Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Sure with your 66million you can go anywhere now ;)

It was won in Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Rippington

London .Take away the whole image of the bobby on then beat , red post boxes ,buses , royalty etc and you discover the city is as English as Bombay .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Manilla.

The sewer of the Philippines.

Dirty, seedy, beggers everywhere, nasty fleshmarket bars, etc etc.

Everywhere else in the Philippines has been brilliant, but **** manilla man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Manilla.

The sewer of the Philippines.

Dirty, seedy, beggers everywhere, nasty fleshmarket bars, etc etc.

Everywhere else in the Philippines has been brilliant, but **** manilla man.

Going to the Philippines in the next year hopefully. Heard not many good things about Manilla. But like Bangkok, feels like a place you just have to see with your own eyes. That said, Bangkok sounds like a clean place compared with Manilla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rippington wrote: »
    London .Take away the whole image of the bobby on then beat , red post boxes ,buses , royalty etc and you discover the city is as English as Bombay .

I just love London.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Brussels Belgium.I know im not alone on this one. I thouroughly hated every minute I was in this city. It was blanketed in fog the whole time I was there making it unbareably humid as the heating in every building was set to 11. Food was the worst I have ever had anywhere in the world and to top it off I found many of the locals to be rude and unhelpfull.

Cologne Germany, apart from the impressive (if rather dank) cathedral I found little else of interest there. It felt like I was walking around in the 80's, everything had a dull concrete vibe.

Phnom penh Cambodia, frightfull bleak place.Just have to look out over the city at night to know what I mean. Cambodians themselves where lovely friendly people but the only reason anyone goes there is as a stop off while heading on to Siem reap.

Canberra Australia, It looks and feels like a larger version of the Shannon Industrial estate if you got rid of the airport and replaced it with the Australian Parliament building (which is not particularly impressive either) There is absolutely no reason to visit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I really didnt like Prague. It was pretty Ill admit, hard to say otherwise, but to me the buildings all looked so fake. Like so much unnecessary decoration, I hate sounding so fussy but I felt like I was on a fake movie set in disneyland the whole time. I feel bad putting down a city over the weather but I was expecting a beautiful blanket of snow when I visited just after christmas but it just pissed rain.

Scammer taxi drivers and salesmen. Unnecessarily rude locals, and I mean really ****ing rude. Theres cold/unfriendly, then theres outright rude prague locals.
    The city was also eerily quiet which I found uncomfortable, a lot of streets in the city centre have NOBODY on them at nighttime, and Id say 50% of the people I met/saw in the daytime were foreign tourists.
    This homophobic asshole in one of the clubs also gave me and boyfriend some trouble and it just really upset me seeing as it has never happened me in dublin or any other european city before, I don't even know if he was czech but sadly it put quite a big downer on my memories of the city overall as it occurred on our last night there.
    I visited Edinburgh, Paris, Prague, Vienna and Budapest on my trip and Prague was by far my least favourite. Enjoyed the other 4 cities a lot actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Is that a bad thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Is that a bad thing or a good thing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Going to the Philippines in the next year hopefully. Heard not many good things about Manilla. But like Bangkok, feels like a place you just have to see with your own eyes. That said, Bangkok sounds like a clean place compared with Manilla.

I've never seen such a collection of human misery and filth in one place before.

The city planners and mayor should be lined up and executed. It's truly appaling.

Other than that, i've been to cebu island and bohol island, both have been great. Rent a moped and cruise bohol, stunning place.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Adorable

I quite like most of the cities I've been to, and if I ever had the chance to go again for a visit, I probably would. But if I had to pick, two places I wasn't overly fond of would probably be Nigeria (I know it's not a city) and Galway.

I was pretty young when I lived in Nigeria (I think that's where I lived) and only stayed for a few months. As someone who's biracial, I got a lot of stares and rude remarks. Children refused to play with me and even the teachers would hit me for absolutely no reason at all and would call me things like "tomato" and "albino" instead of my real name.

Same thing for Galway, really. I lived there for a good few years as I child and I don't think a day went by without people staring at me with shocked and/or disgusted faces. Grown men and women would literally gawk at me with their mouths wide open. The N word was passed around quite a bit and a lot of people would come up to my mum and ask her if she adopted me (!?). There were also the odd few people who would go as far as telling her that what she did "was not right".

They're not exactly at the top of my "To Go" list but maybe things have changed now, who knows. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The tourists spot for many...Estoril. Nothing there but apartments and a hotel and a very small beach.(I'm a regular visitor to the Lisbon area)
    Beira in Mozambique, the only 5 star hotel ( that I know of) to never open and become home to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The tourists spot for many...Estoril. Nothing there but apartments and a hotel and a very small beach.(I'm a regular visitor to the Lisbon area) Beira in Mozambique, the only 5 star hotel ( that I know of) to never open and become home to the masses.

A bit harsh on Estoril. Its a suburb of Lisbon and I can think of worse suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Las Vegas - absolute kip

Only went there as part of a southwest USA national park tour.

Tacky and offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Las Vegas - absolute kip

Only went there as part of a southwest USA national park tour.

Tacky and offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Bari in italy. Not an awful lot in it seems to be just a seafront and an old town which is not as pretty as other old towns in italyour. I wouldn't say it's an absolute dive just a bit boring. The restaurants there don't seem to as good as other places in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Delhi, scamming tourists is an art form there.

Is that a bad thing or a good thing :confused:

Some people think a lot of diversity is a positive thing. I think London is an example of a city with too much diversity and has started to lose any english identity as a result. Some diversity is good. The majority of a cities population being a first or second generation immigrant is not a good thing in my opinion/

Adorable wrote: »
    I quite like most of the cities I've been to, and if I ever had the chance to go again for a visit, I probably would. But if I had to pick, two places I wasn't overly fond of would probably be Nigeria (I know it's not a city) and Galway.

I was pretty young when I lived in Nigeria (I think that's where I lived) and only stayed for a few months. As someone who's biracial, I got a lot of stares and rude remarks. Children refused to play with me and even the teachers would hit me for absolutely no reason at all and would call me things like "tomato" and "albino" instead of my real name.

Same thing for Galway, really. I lived there for a good few years as I child and I don't think a day went by without people staring at me with shocked and/or disgusted faces. Grown men and women would literally gawk at me with their mouths wide open. The N word was passed around quite a bit and a lot of people would come up to my mum and ask her if she adopted me (!?). There were also the odd few people who would go as far as telling her that what she did "was not right".

They're not exactly at the top of my "To Go" list but maybe things have changed now, who knows. :P
    Thats horrible! but of course they have changed, even in galway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well I'm kinda contradicting the title in this but I haven't gone to cities I felt of never returning to again as they were all good. However, a place I would never go to is NORTH KOREA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

sryanbruen wrote:
    Well I'm kinda contradicting the title in this but I haven't gone to cities I felt of never returning to again as they were all good. However, a place I would never go to is NORTH KOREA.

I would love to see it.

Always say I would go anywhere for a week. That should strike a balance between curiosity and durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

anncoates wrote: »
    Drunshambo.

And I wouldn’t much care for Sierra Leone,

If I hadn’t seen Killenaule,

And the man that was never in Mullinahone

Shouldn’t say he had travelled at all”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

You'd probably find an Irish bar in North Korea somewhere. :D

I've heard the food is terrible though. It's mainly fermented spice paste served with various animal penises.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

First Up wrote: »
    I would love to see it.

Always say I would go anywhere for a week. That should strike a balance between curiosity and durability.

Kabul? Mogadishu?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Anywhere in Egypt. Absolute kip

I wouldn't go near Africa. I feel very sorry for the people who live there though :( in the very poor countries such as Mali. Africa is way too hot for my liking as well as the conditions of living in the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've no intention of going back to Rome again, went there last April and couldn't wait to leave it. My husband feels the same.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

deisemum wrote: »
    I've no intention of going back to Rome again, went there last April and couldn't wait to leave it. My husband feels the same.

What was wrong with it? As far as I'm concerned Rome is one of the most amazing cities in the world and I'd happily go back there any time.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    What was wrong with it? As far as I'm concerned Rome is one of the most amazing cities in the world and I'd happily go back there any time.

Yeah. I remember back when I was 10, I wanted to go to Rome very badly but because of our budget, we couldn't afford to.

Advertisement