Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The nicest guy you could meet" Family beg young driver to slow down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Thats just a turn of phrase though. Salt of the earth, couldn't meet a nicer guy etc. All that actually means is she thought he was a nice person.

Here we go again with this stuff. I'm just discussing what you posted to discuss. This is a discussion forum. I'm not nit picking (rich though given your argument that the guy wasnt "the nicest person you could meet") and I dont want an argument. But its clear from your posts the last thing you want in your own thread is a discussion.

I've read all your posts. I have no idea what your argument is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

The bitterness is oozing out on this thread..

In what sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

The bitterness is oozing out on this thread..

What!?

But didn't, hence them being in prison

Depends on who you'd define as a scumbag, really. Anyone that ever breaks the law? Anyone that ever breaks certain laws on a list that you've compiled?

Kinda subjective tbh. I know people who have done some pretty idiotic things in their younger years, and who are now upstanding members of society.. and are definitely not scumbags.

Is someone that, say downloads a few movies or albums illegally a scumbag? There are many many people who would consider such people to be no better than thieving scobes robbing a shop. But no sane person would think that way.. would they?

If any of your friends were convicted of breaking into a car dealership miles away from their home, driving drunkenly at speed and putting all other road users or pedestrians at risk of being killed then they were and are scumbags.

No bloody excuses. Plenty of ordinary pedestrians, cyclists and drivers were at risk of being killed, the passenger - who was in fact technically a child - was seriously injured.

Not like downloading a song is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I've read all your posts. I have no idea what your argument is.

Its not that difficult.

There is nothing particularly mysterious or wrong in people saying nice things about recently deceased family members.

The only issue here is a very poorly written article in a rag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

some of us make terrible mistakes in our youth and luckily can look back and think to ourselves what total bloody idiots we were back then

this lad wont

I don't think 'stealing a car' is on most people's list of mistakes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    WHY THEY DOUBLE STANDARDS? He was only a kid at the end of they day

He was a sc*mbag.

Both my parents cars were robbed from our driveway on the same night and both were found later that evening burnt out in Clondalkin.

They were devastated, obviously. Zero sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

It's classism at it's best. Death is a big price to pay for stealing a car. Should we also call for the deaths of those found guilty in the Anglo case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

William F wrote: »
    It's classism at it's best. Death is a big price to pay for stealing a car. Should we also call for the deaths of those found guilty in the Anglo case?

What has class got to do with it? Someone who steals a car is someone who steals a car. And you would find many people agreeing with the second part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

But didn't, hence them being in prison

Depends on who you'd define as a scumbag, really. Anyone that ever breaks the law? Anyone that ever breaks certain laws on a list that you've compiled?

Kinda subjective tbh. I know people who have done some pretty idiotic things in their younger years, and who are now upstanding members of society.. and are definitely not scumbags.

Is someone that, say downloads a few movies or albums illegally a scumbag? There are many many people who would consider such people to be no better than thieving scobes robbing a shop. But no sane person would think that way.. would they?

Are you hontestly trying to label breaking laws as black and white O.o

There is a recognised unspoken social acceptable norm for what makes you a scumbag and what makes you someone who just got themselves a fine. If you need help determining what constitutes a scumbag, your a lot less intelligent than i thought you were.

If i jaywalk because im running to catch my bus, im not a scumbag. This could kill someone as well as myself.

If i break into a car dealership and steal a car, im a scumbag. This could also kill someone as well as myself.

There is a huge difference between the two. One which im sure you dont need pointed out.

• Advertisement

No we shouldn't because the state didn't kill this guy. He killed himself. By crashing. The car. He stole. Himself.

He also could have killed others and he did harm his passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

My post was a response to a very specific statement as you well know! I never said the guy in question here wasn't a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

What has class got to do with it? Someone who steals a car is someone who steals a car. And you would find many people agreeing with the second part.

White collar criminals don't attract the same condemnation as working class criminals since there is already an attitude that the working classes are scum anyway and 'their' crimes just confirm that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

White collar criminals don't attract the same condemnation as working class criminals since there is already an attitude that the working classes are scum anyway and 'their' crimes just confirm that attitude.

I disagree, some of the biggest scumbags are white collar criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Good enough for them.

The only tragedy here is the poor car owner who has to get the car repaired / replaced.

no sympathy for anyone in the car.

It's true. I can't remember the last time people criticised Sean Fitz on these here boards.

I disagree, some of the biggest scumbags are white collar criminals.

Both the term "white collar" to represent only the elites, and the use of working class to exclude white collar workers and include what Karl Marx called the lumpen classes really boils my piss.

It's generally a form of argument used by the actual upper middle classes. Working class people are extremely hostile to the scumbaggery in their midst as it affects them most of all. Only a privileged elite can ignore it, like the class which produced our judiciary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

This woman has lost her great nephew - of course she is going to say he was the nicest lad you could meet. She loved him. He was 18. He's dead. FFS stop condemning the woman for saying something nice about him.

And yes this is all about young people slowing down and not speeding dangerously on the road - that is the primary issue. Whether he was doing it in his Dads car or his own or in this case a stolen one - the real issue is the danger to himself and others caused by speeding.

Joy riders - boy racers - its all the same. The fact that their Mammy's or Daddy's are stupid enough to let them drive their cars doesn't make speeding dangerously, playing chicken etc any safer.

If you want to start another thread about burglary and car theft that's a different issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Such a nice guy he broke into a BMW just to give his mate a lift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Ah sure wasn't Hittler a gas man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Ah sure wasn't Hittler a gas man

In more ways than one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Maybe the bugger should have learnt a lesson from other young drivers and saved up and bought a car himself. Just because it ended tragically doesnt warrant sympathy. Uninsured muppet driving a stolen car like a fool. As long as no bystander is hit I dont really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

wow sierra wrote: »
    This woman has lost her great nephew - of course she is going to say he was the nicest lad you could meet. She loved him. He was 18. He's dead. FFS stop condemning the woman for saying something nice about him.

And yes this is all about young people slowing down and not speeding dangerously on the road - that is the primary issue. Whether he was doing it in his Dads car or his own or in this case a stolen one - the real issue is the danger to himself and others caused by speeding.

Joy riders - boy racers - its all the same. The fact that their Mammy's or Daddy's are stupid enough to let them drive their cars doesn't make speeding dangerously, playing chicken etc any safer.

If you want to start another thread about burglary and car theft that's a different issue.
    No it is not. A joy rider has no care for the car and by their very nature will be speeding.

Where I come from you don't say somebody is nice when they aren't. The kids actions cry out over anything she says. The facts make what she is saying ridiculous.

This is no different from somebody defending a living person who has done something wrong. I don't make allowance because they are dead as a result of their action. I'd rather he didn't die but grateful others didn't.

Stealing a car is not some slight hijinks. This has very little to do with speeding and more to do with stealing a car to go joy riding in the middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Oh dear.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭RoboRat

No it is not. A joy rider has no care for the car and by their very nature will be speeding.

I agree. 'Lets go for a pleasant spin in the country with this robbed car and stay within the speed limits' said no joyrider, ever.

Boy racers have to pay for their car, modifications, insurance, tax, NCT, fuel etc. They may drive outside their competence level but they sure as hell don't want to write their car off.

Some people automatically associate a bored out exhaust as somebody speeding, a stupid spoiler as somebody speeding, go faster stripes as somebody speeding... I'm not saying that boy/girl racers are not a danger, road statistics indicate otherwise but they are nowhere near as dangerous as a joyrider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd not celebrate a death like this, however I do celebrate the fact he took himself out of the equation before he ended up killing innocent bystanders.

Very well put.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Joy riders - boy racers - its all the same.
    *palm insert face*. Not as eye swivellingly daft as comparing suicide with joyriding but it's a damn fine effort at daft. B+

Seriously though I'd be fascinated to see the thought process between cerebellum and keyboard that led to such a comparison. I think it's the simplistic answer that is the attractive one for many with the "speed kills" meme overpowering all logic, even when it is or should as obvious as the nose on ones face that such a comparison is daft.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Who care what his family says about him it there choice to think as they like about him or any family member they have.

A far more interesting question is why they did it, what family dynamics, mix of personal traits, lack of insight, lack of understanding of personal responsibility produces someone who steals a car for excitement, why the need for excitement, the need for a reaction.

Put simply why do some teenagers, put their head down work hard, study and so on and why do some teenagers chose to committee crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Young man died.
    Does he deserve sympathy?
    Life is precious, who knows what may have become of him.
    Cause of death was his own stupidity but who hasn't done stupid things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The nicest guy you could meet"

The nicest car thief in the graveyard.

Advertisement