Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I wouldn't go near Africa. I feel very sorry for the people who live there though :( in the very poor countries such as Mali. Africa is way too hot for my liking as well as the conditions of living in the continent.

Jesus, that's an entire continent you're sticking on the list. If poor conditions of living is a reason not to visit, add half of south america, asia and limerick to the list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Cienciano wrote: »
    Jesus, that's an entire continent you're sticking on the list. If poor conditions of living is a reason not to visit, add half of south america, asia and limerick to the list too.

What's bad about Limerick? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What's bad about Limerick? :confused:

It's too close to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Galway.
    was there earlier in 2015 for the first time in c15 years. no atmosphere. pubs and clubs full of stag and hen parties. Just found it boring.
    Nothing to bring me back.

Poughkeepsie in New York, apart from a view of the Hudson the place has nothing going for it. Boring spot, worse than Midleton :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Plenty of people live very nice lifestyles in Limerick. I know I certainly do. Well paying job, zero debt, multiple foreign holidays a year, short commute to work, no crazy traffic, good quality well constructed housing that passes it's fire inspections. Just to name a few things.

As if the living conditions are any worse, or even as bad, as many parts of Dublin.

TheShow wrote: »
    Galway.
    was there earlier in 2015 for the first time in c15 years. no atmosphere. pubs and clubs full of stag and hen parties. Just found it boring.
    Nothing to bring me back.

Well if you spent your time in the pubs and clubs that's hardly surprising. There's plenty to see and do in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

deisemum wrote: »
    I've no intention of going back to Rome again, went there last April and couldn't wait to leave it. My husband feels the same.

Completely agree. Shocking amount of graffiti in it. Everything dear. North African beggars at epidemic proportions. You can't even enjoy a meal in a restaurant without them coming in to stand over you begging. Staff don't care. Trevi Fountain wrecked by a beggar insisting on "giving" my wife a red rose then demanding money. When I offered him a euro, he got annoyed. My wife handed him back the rose and we left. I dunno. It has some nice sights but there are too many problems with enforcement and things not working

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭brianp20

Brussels has to be the worse place I've ever been. I hated every minute of it and would never want to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I wouldn't go near Africa. I feel very sorry for the people who live there though :( in the very poor countries such as Mali. Africa is way too hot for my liking as well as the conditions of living in the continent.

You sound like you know as much about africa as the average Irish 5 year old, it is a continent with a population twice the size of the european unions, a landmass as large as China, India, europe and USA put together, with thousands of different ethnic groups, climactic variations, cultural variation, wealth and quality of life variations between regions, thousands of cities that are as about as alike as Dublin and Beijing, and all you can say about it is that its poor and hot..sad really that we can put down an entire continent like that due to media brainwashing our views of it with destructive trocaire ads

• Advertisement

I've no intention of going back to Rome again, went there last April and couldn't wait to leave it. My husband feels the same.

Care to enlighten us as to why you feel this way??

Also, having been to South America and Asia, I can safely say it would be your loss not to visit. So many amazing places you would be missing out on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

First Up wrote: »
    A bit harsh on Estoril. Its a suburb of Lisbon and I can think of worse suburbs.

True, Alfrigide is probably worse:)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Kaunas, Marijampole - both in Lithuania. I heard Vilnius is meant to be a great city but unfortunately I didn't get to see. Kaunas and Marijampole though, my god what sh1tholes. I probably wouldn't go back to Bialystok (Poland) either, full of neo-Nazis. I probably wouldn't go back to Hyderabad in India, in fact I wouldn't go back to many cities in India (though I would most definitely go back to many places in India).

Oh yeah and Birmingham, fvck Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Kaunas, Marijampole - both in Lithuania. I heard Vilnius is meant to be a great city but unfortunately I didn't get to see. Kaunas and Marijampole though, my god what sh1tholes. I probably wouldn't go back to Bialystok (Poland) either, full of neo-Nazis. I probably wouldn't go back to Hyderabad in India, in fact I wouldn't go back to many cities in India (though I would most definitely go back to many places in India).

Oh yeah and Birmingham, fvck Birmingham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Nashville, Tennessee, awful lot of hype about the place but didn't find it very interesting or much life about the city at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Tangiers. There's never been a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭deisemum

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Completely agree. Shocking amount of graffiti in it. Everything dear. North African beggars at epidemic proportions. You can't even enjoy a meal in a restaurant without them coming in to stand over you begging. Staff don't care. Trevi Fountain wrecked by a beggar insisting on "giving" my wife a red rose then demanding money. When I offered him a euro, he got annoyed. My wife handed him back the rose and we left. I dunno. It has some nice sights but there are too many problems with enforcement and things not working

Yep this was our experience too. The place was overrun with North Africans blocking and surrounding tourists and they wouldn't take no for an answer. They were very threatening and the police didn't care. If you tried to side step them they'd keep blocking you and their mates would surround you. This was before all the migrants started crossing the meditterranean in huge numbers, I'd hate to see what it's like now. Then we had the Roma gypsies targeting tourists at the train stations. Others in our group had the same experiences.

Yep this was our experience too. The place was overrun with North Africans blocking and surrounding tourists and they wouldn't take no for an answer. They were very threatening and the police didn't care. If you tried to side step them they'd keep blocking you and their mates would surround you. This was before all the migrants started crossing the meditterranean in huge numbers, I'd hate to see what it's like now. Then we had the Roma gypsies targeting tourists at the train stations. Others in our group had the same experiences.

Think you're too polite to them, Id curse at them if they were to be that rude to me. But maybe they were ruder to you because you're female (Im guessing by your username). Also don't make eye contact with them if you see them, they only really approached me if I looked at them (accidentally) I noticed.

Brussels Belgium.I know im not alone on this one. I thouroughly hated every minute I was in this city. It was blanketed in fog the whole time I was there making it unbareably humid as the heating in every building was set to 11. Food was the worst I have ever had anywhere in the world and to top it off I found many of the locals to be rude and unhelpfull.

Cologne Germany, apart from the impressive (if rather dank) cathedral I found little else of interest there. It felt like I was walking around in the 80's, everything had a dull concrete vibe.

Phnom penh Cambodia, frightfull bleak place.Just have to look out over the city at night to know what I mean. Cambodians themselves where lovely friendly people but the only reason anyone goes there is as a stop off while heading on to Siem reap.

Canberra Australia, It looks and feels like a larger version of the Shannon Industrial estate if you got rid of the airport and replaced it with the Australian Parliament building (which is not particularly impressive either) There is absolutely no reason to visit here.

The killing fields museum in Phnom Penh is a must see if you're in Cambodia in my opinion, the only reason to stop in Phnom Penh and what brings most people there I'd imagine. The river looked nice but we had so many warnings from the locals of how dangerous that area was that we didn't venture near it. The tuk tuk spin to the killing fields was fecking hilarious tho, through dirt roads etc.

• Advertisement

rodge68 wrote: »
    Can't say I was ever scared in Rio and I thought the city was full of good looking women !!
    London has nice areas but does contain alot of knobs and is soo expensive..
    Not a big fan of Paris...qu'elle attitude ..

Thought Rio was fab and apart from one rainy day, it was nearly 40 degrees c every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Mashad in Iran.

Stopped there overnight before crossing into Afghanistan following the 'Hippy Trail' to India in 1975.

Me and a Canadian backpacker were caught up in a crowd of people that was heading for the third holiest Mosque in Islam. So many people crowded in a small passage that we were just pushed along and straight into the Mosque. Then someone noticed that we were tourists and started screaming and shouting and beating us. We were lucky to get out alive.

Avoid Mashad and just about anywhere else in that country.

Mashhad is actually spelt in an unusual way. Yes, the two 'h's is correct. Was iin Tehran and other Western parts of that country and found it pleasant and a LOT different to the negativity we hear from the media. This was in the Khatami era, pre-Iraq war times. I was informed to avoid Mashhad and other places in the East especially Sistan-Balochistan area. The Afghan war was on and there was a significant threat from separatists there.

Judging any country tends to be based on experience and I cannot say anything only positive things about Iran itself, its people and how I was treated. Of course one can criticise how it is or was governed and how there is a massive rich/poor divide. The East of the country where I did not get to is very poor I'd say but even the West of the country has major class divides. Just go to the rich part of Tehran which is like any Western city really and then go to the smog-infested poor part and it is almost like a totally different country/city.

Now, the other country you mention (Afghanistan) is a place I would not go to at all. Yet back then it was a lovely place by all accounts and totally different to today. Perhaps the Iran of 1975 was a different country to the version I was in in 2002. As of 2016, Iran would probably be the only Middle Eastern country I would go to and feel relatively safe in to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Ruu wrote: »
    Nashville, Tennessee, awful lot of hype about the place but didn't find it very interesting or much life about the city at all.

Was never there. If it is full of awful contemporary country music of the type the media are fond of here, then definitely it is a no no. If I could go there and totally avoid that, then it may be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Cienciano wrote:
    Kabul? Mogadishu?

Well war zones might be the exception.

sryanbruen wrote:
    I wouldn't go near Africa. I feel very sorry for the people who live there though in the very poor countries such as Mali. Africa is way too hot for my liking as well as the conditions of living in the continent.

Some parts of Africa are truly delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

The killing fields museum in Phnom Penh is a must see if you're in Cambodia in my opinion, the only reason to stop in Phnom Penh and what brings most people there I'd imagine. The river looked nice but we had so many warnings from the locals of how dangerous that area was that we didn't venture near it. The tuk tuk spin to the killing fields was fecking hilarious tho, through dirt roads etc.

True, that is worth a visit and is quite a sombre experience. The tuk tuk rides down the back streets were the highlight I'd say, great fun waving to all the locals and getting a picture of what life is like. The city itself though was bleak concrete. tenements and I always felt on guard. I just thought north Vietnam offered a similar experience while feeling safer and more freedom to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Frankfurt is a bl00dy awful place. There's more character and soul in a used car battery.

Brussels should be walled off and only politicians let in & out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Frankfurt is a bl00dy awful place. There's more character and soul in a used car battery.

Brussels should be walled off and only politicians let in & out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Brussels I can totally agree on.

I've had some good times in Brussels. Great food.

Advertisement