Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The nicest guy you could meet" Family beg young driver to slow down

Options
  • 22-04-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/family-begs-young-drivers-to-slow-down-as-teen-is-killed-in-car-crash-30205475.html

So you read the headline and think tragic accident and the family just making sure others don't have to suffer the same. Then you read the story and find out it is not quite as it seems. The car was stolen! So this isn't about young drivers needing to slow down. Maybe the family should come out and say people shouldn't steal cars and go joyriding.
    His great-aunt saying "the nicest guy you could meet" is just odd to me. The nicest person I could meet is not going to be a car thief and if that is the nicest you can meet you need a better class of people to interact with.

I get grieving but I don't get why people make up stuff. An 18 year old hanging a round with a 16 year old stealing cars is not a nice person. I wouldn't want him dead but his own risky behaviour caused his death. It was not speeding alone and really doesn't have much to do with normal young drivers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Everyone is automatically the greatest person ever once they die.

An absolutely bizarre feature of our society. We are all going to die someday, does that mean i can just be despicable while i'm here because nobody will remember it anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Well they have just lost a family member who they were all probably very fond of. What do you want them to say ? "He was always nice and kind to us but clearly he was a sack of shít if he stole a car". ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

At least it shows the lack of any grasp of what was actually happening. We should be grateful there wasn't another innocent road user or Garda hurt or killed. It's sad for the family no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I love how the aunt's message is, "Don't drive unless you are well able". So if you are able to drive, then presumably stealing and joyriding are just fine.

OK, so the family are grieving, they're not thinking like that, that's why we have editors and journalists who should filter it out. Top drawer stuff from the Indo as usual.

This is neither an accident, nor tragic. It's the inevitable consequence of self-destructive behaviour. Yes, his own actions are to blame but he didn't become a scumbag overnight. This family stood by and watched him become a criminal over the last decade, and did nothing. Their tears are genuine, but my sympathy is limited.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/family-begs-young-drivers-to-slow-down-as-teen-is-killed-in-car-crash-30205475.html

So you read the headline and think tragic accident and the family just making sure others don't have to suffer the same. Then you read the story and find out it is not quite as it seems. The car was stolen! So this isn't about young drivers needing to slow down. Maybe the family should come out and say people shouldn't steal cars and go joyriding.
    His great-aunt saying "the nicest guy you could meet" is just odd to me. The nicest person I could meet is not going to be a car thief and if that is the nicest you can meet you need a better class of people to interact with.

I get grieving but I don't get why people make up stuff. An 18 year old hanging a round with a 16 year old stealing cars is not a nice person. I wouldn't want him dead but his own risky behaviour caused his death. It was not speeding alone and really doesn't have much to do with normal young drivers.

A few weeks ago a thread on the FB of The Star newspaper was a mishmash of semi literate txtspeek character references for some lovely young lad who knifed a stranger half to death at the Swedish House Mafia gig.

Or what about that traveller X Case rapist some years ago who went on to attack an elderly woman. Wife still stood by him, his reptile mother claimed it was the fault of the victim's family for having her living alone at her age. Or on the same vein, the Tony Martin case in England some years back. He shot dead a 16 year old with 29 prior convictions who was described as a "lovable rogue" by his family.

Now, in truth this young lad may well be a decent skin who made a stupid mistake, I've known a few in the day, but the fact remains he stole a car in the company of a younger kid and was as big a danger to Joe Public as to himself driving it like he was. If he killed himself driving my stolen property I would probably look at it as a small consolation for the loss of my vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The other thing with this is that even if the driver survives or the passenger survives they eat up valuable resources in our health system and actually take resources that non criminal contributing members of society are denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Maybe the youngfella was the nicest guy she could meet, I don't know. What I do know is that this kind of blathering annoys me as well, and that this episode it largely the fault of that lad's parents.

seamus wrote: »
    This family stood by and watched him become a criminal over the last decade, and did nothing.

Where are you getting this from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

An absolutely bizarre feature of our society. We are all going to die someday, does that mean i can just be despicable while i'm here because nobody will remember it anyway?

"Only the good die young."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It was like they just plonked in the "car was stolen" and promptly moved on thinking people would forget and reengage the sympathy.

• Advertisement

I think the thing about this isnt what the family said its the way that article is written.

Here's the Irish Mirror covering it. They didnt print much from the family bar a statement that they didnt want to talk as it just happened. The indo went off and found a great aunt to get a quote from the family.

The indo is a rag in denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So true. A 21year old male died recently (allegedly from a drug O/D) in my home town, he was a low life thug with a string of convictions and prison sentences. He made his neighbours life hell, yet when he died he was described as an angel gone to heaven, the life and soul of his family and an all round good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'd have sympathy for the Guy and his Family. I8 year olds can do stupid and crazy things , it doesn't necessarily make them bad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

CJC999 wrote: »
    So true. A 21year old male died recently (allegedly from a drug O/D) in my home town, he was a low life thug with a string of convictions and prison sentences. He made his neighbours life hell, yet when he died he was described as an angel gone to heaven, the life and soul of his family and an all round good guy.

All this "luv u babe xxx" crap on Ye Booke of Faeces is usually written by similar little thugs to the deceased.

This isn't the aunt's fault for mourning her nephew, It's the indo's. I know from personal experience what their "journalists" do. They take little pieces of what you say and they twist them to make an article that gets people talking. They leave out important stuff and fill in the gaps.

The sooner people learn to take every word written in these rags with a pinch of salt, the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

CJC999 wrote: »

It isn't just the scum in all fairness. The amount of times some local noveau riche Champagne Charlie is derided and hated by the locals for their Celtic Tiger Billy Big Bollocks lifestyle before we even had a CT, off he goes and croaks it and 90% of the parish turn up at his funeral. It really is one of those "only in Ireland" things. I even heard a few people go on with "ah he wasn't all bad, he got a lot of free fuel for the elderly" when Charlie Haughey passed on. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

some of us make terrible mistakes in our youth and luckily can look back and think to ourselves what total bloody idiots we were back then

this lad wont

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

He's not only killed himself whilst joyriding, hes destroyed the life of a passenger in the car. We all made mistakes in our youth but some mistakes are more forgivable then others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

It's a shame it didn't happen to anyone from the tabloids.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Family and friends will always ignore the bad and try to remember the good when mourning a loved one. The fact he stole a car isn't important to them. The fact their loved one is dead, is.

Ignore how the media spins things. A man died. His family are in mourning. Whether he was a good guy or a scumbag, he has people who will miss him greatly. Whether his death was the result of his own actions or otherwise, it doesn't change the devastation of death for those closest to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

They are always good guys to their family though, even John Gilligans family think he's a great guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

The Muppet wrote: »
    I'd have sympathy for the Guy and his Family. I8 year olds can do stupid and crazy things , it doesn't necessarily make them bad people.

What you do makes you who you are IMO. Do bad things and it makes you a bad person.

Going to parties and then stealing and joyriding cars in the middle of the night is a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    His great-aunt saying "the nicest guy you could meet" is just odd to me.

Is it as odd as the fact that a scumbag journo would contact her looking for her reaction? What an absolute rag it is. Who genuinely cares what family members have to say anyway?.. it doesn't change what happened.

The only reason the cnuts printed it is for the obvious reaction it'd draw from people like yourself. Well done on being played like a fiddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I've never subscribed to the Everybody-is-Worthy-of-Love approach.
    Why?
    Because - clearly some people's actions and choices mean they are not.
    This 'character transformation' that death brings needs to have a light shone on it in our society. It is the enshrinement of hypocrisy and it is disgusting to those of us who value truth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nice people don't steal BMW's and go joyriding, only scumbags do that.

I'm just glad he only ran into a wall and not into somebody else's car,

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I had a cousin die in a car crash many years ago, it was a very sad time for family and he wasn't much older than the deceased here in this incident, but my cousin didn't rob a car, his car skidded on ice as he drove to work just before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

One less scumbag car thief on the roads, happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I remember a local scumbag got shot in a park a few years ago - not too far from where I lived.
    A few days later and the railing around this park was covered with bouquets of flowers, wreaths, cuddly toys and cards. This guy was an out and out dickhead, I don't believe he ever contributed anything positive to society - quite the opposite in fact.

I remember thinking at the time that if I had been in the park at the time and had been shot by mistake I don't think I'd have anything like the same level of displays of public affection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Is it as odd as the fact that a scumbag journo would contact her looking for her reaction? What an absolute rag it is. Who genuinely cares what family members have to say anyway?.. it doesn't change what happened.

The only reason the cnuts printed it is for the obvious reaction it'd draw from people like yourself. Well done on being played like a fiddle!

You could say that about any person's death, why would anybody care what the family says? You could be right that they said it for impact. I haven't given it much amazing thought or time into anything.

How do you know I didn't make the easy statement expecting the usual reaction to media stories from people like yourself? It isn't like you have given some amazing insight into the media.

I know people react this way and speak of obvious scum bags as angels once they die. The indo did not create this type of reaction. My comment is actually about why do people do this. The indo didn't create the comments on the similar story about the guy who died after stealing a taxi.

But whatever your comments are not insightful nor even the point people do this. So reacting the way you have is just being played like a fiddle and is practically like hearing John Waters think he has some unique correct insight. You and he don't:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

GenieOz wrote: »
    One less scumbag car thief on the roads, happy days

whatever his crime nobody deserves to die like that.
    gloating at his death is knacker behaviour.

nobody here knows his previous record , he could have made a once drunken error of judgement or not.
    I don't know. You don't know.

he was 18 and now he is dead. there are no winners in this stop acting like there is.

Advertisement