Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Frankfurt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Berlin most boring city ever. People are very unfriendly it's all fairly dull and drab.
    Frankfurt

So just avoid Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Berlin most boring city ever. People are very unfriendly it's all fairly dull and drab.

What!!!!

I can't wait to get back. Jumped on a train to get about 10 minutes outta the city centre (to what I have to admit looked like a run down version of Dublin in the 80s) but had one of the best nights of my life. Incredible place just burbling under the cover.

But back on Topic. Belfast is that city I'll never return to. Awful grim place clearly scarred by the recent past and still very much struggling to get over it. That and it's ugly. Looks like an accident.

But back on Topic. Belfast is that city I'll never return to. Awful grim place ckeqrky scarred by the recent past and still very much struggling to get over it. That and it's ugly. Looks like an accident.

I love Belfast.

Maybe it's because for years I just heard of places like Sandy Row, the Falls Road and Shankill Road in connection with atrocities.

I found it fascinating to go into them and see a whole different culture, even on the Falls Road the way they wear their Nationalist identity, to see places like Frizells Fish shop and remember what happened there, passing the old Crumlin Courthouse etc. Not beautiful, admittedly, just interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Brussels. If you think the Germans are boring...

Literally the only highlight was the waffles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Nairobi tops my list of places to never return to, it was without doubt the most unpleasant place I have ever been too and has nothing to recomend it. Mombasa I quite liked but it is still a third world city so it's not exactly safe and could be a bit challenging sometimes.

Although I didn't love Nairobi, the baby elephant sanctuary, giraffe farm, and the Kazuri bead factory were all good fun. There's also a really beautiful park/reserve in the middle of the city - I can't remember what it's called. I was shown around by friends who live there and we hired a driver they know well, so that helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Faith+1 wrote: »
    So just avoid Germany?

Berlin and Munich are ok but most German cities are boring. The thing I hate most about Germany is their food. Pure stodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Cincinnati, just passed through it in 2001, it was a few months after they had riots and there was this tall building with lots of broken windows, so was happy to just pass through as the broken windows gave an image that the place wasn't that nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Despite the fact that nearly every city I've visited in italy is beautiful milan is a pretty boring city. The train station is probably the nicest building in the place wouldn't be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

armaghlad wrote: »

Have you ever been to Hannover?

A dour kip.

• Advertisement

Despite the fact that nearly every city I've visited in italy is beautiful milan is a pretty boring city. The train station is probably the nicest building in the place wouldn't be rushing back.

The cathedral is neat, as is the shopping area nearby. But you go through miles of industrial areas to get to that. And the San Siro is impressive. But wouldn't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Los Angeles, the sterile Beverly Hills type areas coupled with gangbanger barrios & a fukkload of freeways. And the people were as emptyheaded as could be. Kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I just hate cities. I never wish to be Any city again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Stigura wrote: »
    I just hate cities. I never wish to be Any city again.

Ok? Start boozing early?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Birneybau wrote: »
    Ok? Start boozing early?

Feel free to elucidate ~ or not. I just don't like cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I loved Brussels, don't see why people hated it.

For me it would have to be Kuala Lumpur, absolutely stinks, had no appeal whatsoever.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Mashad in Iran.

Stopped there overnight before crossing into Afghanistan following the 'Hippy Trail' to India in 1975.

Me and a Canadian backpacker were caught up in a crowd of people that was heading for the third holiest Mosque in Islam. So many people crowded in a small passage that we were just pushed along and straight into the Mosque. Then someone noticed that we were tourists and started screaming and shouting and beating us. We were lucky to get out alive.

Avoid Mashad and just about anywhere else in that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I went to Brussels for the first time just before christmas, I liked it. Some brilliant pubs
    Berlin and Munich are ok but most German cities are boring. The thing I hate most about Germany is their food. Pure stodge.

German cities are all great, one of the best things about them is the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Oklahoma City. The most featureless, boring city I was ever in.

Apart from the Oklahoma National Memorial,

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/dawn-breaks-over-the-oklahoma-national-memorial-on-the-day-of-timothy-picture-id1321295

nothing at all of interest that I could find anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Leeds (unless I'm through from the airport).

Not bad per se, just rather boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Cienciano wrote: »
    I went to Brussels for the first time just before christmas, I liked it. Some brilliant pubs

German cities are all great, one of the best things about them is the food.

Wouldn't go that far. I found Munich very clinical and oh so dull. Plus the Germans themselves call Frankfurt "Bankfurt' Sums it up really. Have you ever gone out in a banking city. Its either old foggies or w@nkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Deank wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Hannover?

A dour kip.

Has a couple nice green parks, not as crap as Frankfurt. Munich I found dull but thumbs up to Berlin, Freiburg, Mainz and Wiesbaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Milan. You expect more from it due to it's reputatuon, but agree a lot of it is industrial and it's also quite expensive.

Sydney beyond the harbour it's a bit brash really. Given how far away it is you only go once anyway.

Budapest, met lots of fed up taxi drivers there. Again don't think it warrants a visit back but the spas are an experience.

Atlanta you might want to see once and it's a huge hub for flights but it's very modern and corporate. LA I don't plan to return to either. Lots/most US cities anonymous like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

o no have milan booked for a 3 night stay in june :(

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Edmonton in Canada. The most boring, drab soulless city I've been in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

o no have milan booked for a 3 night stay in june :(

Oh dear. Spent one night there and was bored out of my mind. Everything was closed before it even got dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

armaghlad wrote: »

Completely agree.
    Was there about 10 years ago for a weekend and there was nothing to do, it's so drab, pavements had dog crap everywhere. Really uninspiring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

There's some nice areas of Milan, the Duomo is impressive and Castello Sforza etc, that said, it's Italy's industrial base and bear in mind that most of it was razed to the ground as it was bombed by both sides in the second world war, so in general, it ain't pretty.
    I suppose getting back to the OP question, I lived in Milan for a few years and haven't been back since I left, so, it can probably go on the list!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Naples
    "See Naples and die"

Advertisement