for all the money they are out too? And the person that owns the wall, for teh damage? And the emergency teams who attended? You will pay for all that? We are all just lucky its only himself he killed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its not just because he stole a car thats the issue:

1: He was drinking (Safe assumption considering he was at a party)
    2: He broke into a used car lot (Breaking and entering)
    3: He stole a car while under the influence (Theft & Drunk Driving)
    4: God only knows how many red lights he ran, how fast he was going, wrong way up one way streets etc.

In one night he broke numerous laws, not just one! It wasnt his first time cos nobody would just break into a lot to take a car as their first crime in fairness.

His aunt is never gonna put him down especially when its to the media and can cause some family tensions if she said the wrong thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

jmayo wrote: »
    The other thing with this is that even if the driver survives or the passenger survives they eat up valuable resources in our health system and actually take resources that non criminal contributing members of society are denied.

Wow what an awful attitude to have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Everyone (including criminals) who die are always "the nicest person you could ever meet".

BTW I didn't read the whole thread so if anybody made that point already I sincerely apologise, I'll buy you a pint for the plagiarism..

your right of course. How many cars have you stolen? And I guess you are offering to recompense the car owner for all the money they are out too? And the person that owns the wall, for teh damage? And the emergency teams who attended? You will pay for all that? We are all just lucky its only himself he killed
    Are you honestly comparing a car and a wall to the life of a young lad? What he did annoys me to no end but that's what the (admittedly week) justice system is for..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

The lad got off lightly...

Still... Such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

GerB40 wrote: »
    Are you honestly comparing a car and a wall to the life of a young lad? What he did annoys me to no end but that's what the (admittedly week) justice system is for..

well..yes to be honest...he is a loss to his family no doubt and all sympathy to them..But to the car owner thats where his loss is. Because of his selfish attitude other people who did no harm are at a loss.

Put it this way if you had a car you had saved for years for, first evening you get it, some scummer breaks into your house, beats up your family, you, etc, robs it and crashs into a wall killing himself and writing off your car. You claim, your annual insurance goes through the roof and you get 70/80% of the value back to you, after a few months wait.

You would say ignore the car, your familys anguish..and would have the sympathy as someones dead?

Of course the families going to say he's the nicest lad,their grieving so let them say what they want,

however Im not family

I think he's a scumbag thief he was and adult...He wasnt a kid!!

people do make mistakes but robbing cars isnt one of them...thats not a mistake...thats being a scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

GerB40 wrote: »
    I don't think he comparing the financial value versus life but don't kid yourself every life has a financial value. Decisions are made all the time based on value and the cost of life.

There are quite a few roads lined with trees. There is one in Paris that annually has something like 3 people die a year from crashing into the trees. They added up the loss of life versus the loss of the trees to make the road safer. The decided the trees were more important and kept them knowing people will die as a result.

Every government makes decisions like this. Life is common and not rare. The belief that all life is precious is false and an illusion people make for themselves.

He may have been a great loss to his family but it doesn't make him nice nor really a great loss to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

stoneill wrote: »
    Young man died.
    Does he deserve sympathy?
    Life is precious, who knows what may have become of him.
    Cause of death was his own stupidity but who hasn't done stupid things.

I've done plenty of stupid things. I've never done a scummy thing though.

The cause of death was his scummimess. I don't celebrate his death, but I'd be firmly in the 'meh' camp as regards the tragedy of his death. Horrible for his family and friends, but for the rest of us ... Meh. One less dole payment out of my taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭RoboRat

1: He was drinking (Safe assumption considering he was at a party)
    2: He broke into a used car lot (Breaking and entering)
    3: He stole a car while under the influence (Theft & Drunk Driving)
    4: God only knows how many red lights he ran, how fast he was going, wrong way up one way streets etc.

In one night he broke numerous laws, not just one! It wasnt his first time cos nobody would just break into a lot to take a car as their first crime in fairness.

I think you should leave the speculation to the media.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I don't think he comparing the financial value versus life but don't kid yourself every life has a financial value. Decisions are made all the time based on value and the cost of life.

There are quite a few roads lined with trees. There is one in Paris that annually has something like 3 people die a year from crashing into the trees. They added up the loss of life versus the loss of the trees to make the road safer. The decided the trees were more important and kept them knowing people will die as a result.

Every government makes decisions like this. Life is common and not rare. The belief that all life is precious is false and an illusion people make for themselves.

He may have been a great loss to his family but it doesn't make him nice nor really a great loss to society.

Good post, very philosophical.. You actually made me reconsider my initial opinion on this story which, if you knew me, is some feat. I'm a stubborn fúcker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Guys just because he stole a car it doesn't make him the devil. This thread is full of saints, everyone done a few wild things when they were younger.

But if posters when making theses comments in a thread about a teenager thst committed suicide for example they would be banned...

Who knows how he felt, he could of been depressed. But if someone committed suicide everyone would be expected to leave nice comments. I personally have no sympathy for people who take their own live but if I gave my own option the mods would ban me

WHY THEY DOUBLE STANDARDS? He was only a kid at the end of they day
    Sounds like the only one with double standards here is you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    As I said above who knows what was going on his head, make he stole the car because he was sick with life....everyone does stupid things when they are teens
    Yeah, like suicidal ideation is just a phase. :rolleyes: Get a grip.

Depression does not give you a carte blanche to put other people's lives in danger. This kid doesn't sound like he was depressed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jackal756

It's always the same people think their own family are perfect little angels I totally get the whole blood is thicker than water thing and there bound to be upset but defending the b-d after what he did Is the behaviour of an imbecile

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bio Mech wrote: »
    What you do makes you who you are IMO. Do bad things and it makes you a bad person.

Going to parties and then stealing and joyriding cars in the middle of the night is a bad thing.

Stupitidy at 18 does not map out the rest of your life. Anyone who thinks they know what their 18 year olds are up to 100% of the time are deluded.

Advertisement