Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

dan1895 wrote: »
    Oh dear. Spent one night there and was bored out of my mind. Everything was closed before it even got dark.

Depends what you want, but restaurants, pubs and clubs are all open to the early hours. If you're there over a weekend during the football season, you can take in a game at pretty cheap prices mostly, Lake Como is 30 mins away on a cheap regional train. During the summer, people tend to laze around in some of the many local parks and avail of the pools therein etc
    Also, some fantastic open air nightclubs particularly suited to the summer months, come to think of it, I might go back some time (although, I've maybe outgrown the night clubs, or more truthfully, couldn't handle the massive shots they hand out for the price of a single).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wouldn't go that far. I found Munich very clinical and oh so dull. Plus the Germans themselves call Frankfurt "Bankfurt' Sums it up really. Have you ever gone out in a banking city. Its either old foggies or w@nkers.

If you found Munich dull, it says more about you tbh. Never been to Frankfurt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Depends what you want, but restaurants, pubs and clubs are all open to the early hours. If you're there over a weekend during the football season, you can take in a game at pretty cheap prices mostly, Lake Como is 30 mins away on a cheap regional train. During the summer, people tend to laze around in some of the many local parks and avail of the pools therein etc
    Also, some fantastic open air nightclubs particularly suited to the summer months, come to think of it, I might go back some time (although, I've maybe outgrown the night clubs, or more truthfully, couldn't handle the massive shots they hand out for the price of a single).

It was summer when i was there. Luckily Florence, Rome and Verona saved the trip. All great places.

Being from cork i was only waiting for someone to suggest my beautiful city and of course there was a stammering of "cork kip" probably limerick people...jealous of us...seriously Though i say Moscow...dangerous kip

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Milan
    Basel
    Kansas City (it's not even in Kansas)
    Malmo
    Nottingham
    Waterford
    Valencia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Jesus...went following ireland team and the locals were pricks..one fella was pulled in by police for singing on street and we had to give them money to let him go..very menacing..went to tallin in estonia as well and it was beautiful and folks were great...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This post has been deleted.

My mate was there, he was robbed by the police. They actually took his shoes! He reckons the locals were sound, just keep away from the police. That was about 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Backpacked through Kenya Tanzania and Zanzibar a good few years ago, these countries maybe nice booked with a safari company but not independent, the cities of Nairobi Mombasa and dar Es Salaam are right shi*e holes, you couldn't let your guard down at any time, but have to say Zanzibar was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Cork,limerick,Dublin, if I had the choice I'd never go back,I'm from County Cork btw

• Advertisement

Very good...i think its just cities you don't like..seeing as you emphasis the "county" in your location...country boys cant cope with the big ****ty...not a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Marcc wrote: »
    Very good...i think its just cities you don't like..seeing as you emphasis the "county" in your location...country boys cant cope with the big ****ty...not a typo

No mate, I love city life,I lived in both London and ny for a while, the reason I said I lived in County Cork was that even though I do I hate Cork city and our paths will cross regularly even though if I never saw the place again it would be too soon

Fair enough...it has its downside thats true but i dont think id say i hate it..thats just me anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Edmonton in Canada. The most boring, drab soulless city I've been in yet.

Did you go to Winnipeg? It's Edmonton x 100 when it comes to drab and boring!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Have to admit, being in Paris on Nov 13th doesn't exactly fill me with an overriding need to hurry back to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Glasgow. Did a bus tour. Highlight was a cinema which the tour guide described as "formerly the tallest cinema in Europe".

Would also add a vote for Frankfurt, about which I remember very little, aside from a public transport fiasco whereby I could not use notes to pay for a U-Bahn ticket in the machines and the one human being in the station would not give out change or sell tickets. Or speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Milan. Jesus, coming from an Italian town in the countryside, you really can't breathe with all the pollution around, especially in summer. People also recommend so much about having an 'aperitivo' along the Navigli, like if it's the best experience you'll ever have in your life since everyone who's *someone* in Milan does it. I don't see how eating while being stormed by mosquitoes is considered cool.

Freiburg, Germany

Louisville, Kentucky. The city (or town?) is okay and I really appreciated the architecture of some buildings, but you're going to find every southern American stereotype possible.

Frankfort, capital of Kentucky. Just nothing to see, only the Capitol Building which is probably as big as the whole town.

Lansing, capital of Michigan. Really nothing to see or do there.

Gary, Indiana. I stopped by because I was going to Chicago and I knew Michael Jackson's house was there. I didn't find his house and the atmosphere in that town is that someone's about to murder you if you ever stop your car.

Belfast. There's nothing really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Glasgow. Did a bus tour. Highlight was a cinema which the tour guide described as "formerly the tallest cinema in Europe".
    Glasgow has its weak spots but its a cracking place, humming with creativity and energy.
    Would also add a vote for Frankfurt, about which I remember very little, aside from a public transport fiasco whereby I could not use notes to pay for a U-Bahn ticket in the machines and the one human being in the station would not give out change or sell tickets. Or speak English.

Aw shucks. Maybe foreign travel isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Paris, loved it as a child but on subsequent visits in my adulthood it always felt like the drab sister compared to the cool britannia vibe of London. Although as a victim of its own success and popularity its so damn expensive now in London, think I paid 40 quid for return ticket on heathrow express this month :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I wouldn't go back to Lisbon. Very dull and boring with unfriendly locals. Lots of drug dealers hassling you on the streets.

I wasn't mad about Amsterdam either. The Dutch people are very friendly though.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Glasgow has its weak spots but its a cracking place, humming with creativity and energy.

I'm sure the same could be said of most of the cities named in this thread. When you only have a short time to visit a place, it's easy to miss the hidden gems. I had a couple of days in Glasgow (most of which was dominated by a conference) and didn't find anything to encourage me to return. That doesn't mean there was nothing good there, it just means I didn't find it.

It's not an insult to you, or a contradiction of your own experience. Try to take it in the curmudgeonly spirit of this thread.
    Aw shucks. Maybe foreign travel isn't for you.

Seriously, what's the matter?

I'm sorry I insulted Glasgow. We good?

It's not an insult to you, or a contradiction of your own experience. Try to take it in the curmudgeonly spirit of this thread.

No problem, but maybe a bus tour isn't the way to get an insight into a city.
    Seriously, what's the matter?

Blaming a clerk in a German train station for not speaking your language?

kefir32 wrote: »
    Paris, loved it as a child but on subsequent visits in my adulthood it always felt like the drab sister compared to the cool britannia vibe of London. :

Seriously?

Paris drab, London great?

Don't get me wrong, I love London. But I would never describe it as more attractive than Paris. I appreciate you are talking vibe more than architecture, and perhaps that's where London does pull ahead. But I certainly would not put Paris down as drab or a place I wouldn't go back to.

No problem, but maybe a bus tour isn't the way to get an insight into a city.

Surely it is isn't, but I was travelling on business and rather than leave Glasgow with no memories but the inside of a hotel room and a conference centre, I figured I'd use the bit of free time I had to see as much of the city as I could.

I also did some shopping and had a nice coffee.
    Blaming a clerk in a German train station for not speaking your language?

I'm not blaming anyone for that, I'm relating a bad experience that had a lot of contributory factors.

They all spoke German in Berlin and Munich too and I loved those cities.

Any time you feel like getting with the spirit of the thread would be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Seriously?

Paris drab, London great?

Don't get me wrong, I love London. But I would never describe it as more attractive than Paris. I appreciate you are talking vibe more than architecture, and perhaps that's where London does pull ahead. But I certainly would not put Paris down as drab or a place I wouldn't go back to.

architecturally yeah paris has the edge over UK capital but in terms of overall experience and culinary wise London now towers over Paris. It now exceeds paris in terms of overall visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Feck sake !! Is there anywhere enjoyable at all?
    I think i'll stay in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

You inspired me to create a thread where people can list all their fav. cities ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sure with your 66million you can go anywhere now ;)

Any time you feel like getting with the spirit of the thread would be just fine.

As in making blanket statements about places based on unrepresentative experiences and your own failings?

Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Cork,limerick,Dublin, if I had the choice I'd never go back, I'm from County Cork btw

And the award for least surprising revelation of the day goes to ....

Advertisement